Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 11-04-20, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 669 Likes on 552 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

It was on Epix.

Who knew you could do a mashup of Depeche Mode "Everything Counts" and Madonna's "Material Girl"

Old 11-04-20, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 180 Likes on 145 Posts

The Accidental Tourist - This is one of those movies that I never got around to watching. In this comedy-drama, William Hurt plays a travel book writer who's son was murdered a year ago and as the story opens his marriage falls apart. He then falls into a relationship with a free-spirited women (Geena Davis in her Oscar winning role). I liked the first hour or so, but the film kind of lost me in the second half, and it just goes on forever.
Old 11-05-20, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 196 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Daughters of Darkness (1971) ó Well directed I suppose but the plot felt a bit jumbled at times, has just enough bizarre moments to keep me interested but can't say it's good, but still worth checking out. ***/*****
But is it worth the $50+ they're asking for it on 4K....
Old 11-05-20, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 196 Likes on 174 Posts

Underworld 4k UHD Amazon Prime
Trendy Vampires vs Trendy Werewolves, -you know the drill.

So I see Kate Beckinsale in her long coat and her leather gear with the guns and I want to see this movie. That's why I saw it in the theater back in the day and that's why I bought it on DVD and again on blu-ray. I was disappointed the first time and I just keep hoping it gets better with time. So here it is on Prime, -Free-ish, -in 4K and I see Beckinsale in her "Death-Dealer" outfit and I've got to watch it again. And it looks great. However, after about an hour of all this constant blabber about "Lycans" and "Death-Dealers" I just want to pound my head into the wall. All these actors UK actors chewing the scenery with wild abandon, while poor old Scott Speedman can barely get through the soup course. I had to walk away. I might not even watch the sequel, -also in 4K.
Old 11-05-20, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was not bad and something different.

The German girl was hot as F.

Old 11-05-20, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Name of the Rose - This isn't available to stream anywhere so I had to get out my DVD. It's atmospheric and interesting, though probably a little too long. While it had been a long while since I had seen the movie, I did see the 8 part limited series last year with John Turturro. That was a lot too long. And as much as I like Turturro as an actor, he is no Connery. Obviously since I just saw it last year I remembered who the killer was, but to be fair I knew who the killer was in the miniseries too...not necessarily because I remembered from the movie, but probably more because they cast a too famous actor for such an otherwise small part.

Old 11-05-20, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 359 Likes on 302 Posts

District 9 (2009)

Hadn't re-watched this film in a long while.

Still love it.
Old 11-05-20, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 946 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
'Quake' in a leotard!
She kinda reminds me of a young Alyssa Milano in that clip.
Old 11-06-20, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

She also wore a two piece bikini in Valley Girl

Even watching this the day before Halloween for the first time in HD does not make the movie better.

Old 11-06-20, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Before I Go to Sleep - Thriller with Nicole Kidman playing an amnesiac who's memory resets every morning. Colin Firth plays her husband who may or may not be on her side. Mark Strong plays her doctor who may or may not be on her side. Kidman is very good, and the movie worked for awhile, but ultimately I didn't think very much of it.
Old 11-06-20, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 177 Posts

The Irishman (2019) — Wanted to love this but there were moments where I sort of lost interest. And while I don't at all mind lengthy movies (Godfather Part II and Apocalypse Now are two of my favorite movies), this one was probably a good 20-minutes too long IMO. That said, nice to see De Niro at least trying to act rather than sleepwalk through a role and seeing Joe Pesci was great. Pacino however I never 100% bought into playing Hoffa. Guess it's worth checking out but doesn't hold a candle to other Scorsese's films. ***Ĺ/*****
Old 11-06-20, 06:47 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 861 Likes on 730 Posts

Life (2017)...highly underrated sci-fi creature feature with an amazing cast and true scares and thrills. why this didn't do so well in the US is beyond me. this is my second viewing and i think it was better than the first. the twist ending is fantastic. the whole movie is fantastic and i truly was on the edge the whole time. the creature is scary and unstoppable and absolutely chilling. great movie.
Old 11-06-20, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Irishman (2019) ó Wanted to love this but there were moments where I sort of lost interest. And while I don't at all mind lengthy movies (Godfather Part II and Apocalypse Now are two of my favorite movies), this one was probably a good 20-minutes too long IMO. That said, nice to see De Niro at least trying to act rather than sleepwalk through a role and seeing Joe Pesci was great. Pacino however I never 100% bought into playing Hoffa. Guess it's worth checking out but doesn't hold a candle to other Scorsese's films. ***Ĺ/*****

It might be the final time those actors work together in one movie so that will hold a special place in my heart.

I will need to see it again to make a final judgment.

Old 11-06-20, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was not bad though a mesed up ending
Old 11-06-20, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
It might be the final time those actors work together in one movie so that will hold a special place in my heart.
I would say it's very likely. Last time Pacino and De Niro starred together was that mediocre (from memory, only watched it once) Righteous Kill (was very disappointed in that one being only their second movie following Heat). And given Pesci apparently turned down the role numerous times, can't see him doing another project unless he caught the acting bug or something.
Old 11-06-20, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My Giant - I've always liked Billy Crystal, but this was pretty mediocre.
Old 11-07-20, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - My Marvel re-watch and my Redford project collide. This is still my favorite of the MCU movies. I'm glad they are bringing back Emily VanCamp for the new Falcon/WS show.
Old 11-07-20, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 359 Likes on 302 Posts

Vivarium (2020)

Great Production Design, as well as fantastic performances from Imogen Poots & Jesse Eisenberg.

The problem I had with the film is that while it started strong and is creepy throughout, it doesn't really go anywhere.
Old 11-07-20, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Deadly Games: Dial Code Santa Claus (1989) — Fun killer Santa Claus horror-thriller that took a bit to get going (found the first 35-minutes to be a bit dull), but after that some truly suspense-filled scenes and hilarious moments with the kid going all out on Claus. A mish-mash of Home Alone meets Rambo with a little John Wick thrown in. ***Ĺ/*****

Funny little tid-bit, the main kid is now a visual effects producer, worked on The Dark Knight, Avatar, Gravity, San Andreas, The Revenant and X-Men: Dark Phoenix.
Old 11-07-20, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 357 Likes on 209 Posts

Operation Christmas Drop (2020) - Netflix

Old 11-07-20, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mallrats (1995) — Only the second time seeing this (last was probably in the early 2000s on DVD) and thought it was okay but guess like others, this has grown on me. Laughed throughout even when the dialogue wasn't the greatest, but I have an appreciation for sarcasm so I gravitated towards Jason Lee's character the most. Not quite sure it's on the level of Clerks or Chasing Amy (have to re-visit those) but a solid comedy. ***ĺ/*****
Old 11-07-20, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mallrats (1995) ó Only the second time seeing this (last was probably in the early 2000s on DVD) and thought it was okay but guess like others, this has grown on me. Laughed throughout even when the dialogue wasn't the greatest, but I have an appreciation for sarcasm so I gravitated towards Jason Lee's character the most. Not quite sure it's on the level of Clerks or Chasing Amy (have to re-visit those) but a solid comedy. ***ĺ/*****
It's been awhile since I watched it in any form, but I remember enjoying the movie more with the original commentary track on than the actual movie.
Old 11-07-20, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mwbmis
It's been awhile since I watched it in any form, but I remember enjoying the movie more with the original commentary track on than the actual movie.
I had listened to that commentary back in the day, probably will give it another listen while I work on my computer tonight.
Old 11-07-20, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 797 Likes on 530 Posts

Goonies
The UHD just arrived in the mail today. I’ve seen this movie more times than I can possibly imagine. This transfer looks great.
Old 11-07-20, 10:28 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 861 Likes on 730 Posts

Texas Chainsaw 3D...gotta say, good 3D and really not a bad movie. I actually liked it more than I probably should have. I donít know why, hit the same horror tropes as every garbage remake/reimagining that comes along, but this was a little different and connected with me, especially end. I even stuck around for the extras. I donít know how they were going to make 6 films from this like Saw which the producer said and I guess definitely not happening given this is 7 years old now, but I quite enjoyed this all around. Itís short, gets to the point, the kills, some surprises and truthfully not that bad. 3D isnít going to be reference, but there was some nice depth and chainsaw popout. Really thought the movie would suck, it didnít. Definitely got my $10 worth and see watching again. Thatís really what matters.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.