Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 08-02-20, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,065 Likes on 655 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Originally Posted by DJariya
Spoiler:

The Kissing Booth (2018)

Since part 2 just came out and a 3rd part is coming out in 2021, I decided to give this one a shot. I admit that this was not on my radar at all. Netflix just cranks out way too much content than I can keep up with.

It was cute. I liked it. It was a charming and likable teen romantic comedy. I'll give the sequel a watch later on.
Heh, last night I rewatched Super 8 (because of the Amazon/Cheese-It digital credit deal) and afterward I looked up the kid actors on IMDB to see if any of them (besides Elle Fanning, obviously) had done anything noteworthy. I noticed The Kissing Booth as a credit for the main kid--he's the one on the right in the pic.
Old 08-03-20, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

The Phantom of the Opera (1962) — Entertaining rendition with nice performances from Herbert Lom and to some extent Heather Sears, plus seeing Michael Gough playing such a scoundrel was new to me as only really knew him as Alfred... The music is fine and all in all, was a solid film, nothing terribly memorable however. ***/*****
Old 08-03-20, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Eleventh Commandment (1986) — Basic premise and an okay start is just a sludge to sit through, lots of really dull moments with some so-so acting and bland gore effects, so couldn't even entertain for that sort of crowd. Worst kind of bad movie, one that's just boring. */*****
Old 08-03-20, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

It (TV Miniseries) - Finally got around to watching this. I loved John Ritter, but the rest of the movie was a wash. Like, I didn't love the remake (even though I only saw part one so far), but the beginning of that movie was amazing. I was shocked by how violent the opening scene was. This one? It just felt too tame (obviously cause it was a TV movie). I was just disappointed, and a bit p**sed off that I wasted something like three hours watching this. My time would've been spent better elsewhere. But whatever. I bought it years ago so it's about time I watched it.
Old 08-03-20, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 779 Likes on 635 Posts

Maybe it might be too melancholy for some but I liked it and all 3 leads did a great job.

I bet there are a lot of marriages like this.
Old 08-04-20, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Writen and directed by William Monahan and Mark Wahlberg and Sterling K. Brown are also in it.

Hulk Hogan must have a co-writer since the Oscar Isaac character could not stop saying brother.

The ending was weak.
Spoiler:
With the buildup towards a big face off Isaac goes down after one gun shot.

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 08-04-20 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-05-20, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A movie the public hates but I like.

Second Atom Egoyan flick in 7 days.

Reynolds should have put on the Deadpool costume and kick ass for what they did to his girl.
The following users liked this post:
Goonies85 (01-03-23)
Old 08-05-20, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Reynolds should have put on the Deadpool costume and kick ass for what they did to his girl.
I'm not sure why this movie never caught on. I really really like it. It's too bad. It's a great movie. Can't remember the actor that played the villain but he was great.
JeffTheAlpaca (08-06-20)
Old 08-05-20, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What was the other Egoyan?
Old 08-05-20, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

Somehow I'd never seen it. Really, really good.
Old 08-06-20, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Goonies85
I'm not sure why this movie never caught on. I really really like it. It's too bad. It's a great movie. Can't remember the actor that played the villain but he was great.
I do like the majority of Egoyan films (and I should add, he gives absolutely terrific commentaries; they come across as academic at times, but never in an unappealing or condescending way), but he's also made a lot of stuff that just makes me puzzled with how bad they are. I hate Calendar (even though it is somewhat critically acclaimed), I absolutely hated Adoration, and I was incredibly, enormously dissapointed in Devil's Knot. It had everything going for it; a great cast, a usually great direction, and was based on a great (although horrific) true story. Maybe my expectations were too high but I thought Egoyan failed that film on every single level. It was terrible. But the, he does stuff like The Adjuster, The Sweet Hereafter, and Exotica that pretty much leave you speechless. I also like reading interviews with him. He's kind of like Cronenberg in that way; even when I don't really like a movie they made, I'm always fascinated by them discussing their films and explaining why they made the decisions they did.
Old 08-06-20, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 08-06-20, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tommyp007
Pretty great book. Horrible, horrible movie. I don't know what went wrong but I couldn't stand this. Maybe it was because the book was so great my expectations were to high, but I hated this. Thought it could've been so much better.
Old 08-06-20, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goonies85
I do like the majority of Egoyan films (and I should add, he gives absolutely terrific commentaries; they come across as academic at times, but never in an unappealing or condescending way), but he's also made a lot of stuff that just makes me puzzled with how bad they are. I hate Calendar (even though it is somewhat critically acclaimed), I absolutely hated Adoration, and I was incredibly, enormously dissapointed in Devil's Knot. It had everything going for it; a great cast, a usually great direction, and was based on a great (although horrific) true story. Maybe my expectations were too high but I thought Egoyan failed that film on every single level. It was terrible. But the, he does stuff like The Adjuster, The Sweet Hereafter, and Exotica that pretty much leave you speechless. I also like reading interviews with him. He's kind of like Cronenberg in that way; even when I don't really like a movie they made, I'm always fascinated by them discussing their films and explaining why they made the decisions they did.
Remember the Christopher Plummer movie was the other Atom movie.

Kevin Durand played the villain in The Captive.

i wonder what his next project is.

He is a interesting filmaker
Old 08-06-20, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is on Cinemax and a loaded cast with Liev, Peter Sarsgaard, Tomei, and Maya Hawke the daughter of Ethan and Uma.

Old 08-06-20, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Remember the Christopher Plummer movie was the other Atom movie.

Kevin Durand played the villain in The Captive.

i wonder what his next project is.

He is a interesting filmaker
I've always wanted to see his early films, Next of Kin and Family Viewing. I read on another forum that he was working with Criterion about possibly releasing some of his films, and it said that that was rumored to be a double-feature. They also mentioned Exotica and The Sweet Hereafter. I think the current Blus for those movies are pretty good already, but I guess if they can add some additional stuff I'll probably buy it. I'm more hoping for The Adjuster, which is a great, great movie I don't think a lot of people have seen. Pretty great Elias Koteas performance....

Last edited by Goonies85; 06-19-21 at 11:23 PM. Reason: syntax
JeffTheAlpaca (08-08-20)
Old 08-08-20, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm Gonna Git You Sucka! - Man, I really wanted to like this movie. I've been watching more Blaxspoitation movies over the course of the last year and felt, okay, I'll sit down a watch a parody of those movies by some of the Wayans brothers. But this was just a bad movie. Really, it's hard for me to describe any scene that was funny. I just kind of sat in silence throughout. And it's not like I don't like these movies. I actually thought the Wayans brothers did a pretty good job with the first Scary Movie (the rest of the series was pretty much horrible) and I liked the parody movies that were Hot Shots! and Hot Shots! Part Deux, but this one I really couldn't stand, despite the pretty amazing cast they assembled. Wouldn't recommend. I probably should've of spent my money on a different Kino Lorber release...
Old 08-08-20, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,846 Likes on 2,754 Posts

I re-watched The Foreigner on Netflix last night. The political thriller with Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan.

I had not seen it since I saw it in the theatre 3 years ago. It was still very entertaining. One of Jackie's better movies in the last decade.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-08-20 at 09:55 PM.
tommyp007 (08-08-20)
Old 08-08-20, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked it

Nobody will watch it so here is the plot.
Spoiler:
3 disabled guys go on a trip to Montreal to visit a brothel.

Old 08-08-20, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am down for any movie with Braff
Old 08-08-20, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-08-20, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 08-09-20, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Clue (1985) — Randomly decided to re-watch this classic crime-comedy and still works today. Plenty of fun throughout and a great ensemble cast. ***/*****
Old 08-09-20, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Presumed Innocent (1990) — Pretty good mystery-legal-drama features fine performances, especially from Ford and Raul Julia, though does rely a lot on coincidences (lucky draw to get that judge) but still finely directed and liked John Williams's score. ***/*****

Frantic (1988)
— Movie starts off well enough with the mystery element but afterward tonally felt a bit off (veered into moderate comedy at points). Ford is fine as was Emmanuelle Seigner, though I wonder if this could've used the eye of Brian De Palma rather than Polanski. ***/*****
Goonies85 (01-03-23)
Old 08-09-20, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It made of conservatives and liberals and we need more of that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.