Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 01-13-20, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Uncut Gems - 4/5

Intense film with an excellent Adam Sandler. Adam, please stop making those cornball comedies and more stuff like this.
Old 01-13-20, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Fourth Man - 4/5

Paul Verhoeven's last Dutch film before coming to the US is a nice Hitchcockian erotic thriller.
Old 01-13-20, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Pain and Glory - 4.5/5

Antonio Banderas delivers his greatest performance as a filmmaker suffering from a creative block.

Last edited by inri222; 01-21-20 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-13-20, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Creed II - 3.5/5
Solid Entry
Old 01-13-20, 11:00 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,182 Likes on 835 Posts

VHYES.
​​​​​​A boy is gifted a VHS camcorder for Christmas. To say more would almost be too much. This movie is absurd and has a great balance of humor and heart.
I'd even say it would be best to avoid the trailer...

It's playing for a very limited time, this month only. If it's playing near y'all, you should make time to see it.
5/5
​​​​​
Old 01-13-20, 04:56 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

What a movie! It really makes you appreciate how good we have it. The extreme sacrifices that our soldiers make and have made to keep our way of life can never be overestimated. Mendes does a great job of telling a story without using a lot of dialogue to stir your soul.
Old 01-14-20, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

The House by the Cemetery (1981) — Not a big fan of Lucio Fulci but I did enjoy Zombie. However, The House by the Cemetery is a mess of a horror film with mysterious elements, like how Professor Norman had been to this town before, goes nowhere (not to mention the mystery surrounding Ann, the babysitter) and despite a short running time, feels really tedious. Beyond that, in Fulci form, and most Italian horror, the dubbing is pretty bad and characters make dumb decisions. Oh and the child, "Bob", was annoying af.

On the positive side, at least the gore effects weren't bad and there were a few creepy moments, even Fraudstein's prosthetics effects weren't bad, but everything else supersedes anything good. 2.0/5
Old 01-14-20, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 589 Posts

Jane the Virgin wants to be a successful rapper
Old 01-15-20, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ellen Page and Kate Mara have a lot of sex with each other
Old 01-16-20, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe this was a paid infomercial for the Insane Clown Posse

It would have been better if Kate McKinnon played the lead.
Old 01-17-20, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Gemini Man (2019):

Not at all bad and pretty watchable action-thriller, but also outside some of the effects and fight choreography (when you can see what's going on), not terribly memorable either.

Also, using 60 fps was a bit off-putting, especially with the daylight scenes making this look cheaper than it probably was, at times feeling like you're watching something online or even on 1x fast forward. Not entirely sure why Ang Lee went in that direction, but didn't work for me.

All in all, maybe worth a rental but certainly far from a best effort from both Lee and Will Smith. 3.25/5
Old 01-17-20, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the story and the characters though his style of comedy is not really that funny.
Old 01-17-20, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Bad Boys For Life (2020)

Even though there are completely unnecessary nuances to the plot, I had a lot of fun with this one.
Old 01-17-20, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Book of Monsters (2018)

The actual Book of Monsters itself is beautifully illustrated & anchors the entire film.

Outside that,the film isn't that memorable and quality of the creature effects in the film reflect the budget. Ranging from solid to seasonal Halloween attraction.
Old 01-18-20, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Netflix skips Joker, Ad Astra, It 2, Gemini Man, and the Farewell and sends me this
Spoiler:
Never thought I would see Laurence Fishbourne beating off in a movie. There goes the stoic image of Neo.

Old 01-18-20, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

The House That Jack Built (2019). Overlong, arch, pretentious, with some audacious visual ideas, all of which one expects from Von Trier. Interstitial philosophizing involving Bruno Ganz and animations has moments of interest (e.g. the shadows cast by a person passing under a row of streetlights), but serial killer material is thoroughly banal and the two aspects are incongruent as presented; moreover, the modern ironic detachment truly grates. Ganz is wonderful in one of his last roles, but Dillon is too lightweight. 5/10
Old 01-18-20, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Just a fantastic movie!
Old 01-18-20, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Irishman (2019)

Even at its enormous run-time, I never once was bored. Great performances all-around, with Joe Pesci's being my absolute favorite.
The following users liked this post:
JeffTheAlpaca (01-18-20)
Old 01-18-20, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Marriage Story (2019)

Fantastic film with great performances from Scarlett Johansson & Adam Driver.

The film is a bit difficult to watch and did a number on my emotions.
Old 01-18-20, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
The House That Jack Built (2019). Overlong, arch, pretentious, with some audacious visual ideas, all of which one expects from Von Trier. Interstitial philosophizing involving Bruno Ganz and animations has moments of interest (e.g. the shadows cast by a person passing under a row of streetlights), but serial killer material is thoroughly banal and the two aspects are incongruent as presented; moreover, the modern ironic detachment truly grates. Ganz is wonderful in one of his last roles, but Dillon is too lightweight. 5/10

I liked it since it was different
Old 01-18-20, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder how they got this all star cast for this when the material was ok but nothing exceptional?

I don't think a young teenage girl doing a nude selfie to impress Steve Carrell would work today
Old 01-18-20, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
The Irishman (2019)

Even at its enormous run-time, I never once was bored. Great performances all-around, with Joe Pesci's being my absolute favorite.
Agree! I just watched it last night. Most excellent!
Old 01-19-20, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wild at Heart (1990)

I always seem to enjoy this film, even though the latter quarter of the film drags a bit for me.

Some of the performances haven't aged very well.
Old 01-19-20, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

The Laundromat - Soderbergh's new movie that is currently on Netflix. I thought (like most of the scripts he's done that Scott Z. Burns has had a hand in) this was a pretty solid movie. Very stylized. Almost had a Big Short-vibe to it, in that it went to great lengths to try and come up with unique ways to help the viewers understand exactly what offshore companies are and what all of the financial jargon means. Now, I was a little off-put by the accents adopted by Gary Oldman and Antonio Banderas to start the movie, but eventually I got used to them. I thought Meryl Streep was exceptional in this, and she has one scene early on that will shock the hell out of viewers. I know when I saw it I almost spit out the soda I was drinking; it was SHOCKING, and in a great way. I also thought that it was really good at keeping the length under two hours. I'd still want to watch it one more time to truly understand all of the financial machinations discussed, but after my first viewing I'd say it's a really solid movie.

Spider-Man: Far From Home - Was a fan of the previous Spider-Man movie, but not as much as most. This one I thought was terrific, especially the first half. I really thought Gyllenhaal was excellent as Mysterio, and I loved the character arc (even though, obviously, comic book fans could see the twists coming a mile away). His interaction with Tom Holland really made the movie, in my mind. The special effects were also outstanding, especially the first big fight with Mysterio. That was just soooooo endlessly creative. And I liked Mysterio's character/costume design and his "powers" and all that. Sam Jackson was also pretty funny in the movie, and has a few real laugh-out-loud lines. Drawbacks? Still not sure what to think of Zendaya. She's okay, but I have no idea why Tom Holland's Peter Parker would be so head-over-heels for her. His comic relief sidekick? Less annoying than in the first movie but still a bit irksome. I liked seeing Betty Brant, as I like that actress (I can't remember where I've seen her before but I know she impressed me a lot in at least one previous role), but I'm not sure I like how they pushed her in the movie (a deviation from the comics). Flash Thompson is what he is, I guess. That actor is merely okay in the film.
Spoiler:
Loved the J. Jonah Jameson (JK Simmons!!!) cameo at the end, and was really intrigued by the Nick Fury/Skrulls scene (haven't seen Captain Marvel yet, so maybe that will help make that a little bit more clear). As for Spider-Man's Peter Parker identity being revealed? I don't know, that seems to happen a lot in current day comic book stories so I didn't think it was that big of a deal...Probably would've preferred his identity remain secret but I guess the point they are making is that in today's day and age, with smartphones and cameras prevalent everywhere, it's probably unrealistic that his identity wouldn't eventually be revealed...

Anyway, looking forward to the next Spider-Man movie...

Paterno - Really good HBO movie in which Al Pacino really gives a great and nuanced performance. I much, much preferred this to the previous HBO movie Pacino did, Phil Spector. This one wasn't too long, and I liked the family dynamic that is constant throughout the movie, when Paterno's family is constantly questioning what he knew and when he knew it. A truly despicable story, that is told very well by the filmmakers involved...

Phil Spector - As said above, I was disappointed in this HBO movie written and directed by the usually reliable David Mamet. I just didn't like the style it was filmed in, and while I know Phil Spector was a very weird and eccentric character, I thought they went a little over-the-top in how they portrayed him in this movie. And I've seen interviews with him and video of him behaving in truly bizarre ways, but I just thought that angle was pushed a little too far here. I'd probably recommend skipping this one, as there's much, much better movies streaming on HBO On-Demand...

The Wizard of Lies - De Niro is great in this as asshole Bernie Madoff. Pfeiffer is also really great as his wife (I thought she did a great job at selling that accent). The actors that play Madoff's sons were also extremely solid. The structure of the movie was really great too, as they could've done the movie numerous ways, and had it start much, much early in Madoff's life, but instead the way they did it was great. It really infuriates the viewer, but De Niro does a really great job in not making Madoff completely irredeemable (although most people feel otherwise). That said, Madoff got exactly what he deserved (several lifetimes in prison). Just a really great movie about an interesting but reprehensible individual...
Old 01-19-20, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Wild at Heart (1990)

I always seem to enjoy this film, even though the latter quarter of the film drags a bit for me.

Some of the performances haven't aged very well.
Crispin Glover's small role is completely off-the-hook insanely weird...But interesting...

And, man, I bet Willem Dafoe had a blast making this one...One of my favourites of his...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.