Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 07-18-20, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Phase VI (1974) directed by Saul Bass! Surprisingly good.
Old 07-18-20, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 779 Likes on 635 Posts

Boring as F
Old 07-19-20, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 315 Posts

Paranormal Activity (2007)

Even though the film's simplicity can be attributed to its budget, I've always appreciated it quite a bit more than the latter films in the series because of it.

Katie Featherston & Micah Sloat are solid in this as well.
The following users liked this post:
JANK (07-20-20)
Old 07-19-20, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Blair Witch Project (1999)

Every time I re-visit this film, my appreciation for it grows. Absolutely love how improv is handled and helps amplify the entire experience within the film.

I initially saw the film during its theatrical run in 1999 and hadn't seen it again in theaters until tonight, where I saw it at a Drive-In Theater!
JANK (07-20-20)
Old 07-19-20, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,065 Likes on 655 Posts

Before I Fall - another movie about a character caught in a time loop. While Palm Springs was essentially a rom-com, this one is more of a dark teen drama. This movie takes a while to introduce the time loop premise, and I found the early scenes at the school and the party kind of annoying because the main character and her friends act like first-class bitches. But ultimately we see that is kind of the point and at least one of them has some redemption.
Old 07-19-20, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,065 Likes on 655 Posts

Ralph Breaks the Internet - this was fun, I especially liked the princess scenes.
Old 07-19-20, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 603 Likes on 442 Posts

First Time Viewings:
Anne of Green Gables (1985) (****1/2 out of *****)
Anne of Green Gables: The Sequel (1987) (****1/2 out of *****)

Rewatches:
Vincent (1982) (**** out of *****)
Frankenweenie (1984) (**** out of *****)
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure (1985) (****1/2 out of *****)
Old 07-19-20, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Jaws (1975) — Solid shark-thriller that still holds up well with each subsequent viewings. Love the cast especially Robert Shaw and was entertained even during some of the slower moments. Not a favorite of mine or amongst Spielberg's resume, but a lot of fun. ****/*****

Survive the Night (2020) — Paint-by-numbers and utterly predictable home-invasion like thriller has some average performances including Bruce Willis who makes his (in my own collection at last) 12th one of these direct-to-video flicks from Grindstone Entertainment and gives it his least. Not terrible and I don't mind a simplistic thriller but this one had low energy and characters making dumb decisions. Beyond that, confusingly seems like the filmmakers want to provide some sympathy of the antogonists, one a complete psychopath who killed two women in cold blood...

From what I read, apparently Bruce Willis gets something like $1M a day for these movies, with no publicity obligations. Must be nice.

Not terrible and I've certainly seen worse, but like most Grindstone movies, they're competently shot, feature a somewhat experienced cast (this one has Chad Michael Murray who starred in the last few "Sniper" DTV films) but apparently they bought the script from some scrapheap. **/*****
Old 07-19-20, 06:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

THE SPIRIT OF NOTRE DAME (1931)

I saw this Universal film (from the same year as Frankenstein) on a very degraded print on You Tube.

The film works well though at capturing a moment in history, showing the American Football talents of Notre Dame at a point in time immediately after the death of their well regarded coach, Knute Rockne. Indeed Rockne was on his way to Hollywood to be an advisor on this film when the plane he was in crashed, ending a legendary career. He is portrayed in this film simply as the un-named character of 'Coach' played by an actor who bares a close resemblance to the Rockne of later years.

Unusually the film adopts a very distinct two act structure; the first covering the arrival of neophyte player Lew Ayres at university and his gradual acceptance by his peers due to his grit and determination on the field. His fellow players include the likes of Andy Devine in one of his earliest roles, fairly convincing both as a player and hillbilly style comic relief. The second act shows the players at the end of their college careers, slowly being taken overwhelmed by the upstart newcomers they themselves once were. There are the usual stories of sporting films; competitive romantic relationships, the sick player everyone gives their all for on the field in the hope of recovery, the close finish between two well matched teams. These cliches were perhaps not as old when this film was made but we still feel the ennui of sitting through them.

Production values are very high with lots of football sequences clearly shot at Notre Dame and some very ambitious shots. In one scene the camera, positioned behind goal does a dramatic leap upwards in a fast crane shot and then zooms forward in and over the goals to capture a key moment of action. It is a hugely effective moment, especially for the early days of sound when cameras were housed in substantial blimps to keep unwanted camera mechanical noises at bay.

Lew Ayres, coming off All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) effectively shows a range of emotions from the over-confident country boy trained by his own brother to the seasoned professional who sees himself losing his chances to a younger player. Ayres would eventually have an acting career spanning more than 65 years and was always an effective player.

This could have been very weak indeed given the age of the production but proves very effective at nearly every level.

7/10.
Old 07-19-20, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was hard to understand what they were saying even with closed captions.

Wish it has more scenes with Colin Farrell. Adidas should have been listed as one of the producers.

Surprised this movie has not gone under the knife from the cancel culture mob since there could be a lot of racial stuff that might tick some people off.
Goonies85 (01-03-23)
Old 07-19-20, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched it before on channel 36 a long time ago and it was heavily edited and nice to own and watch it in HD.

Police corruption a problem that is still with us today.

Too bad they don'tt make movies like they did in the 70's anymore.
Old 07-19-20, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sphere (1998) — Interesting idea but poorly executed and overly long. Acting was okay but nobody really stood out. At least some of the effects weren't too bad for 1998. I actually back in the day read the novel but don't remember anything from it, just know this adaptation was pretty different when I saw this in theaters in '98. **/*****
Old 07-20-20, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nathalie: Escape from Hell (1978) — I'm not overly familiar with Nazispolitations (this is the first one I've seen) but this was an okay enough movie, though had a difficult time getting past the awful dubbing, many scenes where the mouth isn't even open, plus an instance of a line of dialogue being repeated back-to-back. Still, Patrizia Gori is a beaut and Jacqueline Laurent's cackling was hilarious yet also oddly scary. **/*****
Old 07-20-20, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Available on Netflix streaming and Ridley Scott is the executive producer.

It was ok but kind of slow

His girlfriend was not that hot but she loved to bang.
Old 07-21-20, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 471 Likes on 264 Posts

***1/2 (****) I have always enjoyed this film that somehow never got the attention it deserved. One of Linklater's best film and I was always hoping Criterion would release it on Blu-ray. I still can't believe the film is 24 years old, time really flies.
Old 07-21-20, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not a remarkable movie but a nice story and Roth and Owen were good.
Old 07-21-20, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Spent most of the day rewatching some old favourites I hadn't seen in a while, including...

Dressed to Kill - Up in my top five De Palma movies (although I'd still put at least three movies of his ahead of it, which would be Blow Out, Body Double, and Scarface...and maybe even Snake Eyes, as I have a serious soft spot for that flick). Anyway, just a fantastic thriller that I think holds up really well. Especially like the scene in the museum...And I thought Nancy Allen was just perfect for her role. The music is also really good, and I like the twists the film takes. Only thing that I'm not too sure about is that...
Spoiler:
...additional ending. The dream sequence. While I know De Palma really likes adding that final shock to a movie (i.e. Carrie is probably most notorious in that regard), but I almost wish the film had ended earlier, or that that hadn't been a dream sequence, as I loved the part with Caine's character in Bellevue and all of the patients cheering him on as he makes his escape. It's not a deal-breaker for me, just something I always kind of second-guess whenever I watch the movie.

Odd Man Out - Still one of my favorite movies of all time, and I like it even more than Carol Reed's The Third Man. I just thought the plot was really tight, and I liked the use of metaphors and subtext that is discussed by the characters in the final hour or so of the movie. The set design (or location shooting, I think it's a combination of both) is superb, as is the music. I also love how it started snowing later on in the movie, as I know I've mentioned before the for whatever reason (maybe it's being born and raised in Canada, in a very, very snowy area), I just love seeing it snow in movies. I also thought that this (maybe along with his role in North by Northwest) was James Mason's best role. He was perfect in this, and so was Kathleen Ryan. And the movie is perfect at just under two hours, as it really just breezes by.

They Live By Night - Another old favorite, and this and On Dangerous Ground are my two favorite Nicholas Ray movies, although he has several others that really hold up well. Farley Granger is awesome (just like he was in Strangers on a Train) and Cathy O'Donnell was equally impressive. In terms of "couples on the run" movies, this is right up there with the very best, including Gun Crazy, Bonnie and Clyde, True Romance, and Robert Altman's excellent remake, Thieves Like Us. A very breezy movie at just over a hour and a half, I also have to say I was impressed with a lot of the driving shots. They must've used a crane or something following them, as the angles are very high up (and I don't think they used a helicopter but I might be wrong)...Really good movie that makes you feel for the characters and their...
Spoiler:
...doomed romance.

For those that haven't seen it, I'd highly recommend.

Now have to figure out what to watch next...I'm thinking maybe Cassavetes' Love Streams (which I've never seen) or maybe Kelly's Heroes (which is another movie I've seen bits and pieces of on TV but haven't ever actually seen the whole thing from start to finish...
Old 07-21-20, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Blair Witch Project (1999)

After getting the opportunity to watch this film in a Drive-In Theater last weekend, I decided to watch it again at home.

Absolutely love this film. As I mentioned previously, my appreciation for it grows on repeat viewings.
Old 07-22-20, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Blair Witch (2016)

The set pieces in this film are fantastic but it lacks the documentary feel of the original film, as well as the organic chemistry of its cast.
Old 07-22-20, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

8 Days A Week (2016)
Old 07-22-20, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I taped Dressed To Kill and is on my DVR

Another movie you forgot Brie Larson was in.

The scene with the dad (Kyle Chandler) was really awkward.

The first time I saw it I gave it 3 stars and now I moved it 3 1/2 stars out of 5
Old 07-22-20, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 603 Likes on 442 Posts

Disclosure (2020) (**** out of *****)
Beetlejuice (1988) (**** out of *****)
Batman (1989) (*** out of *****)
Edward Scissorhands (1990) (**** out of *****)
Old 07-22-20, 08:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 988 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69

Quest for Fire (1981)

Showed this to the students this week. They were awed and giggly and applauded at the end. First time that happened! But then one student asked me why I had chosen to show them this film! He thought a story of grunting ape-like humans discovering love, laughter, friendship, pottery, projectile weapons and more than one sex position in one hour and 40 minutes wasn't interesting!
Great film based on a lot of speculation but still beautifully shot and very humane.
wait, you showed this Rated 'R' flick with Ron Perlman, Rae Dawn Chong where an ape woman gets raped (on camera), i believe and there's lots of other stuff? what was the age of these students?
Old 07-22-20, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Short Cuts - Recently reread that book I think called "Altman: An Oral History" (or something like that) and it is excellent; finished it in a day, so decided to rewatch some of his films, including this gem. Already rewatched McCabe & Mrs. Miller for like the 40th time, but this is probably only my fifth or sixth viewing of Short Cuts (mainly due to the length obviously; which I don't have a problem with, but sometimes it's just hard to dedicate three hours to a movie you've already seen when there's a stack of like 200+ movies and tv shows that I haven't watched yet). Anyhoo, just as awesome as I remembered. Acting is top-notch all-around, with the standouts probably being Tim Robbins, Tow Waits, Anne Archer, Julianne Moore, Lily Tomlin, Jack Lemmon (the monologue he delivers to his son, played by Bruce Davison, is a masterclass in acting and writing), and Peter Gallagher (man, he must've loved this role, given what Altman allowed him to do; his portrayal of Stormy Weathers was one of the highlights of the movie). You might as well list the entire cast, as there's really no poor performances, but those are the ones that really stood out to me. Loved the interconnectedness of all the storylines and characters, and felt that it just had the perfect mixture of comedy and drama. Also must say that the opening credits of the movie were fantastic and really helped set the mood. Also...
Spoiler:
...that ending was great, with Chris Penn's character taking his rage out, unexpectedly, on that poor girl he meets in the park, coupled with the earthquake. I thought the earthquake was just a genius way to end the picture, and man, I always smile when Tim Robbin's cop character immediately grabs his bullhorn and goes to the backyard and starts spouting out warnings for the community, in mock fashion. I always found that pretty hilarious...

Kelly's Heroes - Finally watched this from start to finish. Not quite as good as other "men-on-a-mission" movies like The Dirty Dozen or Where Eagles Dare, but it's pretty solid. Not a giant fan of Telly Savalas, but he was tolerable in this. Eastwood was basically just playing the same character he pretty much always plays. Wasn't sure what to make of Donald Sutherland at first. He definitely went pretty "broad" with his portrayal of "Oddball"...some might even say it was a pretty cliche stoner type role...BUT, since it is Donald Sutherland, somehow I felt he was able to pull it off, and after about ten minutes of his schtick, you kind of accept it and even grow to enjoy it. It was also nice seeing Harry Dean Stanton in an early role (here just credited as "Dean Stanton"). Loved that last battle sequence in the town, and loved how they really took their time setting everything up and coordinating a plan, which really built up the suspense. I guess I'm just glad I finally watched this and can now cross it off my list...

Probably watching Eastwood/Siegel's The Beguiled next, then maybe I'll finally watch Love Streams...
Old 07-22-20, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Beguiled - The 1971 Eastwood version. Wow. Another movie that I had put off watching (it came in some Universal 4-Pack of Eastwood movies a long time ago on DVD; I remember at least two of the other movies were Coogan's Bluff, which I didn't care for, and Play Misty for Me, which I loved), mainly cause I read the synopsis and it just didn't sound like a movie I'd be interested in. Man, was I ever wrong. This is not only one of Don Siegel's best movies, but it's absolutely one of Eastwood's best. Starting off with a kind of sepia opening, it's about a wounded Union soldier that gets rescued by some girls who kind of shelter him in their all-girls school. I won't say where it goes, but I definitely agree when people refer to it as "gothic horror." The script and acting is just ingenious, and even if you don't think you'd be interested in the subject matter, I think most people would struggle to turn away or even press pause. Should also mention that the score is terrific, and there's an especially great song at the end of the movie (which also reverts to the same sepia tone that began the movie). And the movie doesn't shy away from going to some dark places, and is all the better for it. I'm actually surprised they managed to get away with what they did in 1971, even though by that time "New Hollywood" had emerged and boundaries were definitely being pushed. Just surprised it was Eastwood starring in this movie given those boundaries that were being pushed...Would really, really recommend this. I'll probably eventually check out the remake, even though it would be extremely, extremely, almost impossibly hard to live up to the original. This is a great movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.