Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-19, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Swing Time (1936)
This was my first Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movie and I liked it. Great song and dance numbers and beautiful choreography. Plot is simple but fast paced so it doesn’t drag.

However, the blackface and the arrogance of Astaire’s character towards his love rival puts a little damper to this movie for me.
Old 08-15-19, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Fahrenheit 451 - The Francois Truffaut film from 1966 with Oskar Werner and Julie Christie. Well, I've always loved the book, and generally have liked/loved all the Truffaut movies I've seen (all the Doinel films, The Soft Skin, Jules et Jim, Shoot the Piano Player, etc.), and I really, really loved this one. I love the opening scene where the credits are spoken over a bunch of shots that zoom in on various antennas, and I thought the score was great. Werner and Christie were equally good, and even though some of the film may seem a bit cheesy, Bradbury's underlying message about censorship really comes through. Also, the neighbourhoods they shot in look very unusual, at times, and it really adds to the film's atmosphere...And the ending was really touching and great. I imagine I'll be watching this again sooner rather than later...

Avengers: Endgame - I'm conflicted on this one. While I can appreciate what they've accomplished, weaving in all of these different movies and characters and trying to bring it all to a crazy (sorta) conclusion (at least Phase I), but I had so many problems with this movie. Even at three hours, there's simply way to many characters to give each of them their moments (even though, God, did they ever try). A couple of pet peeves:
Spoiler:
I didn't like how Black Widow's death was handled. I honestly didn't even really care when it occurred. I was just like, okay, looks like the Black Widow movie they announced is going to be some sort of a prequel. Okay. I was disappointed that a ton of the superheroes didn't really appear until the third act. Now, I understand what happened to them at the end of the last movie, but I really didn't think that they wouldn't show up until the final battle. I was especially hoping for more Quill. I also hated how it ended with that giant battle. It felt like the ending to a DC movie (which are usually just 45 minutes or so of CGI-heavy "action" that is completely devoid of emotion. I also still don't quite get what Thanos had going on. His motivation, at least to me, was kind of muddled. (And don't get me started on Nebula's role in the movie. I can't stand that character and was surprised she had such an, at least somewhat, prominent role). That said, I did like Ant-Man in the movie. And I loved Thor in this one. Hemsworth did a great job with what he had to work with.

But yeah, overall very disappointed in this one.

Last edited by Goonies85; 08-15-19 at 10:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-15-19, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dan

I think you mean Andrew Dominik.
You got me. I was thinking of The Proposition, also a great movie...And, hey, they're both Aussies right? Dominik had Chopper and Hillcoat had The Proposition, so I was kind of close, lol...
Old 08-15-19, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by davidlynchfan
Gotta give “Salvador” some love too if we’re talking Oliver Stone.
And Talk Radio, I suppose (I forgot about that one)...And then there's all of the movies he had a hand in writing (Year of the Dragon, Scarface, Conan the Barbarian, I think)...He was pretty prolific as a screenwriter for other directors back in the day...
Old 08-16-19, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

A story most people don't know about. I felt sorry for what happened to him though the movie was not really that fun to watch and it kept jumping timelines and you could not really connect with the character.

Ian McShane was in it too.
Old 08-16-19, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

The Nightingale (2019)

Standard 70s Rape & Revenge film that attempts to disguise itself as something more.

Trades in Director Jennifer Kent's subtlety from her 2014 film The Babadook for monotonous brutality.

With that said, Baykali Ganambarr gives a fantastic performance here.
Old 08-16-19, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Invader Zim: Enter The Florpus - I waited years for this to finally be made and come out, I wish it was longer but they made this so well. its just like the show and still has the humor and weirdness. So glad this came out 5/5
Old 08-17-19, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark (2019)

The film's imagery was solid but the accompanying Plot was incredibly generic & cliche.
Old 08-17-19, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw (2019)

Well-cast & entertaining but overstays it's welcome by 30+ minutes.

Loved Idris Elba as a villain, even if he isn't given too much to chew on.
Old 08-17-19, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Killers Anonymous (2019) — Poorly edited mystery-thriller that has some awful exposition-filled dialogue and a plot (and twist) that makes no sense. Should've expected this from a studio like Grindstone Entertainment, and yet they got me again. Gary Oldman must've done a huge favor for someone in the production and Jessica Alba literally is only in the film for a few minutes in a pointless scene. 1.5/5
Old 08-17-19, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was ok but generic

Meagan Good should ditch the butch haircut.

Spoiler:
I thought it would not be that obvious the Quaid character would be a killer and demented and maybe a twist in the end but it was not that type of movie.
Old 08-18-19, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I do love Missing In Action, though I was referring to films made by Vietnamese Filmmakers and (actually) filmed in Vietnam.

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (2019)

Enjoyed this film a whole lot. DiCaprio & Pitt were fantastic!
With your extensive knowledge of asian cinema I had guessed that you were referring to actual vietnamese films. I was just making a silly joke about Missing in Action being the pinnacle of films about the Vietnam war! I can't say I remember anything about it really apart from Chuck's bad acting.
Old 08-18-19, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thirst (2009)

Vampire film by Korean director Chan-Wook Park (of Oldboy fame). I like the fact that instead of going the usual route for the genre, he put a twisted love story in the middle of all this and made it rather dark in the character's psychology and tone. Different and enjoyable.
Old 08-18-19, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Prince and the Showgirl (1957)

Laurence Olivier starred and directed this rom com about a Prince from a small (fake) european state that comes to London for the coronation of King George in 1911 and falls for the dumb blonde that was meant as a one night stand. Marilyn excels at playing her usual role (a much better performance - more in her range it seemed - than in her last film The Misfits) of likeable naive willing blonde but Olivier overdoes it as the conservative autoritative ruler. The middle part with the coronation drags on and the end is a bit rushed. Not her nor his best, but still a piece of cinematic curious.
Old 08-18-19, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo (1977)

Below average 'horror' TV movie from the seventies where a plane carrying coffee and tarantulas from Ecuador crashes in a remote area of the USA. After a few deaths, the locals realise that there are killer spiders in their fields and town and try and track them down. I liked the fact that they kill the little bratty kid after 30 minutes. I'm not sure modern tv movies would kill child characters on-screen?

Old 08-18-19, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Valerian and the City of A Thousand Planets (2017)

Second time around the script nor the acting has improved (talk about charisma-devoid lead roles) but the visuals are great. Il love the bande dessinée (comic book) from which it is taken but Besson should have hired a qualified scripwriter instead of trying the whole thing himself.

Old 08-18-19, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Horrible Bosses 2 (2014)

I remember laughing a few times at the first one but here I barely smiled a few times. Not a complete bomb but felt very reheated.
Three friends get rid of their bosses by starting their own company but are they ready to face the ruthless world of businessmen!
Old 08-18-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Four Flies on Grey Velvet (1971)

Seldom seen giallo by Dario Argento. His usual touch of music, bizarre psychos, twists is there but the color saturated lighting isn't there yet. I had this on my wish list for a long time. Glad I saw it. Not bad but not his best work.
A musician is forced into killing a stalker but realises someone took pictures of the crime. But instead of blackmailing him the mysterious photographer toys with him.
Old 08-18-19, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe if they casted somebody who specializes in comedy the movie would have been funnier though it was nice to see Depp not doing a Pirates movie again.

I thought Zoey Deutch would have had a bigger role.
Old 08-18-19, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Farewell (2019)

Enjoyed this film. Well-cast.

It brought back memories of my final months with my own grandmother and her wonderful spirit.
Old 08-19-19, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Zero Dark Thirty (2012) 2.5/5

Re-watch after reading The Exile, the well-researched account of bin Laden and Al Qaeda in flight after 9/11 by British investigative journalists Cathy Scott-Clark and Adrian Levy.
Old 08-19-19, 03:52 AM

The Germanic Tribes (2009) 3.5/5

4-part documentary about some of the southern Germanic tribes in Roman times. Most interesting for me was the 2nd part which covered the 9 CE Battle of Teutoburg Forest in which the barbarians led by Arminius (who as a child had been sent to Rome as a tribute) annihilated three Roman legions and their auxilliaries.
Old 08-19-19, 04:16 AM

Anastasia (1956) 3.0/5

In 1930s Paris a former White Russian general (Yul Brynner) and his colleagues scheme to collect £10 million from the Bank of England by having an impoverished girl (Ingrid Bergman in her 2nd Oscar-winning performance) pose as the Grand Duchess Anastasia who is rumored to have survived the execution of Czar Nicholas II and his family.
Old 08-19-19, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought with the strong sexual content there would be more nudity.

If they lived today this kind of thing probably would not be that big of a deal but then again who knows in the era of Trump.
Old 08-19-19, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

I thought with the strong sexual content there would be more nudity.

If they lived today this kind of thing probably would not be that big of a deal but then again who knows in the era of Trump.
I missed this on it's theater run and am looking forward to finding a second hand copy one day! I know it's not a masterpiece but the subject seemed interesting. Was it worth a watch?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.