Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 02-04-19, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 584 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

How did Lucas Hedges not get an Oscar nom for this?

Sad stuff like this happened or continue to happen.
Old 02-04-19, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Leviathan: The Story of Hellraiser and Hellbound: Hellraiser II (2012)

Thorough & exhaustive Documentary on the making of the first two Hellraiser films.

I loved all the interviews with the members of Image Animation and their experience creating the effects for each film.
Old 02-05-19, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

The Velvet Buzzsaw thought this was pretty good take on the snobbery of the art world.3/5
Personnel Shopper. I thought this was just OK. 2.5/5
Old 02-05-19, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Last Tango in Paris - 4.5/5

Good film about desperate people trying to connect in the only way they know how that features one of Marlon Brando's greatest and most personal performances.
Old 02-05-19, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Fyre - 1/5

Every time a rich kid gets scammed an angel gets its wings. Except for the Bahamian locals who I feel bad for, fuck everybody in this.
Old 02-05-19, 02:58 PM

Received 796 Likes on 519 Posts

Glass... it left me half empty.

1.5 out of 5
Old 02-05-19, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Paddington 2 (2018)

Finally watched this and the 1st movie after reading how good these films are. Paddington 2 is currently in the rotation on HBO and watched it on HBO GO last night. A very nice feel good family movie. Leaves you with a smile on your face. These movies were never on my radar when they first came out, but now I'm glad I saw them.
Funny, we just watched this yesterday night with the family. On DVD though. Really nice and naive and "feel good' like you said. Walt Disney should do less kids' movies a year but work more on their characters and screenplays to get stuff like this out. Lovely.
Old 02-05-19, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Passengers (2017)

I had heard it was awful but I quite liked it. Nice premisse and a few good ideas. Yes its still a romcom in space but there are nice elements of scifi thrown in. Lawrence Fishburne's 'twists' came in a bit as an obvious script high voltage burst to get out of a rot, and some of the science is dumb but the ship was cool.
Old 02-05-19, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1BM43Y34ML.jpg

Hitch-hiker (1953)

Not the best of film noirs. Not much happening and rather obvious conclusion. But I like the fact that it was directed by one of the first woman directors (Ida Lupino) to crack that all-male dominion.
Two friends pick up a hitcher on the road to Mexico but he turns out to be an escaped serial killer.
Old 02-05-19, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Vidocq (2001)

Could have been better in the hands of a competent director. But Pitof, who had handled special visual effects for Jeunet & Caro (Delicatessen, City of Lost Children, etc.) tried too much to make it bizarre that it turned out farcical instead. Plus the fact that it was shot with HD cams in their infancy (it claims to be the first world-wide film shot on such cameras, but it is contested) make it look like an 80s BBC TV production. If you add almost all CGI sets and the epileptic editing, it gets annoying really fast. I had seen it at the cinema when it came out and it was AWFUL on a big screen. On my TV it was just ordinary ugly!
A 19th century sleuth must succeed in unmasking a serial killer called the Alchemist who wears a mirror mask that is said to suck the souls of his victims before they die.
Old 02-05-19, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Poison Ivy (1992) — Trashy and poorly scripted movie probably only note-worthy for its semi-respectable cast, otherwise rather forgettable. 2.25/5
Poison Ivy 2: Lily (1996)
— Boring entry that has an okay performance from Alyssa Milano but the plot device of finding Ivy's journal was lame (plus, was her name even Ivy???). Also, what a coincidence it was found by another woman whose named is based off of a flower... 1.5/5
Poison Ivy: The New Seduction (1997)
— Cheaply made entry that actually has a terrifying performance by Jaime Pressly but other than a laugh-out-loud line (*paraphasing* Do you even work at Dennys?), it's pretty bland, though they do up the sex scenes. 2.0/5

Will be watching Poison Ivy: The Secret Society tomorrow. Wish me luck.
Old 02-05-19, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did not know this existed but it was on SYFY on demand but with annoying commercial breaks.

Is it safe to say Elle is the more talented Fanning sister once she and Dakota grew up?
Old 02-05-19, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rogue (2007)

Decided to watch a few Aussie films after the polar vortex moved into our region this weekend. Some nice aerial & river footage in Northern Australia but the island scenes were apparently completed in a Melbourne studio. As others have commented on this thread, not a particularly engaging film. 2.5/5
Old 02-05-19, 10:30 PM

Ocean's Deadliest (2007)

Documentary hosted by Steve Irwin and oceanographer Phillippe Cousteau that has some exceptional footage of deadly sea creatures that inhabit the waters off Australia. Irwin was killed during filming when a stingray's barb pierced his heart - tragic loss of a man who lived life to the fullest doing what he loved. 3.5/5

Last edited by Hstrybuff1; 02-05-19 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-05-19, 10:43 PM

The Crocodile Hunter: Collision Course (2002)

Crikey, mate! Steve Irwin and his Oregon-born wife Terri confuse CIA agents trying to recover a satellite data recorder (which has been swallowed by a croc) for poachers. Lame plot and humor that's juvenile at times, but I found myself often laughing out loud at the antics of the Irwins and other characters. 4/5
Old 02-05-19, 11:18 PM

The Earthling (1980)

Re-watch of film that's remained a favorite since I first saw it on VHS many years ago. A young boy (Ricky Shroder) is orphaned when their camper van plunges over a cliff at their remote outback campsite with his parents aboard. A gruff, terminally-ill man (William Holden in his second-last film role) who is trekking to the remote valley of his youth after many years abroad witnesses the accident and, on the journey to the valley where he plans to die, imparts tough life and survival lessons to the boy.

Unfortunately the only DVD available is an Aussie all-world edition that appears to be a full-screen transfer from VHS. Hopefully Criterion or someone else will someday undertake a full restoration before the magnificent scenery and sounds are lost forever. 4.5/5
Old 02-06-19, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Zombi 2 (1979)

While I've seen this film countless times, this was my first time seeing the 4K Restoration from Blue Underground. It's absolutely beautiful.

As for the film, the Plot & Characters are thin but the mayhem is high.
Old 02-06-19, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Poison Ivy: The Secret Society (2008) — Probably what the series should've been from the beginning: unashamed in its trashiness, and while there was some fun moments, beyond the laugh-out-loud sex scenes and soap opera-like style, the ending was beyond stupid with our heroine making the most ridiculous decision to reveal the tape *before* getting out of certain harm's way. Fucking idiot. Thank god this franchise is done. 1.0/5
Old 02-06-19, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A forgettable movie
Old 02-06-19, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69

Passengers (2017)

I had heard it was awful but I quite liked it. Nice premisse and a few good ideas. Yes its still a romcom in space but there are nice elements of scifi thrown in. Lawrence Fishburne's 'twists' came in a bit as an obvious script high voltage burst to get out of a rot, and some of the science is dumb but the ship was cool.
I actually liked this quite a bit but my wife didn't care for it. Over in the Passengers thread someone recommended this rearrange video. I agree with the author, it would have added more suspense.

Old 02-07-19, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I actually liked this quite a bit but my wife didn't care for it. Over in the Passengers thread someone recommended this rearrange video. I agree with the author, it would have added more suspense.

Thanks. Nice little cinema lesson. I used to work on film sets as a camera assistant and every day I had access to the "rushes" (i.e. the stuff we shot the previous day that was sent to the lab during the night and came back digitalized so director and heads of depts could watch the previous day's work) and always wondered what it would be like to copy the stuff and do my own edit of some of the films I worked on. See if I could improve some of the ones that didn't work too well (yeah, right!). I worked on some shoots that had a great script but the director couldn't pull it off, or sometimes the material was there but the editor (and director who has power over the editor) didn't infuse any magic into it. Maybe someone on the set of Passengers had the same wish and we'll see a better version someday.
Old 02-07-19, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002)

I always like this one. I think it was Clooney's first directing effort? Crazy script (by Charlie Kaufman) from a crazy autobiography by deluded TV producer. The last part drags on a bit but the story is just so colorful and preposterous that it makes a great biopic.
Story of Charles Barris, producer of Dating Game, Gong Show and others who claimed he was a hitman for the CIA during the cold war.
Old 02-07-19, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Club Dread (2004)

Rather unfunny film by the Broken Lizard comedy troupe. As opposed to Monty Python, the Lizards are not very good actors and it doesn't help support scenes and characters that are not really funny. A few good jokes but not worth it. SuperTroopers is much better.
A serial killers offs all the crew one by one at a resort.
Old 02-07-19, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sympathy for the Devil (1970)

I had this on my wish list for a long time. Borrowed it from the local library and glad I didn't buy it. It's basically a Godard film with his usual obscure/obvious political diatribes and experimental set ups mixed with the Stones working on the recording of their hit Sympathy for the Devil. The studio part with the group is great (albeit very contemplative and slow) if you like to see the creative process of rock stars, and the Godard bits are Godard bits. If you like him you'll like this if not, you'll go "wtf?". Nice as a document of a period in time (the song + the political fight) but rather forgettable as a film. It was originally called "One + One" referring to the two films in one but they changed it to the name of the song to make it more "Stones" than Godard I would think...
Old 02-07-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Widows (2018) — Really strong, finely acted and superbly directed crime-drama from Steve McQueen, whose direction was unique without being obnoxiously in your face, specifically the opening chase sequence. Viola Davis gives yet another excellent performance along with Colin Farrell, Robert Duvall and Liam Neeson (certain kind of irony I guess given everything going on with him of late). Really enjoyed this flick and can't wait to see what McQueen does next... 4.0/5

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.