Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 09-10-20, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Let It Snow (2020) — Not a big fan of survival thrillers but thought I'd give this a go, figuring based on the synopsis could be a throwback to the 1980s low budget horror-thriller. The set-up was fine though some of the acting was a bit much (including the male lead a clear broheim along the lines of Owen Wilson), but the lead actress was fine I guess.

However, there's a point I lost interest as it's scene after scene in the snow with her consistently running away from the killer. At the very least I wished she would be more proactive, but nope. And relies a lot on coincidence and happenstance. **½/*****

Spoiler:
In addition, don't quite know how the killer knows a couple (not the one in this movie, but years earlier) were responsible for the death at the film's core.
Old 09-10-20, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

A rare Jeanne Triplehorn sighting
Old 09-11-20, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

House of 1,000 Corpses (2003)

Even though the film is a bit derivative, I love re-watching it.

I love Rob Zombie's approach to visuals & editing in this film, which echo much of his older work with (his former band) White Zombie.

The strong cast and set design are also wonderful.
Old 09-11-20, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
She was even a side-kick to John Wayne in "Brannigan". I was a bit surprised to see her in the "Inseminoid" role, which included some exploitative nudity and an alien rape scene and a lot of gore. Stephanie Beacham also had a role, as did Victoria Tennant.
They both played in some Hammer productions...
Old 09-11-20, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was ok but way too long
Old 09-11-20, 09:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Moana (3D)...just amazing. i loved this movie the first time, i loved it even more the second. such a rousing action-adventure with great songs, fun characters, a story (that yes has been told before), but not this way exactly. it hit big worldwide and i can see why. it's truly infectious and magnificent all the way through. beautiful in 3D. just a great second trip of what should truly be an animated Disney classic.
Old 09-12-20, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Birds (1963) — Certainly has some creepy imagery and the acting was mostly passable, and I guess it works as a B-movie horror-thriller, but I never really found the birds all that terrifying. Probably the lower end of the Hitchcock movies I've seen. ***¼/*****
Old 09-12-20, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts

Superman, Man of Tomorrow (via the DC FanDome)
Another version of "Superman: Year One", this time adding Lobo, Martian Manhunter and The Parasite into the mix. That being said, it's one of the more entertaining of the DC animated films, with a new, cleaner look (thick outlines, less interior line-work) that's pretty attractive. Really didn't need another version, but it's nicely done.
Van Helsing 4K disc
I haven't watched this film since a year after it originally came out, but recently I had an itch....
This film tries hard to be the coolest thing ever, much like the "Hot" Comics of The Nineties, -and maybe it tries too hard. I want to like it so much, but I just get exhausted with it long before it's over. The 4K was a bit frustrating, too, -some parts look just terrific and other sections are a bit muddy. The included blu-ray comes from the days when Studio BD/DVDs were packed with "Special Features"; two commentary tracks and at least two hours of featurettes.
Old 09-12-20, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

The Last Airbender - When you google this movie I got a bunch of worst movie of all-time articles/videos so I was quite surprised to find out it is just a generic action movie. No different than the majority of the other films that come out based on cartoons/anime. I was expecting something truly atrocious for all the vitriol it receives like terrible acting or laughable special effects but no just forgettable and boring.
Old 09-12-20, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rabid Dogs Arrow Blu-ray Region B

Terrific "Real-Time" Thriller from Mario Bava. A trio of thieves car-jack an older man taking his sick son to the hospital and force him to be their get-away driver. This is one of Bava's last films and was left unfinished at the time of his death; it was later completed by his son (though this is a rough cut with some slight video flaws). Lamberto Bava later prepared a more polished version called "Kidnapped", -it's on this disc also, and it's the version that Kino sells in the US. Unfortunately, Lamberto ditched the propulsive score of "Rabid Dogs" for a laughably leisurely score for "Kidnapped" that saps a lot of the film's punch. I rented "Dogs" years ago on Anchor Bay's DVD (though I never bought it) and was surprised that this energetic non-supernatural film came from Mario Bava. It's this disc that finally provoked me to get an All-Region blu-ray player.
Old 09-12-20, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pitch Black (2000) — Wasn't a big fan the last time I saw this (2000/2001) and didn't think too much about it this go around, with the shoddy editing particularly early on (seemed to stabilize in the final act), and the direction itself was pretty amateurish with stretching the picture in certain instances. Some interesting elements I guess and the acting was okay but no real standouts including Vin Diesel who shows zero personality that at least has come through in the Fast and the Furious franchise. **¾/*****
Old 09-12-20, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought this would be all out brutal violence but more of a drama with a few action scenes mixed in.

Old 09-12-20, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

The Counselor.
I love Ridley Scott, but this one felt like a huge waste of time for me.

Originally Posted by asianxcore
House of 1,000 Corpses (2003)

Even though the film is a bit derivative, I love re-watching it.
I love that movie.
The following users liked this post:
asianxcore (09-15-20)
Old 09-13-20, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) — Lost count how many times I've seen the "The Fellowship of the Ring" but still fantastic after all these years, epic on every level and just all around entertaining, the 3.5 running time just flies by. Will be watching "The Two Towers" either tonight or tomorrow followed by "The Return of the King". ****¾/*****
Old 09-13-20, 07:17 PM

House of Wax 3D (1953)...marvelous. just a genuine treasure in 3D and motion pictures. Vincent Price was just incredible. insane, poised and so maniacal. he was like a Jekyll and Hyde playing the two parts. just loved it. discovering these movies now is such a treat. the 50min documentary on the disc with archival footage of Price and director Andre DeToth and then horror masters like Larry Cohen, Wes Craven, Rick Baker adding was just great. Martin Scorsese as well. just great hearing that this really put Price on the horror map. great experience all around.
Old 09-13-20, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It had some laughs though that kid was annoying.
Old 09-14-20, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,002 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
The Last Airbender - When you google this movie I got a bunch of worst movie of all-time articles/videos so I was quite surprised to find out it is just a generic action movie. No different than the majority of the other films that come out based on cartoons/anime. I was expecting something truly atrocious for all the vitriol it receives like terrible acting or laughable special effects but no just forgettable and boring.
[emphasis added]
I think the reason a lot of people--myself included--hated the movie so much is that it is a terrible adaptation of the much-loved animated series. The characters were portrayed all wrong and the tone was way off. And, as you said, it was boring.
Old 09-14-20, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Crying Freeman Amazon Prime
I was very impressed with Christophe Gans' Period Horror/Martial Arts hybrid "Brotherhood of the Wolf" back in 2001 (still not available on a US Blu-ray I believe). This was the director's previous film, an adaptation of the "Crying Freeman" Manga series, starring Mark Dacascos as an assassin who violates his orders by falling in love with the woman he's assigned to kill.

Dacascos fills the bill, but his co-star Julie Condra lacks the kind of impact or chemistry to make a honor-bound hitman violate all the rules. The Manga was an intriguing blend of Romanticism and Violence,but the movie doesn't quite get there. It's definitely more "Gun Fu" than "Kung Fu", with stylistic touches limited (I assume) by the budget. While it's not bad, it comes off as another B+ Canadian Action flick when compared to "Brotherhood".
Old 09-14-20, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) — Still probably my favorite of the three, while it's pretty streamlined and far more action centric with little development compared with Fellowship of the Ring and Return of the King, I always find this one really entertaining with the Helm's Deep battle. ****½/*****
Old 09-15-20, 08:00 AM

The Babysitter: Killer Queen...this was a lot of fun. certainly not as good as the original and i didn't expect it to be so, but i also didn't expect it to be as much fun as it was. the set up was great. the kid playing Cole was great and tell me the girl playing Melanie is not the younger version of Samara Weaving? Phoebe is cute as hell and it just brought the over-the-top gore like the first and i was pleasantly surprised, especially with the little twist at the end. definitely down for more if they keep generally the same formula. and did anyone catch the Pee Wee's Big Adventure reference when Phoebe exited the big rig and said "and I'll be sure to thank Large Marge" or something to that effect? i thought that was fun and probably a blink and you missed it reference and i don't think i have seen Pee Wee's Big Adventure in at least 20 years, but always remembered Large Marge for some reason. that was fun. just a fun movie all around.
Old 09-15-20, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Crying Freeman Amazon Prime
I was very impressed with Christophe Gans' Period Horror/Martial Arts hybrid "Brotherhood of the Wolf" back in 2001 (still not available on a US Blu-ray I believe). This was the director's previous film, an adaptation of the "Crying Freeman" Manga series, starring Mark Dacascos as an assassin who violates his orders by falling in love with the woman he's assigned to kill.

Dacascos fills the bill, but his co-star Julie Condra lacks the kind of impact or chemistry to make a honor-bound hitman violate all the rules. The Manga was an intriguing blend of Romanticism and Violence,but the movie doesn't quite get there. It's definitely more "Gun Fu" than "Kung Fu", with stylistic touches limited (I assume) by the budget. While it's not bad, it comes off as another B+ Canadian Action flick when compared to "Brotherhood".
They are actually French movies from France, not from Québec...
Old 09-15-20, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
They are actually French movies from France, not from Québec...
I know "Brotherhood" was French, but "Freeman" was at least partially shot in Canada, and has the general feel of a Canadian film.
Old 09-15-20, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was not that bad and anything with Brian Cox is usually good
Old 09-16-20, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,002 Likes on 622 Posts

Adventureland - my first time seeing this and I really liked it. I'm not a big Kristen Stewart fan, but I liked her in this, as well as Jesse Eisenberg. And the supporting cast is great, too--Martin Starr, Bill Hader, Kristen Wiig, etc. Though Ryan Reynolds was uncharacteristically low-key.
The following users liked this post:
JeffTheAlpaca (09-17-20)
Old 09-16-20, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Adventureland - my first time seeing this and I really liked it. I'm not a big Kristen Stewart fan, but I liked her in this, as well as Jesse Eisenberg. And the supporting cast is great, too--Martin Starr, Bill Hader, Kristen Wiig, etc. Though Ryan Reynolds was uncharacteristically low-key.
I love Adventureland. Kristen Stewart can be great at times. I thought she was very good in Adventureland and Into the Wild.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.