Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 10-29-20, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Back to the Future Part III (1990) — As with Part II, I've come to appreciate this one more, a great blend of sci-fi and western and features once more some fine performances from both Fox and Lloyd, who each do great work portraying different characters (or at least for Lloyd a different time version of Doc Brown). Beyond that, well done set and costume designs and a good enough story to conclude the trilogy. ***¾/*****

V for Vendetta (2006)
— V for Vendetta movie isn't a movie I really ever loved when I first saw it back in 2006 and again I think when it came out on DVD or Blu-ray some years ago, and after re-viewing this time... I pretty much feel the same way. It features some good performances from Hugo Weaving (commendable since it was almost completely behind a mask) and Natalie Portman. However, it is a bit heavy handed and too on the nose (perhaps that is in keeping with the graphic novel), and I didn't really have an emotional connection with the characters or story. There's also nothing that really stands out from scene to scene. ***½/*****
Old 10-30-20, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Wonder Woman (2009) - I've been meaning to watch this for years. It was alright.
Old 10-30-20, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

We Summon the Darkness

Old 10-30-20, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Tenant - Odd film directed by and starring Polanski. I'm not sure what to think of it, which, in a way, is a good thing.
Old 10-30-20, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Predator - This week's Arnold is one of his "A" level movies. I finally decided to watch my 4K disc. While this movie has never looked great on home video, this presentation looked pretty good. I always liked this cast, and it almost makes you wish they had gone ahead and done a prequel with these guys on a regular mission.
Old 10-30-20, 10:21 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

The Last Starfighter...what a fun movie. I was so in the mood for this and it didn’t disappoint. The transfer was stellar and the 5.1 was boisterous. Very clear voices and great sound effects. Bluray.com made a big deal of the inclusion of the 4.1 track. Why would that be a big deal when it had the original mono and 5.1? One less speaker doesn’t seem like it should be a big deal, but to me the 5.1 sounded best. Really impressed by transfer. Catherine Mary Stewart still looks good, but weird that her interview, while recent was in b/w. That was odd. The 30+ minute doc was rough and def not HD, but interesting and they seemed to think that the CGI was groundbreaking for the time. I dunno. Was it? I mean it looked like archaic Apple IIe graphics, perhaps better, but I’m sure not revolutionary like the makers made out to be, but nice vintage making of nonetheless.

This is just a fun movie, saw it in theaters and enjoyed just as much now. Even got chills when everyone came to see Alex break the record. Really good presentation all around.

I never see new releases immediately, but just felt like a fun romp and this certainly was.

Highly recommended for fans of fun, 80’s nostalgic, space adventures. Arrow did this up right.
Old 10-31-20, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To Have and Have Not - Bogart and Bacall's first film together (and her first film altogether) also bears some similarity to Bogart's famous film with Bergman. Certainly this story is a little more straightforward than their next film together (The Big Sleep). Of course they famously fell in love on this picture. It's funny though. Bogart was in his mid-40s, and Bacall while playing 22 was still (visibly) a teenager, and there is no real reference to their age difference in the movie.
Old 10-31-20, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dr. No - For obvious reasons....
Old 10-31-20, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

I saw it on Cinemax with Michael Shannon and Shea Whigham who have done a lot of stuff together.

I thought it was great
Old 10-31-20, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

It was better than the Road to Paloma
Old 10-31-20, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Swing Time - I had planned to watch this this morning, but the Connery news changed that. Still, I needed to get it in today because it was the last day on HBOMax. It had a much more interesting plot than Top Hat a few weeks ago but doesn't quite have the numbers that that one has. It also has the extended "Bojangles of Harlem" sequence with Astaire in blackface. I still find Rogers delightful though.

The Wind and the Lion - John Milius film with Connery as a Berber Sharif (of course!) who kidnaps an American woman. There are some entertaining moments, but I don't think the film entirely comes together.
Old 11-01-20, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

The Mothman Legacy (2020)

Fairly straight-forward Documentary regarding the Mothman sightings in Point Pleasant, WV.

Wish the film leaned a bit more into the history & folklore of the Mothman, as well as the town of Point Pleasant, WV.

Could have done without the bad Visual Effects sprinkled throughout the film.
Old 11-01-20, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Party's Downstairs (2019)

Part of an Indigenous Horror (Online) Film Festival. A good friend of mine is the lead in this.

Low-Budget with scrappy acting but Director Mike J. Marin still managed to surprise me with a few spots within the film.

Bring the Smudge Sticks!
Old 11-01-20, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Chubbies (2014)

Low-Budget Sci-Fi/Horror/Comedy about escaped aliens who force their way into the assholes of their potential hosts, hoping to reproduce and take over the world.

Everything about this film is (obviously) over-the-top. Laughed a whole bunch.
Old 11-01-20, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Robin and Marian - This has such a great cast that I wish it was a better movie. They certainly deserved a better movie.
Old 11-01-20, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - I hadn't seen this since in the theaters. It's still shit.
Old 11-01-20, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,001 Likes on 621 Posts

The Moon-Spinners (1964) - This was one of Hayley Mill's Disney movies, and costars Eli Wallach as the antagonist. I saw some of Mills's movies when I was a kid in the 70s/80s, like Parent Trap and That Darn Cat! I remember watching part of this one when visiting some relatives with my parents, but we left partway through and I never saw the rest. Anyway, it's on Disney+ now and I gave it a watch. Not all that good, unfortunately. It starts out okay with the introduction of the characters and the building of suspense, but the second half of the movie is kind of tiresome. It's aimed at kids/teens and the whole thing is like a Hardy Boys movie. On the plus side, Mills is cute (though kind of annoying) and the movie is visually appealing. It was "Filmed in Technicolor" and was filmed in part on-location on the island of Crete. There is some nice scenery and the color palette gives it a distinctively 60s look.

Old 11-01-20, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Darby O'Gill and the Little People - Silly Disney film about an old Irish caretaker who is trying catch leprechauns. A young Connery makes for a dashing romantic lead. It's fun for awhile, but the third act gets a little weird.
Old 11-02-20, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Outland - Peter Hyams' High Noon in space with Connery in the Gary Cooper role as the new Marshall investigating a series of strange suicides on a mining station. Entertaining in spots. I saw this years ago, but the only thing I thought I remembered about the movie didn't actually happen in the movie so...
Old 11-02-20, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

White Fire (1984) — While there were a few good bad moments early on, the rest was either really dull or downright creepy with an incestuous relationship between Bo Donnelly (Robert Ginty) and Olga who gets plastic surgery to look like his sister who was killed, and the pair have some sort of romance going. Beyond that, the plot gets really muddled by the finale to the point I had no idea, nor had much interest, with what was happening. **/*****
Old 11-02-20, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

The Autopsy of Jane Doe - very effective, under the radar horror flick. And it had Emile Hirsch in a role where I didn't want to punch him.
Old 11-02-20, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,001 Likes on 621 Posts

^Yeah, I thought that movie was pretty creepy. And Brian Cox is always good.
Old 11-02-20, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Night Owls - Adam Pally and Rosa Salazar star in this loose remake of the Apartment. I like both Pally and Salazar, and while this doesn't break any new ground I did enjoy spending time with these characters.
Old 11-03-20, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From Russia With Love - Personally, I've never been a big fan of Dr. No. To me, even Connery is still searching a little for his James Bond in the movie. That having been said, in the next three films he is absolute aces. As for the rest, while Bianchi is a beautiful yet somewhat wimpy heroine, the Robert Shaw/Lotte Lenya combo are my favorite villains in the entire series outside of Christopher Lee, and I can't say enough good things about what Pedro Armendariz does as Karim Bey. The fact that he pulled that off even while on death's door is all the more remarkable.

I always waffle between this film and the next as to which is my favorite Connery Bond film. Goldfinger is probably the more entertaining movie, but it is also sillier, thus the push-pull. In any case, it's either my second or third favorite Bond movie ever made (behind OHMSS).
Old 11-04-20, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Daughters of Darkness (1971) — Well directed I suppose but the plot felt a bit jumbled at times, has just enough bizarre moments to keep me interested but can't say it's good, but still worth checking out. ***/*****

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.