Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-20, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Epic late night viewing.
Old 06-18-20, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
The Art of Self-Defense - interesting movie and an excellent job by Eisenberg. The guy who played the sensei was good, too. The movie has kind of a purposefully flat tone and the time and place of the events are vague. It kind of gives it a dream-like quality.
And Imogen Poots was pretty awesome, I thought...Along with the sensei, Nivolla...
Old 06-18-20, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Had Hoosiers on in the background while I did some household cleaning. Just a classic sports flick in my mind, and one I've probably watched two dozen times. Gene Hackman and Dennis Hopper are equally great. And while the plot is a bit cliche, and some might say cheesy, for some reason it works. Sometimes all it takes is the right ingredients. And this one had it all. Great acting. Great script (and dialogue). And great direction. Reminds me a bit of Miracle, in that I also found that movie a bit corny, but for some reason I thought it worked really well and turned out pretty great (it helps that it has Kurt Russell, probably one of my top five actors of all-time).

Other Sports Movies I like or love: North Dallas Forty, Slap Shot, The Mighty Ducks, parts of Any Given Sunday, the original The Longest Yard, and Goon...Those are the first ones that come to mind...maybe Major League (and the sequel), but I'm not really a fan of baseball, so I always find it difficult to connect with those movies (even stuff like Bull Durham and A Field of Dreams)...
Old 06-18-20, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Melissa Raunch was the hlghlight of the movie and had the funniest scenes but the rest was just meh
Old 06-18-20, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you are a fan of the Boss check it out on HBO
Old 06-18-20, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Jurassic Park (1993)

Never get tired of re-visiting this film. Absolutely love the work that Stan Winston & his team did on this film.
Old 06-18-20, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wonder why Denzel and Russell agreed to do this movie?

This might have been Crowe's first big role in the U.S. and he was over the top and had fun in that role though the movie sucked.

Who know back in 1995 the girl (Kaley Cuoco) would become a star on the Big Bang Theory.
Old 06-19-20, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Just watched the hijacking thriller 7500.

This is a claustrophobic movie that—with the exception of the opening couple of minutes—takes place entirely inside the cockpit of a passenger plane. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is solid (as usual) as co-pilot Tobias Ellis whose ordinary day on the job turns upside down when terrorists attempt to seize control of the flight. The movie doesn’t aspire to be Passenger 57, Executive Decision, or other plane-based action movies so Gordon-Levitt doesn’t suddenly turn into Jason Statham at any point.

There is no soundtrack at all in 7500, leaving the actors and scenarios to generate tension. The movie is suspenseful throughout as the story manages to steer away from at least some of the expected turns in this type of film.

This movie doesn’t re-invent the wheel, but I found it absorbing for its entire 90-minute running time. I’m glad I caught this film but don’t expect it to show up as an in-flight movie any time soon.
Old 06-19-20, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

A Good Woman is Hard to Find (2019) — Decent thriller with a solid performance from Sarah Bolgar. A little far-fetched for a single mother doing the things she does (a bit similar to Peppermint in that way), but still entertaining enough. ***½/*****
Old 06-19-20, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked it the first time but forgot how good it was.

Eisenberg might play the same guy in every movie but he picks good projects.

Maybe some carnies were pissed that their secrets were exposed.

Ron Howard has another daughter Paige Howard and Margarita Levieva who played James Francos girlfriend in the Deuce was the hot girl.

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 06-19-20 at 07:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Goonies85 (01-03-23)
Old 06-19-20, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it would be horrible but it was not that bad though still too long but would not recommend.

Old 06-20-20, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Iron Man 3 (2013) — When I first saw this in 2013, strongly disliked it but decided to give it another watch during my re-visit of the MCU and... kind of enjoyed it, quite a bit. Still not fond of the twist wasting a great actor in Ben Kingsley to be a decoy Mandarin and instead having a cheesy one with Guy Pearce's Aldrich Killian and his lame "I AM THE MANDARIN!" line. But all in all, a good step up from Iron Man 2. ***½/*****

Last edited by TheMovieman; 06-20-20 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-20-20, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Iron Man 3 was a lot better than Iron 2 which was not a hard bar to climb
Old 06-20-20, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think it was as bad as the reviews though you could predict who the killer was which was not hard and the ending was unsatisfying.

Sheridan gave a great performance.
Old 06-20-20, 06:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Black Panther (Blu-ray 3D)...wow. this was like i saw it for the first time, seeing it in 3D. i don't know how this was not shot native 3D. Coogler's shots were made for the 3D image. Wakanda was certainly a wonderland to behold in the 3D format. the depth, the colors, the structures, this is definitely one of the best conversions i've ever seen and again i think Coogler had 3D in mind all along if you look at the long country shots or zooms to up close. just glorious looking shots and glorious looking movie in this medium. and the movie, seeing it now, the first cut scene, really brings the whole message together and is so timely right now. really good movie in the Marvel cannon. no where near the best, but so far in 3D, i think it is.
Old 06-21-20, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,017 Likes on 628 Posts

The Vast of Night - stylish low-budget sci-fi thriller on Amazon. 3/5
Old 06-21-20, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Wasp Network on Netflix. Olivier Assayas and Edgar Ramirez reunited. It was an awesome film, too.
Old 06-21-20, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

LEGO DC Shazam: Magic and Monsters (2020) — These LEGO direct-to-video releases are pretty fun and while they don't really feature the strongest writing, pretty paint-by-numbers, the humor at least makes me smile even though it is aimed at a young audience. Nothing special in any respect but fine for a one-off viewing. ***/*****

As a side, with LEGO now partnering with Universal, is this the last one involving Warner properties?
Old 06-21-20, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Captive Wild Woman (1943) — Middling 1940s horror movie with John Carradine playing a mad scientist converting an ape into a woman. Could've made for a cheesy entertaining film that I couldn't enjoy with the clear animal abuse; fine for the times I know, but was at times hard to watch. **½/*****
Old 06-21-20, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

My wife and I watched movies of two of our favorite Disney rides:

The Country Bears (2002) - I saw this in theaters and remembered really liking it and on this rewatch it holds up. Good music, a light breezy plot with heart and some laughs, and high quality animatronic bears. It's a solid family film.
Haunted Mansion (2003) - First time watch and it's not as bad as I was expecting. A lot of nice nods to the ride in it although definitely would have been improved if they would have put anybody else in the lead role and not have it be an Eddie Murphy movie first and a Haunted Mansion movie second.

Just found out there is a Tower of Terror movie also. Too bad not on Disney Plus.
Old 06-21-20, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was ok but surprised it was a huge success at the box office

Jim Carey went all in for his role as the bad guy. Surprised he has not played more villians since he is a natural for playing the bad guy.

Old 06-21-20, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The first time I thought it was ok but not worth biuying it on Blu-ray.

Now I have a newfound appreciation i and might want to add it to my collection since it might not stay on Netflix forever.

Old 06-21-20, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) — Third time seeing this and still a fantastic all-around film, not just a comic book movie either. Briskly paced and a great complex story, this is a Marvel movie that felt complete from beginning to end, and actually advanced the universe so well. Chris Evans continues to embody the role and nice to see Scarlett Johansson given more to do (up to the point of this film's release) than in Iron Man 2 or The Avengers. ****¾/*****

I probably rate this right alongside The Dark Knight amongst comic book movies and, saying this as a DC fan, perhaps edges out TDK (though could easily seeing roles reversed once I re-watch that one).
Old 06-22-20, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Boyhood - While I liked this more this second viewing, I still think it's way, way overrated. Like, it was definitely an interesting experiment, but I think I'm in the minority in that I still just feel it's gimmicky, and if it wasn't for the making-of details, it wouldn't be as highly acclaimed. I have tremendous respect for Linklater and the actors involved, but I just wasn't that drawn into the story. Like many Linklater films, it involves a lot of philosophical discussion but I actually prefer the dialogue and discussion that occurred in Slacker, the Before Trilogy, A Scanner Darkly, and probably even Dazed and Confused. Still glad I rewatched it, but man it's long...and you feel it nearly every minute. I will say this, I thought Linklater's daughter was pretty solid in the movie, and I think she has a promising career ahead of herself. I'll still check out the special features, as the features on most Linklater films are absolutely first-rate.
Old 06-22-20, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked it and better than the 11.7 million it earned at the box office but people like to pay for shit instead of seeing a movie with top quality actors so that is not surprising.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.