Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 05-08-19, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

After the Sunset - Surprisingly decent heist movie starring Brosnan, Hayek, and Harrelson. A very "breezy" film...not too long, doesn't take itself too serious...humorous at times. Loved the interaction between Pierce and Woody. Some nice twists throughout. Glad I finally got around to watching this.

Tower Heist - Okay movie. I thought Casey Affleck was probably the best part of the movie. Eddie Murphy is way too over-the-top (although I'm sure it was written that way). Broderick is pretty bland, and I didn't think Ben Stiller did much with his role as more of the straight guy. Alan Alda was okay, though. Not a movie I care to revisit.

Deja Vu - One of my least favourite Tony Scott movies. I thought this one was a waste of time. None of the actors really stood out (okay, Adam Goldberg was pretty decent)...The plot is just all over the place and I didn't really care to follow along. At least it wasn't edited as frenetically as Tony Scott's worst movies...He still made several good movies in his day, but this just wasn't one of them...
Old 05-08-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Hstrybuff1
Liked that one -- nice departure from Chaplin's earlier films.

Old 05-08-19, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Hstrybuff1

Mulholland Dr. (2001)

A beautiful woman seemingly suffering from amnesia after a car accident is seemingly aided in discovering her identity by a bubbly aspiring actress. An engaging David Lynch film that held my complete attention through to the end. Wondered about a few subplots that went nowhere but apparently that was due to the film having been originally conceived as a pilot for a TV series.
You should watch an analysis of the film, just about everything is there for a reason.
Old 05-08-19, 03:09 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,207 Likes on 855 Posts

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Of all the MCU flicks I've seen (which is not all of them), this is probably the best one so far. Glad I finally watched it.
Old 05-08-19, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 754 Likes on 616 Posts

Not that bad and a story worth telling.

Swank and Carter gave great performances.
Old 05-08-19, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

Vox Lux. It's awful.
Old 05-09-19, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am in the minority but I liked this movie maybe after the 2nd or 3rd viewing and maybe the special effects might be iffy the story kept me entertained.

I don;t like Walhlberg and he was not awful though I wonder how it would have turned out if Ryan Gosling played that part who probably would have killed in that role.
Old 05-10-19, 02:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 05-10-19, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jeff Daniels should have stayed away from this movie

Old 05-11-19, 04:46 PM

Old 05-11-19, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was not excited about this and thought I was going to hate it but I liked it.

I liked two movies with Wahlberg in them this week. What is wrong with me
Old 05-11-19, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Blown Away (1994) — Little over the top with some of the slow motion scenes but still an entertaining suspense-action-thriller with a solid performance from Jeff Bridges and Tommy Lee Jones clearly preparing for his wacky role in Batman Forever as Two-Face. Still had fun and the final explosion was breathtaking. 3.75/5
Old 05-12-19, 03:07 PM

louis malle's murmur of the heart (1971)

Old 05-12-19, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not a big Efron fan but he was good in this.
Old 05-12-19, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It had some laughs but not on the level of Step Brothers
Old 05-12-19, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Two faces of Dr Jekyll (1960)

Although it's hard for me to say this, this was not particularly good Hammer Film. Directed by Terence Fisher (of Curse of Frankenstein fame and many other excellent Hammer horror films) with the well-known story changed by having Mr Hyde a good-looking libertine playboy instead of a hideous deformed man. The actor Paul Massie wasn't very charismatic nor good in the role of Jekyll. The best bits were Christopher Lee as the carefree friend and Dawn Addams as Jekyll's wife and Lee's mistress.
Old 05-12-19, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974)

Much better - albeit bizarre and camp - Hammer film from the 70s. Co-production between the British co and the Hong Kong legendary company Shaw Brothers. So horror meets kung fu! Peter Cushing seems a bit on automatic mode and Julie Ege ("a pair of big tits with a swedish accent" as one critic called her!) isn't convincing but the strange hopping living dead and awful masks of the said vampires make it a fun watch.
Old 05-12-19, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Returner (2002)

Not too good japanese action film with some scifi elements. Wants to be so stylish that it forgets about the story its telling.
Old 05-12-19, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ocean's Twelve (2004)

Never really takes off. Way too complicated and pseudo-clever script that left us uninterested and bored. The only good scene was with Bruce Willis in the hotel and museum when the character Tess (played by Julia Roberts) poses as the real Julia Roberts to try and steal a Fabergé egg. And that's just funny because we know that it's an actress in a film playing herself in real life ... in the film.
Old 05-12-19, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
You should watch an analysis of the film, just about everything is there for a reason.
Thanks. LondonCityGirl's excellent YT video covered the relevance of a couple of Mulholland Dr. subplots that I thought went nowhere.

Also skimmed some of Dr. Alan Shaw's 118 pg. essay -- among other things Dr. Shaw believes the Selwyn character had been sexually abused by her grandfather, and that the Selwyn and Rhodes characters were part-time Hollywood call girls.

Personally I wondered whether Dr. Shaw had ingested some non-prescription drugs before viewing the film. But imo that's part of what makes films like Mulholland Dr. special -- each viewer can apply their own frame of reference in comprehending what appears on screen.
Old 05-12-19, 09:57 PM

Sunset Boulevard (1950)

Billy Wilder classic. A wealthy former silent-film star (Gloria Swanson) determined to return to the silver screen is taken advantage of by a struggling script writer (William Holden). Apparently a story about how Hollywood exploits and discards its stars, I perceive it as a story about a narcissist unwilling to adapt to change. The Swanson character's "Without me there wouldn't be any Paramount Studio" line is telling -- the character had zero comprehension of the contributions of hundreds of others in making her pictures a success.

Trivia: Erich von Stroheim, who played the devoted butler, had been fired as director of 'Queen Kelly' by Swanson 20 years earlier.
Old 05-12-19, 10:10 PM

All About Eve (1950)

Film that beat out Sunset Boulevard for the 1951 Best Picture and won 5 other Oscars. An aspiring actress (Anne Baxter) manipulates her way into the lives of an aging stage star (Bette Davis) and her circle of friends. Nice "what goes around, comes around" ending to the film.

Trivia: Film might have won two more Oscars if Baxter had not lobbied to be nominated for Best Actress, which resulted in Davis and Baxter splitting the vote in that category.
Old 05-12-19, 10:22 PM

Polytechnique (2009)

Denis Villeneuve's B&W dramatization based on survivor accounts of the 1999 mass shooting at Montrèal's École Polytechnique where a nutjob "fighting feminism" killed 14 female engineering students and wounded 14 other women and men before killing himself.
Old 05-13-19, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Continued with the Airport Terminal DVD Pack this weekend.

Airport 75 - 2/5
Not good, bad acting, bad effects and a bad story-line, was excited to see George Kennedy return as Patroni, but he had nothing to do, Heston didn't have much to do either, took 4 years to make a sequel, but it was not worth the wait. Gloria Swanson was in this thing, playing herself, pretty pointless but it was her final role so there's that, Linda Blair played a sick kid And Helen Reddy sung a song as a Nun. Erik Estrada plays a horndog navigator. Myrna Loy was a highlight drinking boilermakers with Norman Fell, Jerry Stiller and Conrad Janis. Massive cast with mostly nothing to do, including Sid Caesar for crying out loud. This made a Ton of Money, back in the day

Airport 77 - 4/5
This more than made up for Airport 75 with a stellar cast and action from the jump. Storyline was rock solid, Jack Lemmon played the captain, with Guts, unlike the guy in Airport 75, Lemmon was the real deal, Darren McGavin is fun in this as well, Jimmy Stewart has a sizable role, but it doesn't stay with you much.. George Kennedy returns as Patroni, but once again he's massively underused, and no Cigar chomping.. oh well. Some 70's faves pop up from the time machine like Lee Grant (super annoying) and Brenda Vaccaro (good fun). Effects were very good and the action was tight, filmed with cooperation of the Navy. I liked this one a lot.

Old 05-13-19, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It must have been Airport 75 I took a girl in high school to on a date. I think I needed to get a ride because I didn't have my license yet.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.