Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 01-22-20, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Layer Cake - A decent directorial debut by Matthew Vaughn. Craig was okay. Tom Hardy was good but didn't have much to do. Michael Gambon was excellent, I thought. The highlight for me was Sally Hawkins, as I had never seen her in a role like this. She was badass. Wasn't very memorable, but I've liked most of what Vaughn has gone on to make...
Old 01-23-20, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fear X - Awesome underrated Nicolas Winding Refn movie from 2003. John Turturro is fantastic in his role as a mall security guard that is trying to figure out who killed his wife. Refn wrote the script with Hubert Selby Jr. (Requiem for a Dream, etc.) and it is fantastic. The direction is very assured and the set/production design feels very vintage. It was filmed in Winnipeg and you can definitely tell from the old-school looking mall and the roadside diner and vintage hotel, etc. Just kind of a timewarp. The score is done partially in collaboration with Brian Eno, which is always a plus. Refn manages to introduce some of his unique effects shots towards the end, and even on his third picture, which this was, he definitely had a certain style about the way he shot films. Some might not like the ending, maybe feel its a bit anti-climatic, but I thought it was perfect. This really needs to be released on Blu-Ray...

The movie would probably make a great double-feature with Barton Fink...

Last edited by Goonies85; 01-31-20 at 09:37 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-23-20, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

No blade of grass - 1970 post apocalyptic environmental thriller... not bad at all 3/5, very funky!

criterion channel
Old 01-23-20, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1492: Conquest of Paradise - A bit better than I remembered. The scope of the project was pretty mind-boggling, as were it made today the vast majority of the movie would be green screen. Just seeing the enormous sets and the huge number of extras was somewhat refreshing given what today's "epics" look like. A bit long, but the acting was pretty solid. Not a movie I'd pick up on Blu-Ray, but something I just wanted to rewatch cause I remember watching it when I was really, really young and wanted to see how it held up...Still not one of Ridley's best, however...
Old 01-23-20, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Secret Window - Not very good and very predictable Stephen King adaptation by writer/director David Koepp. I did not like the acting done by Depp, Turturro (which is rare), or Hutton. I thought they were all horribly miscast. I thought you could see the twists coming a mile away. The only thing I enjoyed was the setting. I just like seeing movies set in lakeside cabins and small towns...But the story here? Pretty weak. Happy I only streamed this and didn't purchase...
Old 01-23-20, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonies85
Layer Cake - A decent directorial debut by Matthew Vaughn. Craig was okay. Tom Hardy was good but didn't have much to do. Michael Gambon was excellent, I thought. The highlight for me was Sally Hawkins, as I had never seen her in a role like this. She was badass. Wasn't very memorable, but I've liked most of what Vaughn has gone on to make...
Sally Hawkins was memorable? Okay.

I love Layer Cake. It's the film that got Craig his Bond role after Bond's producers watched it. I think it's Vaughn's best film. If you're a least bit interested in the sequel, JJ Connelly wrote it as a novel called "Viva La Madness."
Old 01-23-20, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Sally Hawkins was memorable? Okay.

I love Layer Cake. It's the film that got Craig his Bond role after Bond's producers watched it. I think it's Vaughn's best film. If you're a least bit interested in the sequel, JJ Connelly wrote it as a novel called "Viva La Madness."
The Bond thing totally makes sense. I immediately thought of that cause there's one scene in particular where Craig does the whole "cufflinks" thing...

I might check out that book when I get a chance...
Old 01-23-20, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rules of Engagement - Kind of a "by the numbers" military courtroom drama written by Stephen Gaghan (who is hit or miss; his latest film was f**king Dr. Doolittle) and directed by the once great William Friedkin. The plot is kind of familiar and the viewer can pretty much tell where it is going. The villains were kind of obvious and a little too on the nose with their motivations. Thus, while I usually like Bruce Greenwood, I didn't think he had much to offer the movie. Ditto with Ben Kingsley and Anne Archer. Sam Jackson was reliable, as usual, but it seemed to be the same type of role we've seen him play many times before. Tommy Lee Jones is similar, although I'll give him props for delivering some pretty long monologues with due conviction. That was kind of impressive. Guy Pearce was a little too..."dickish," in my mind. They didn't have to make him so incredibly...heartless (I'm trying to find the right word)...I also struggled a bit with the accent he was pulling off, which has never been the case with him before. Hell, I thought he was perfect in L.A. Confidential, and had no idea he was British/Australian until I looked it up later...
Old 01-23-20, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 754 Likes on 616 Posts

I taped it from HBO

It was alright. Wish there were more scenes with Leila George D'Onofrio.

I think Sean Penn is tapping that.

Old 01-23-20, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Yards - Not sure what cut I watched (it's whatever is on Amazon Prime), but I loved this James Gray film. I thought the attention to detail and the sheer verisimilitude of the movie was phenomenal. The location shooting and the abundance of authentic New York actors really draws the viewer into the movie. And the entire cast is amazing, with so much talent it's pretty much impossible to pick individuals who stood out. It's a really great ensemble cast. Of anyone, I'd say Charlize Theron stood out to me the most, and I don't think I've ever seen her look more beautiful than how she looked in this movie. Ultimately a tragic tale, the film narrative has a great structure and everything is tied up nicely at the end. Also must say it was cool seeing Ellen Burstyn and Faye Dunaway as sisters...two great acting talents from the '70s that proved they still hadn't lost a beat (and would continue to go on and make more great works)...

Would highly recommend...Hope to watch another Gray film, We Own the Night, later on tonight...
Old 01-24-20, 03:04 AM

Received 287 Likes on 238 Posts

The Poseidon Adventure (Classic Version) - I had never seen and wow this was fantastic. In fact, I saw the remake before the original which was a wholly unnecessary remake but got made anyway.
Old 01-24-20, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goonies85
The Yards - Not sure what cut I watched (it's whatever is on Amazon Prime), but I loved this James Gray film. I thought the attention to detail and the sheer verisimilitude of the movie was phenomenal. The location shooting and the abundance of authentic New York actors really draws the viewer into the movie. And the entire cast is amazing, with so much talent it's pretty much impossible to pick individuals who stood out. It's a really great ensemble cast. Of anyone, I'd say Charlize Theron stood out to me the most, and I don't think I've ever seen her look more beautiful than how she looked in this movie. Ultimately a tragic tale, the film narrative has a great structure and everything is tied up nicely at the end. Also must say it was cool seeing Ellen Burstyn and Faye Dunaway as sisters...two great acting talents from the '70s that proved they still hadn't lost a beat (and would continue to go on and make more great works)...

Would highly recommend...Hope to watch another Gray film, We Own the Night, later on tonight...

They were both good movies. They came out a long time ago in the decade before the 2010's.
Old 01-24-20, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

First time in 10 or 9 years I have seen it and from a different perspective looking at it with Pattinson now a respected actor and not a Tween pin-up.

Maybe he was trying to channel James Dean in that fight with Pierce Brosnan.
Old 01-24-20, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hostage - Horrible, horrible Bruce Willis movie released in the mid-2000s. The problem is mainly the script, which is beyond stupid (and the opening credit sequence is foreboding, as it is one of the dumbest, most pointlessly stylized opening credits sequence I've ever seen; I have no idea why they wasted the money coming up with those CGI opening credits.). Ben Foster is one of the main baddies, and well he's usually game, this is one of the few times he's been absolutely horrid (I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the script, but his acting histrionics do not help or add anything). The whole plot is non-sensical...Skip this one...

We Own the Night - I liked this one even better than The Yards. I thought the interplay between Wahlberg, Phoenix, and Duvall was great. And there's several little twists that caught me off guard. Also, being a giant fan, I loved the use of Blondie's music throughout the film. Eva Mendes was also really impressive. This, much like The Yards, totally felt like an old-school '70s cop thriller, reminiscent of something like Prince of the City...Sure some of the plot twists are a little far-fetched, but those didn't bother me that much, and didn't take away from my overall enjoyment of the movie...

Last edited by Goonies85; 01-24-20 at 09:23 PM. Reason: correction
Old 01-24-20, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Very Bad Things (1998)This is a movie I saw many years ago, probably when it was first released on DVD, and if memory serves, I didn't like it all that much. Watching it again all these years later, and perhaps getting older helped me appreciate the dark (pitch black really) comedic elements. Found myself laughing so much. Christian Slater has never been better playing such a psychopath. Really good first film from Peter Berg. 3.75/5
Old 01-24-20, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Irrational Man - Pretty sublime Woody Allen movie from a few years back. Phoenix and Stone are perfect playing a professor/student odd couple. Their voiceover work, thanks to the writing of Allen, is really terrific. Parker Posey also figures in a key role, and is great, as usual. Just a really solid movie, with a few odd turns that really keeps you engaged. I liked it.

The score was also fantastic.

Last edited by Goonies85; 01-24-20 at 05:51 PM. Reason: added thoughts
Old 01-24-20, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked that movie too and I am not a huge Woody Allen fan and wish Hollywood would make more movies like We Own the Night.
Old 01-25-20, 06:36 AM

Received 224 Likes on 149 Posts

Panga (2020, India)

Jaya Nigam (Kangana Ranaut) is a world champion kabaddi player as a young woman, but she gives it all up after she gets married and has a baby. That baby grows up to be a seven-year-old boy who learns of his mother's past fame and becomes obsessed with having her make a comeback in the sport. Jaya's loving husband encourages her to at least make an attempt at a comeback in order to satisfy their son's wishes.

Jaya decides to play along and goes through the motions of getting back into shape, but after having the chance to practice against younger girls, she begins to take her comeback seriously. When she is faced with spending a significant amount of time away from her husband and son in order to practice as part of an actual team, she decides to give up on her dreams. But after her husband assures her that he and their son will be able to cope during her absence, she sets her sights on making the national team and competing for a world championship again. But will her marriage be able to survive her absence? And can she still compete against women who are younger and more athletic than her?

The most interesting thing about Panga is that it's about a sport, kabaddi, that I had never even heard of before, but apparently has teams from around the world competing against each other. It actually looks like a lot of fun, though I couldn't quite figure out all the rules and how points were scored. The movie itself is your standard underdog sports story that recycles all the standard sports movie cliches, including the big championship match during the finale that is decided on the final play (by guess who). Yes, this movie is extremely corny and relentlessly predictable, but it's also well meaning, enjoyable fluff, and you will have a hard time not rooting for Jaya as she illustrates the movie's not-too-subtle message that even moms need a chance to follow their dreams.

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 01-25-20 at 06:46 AM.
Old 01-25-20, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,045 Likes on 641 Posts

Godzilla: King of the Monsters - This was my second viewing and while this movie has a lot of problems, I can't help but love seeing Godzilla, Hydra, Mothra, Rodan, et al on the screen together in a big Hollywood production.
Old 01-25-20, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Terminator: Dark Fate (2019) — Pretty good (second) reboot for this long-running franchise with some decent action, respectable enough visual effects (some parts looked off, though) and I did genuinely liked the two new cast members while Linda Hamilton and Arnold Schwarzenegger were fine.

That being said, it's also pretty clear this is not a franchise that needed to have gone beyond the two movies (and I might give leniency to "The Sara Connor Chronicles"). The saving grace is that on the technical front, it was an entertaining popcorn flick but like Genysis (which I also liked tbh), not really sure when I would revisit. 3.5/5
Old 01-25-20, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Mule - Pretty lacklustre Clint Eastwood film. I never really got hooked with the story, as it seemed to play it safe I never really felt a sense of danger throughout the movie. Eastwood's acting was okay, I suppose, but the whole family dynamic was pretty cliche (I know it's based on a true story, so maybe that part is accurate, but it's still the type of thing we've seen hundreds of times). I just didn't feel like the movie broke any new ground, and was pretty dull for the most part. Can't say anything bad about the cast, only that no one in particular really stood out...Probably not ever going to watch this one again...

Last edited by Goonies85; 01-26-20 at 05:03 AM. Reason: added
Old 01-25-20, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My Bloody Valentine (1981) — Okay early 1980s slasher (with some decent gore effects, though the violence was very tame compared to today) that has its moments but really never found it very suspenseful or worse, engaging, maybe hurting there's not much in the way of a lead to follow. I know this holds a special place in some people's hearts, I just didn't do it for me. I will say the killer's outfit was great. The killer's motivation... not so much. 3.0/5
Old 01-25-20, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Blades of Glory - Awful Will Ferrell movie, made worse by the fact that Jon Heder is in it. I hate Napoleon Dynamite and have never liked Heder in anything he's ever done. And despite really liking Will Arnett and Amy Poehler, they really didn't have that many funny bits in this movie, aside from their on ice performance set to Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. That's pretty much the only part of the movie where I maybe chuckled a bit...Aside from that, this movie sucked.
Old 01-25-20, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,392 Likes on 4,377 Posts

Watched Animal House with my college-age daughter last night. I've seen it lots of times, but it was her first. She declared that it "Didn't age well" and had some rapey and pervey jokes in it. That part is a little hard to dispute. I tried to explain to her that it was a different time and those were just jokes (and became staples of the genre for a decade or more), but somehow John Belushi grabbing a pretty woman against her will, throwing her in the back of a car and driving off with her (and finding out he later married her) feels a lot less triumphant in 2020 than it did in 1978.
Old 01-26-20, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,045 Likes on 641 Posts

Sweetheart - I saw a trailer for this a while back and I'm a sucker for monster movies so when I noticed last night it was on Netflix I had to give it a try. Meh. I think it starts with a decent concept, but it plays out too much like a bad Syfy movie. Pretty amateurish all around.`

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.