Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 05-22-20, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

It was a great movie

Remember renting it on VHS on a rainy day in the early 90's.

I wonder if it could be made today with people complaining there are no women in that movie
Old 05-23-20, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

I'll disagree. I enjoyed this a lot when I saw it last year. I thought it was a pretty well done cop thriller with some sci-fi. Did you ever see Frequency? It's very similar to it but with a different spin.

Old 05-23-20, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I watched my new Top Gun 4K disc last night. For a 34 year old movie, it looked pretty good and felt very vibrant for it's age. And it was also nice to see a young and hot Kelly McGillis again. I'm not going to make fun of the way she looks now. People change.

Old 05-23-20, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Brahms: The Boy II (2020) — Pointless sequel to a pretty bland movie. I was mostly bored with this one as the whole possessed doll type of horror isn't my thing*, as are most supernatural horror films in general with few exceptions. No real style or anything of interest really happens and the actors seemed just as bored as the audience. Also not helping just about every step of this was predictable. *¼/*****

* Child's Play is an exception, mostly because Chucky actually does things while movies like The Boy II and Annabelle has the dolls controlling others to do their bidding.
Old 05-23-20, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'll disagree. I enjoyed this a lot when I saw it last year. I thought it was a pretty well done cop thriller with some sci-fi. Did you ever see Frequency? It's very similar to it but with a different spin.

Frequency was fun and better than that turd
Old 05-23-20, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another bad movie. A disgrace to the real heroes of World War II and they deserved a better movie than this.

It felt like the sequel to Pearl Harbor and wonder why Woody Harrelson and Patrick Wilson would agree to do this movie.

I am not a Jonas Bros fan but Nick Jonas was probably the best actor outside of Woody Harrelson.
Old 05-23-20, 08:06 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 889 Likes on 752 Posts

Spider-Man: Far From Home (3D)...looks really good in 3D. Really good. Fun movie, the Mysterio reveal is like The Mandoran from IM3, not my favorite, but decent movie overall. Is that Quentin Beck character like that in comics? Kinda con-artist, uses some great tech, etc...
And, we don’t know if there is a multi-verse, yet, right?
Probably liked Homecoming more, but this is nice follow up and Tom Holland is really great at the dual role. Best of the 3. May and Happy stuff is gold. Tomei is so hot and I just love Favreau the actor. And Director, but always loved him in front of camera too. Remember Rudy? Him and Vince Vaughn. I wonder if they met and thus began...

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-23-20 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-23-20, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I watched my new Top Gun 4K disc last night. For a 34 year old movie, it looked pretty good and felt very vibrant for it's age. And it was also nice to see a young and hot Kelly McGillis again. I'm not going to make fun of the way she looks now. People change.
Mid-80s Kelly McGillis was definitely easy on the eyes, and no one can take that away from her. I'm certainly not going to make fun of her, but the lines in that movie...man alive. Duke Stroud getting mad about a fly-by and yelling 'I want somebody's butt, I want it now' back in 1986 probably didn't raise too many eyebrows, but that line hasn't aged well. Similarly, Michael Ironside saying, 'Get your butts above the hard deck' plays a little differently in 2020.

The Youtube-based Movie Trivia Schmoedown had a controversial question about this movie: 'Who played the second lead in Top Gun?'

The main reason this was so controversial is that the contestant insisted the answer was Rick Rossovich. I guess he didn't remember the movie poster with the aforementioned hottie wrapped around Cruise. Even still, if we're talking second male lead then that IMHO would've been Anthony Edwards...maybe Val Kilmer if you're stretching. But Rick Rossovich? I guess the beach volleyball scene really made an impression on that dude.

▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦ ▦

Buddies of mine really wanted to see Drugstore Cowboy back in 1989. I just wasn't feeling it and sat out. I finally caught it today.

This might be a hot take, but the trailer is a lot hipper than the movie. I've read many user comments going on about how brilliant it is, and I have to admit that I don't see it.

I understand that the movie is primarily an arc for Matt Dillon's Bobby Hughes and that Gus Van Sant just wants to present the story without judging the characters. But I'm not sure I see the point of it. Sure, there may not be a point to the film, in which case, was it just an exercise in style?

That's probably what I'm going to walk away with: Bobby's visions of floating animals and bizarre close-ups that don't have any relevance. Nice little postmodern touches that don't go overboard, but still leave you scratching your head. Also, Dillon, Kelly Lynch, James LeGros, and Heather Graham are the most attractive and cleaned-up junkies I've ever seen. I guess that's something to take away from this film: if you shoot up using the stuff these characters use, then you too can look like a movie star.

Old 05-23-20, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Next Three Days (2010) — Seen this movie a handful of times over the years, and still holds up so well. A solid thriller with fine performances by Russell Crowe and Elizabeth Banks, and features a great supporting cast in small parts (seems about 5 min. each), including Liam Neeson, Daniel Stern (wish he'd do more straight dramas), Brian Dennehy (RIP) and Olivia Wilde. Some nice suspense-filled moments throughout (the bump key scene still gets me).

However, the final scene with detective "seeing" how the crime went down seemed like something the studio wanted to give a clear conclusion, and felt so unnecessary. ****/*****

Spoiler:
As a side, shows how much can change in 10 years given their escape to Venezuela...
Old 05-24-20, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Justice League Dark: Apokolips War (2020) — The DC Animated Universe movies have had their ups and downs, though even the lesser ones were entertaining enough, but thoroughly enjoyed this (supposed) conclusion, it's certainly the bloodiest and plenty of major deaths. The animation is mostly good as was the voice acting (funny, didn't care for Jason O'Mara's Batman early on, but over these years, come to really like it) and nice hearing Matt Ryan's return as Constantine. ****¼/*****

THIS is what the live action side should have led to if they had the patience...
Old 05-24-20, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

D-Day: Normandy 1944 (2014) — More or less a Cliff's Notes about D-Day with CGI animation and only archive photos. Like most of these made for IMAX documentaries, might've looked good on the big screen, but home just isn't all that interesting, and there are plenty of real documentaries worth the time. Also, and this is minor, didn't really care for Tom Brokaw's narration. **¾/*****
Old 05-24-20, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It had some laughs but Jesus was good in small doses in the Big Lebowski and he did not his own film though I am a Turturo fan.

Sucks since Hollywood does not make comedies anymore and this puts another nail in the coffin for the theatrical comedy genre
Old 05-24-20, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe the first time I have seen it in 20 years and the first in HD

It was not as bad as I initially thought but it was not great either.

The ending

Old 05-24-20, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts

So I just discovered that a bunch of Fandango Gift Cards I received can be used on Fandangonow, and for the longest time I thought I was stuck with them until I got up the gumption to go to a theater (after they have “opened” I suspect I will be a bit skittish about attending a movie in theaters for quite some time).

This led me to purchase the 4K Jumanji sequel that was on sale, and the regular priced 4K of Bad Boys For Life, Charlies’s Angels (2019), and the live action Harley Quinn film that was in theaters not all that long ago.

I was so giddy about being able to use gift cards to buy all of the above that I watched Bad Boys For Life this morning and Charlies Angels just now.

Wow, Bad Boys was a fun watch and I would not have regretted seeing in theaters.

Also, same with Charlies Angels...a ridiculously fun watch and it may become yet another film that finds a home on home video/VOD/streaming and deserved to have succeeded more than it did when it was in theaters.

Since my gift cards can be used on-line I might just be patient and wait for films like Wonder Woman 1984 to become available for digital purchase (I still have over $90 in GCs left). However, I am guessing that a few months from now we will have a much better picture of how comfortable we all are with each other in venues designed for a large capacity of folks to be in one room/building.
Old 05-24-20, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Taken (2008) — Random viewing tonight, just wanted a slick and simple action-thriller and this fit the bill. Liam Neeson kicks ass and can see why his career in this genre really took off. The camera work was probably the biggest drawback (shaky cam), likely trying emulate the Bourne franchise or something. But entertaining flick that doesn't overstay its welcome coming in at around 90-minutes. ****/*****
Old 05-25-20, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

City Hunter (1993)
I have been watching the anime and I get why they made the movie as it is but the execution was just horrible. The humour especially the sex jokes just didn't work. The best part I found was the Street Fighter sequence. I watched this Dubbed and they had the actual voices from the Street Fighter game on it which was a nice touch.
Otherwise, stay away from this turkey. Stick to the Manga or Anime.
Old 05-25-20, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

One Cut of the Dead (2017)

Went into this film blind and came out enjoying it a whole lot.
Old 05-25-20, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 161 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
City Hunter (1993)
If I'm not mistaken, this is one of the films in Jackie Chan's filmography that he's disowned. I'm pretty sure he also swore never to work with Wong Jing ever again after this movie.

It's really goofy, but I thought it made for a nice contrast with the deadly serious Crime Story which came out the same year.
Old 05-25-20, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott
If I'm not mistaken, this is one of the films in Jackie Chan's filmography that he's disowned. I'm pretty sure he also swore never to work with Wong Jing ever again after this movie.

It's really goofy, but I thought it made for a nice contrast with the deadly serious Crime Story which came out the same year.
They should have known what works and what doesn't trying to get the Manga and Anime into the Live Action film but the plot and delivery was horrendous. First of all Jackie Chan was miscast as City Hunter in the Manga and Anime is more of a sexual pervert and they couldn't do that because it's Jackie Chan.It's just felt off seeing him groping and leering at the women in this movie.
Old 05-25-20, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Lady from Shanghai (1947)
I love the first 20 minutes of this movie and the final part starting with the escape from the Courtroom. Everything else in between was forgettable except Rita Hayworth as a blonde. A plot so convoluted that you need a voice over narration in order to explain the plot.
Old 05-25-20, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts

Jumanji The Next Level. A joy to watch with a lot of heart.
Old 05-25-20, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Jumanji The Next Level. A joy to watch with a lot of heart.
I agree and I liked it better than the previous movie.
Old 05-25-20, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe if you have a sick parent it might be hard to watch.

Jesse Plemmons one of the more underrated actors working today and he has Kirsten Dunst as a partner (wife}?

Old 05-26-20, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
It was a great movie

Remember renting it on VHS on a rainy day in the early 90's.

I wonder if it could be made today with people complaining there are no women in that movie
They'll do a reboot with an all-women cast! It's the trend...although they bomb most of the time (not due to the female cast, but rather pointless scripts).

Last edited by rogerrobert69; 05-26-20 at 08:58 AM.
Old 05-26-20, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Son of Kong (1933)

Total disapointment. The original King Kong is such a wonderful film, even with its 90-year old special effects, it's still a solid action and fantasy adventure that's very watchable even fo today's audiences (if they would give it a go). But this sequel is just plain bad. Barely a story in there, takes forever to get to Skull Island and then you get a cutey baby-Kong doing faces and being all nice and Walt Disney-ish. And it's on-screen for about 15 minutes total. Skip it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.