Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 06-18-19, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,006 Likes on 624 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Ewan bangs every woman he sees in this movie and if you are female he shows his piece.

Mortimer what a bod.

A rare NC-17 movie
I didn't care much for the movie, but Emily Mortimer's boobs were worth the watch.
Old 06-19-19, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Famous Boners (1942) - Misleading title.
Old 06-19-19, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I didn't care much for the movie, but Emily Mortimer's boobs were worth the watch.

Probably since he was probably one of the most unlikable characters in movie history

Spoiler:
And he gets away with the crime and does not get punished or admit he was guilty at the end in the courtroom and not write some stupid admission of guilt note in a telephone booth
Old 06-19-19, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was not great or bad as the reviews maybe since I looked at if from a different light since I am a Ronan fan and back in 2013 she was still kind of new.

Diane Krueger was the Seeker and if she wants to seek me I am ok with that.

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 06-19-19 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-19-19, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Being Rose on Showtime

Strange seeing Cybill Shepherd and Pam Greer as old women.

If you take out the profanity this could be a Hallmark or Lifetime movie.
Old 06-19-19, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Doom (2005)

Up there with Ingmar Bergman's or Andrei Tarkovski's best! With witty dialogues à la Woody Allen! Or not! Dwayne Johnson was terrible, at least he has improved his acting (a bit) over the years. I watch this every 5-6 years and don't remember the 'plot' from one time to the next. This time I was surprised to see Rosamund Pike in it. Can't wait for the next viewing in a few years. Maybe it will improve with time like good wine?
Old 06-19-19, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Timothy Leary’s Last Trip (1997)

More an hommage to the man than a proper documentary. Shot by the son of one of the Merry Prangsters and interviewing and following the old gang in the last months of Leary's life. Not enough meat on Ken Kesey or Leary or their philosophies and accomplishments, but a fair sending off of the acid guru.

Old 06-19-19, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Sorcerer’s Apprentice (2010)

I had never heard of this until I stumbled across the DVD recently. Made at the height of the Harry Potter craze I would imagine, with Disney trying to get their share of the cake. Although you can see most of the plot unfolding before it does, and predict the end after the first 3 minutes, it still is watchable entertainment with competent effects. And Monica Bellucci's cleavage is always magical!

Old 06-19-19, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Patrick (2018)

We watched this while visiting my parents last weekend--it's currently on Netflix streaming in US. It's a cute family comedy about an English woman who inherits an ill-behaved pug dog from her grandmother. The lead actress is charming and funny, and so is the dog. It's really more about the woman than the dog. Sort of a coming-of-age movie for a twenty-or-thirty-something single woman.
Old 06-20-19, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Way back in 2003 when movies like this were released in the theater and not on Netflix.
Old 06-21-19, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

2047: Virtual Revolution (2016) — Sure it heavily borrows from Blade Runner and The Matrix, but still found it entertaining and the production values for an indie movie were fairly impressive. The acting was alright from the lead played by Mike Dupod. Far better than what I expected going in. 3.0/5
Old 06-21-19, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw it on HBO and a good watch.
Old 06-21-19, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only reason to watch this movie again

Old 06-21-19, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Escape Plan: The Extractors (2019) — Still not great but a step up from the second entry as it at least because it felt like Stallone was in the lead role. The plot is simplistic which is fine though around the 50-minute mark (give or take), turns into a Rambo movie. Still, I was entertained through the short running time. 3.0/5

Save Yourself (2015)
— Okay indie horror flick that isn't especially memorable but some bizarre moments and the performances from an unknown cast. 2.75/5
Old 06-22-19, 09:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Man who Killed Hitler and then the Bigfoot - Sam Elliott was great as always, but the Bigfoot plotline wasn't very believable, the film dragged a bit and sound was an issue (I couldn't hear around a third of the dialogue). Also, it's kind of a nitpick but I wonder who actually says "the Bigfoot."
Old 06-22-19, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Captain Marvel - Finally saw this and it was fun, but in the end I felt the same as when I saw Endgame--she seems way overpowered.
Old 06-22-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Silent Hill (2006) — First time I had seen this, wasn't a big fan. This go around, liked it a little more and not saying a lot, it is one of the better video game adaptations. 3.25/5
Old 06-22-19, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not as bad as I thought it was going to be with some funny moments and nice to see Don Johnson again.

A lot of sexual humor.

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 06-22-19 at 06:19 PM.
Old 06-22-19, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Hard-Boiled - Not quite as good as I remember it, but still an epic action movie. The opening teahouse scene, the warehouse scene, and the entire hospital sequence are all masterfully shot (albeit, the "good guys" seem to rarely, if ever, have to reload). Woo's use of slo-mo was great and not over used by him, at this point. I also dug the music which, while very dated, seems to fit the movie perfectly.

Barry Lyndon - I don't get it. Sure, it's got great cinematography and production design, but good God I found this movie boring. I just could not get into the story. And at three hours? That's a helluva long slog of a movie. Probably my least favorite Kubrick movie.

Terms of Endearment - Okay, initially I thought I was going to hate this one. I found the music pretty melodramatic and the characters initially seemed annoying to me. However, James L. Brooks slowly won me over. I especially loved the work done by Jeff Daniels, Danny DeVito (in a small but funny role), John Lithgow (he was exceptional in this), and especially Jack Nicholson. I loved Nicholson's character arc, and loved how he ended the movie. His weirdly comic/dramatic relationship with Shirley MacLaine was also superbly well done. Just a great mix of comedy and drama...While I'd rate As Good As It Gets slightly above this one, this is definitely my second favourite movie by James L. Brooks...And I totally get why he's such a good mentor to a lot of young filmmakers (Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson immediately come to mind, but I know he's mentored many others)...And I get why he's constantly praised by everyone involved with The Simpsons in the audio commentaries for each season...His contributions are countless...

Vigilante Force - Starts off almost comically, with the town basically under siege by out-of-control wannabe cowboys/oil workers...It's unintentionally humorous, as if any town in the U.S. had the problems this town had, the National Guard would've been there within days, and the town would've been all over the news...That said, despite the ridiculous plot, this is a fun little movie, and Jan-Michael Vincent was a personal favorite of mine (especially his character in Big Wednesday...and his small role in Buffalo '66), and knowing what happened to him later in life, it was nice seeing him at top form...Hope to watch Defiance sometime this week, which was the other Vincent movie that was released by Kino Lorber at the same time...

Gorky Park - Well...maybe the book was good. This movie? Not so much. It just really dragged, and never really hooked me. I like William Hurt, for the most part, but I didn't think he really brought anything to his character here. Ditto with Lee Marvin. Brian Dennehy was solid, but really wasn't in the movie that much. And the plot eventually gets so convoluted I just lost interest by the third act. The motivations for some of the key characters just seemed stupid to me...Regret purchasing this one, and would advise others against picking up the Blu-Ray...I'd probably avoid watching it even if it were streaming for free (it's that bad)...

Hi, Mom! - Finally watched the last De Palma movie in the Arrow De Niro/De Palma Blu-Ray boxset that was released a while back. Starts off well enough, but drags by the time they get to the "play" later on in the movie. I understand De Palma was really trying to push boundaries with this movie and address the problem of racism, but I just felt it went a little over the top. I did like the "documentary" footage with the African-American reporter accosting random passersby on the street and asking them about racism and about what it is like to "be black"...I could've sworn I read that De Palma had that shot with random people on the street that had no idea that their interactions were being filmed to be part of a movie...Anyway, glad I finally watched it, as I had seen variously clips from it over the years, but De Palma would go on to much bigger and better things...Overall, while I think the boxset is well worth owning, it's really only for die-hard De Palma fans, as the movies themselves are more intellectual exercises as opposed to being compelling narratives...(that said, Greetings is the standout movie in the boxset, as De Niro really gives a great comic performance, but I still think that movie would only appeal to a certain niche of viewers)...

Last edited by Goonies85; 06-22-19 at 10:31 PM. Reason: clarify
Old 06-23-19, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Atlantic City (1980) - Just seen it for the first time ever - wow, amazing little flick. This one needs to be on BD for sure.
Old 06-23-19, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goonies85
Barry Lyndon - I don't get it. Sure, it's got great cinematography and production design, but good God I found this movie boring. I just could not get into the story. And at three hours? That's a helluva long slog of a movie. Probably my least favorite Kubrick movie.
Been a long time since I last saw this one, but pretty much agree.
Old 06-23-19, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

The Hitcher (2007)

Terrible
Old 06-23-19, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Double Impact (1991) — Had some okay moments and decent effects for its time, though never bought JCVD as the meek personality of the one twin... 3.0/5
Old 06-23-19, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was into it in the first half but then it became a bunch of nonsense.

Will Smith played Will Smith in this movie.

I thought Orcs were exclusive to the LOTR universe?
Old 06-23-19, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Boring and no big payoff.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.