Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 09-16-20, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Had a couple days of last weekend and watched..

Lawrence of Arabia. Somehow had never seen it. Just extraordinary in every way. A masterpiece.
The Thing from Another World. Great, and entertaining throughout.
Harlan County USA. It was on TCM. I'd seen it several times before, and had it on while doing paperwork. Still as good as ever.
Old 09-16-20, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Then the wife picked one. Great cast, mediocre Hallmark-level film.
Old 09-16-20, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,002 Likes on 622 Posts

Border - I watched this on Hulu. It's a Swedish modern fantasy film, and it's good, but really freaking weird and has some pretty disturbing elements. It's kind of slow, but the oddity of it kept me interested.
Old 09-16-20, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I rented 3 movies on DVD yesterday

Hard Kill was another in a long line of straight to video trash with Bruce Willis in a supporting role.

Beckman was not bad for a super low budget action thriller.

Rogue was super goofy, but I kind of enjoyed it.
Old 09-17-20, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Adventureland was great.

I thought it was ok in 2009 but in 2020 I loved it for some reason
Old 09-17-20, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was not bad though I liked it more for the drama and characters than the humor
Old 09-17-20, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts

Frankenstein and the Monster From Hell Amazon Prime
I've bought quite a few of Shout's Hammer blu-rays, but I just couldn't make myself buy this one. I've seen stills of the monster and it's just looks so awful and threadbare that it's poisoned the movie for me. That being said, the film's available on Prime so I thought I'd actually take a look at the thing. Peter Cushing is reliable as always and it has some atmosphere, but that monster "suit"... there's just no explaining it....

Last edited by DWilson; 09-17-20 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-17-20, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyp007
The Thing from Another World. Great, and entertaining throughout.
It took me a long time to come around to the idea that the John Carpenter film was better than the 1951 adaptation. Even though I now lean towards the 1982 movie, I still have a lot of affection for the Christian Nyby film and will revisit it from time to time.

ооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооооо

TIFF Screening:

Chloы Grace Moretz plays Maude Garrett, a flight officer and mechanic, who is safeguarding a top-priority package contained inside a flight bag. At the last minute, she catches a ride on The Fool's Errand, a B-17 bomber with a crew of seven consisting of Americans, a Scotsman, and a Maori co-pilot from New Zealand.

Garrett has paperwork from the top brass indicating that she is on a classified mission and that the crew are to ask no questions. It's 1943, though, so the thought of a woman as a flight officer is completely outrageous to the all-male crew and they repeatedly mock and question her. Albeit reluctantly, Captain Reeves agrees to take Garrett on board but insists she has to ride in the Sperry turret (i.e., the ball turret where the belly gunner sits underneath the plane), forcing her to leave her package with Staff Sergeant Quaid (Taylor John Smith)--the only airman who isn't giving her a hard time--since the space in the turret is so cramped that she wouldn't be able to fit with her cargo.

While in the turret, Garrett glimpses another plane below The Fool's Errand but isn't sure if she actually saw what she thought she did. Worse yet, she then spots what looks like an animal on the underside of one of the wings. Her attempts to report the sightings are met with deep skepticism until other members of the crew also believe they've seen either unidentified aircraft or a creature of some kind.

Anyone who's familiar with The Twilight Zone (or The Simpsons) will instantly realize that this movie uses the same premise as 'Nightmare at 20,000 Feet' where a monster has latched itself onto the outside of an airplane and only one passenger ever sees it. Shadow In The Cloud changes things up with its WWII setting (The Fool's Errand actually takes off from the Auckland Allied Base in New Zealand), allowing the story to examine male attitudes towards women in some detail.

A fair bit of the first act focuses on Garrett as she's lodged in the belly of the B-17 and her overhearing the chatter of the crew. She listens as radio operator Taggart (Byron Coll) calls her 'some stuck-up tart', another man says that she has 'one of those mouths you could just **** all day', and so on. Even when Garrett reveals that she can hear them over comms, the men continue the verbal abuse with one airman saying to her, '99% of WAFs (Women's Auxiliary Force) is lesbians and 1% is whores. Which one are you?'

It's ironic that there's so much focus on chauvinism and toxic attitudes towards women given that Max Landis is still credited with a writing credit on this film. In the TIFF Q&A, writer/director Roseanne Liang and Moretz never mention his name and discuss how they talked a fair bit amongst themselves about the character and the situation in which she finds herself. It could very well be that Landis's contributions were minimal and that the decision to spotlight toxic masculinity was Liang's, but there would be all sorts of things one could take away from this part of the movie if it were revealed that Landis wrote the sexist dialogue.

Liang also quite rightly mentioned in the Q&A that this is a genre film, an area where she seems most comfortable as evidenced by her short films on Vimeo. While the movie incorporates male toxicity in the story, it's ultimately a creature feature/WWII action film that often goes over the top. Liang throws in a CG-created stunt that goes well beyond being unbelieveable but scores some serious points for its sheer audacity.

Unfortunately, the film's budget shows as green screen use is rather obvious (and distracting) in parts. As well, the soundtrack is just bizarre--the driving synth beats sound as though they were lifted straight out of an '80s thriller. This might work for some people, but I'm just not accustomed to hearing a really '80s-sounding score in a film set in 1943.

On the plus side, Liang and Moretz squeeze a fair bit of drama out of Garrett being stuck in the Sperry turret for at least half the movie. They strictly adhere to the premise as things happen in the cabin of the plane that Garrett can only hear, and those incidents are depicted as what she envisions.

Also, the design of the monster is quite good. In interviews, Liang mentioned that she studied hagfish, bats, and other animals to get the look of the creature, and the final product is pretty striking.

Shadow In The Cloud is a solid effort and does something a little different with the genre by having a female lead in a WWII horror-action movie. As another telling of 'Nightmare at 20,000 Feet', it's different enough and contains enough additions to justify its existence. Good, but not great, this film is a pretty entertaining entry in a subgenre that could stand to be revisited more often.

Old 09-17-20, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Ghost Ship (2002) - Another second viewing flick, wasn't a big fan the first time and basically thought the same now. There are some fun cheesy moments here and there but kind of like Thirteen Ghosts (same director), has some interesting ideas that don't amount to much. Course, I'm also not much of a fan of supernatural horror movies as they play fast and loose with the rules. **╜/*****

The Goonies (1985) - Second time seeing this and while it's not quite the classic in my book, still a fun family-adventure flick with some nice production design and a nice cast along with some great talent behind the camera with Spielberg producing (and story), Chris Columbus's script and Richard Donner directing. Added bonus for me being an Oregonian and this filmed in Astoria. ***╜/*****
Old 09-17-20, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Except for the first scene with the naked girl who could not act for shit the rest was shit

I know shocking news.
Old 09-17-20, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A lot of big names in this thought it peetered out in the middle and never recovered

Not horrible but could have been better

Christopher Reeve was credited as one of the directors.
Old 09-18-20, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Bill & Ted Face The Music (2020)

The film was light-hearted and more enjoyable than the 2nd film but I don't see myself revisiting this very often.
Old 09-18-20, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Rental (2020)

Dave Franco's Debut is shot well and filled with a more than able Cast, with Alison Brie & Sheila Vand standing out here.

Still, the overall result feels like Dave Franco making a Horror/Thriller film that we've all seen a thousand times before.
Old 09-18-20, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Queen of Blood Amazon Prime
John Saxon, Dennis Hopper, Basil Rathbone. Written and Directed by Curtis Harrington. 1965

A low budget SF thriller constructed to utilize special effects scenes from a big budget Russian SF film AIP had acquired. In faraway future of 1990, a team of astronauts answer a distress call, and rescue a green-skinned alien woman, not realizing she's a blood-sucking predator. Harrington has made a really competent film though it's a bit campy and it can be laughably low budget. Really worth catching if you can appreciate this type of "Drive-In" filler from The '60s.
Old 09-18-20, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kind of slow but you like the characters
Old 09-19-20, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ghost In The Shell (1995)

Love this film. Always a great time re-visiting it.
Old 09-19-20, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

#Alive (2020)

Korean Zombie film that is shot well but feels similar in places to The Night Eats The World (2018) and countless other Zombie films.

I really do wish more of the film was similar to the first 15-minutes.
Old 09-19-20, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Devil's Advocate (1997) — Apparently I saw this before (had a rating on my computer program) but didn't really remember much of it. A bit uneven between a serious drama with supernatural fantasy, but I had fun with these performances by Reeves and Pacino (forgot how normal he once looked) and never a bad thing with Charlize Theron and Connie Nielsen being there for the obvious reasons. Not great and could've cut some of the running time but still found it somewhat entertaining. ***╜/*****
Old 09-20-20, 08:39 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (3D)...i saw this in theaters and really enjoyed it, but saw it again last night, i don't know if it was the Blu 3D, my mood or what, but i was really swept away in the adventure and saw the heart of the movie even more (Bethany/Jack Black giving Alex/Nick Jonas one of her lives, the thrill of the end, returning to Alex's house and seeing Colin Hanks as the older Alex or even the last kiss at school), but it really grabbed me more so than it did the first time. very enjoyable and quite fun and i look forward to The Next Level for the first time.
Old 09-20-20, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,002 Likes on 622 Posts

The Messengers (2007) - I was scrolling through listings on Amazon Prime Video and saw this was available and remembered I'd been interested in seeing it before but never had, and I recently watched Adventureland, so, hey, more Kristen Stewart. Unfortunately, not a very good movie. There are a bunch of jump scares, and there are a few genuinely creepy scenes, but a lot of these scenes seem kind of random. When you do find out the reason things are happening, it still doesn't make a lot of sense and the conclusion is a little anticlimactic. Stewart is the lead and does a fine job, but I wish Penelope Ann Miller's role was more substantial. I guess this is sort of a knock-off of Poltergeist, and it had potential but didn't deliver on the premise.
Old 09-20-20, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This should be in the Razzie Hall of Fame
Old 09-20-20, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked it though Davidson was not the funniest guy in the movie.

I liked it better when he was not hanging out with his douchebag friend.

The scene with Buscemi talking to him about his dad was touching.
Old 09-20-20, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) — Great finale to a great trilogy. The action and battle sequences were amazing and even though I've seen this a few times over the years, still thrilling to the end. I didn't even mind the multiple endings as I had in the past, nice each character got their due. ****╛/*****
Old 09-21-20, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Walt Disney’s 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

I was going through my old DVDs and found the Collector’s Edition of 20K Leagues. It’s pretty expensive on blu-ray right now (and bare bones at that!). I remember my father taking me to see this as a child on one of its revival runs (before home video, Disney would re-release films approximately every 7 years) and being a “Monster Kid”, all I was interested in was the giant squid. Over the years, of course, I’ve learned to appreciate it as an excellent adventure film. James Mason makes a terrific Captain Nemo and Kirk Douglas plays a more “Family Friendly” version of Kirk Douglas. It’s a good example of the type of Adventure films Disney made when Walt was still alive It’s far from perfect and now very dated, but it remains satisfying.
Old 09-21-20, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

The Godfather Part 3. Since the new version called The Death Of Michael Corleone is coming out in december i decided to see if I still liked this as much as i remember and I know im in the minority here but I still loved it and think its better then part 2

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.