Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-19, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

The Bourne Legacy - Wow, by far my favorite of the Bourne movies (although I've haven't seen the most recent one that brought Damon back). I thought Tony Gilroy did a much better job directing the action sequences than Paul "Shaky-Cam" Greengrass...And I thought the plot was a lot, lot more believable. I also thought the entire cast was great. I preferred Jeremy Renner to Matt Damon as the lead. I thought Ed Norton made a great pseudo-villain. And the other parts from people like Joan Allen, Stacy Keach, David Strathairn, Corey Stoll, Oscar Isaac all added to the movie. And I thought it had a great ending...When it comes to solid, smart action movies, it's hard to top something like this...

Last edited by Goonies85; 10-22-19 at 09:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-10-19, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Edge of Darkness - I remember enjoying this the first time I saw it when it originally came out and it holds up quite well. Mel Gibson is fantastic in his role, and Martin Campbell does a great but subtle job with the direction. The script is also actually pretty smart, and the dialogue works quite well (especially between Gibson and Winstone). Danny Huston also made a great villain. Frank Grillo is also featured in one of his earlier movie roles...Enough shocks to keep the viewer compelled...I really liked this one...There's not enough smart action movies like this these days...The score was also terrific...
Old 09-10-19, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Into the Ashes (2019) — Movie wants to be a slow burn thriller but it's just plain slow, especially the first 38-minutes which offered nothing, not even well written character development. The last part of the movie oddly skips a scene and utilize a flaskback to fill in what happened (why not just be linear like the rest of the film; felt out of place) and the ending just felt messy and finishes with Robert Taylor's character providing voice over all of the sudden (when there were none prior and he wasn't the main character). At least Frank Grillo delivered in a small role. 2.25/5
Old 09-10-19, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I remember I could not watch this back when I was a kid

I guess the topless scene was the reason.
Old 09-10-19, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pitch Black: Unrated Director's Cut - Had heard a lot of good things about this but hadn't seen it. I was very, very disappointed. I didn't really care for the derivative storyline, nor the color scheme (desaturated, I think) that was used throughout the first half of the movie. I also didn't find any of the characters really "involving." And, even Vin Diesel, where a lot of people say this, Boiler Room, and Saving Private Ryan were his breakthrough movies, I thought was pretty weak in this. And Cole Hauser, who I loved in Dazed and Confused, gave a pretty awful performance. While it does pick up a bit in the last 40 minutes or so, the CGI effects really haven't aged well and I don't think the direction was good at all. I much, much prefer David Twohy's Below to this one (His A Perfect Getaway was also a great little gem of a movie, that has only grown on me over time and several additional viewings). Now that was an awesome scary movie...This one did nothing for me...I can't believe they made a sequel to this one (which is in the two-pack I bought, but it's doubtful I'll watch it anytime soon)...

Last edited by Goonies85; 09-10-19 at 07:23 PM. Reason: added thoughts
Old 09-10-19, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonies85
Pitch Black: Unrated Director's Cut - Had heard a lot of good things about this but hadn't seen it. I was very, very disappointed. I didn't really care for the derivative storyline, nor the color scheme (desaturated, I think) that was used throughout the first half of the movie. I also didn't find any of the characters really "involving." And, even Vin Diesel, where a lot of people say this, Boiler Room, and Saving Private Ryan were his breakthrough movies, I thought was pretty weak in this. And Cole Hauser, who I loved in Dazed and Confused, gave a pretty awful performance. While it does pick up a bit in the last 40 minutes or so, the CGI effects really haven't aged well and I don't think the direction was good at all. I much, much prefer David Twohy's Below to this one (His A Perfect Getaway was also a great little gem of a movie, that has only grown on me over time and several additional viewings). Now that was an awesome scary movie...This one did nothing for me...I can't believe they made a sequel to this one (which is in the two-pack I bought, but it's doubtful I'll watch it anytime soon)...
Poor you, there's actually 3 sequels to it if you count the animated one. And is Vin Diesel ever any good? I think not...
Old 09-10-19, 09:18 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Yesterday was a good movie. I quite liked it.
Old 09-10-19, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Safe House - Decent action movie starring Denzel and Ryan Reynolds. It's got an interesting setting, taking place in South Africa, and has some great action sequences. Also has good supporting roles by Vera Farmiga, Sam Shepard, and Brendan Gleeson. I thought the direction was pretty solid, and while the ending was pretty predictable (and there really weren't that many surprises throughout the movie), I'd still recommend giving it a spin...It was nice seeing Denzel and Reynolds play off of each other...
Old 09-11-19, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Safe - Surprisingly awesome Jason Statham action movie written and directed by Boaz Yakin. Was thrilled by this movie. Felt like an old school '80s action movie. The action scenes (while pretty far-fetched, at times) were terrifically shot. A little sappy (which was kind of obvious given the plot) but it was a fun ride...Would recommend to action fans...
Old 09-11-19, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Aladdin - Thought it was good not great. Will Smith was fine as the genie. Didn't care for the actor playing Jafar, thought his acting was wooden. I much prefer the animated classic. 3 /5
Old 09-11-19, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

BASEketball (1998)

Boy are we far from the great 80s comedies of the Zucker. Abrahams, Zucker trio. Plus the South Park guys should stick to voices and vulgar comedy in which they excel and keep away from acting (and I think they did too after this bombed)
Two childhood looser friends invent a sport where it's played just for fun and not for big money nor sponsorships as with all other professionnal sports. But once it gets popular, they'll be torn on the selling out issue.
I chuckled once or twice but was mostly bored and/or embarasssed.

Old 09-11-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Play Misty for Me (1971)

Eastwood's first directing job is not bad but uber-cheezy in the love interludes. And his wooden acting with his jaw set in concrete like he has a pole up his ass is quite unbearable. Apart from thast, the crazy psycho story of the lady stalker is effective.

A radio dj has a one night stand with a fan but she turns out to be some psychotic chick who thought they were in love and will cling dramatically and violently to their non-relation.

Old 09-11-19, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mr Arkadin (1955)

Orson Welles wrote and directed but had his control snatched by the producers at the editing part. As with most of his films! So there are 4-5 versions of this film out there. Quite a hyper stressful and bizarre script with Welles' usual visual extravaganza. The main actor was quite bad and the many different nationalities dubbed actors/actresses didn't help cohesion but overall quite thrilling.
A powerful businessman with a sombre past that he can't remember hires an adventurer who is supposedly in love with his daughter to try and fill the gaps before he became rich. But as the pieces of the puzzle fall into place all the witnesses of that era die one by one...
Old 09-11-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Treasure Hunter (2011)

Awful chinese rip-off of Indiana Jones. No redeeming value.

An adventurer helps the daughter of a dead archeologist discover a hidden city in the chinese desert. But various gangs of brigands are also on the trail.
Old 09-11-19, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Surprised Paul Shraeder directed this since it seems beneath him and his talents as an artist.

I was hoping Annette O' Toole would be the one that would go fully nude too.
Old 09-12-19, 04:53 AM
Cool New Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wicked Witch (2018) - 3/10
Horrible slow-paced demon/witchcraft film but the effects were decent.

Old 09-12-19, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A Indie romance

Khleo Thomas the kid in Holes that 2003 movie with Shia Lebeouf is now 30 years old.
Old 09-12-19, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

2/5

First time seeing this movie and near the middle I was anxious for it to end. This must be in the comedy horror genre? Girl getting stabbed multiple times in the heart and still running around. Near the middle of the film the theme song plays and some scratchy voice is heard singing to the music. Was going to give it one star but those particular moments brought me high laughter.
Old 09-13-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Friday the 13th (1980) — Seems only fitting to watch this today and still holds up really well and Betsy Palmer was really creepy. Have to think a newer generation of teens or those in their early 20s probably would find this mild compared with other horror movies, but I kind of like the simplicity of the story and kills. 3.75/5
Old 09-13-19, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The bad date and the Chris Rock cameo were the highlights but overall it was a average movie

What is the big deal about Tiffany Haddish? She has to be the most annoying comedian ever and I would not be pissed if she goes away.
Old 09-13-19, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A 2016 movie with Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day playing the lead along with Fred Armisen, Judy Greer, Selma Blair, and Chris Messina.

I wonder in real life if he is like the character he plays since he seems like a mellow normal guy,
Old 09-13-19, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
What is the big deal about Tiffany Haddish? She has to be the most annoying comedian ever and I would not be pissed if she goes away.
I don't get it either. Not that the movie was good anyway (though plenty seemed to like it a lot), but I found her obnoxious in Girls Trip.
Old 09-13-19, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And she is not that funny either and a horrible host for the 2018 MTV Movie Awards.
Old 09-14-19, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

(500) Days of Summer (2009)

Zooey Deschanel & Joseph Gordon-Levitt are fantastic in this.

I also love Marc Webb's non-linear approach to the narrative.
Old 09-14-19, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

IT Chapter Two (2019)

While the film was a bit long and had distracting CGI choices, I still enjoyed it.

Fantastic Casting choices!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.