Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 05-26-20, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Tirez sur le pianiste (Shoot the piano player) 1960

François Truffaut's second film. Starts out as a film noir hommage but digresses into a drama rapidly and picks up again the suspense towards the end. So if you expect a thriller look somewhere else, but otherwise the plot is okay and the style very Nouvelle Vague. Has aged a bit and not Truffaut's best but worth it if you like him and the early New Wave output.
Charles Aznavour plays a former concert pianist who after the death of his wife quit the business and is now playing jazz for crumbs in a local bar. One day his brother shows up with hoodlums on his tail...

Old 05-26-20, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Received 1,104 Likes on 641 Posts

The Lighthouse
Not quite what I was expecting (having seen The Witch) and I'm still trying to sort out my feelings for it, although I definitely liked it. I looked up some remarks by the director and stars and while we all seemed to be on the same page, none of them touched on what my personal "explanation" for the film was. I suspect that's because of the ambiguous nature of the work.
Old 05-26-20, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 779 Likes on 635 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
They'll do a reboot with an all-women cast! It's the trend...although they bomb most of the time (not due to the female cast, but rather pointless scripts).

Lets hope not
Old 05-26-20, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Strange watching this and a day later find out about the cops in Minnesota

It was a decent time killer and Frank Grillo was good as the bad guy.
Old 05-26-20, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 297 Likes on 245 Posts

Back To The Future Parts II and III. Netflix.

I saw the first in theaters the year it came out but I never watched Parts II & III in theaters or on home video until the past few days. Such a wonderful trilogy and I am a bit surprised to say this but I think Part III is better than Part II and I had no idea that Biff really turned out to quite the villain in Parts II and III.

By the way, they looked great streaming in HD...and such a joy to have this pop culture “blind spot” become a thing of the past.

Now I understand why so many folks are fans...and they even used a key prop in a very pivotal moment in Part III.

Also, nice that this trilogy felt complete and I know there are rumblings every few years about a reboot/reimagining of the trilogy but it is such a fun watch so many years after they hit theaters that if this never happens I can live with that.
Old 05-27-20, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts

You'll Never Get Rich (1941)
The first pairing of Rita Hayworth and Fred Astaire. I really didn't care too much about the plot on this but the Musical numbers and the Dancing was great. The humour once in the Army base was good though...

You Were Never Lovelier (1942)
The last pairing of Hayworth and Astaire. I loved this movie much better than the previous one. Although the plot is somewhat predictable and the musical numbers are smaller in scale than the previous movie, the plot and humour worked much better.

If You Could Only Cook (1935)
One of the rare instances that Jean Arthur is not the highlight of a movie. Lionel Stander and Leo Carrillo steals the movie with their portrayal of somewhat good nature mobsters.

3:10 to Yuma (1957)
I enjoyed this movie a lot. Glenn Ford and Van Heflin performances is what sold it for me. I don't ever remember seeing in a movie in which a Bad Guy gets caught because he stayed behind for a one "day" stand.

MacKenna's Gold (1969)
This movie is a disappointment based on the cast and the finished product. Movie seems on the Make Believe section even though is a Western. The plot and the acting was ridiculous and barely made sense. At least you got to see a glimpse of Julie Newmar behind while she was playing a Native American character. Introducing well known actors in glorified cameos with no actual purpose to the plot. The only highlight for me was the Omar Sharif character.
Old 05-27-20, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was on Showtime

Shakespeare is not in my wheelhouse but it had a decent cast.

If Naomi Watts was not in it I would have bailed though it seems like she did not care about the movie either and mailed in her performance.
Old 05-28-20, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Escape from L.A. (1996) — 90s cheese not quite as good as 80s cheese, but still an entertaining enough action-thriller, though some moments were laughable and not in a good way (Snake riding surfing a wave isn't all that bad ass), plus the effects work was rather poor. I don't have a great fondness for Escape from New York, however it was far superior. ***/*****
Old 05-29-20, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The fight with Damon and Kinnear's character at the end
Old 05-29-20, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-29-20, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 957 Posts

Escape From L.A. -- The new BD was fantastic!
John Carpenter's Vampires -- The Scream Factory BD is also quite fantastic.

It was a JC double feature and I finally have all of the JC Scream Factories from Scream Factory. Now I await my 4K imports from Amazon UK.
Old 05-29-20, 11:56 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Earlier tonight i saw the new Call of the Wild movie at the drive in movie theater
Old 05-30-20, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 171 Likes on 137 Posts

Rabid is a very Canadian vampiric zombie flick from David Cronenberg.. Marilyn Chambers undergoes an experimental skin graft procedure after getting into a traffic accident. The procedure leaves her thirsting for human blood, and her victims turn into mindless killers.

This is early Cronenberg in which the plot is largely an excuse to string together the attacks and scenes of body horror. My guess is that this movie was filmed quickly because some scenes appear to have had only one take. Leading man Frank Moore is fairly wooden, but some of the bit players who only have a line or two manage to be worse.

Still, being a late '70s production, Rabid does everything practically. The make-up, models, the stunts are all done in camera--not a shred of CGI in sight, which is a nice change from modern movies.It's also a nice bit of nostalgia seeing the thigh-high boots and the shaggin' wagons on the road.

Warning: if you have kids that still believe in Santa Claus, don't let them watch the scene in the mall.
Old 05-30-20, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,065 Likes on 655 Posts

Jumanji: The Next Level - I know they're silly but I like these movies. The first one is better, but this one does have some fun moments.
Old 05-30-20, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Compliance (2012) — Creepy, uncomfortable and unnerving for sure, the subject is a bit of a stretch in feature film length and probably better suited as some sort of episode on ID, analyzing the psychology of these incidents. Still, the performances by Ann Dowd and Dreama Walker were both quite good. ***¼/*****

Superman: Red Son (2020) — Okay DC animated movie, a little heavy-handed and features some bad dialogue, but I did like the voice acting from Jason Isaacs as Superman and pretty good animation as well. Nothing I'd watch again but maybe worth a rental. ***/*****
Old 05-30-20, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011) — Probably only my third time viewing and first in at least 8 years and while it's not great, I did find it to be pretty entertaining and Chris Evans embodies the role so well. Red Skull and the heavy prosthetic they placed on Hugo Weaving still was pretty silly looking, however, making him one of many weak villains in the MCU. ***¼/*****
Old 05-30-20, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,752 Posts

Like a Boss (2020)

I rented this for $2 on FandangoNow. It's terrible. Tiffany Haddish is basically playing the same character and Rose Byrne looks anorexic. Salma Hayek has a bad wig, but is somewhat amusing.

It's 84 minutes and probably under 80 minutes with no credits.
Old 05-31-20, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 315 Posts

Ready or Not (2019)

Just as fun as when I saw it in theaters for the first time.

Samara Weaving is wonderful in this!
Old 05-31-20, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Iron Man 2 (2010) — Says a lot, but took now a decade to finally see this sequel. Certainly belongs in the lower tier of the MCU as the plot really felt disjointed and even though it was only two hours, really short for a comic book movie nowadays, still felt so much longer. That said, had a few okay moments yet can't really say anything stood out. **¾/*****
Old 05-31-20, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Haddish and a good movie two things that don't go together
Old 05-31-20, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,752 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Haddish and a good movie two things that don't go together
and you'll be renting it from Red Box next week.
Old 05-31-20, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The movie Netflix sends you instead of Birds of Prey, Invisible Man, 1917 (Still waiting 3 months for that), The Gentleman, and Sonic the Hedge Hog.

It seemed like a long time ago when you saw Cusack in the cast and you would be excited to see it.

Old 05-31-20, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It has been panned but there are a lot of other movies that were a lot worse.

I admit it I own it on Blu-ray though more drama than action.

The prefight interviews cracked me up and loved the Giorgio Moroder score.

A lot of bad acting though the kid became a successful layer and worked in the industry and not the typical child star tragedy.

Old 06-01-20, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 297 Likes on 245 Posts

YMMV but that Over The Top Blu cover is ugly. The movie is just doofy fun (I think the guy who drinks motor oil is the same cool actor who was in Bloodsport)...nice to hear the kid became a lawyer and made something of himself.

I finally finished up Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (1997) which I tivoed back in January off the IFC channel. Hard to believe this film is nearing its 25th anniversary. I enjoyed it but in a it is so bad it was fun to watch anyway capacity and I have to say the film had a pretty cool and diverse cast but the acting chops of certain actors/actresses was all over the map. The special effects were cheesy but fun (who does not like to see a battle between CGI dragons/demons).

This is the first time I watched the sequel as I saw the original at a midnight showing but passed on this film. I am surprised I never watched it on dvd/blu/cable over the years but I have always wanted to give it a watch and have no regrets.

I do like the upbeat ending
Spoiler:
as you go from dark skies and lightning and just a chaotic look back to the normal world and the characters basically walk-off into the sunset (so to speak) together as they consider each other family members. It was a real nice and relaxed way to end the film.

Old 06-01-20, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 315 Posts

Upgrade (2018)

Even with it's flaws, I enjoyed this film a whole lot.

The gore is ruthless. Loved the Soundtrack as well as the vibe of 80s/90s Revenge films.

Wasn't a fan of the ending or the tired Detective archetype that propels films within the Genre.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.