Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 01-13-19, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Never Hike Alone (2017)

Crowd-Funded 'Friday The 13th' Fan Film.

Though the film incorporates a small bit of Found Footage (a Blogger self-taping his Hikes), the film plays it fairly straight, which takes away a bit of the fun.
Old 01-13-19, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Three Identical Strangers (2018)

Fascinating Documentary on a set of Triplets. The story has so many surprises that I wasn't even prepared for.

Sleight (2016)

The origin & mythos centered around the Main Character Bo (played by Jacob Latimore) is interesting, as are some of the effects that happen in the film but the script is extremely thin, including the other characters that populate the film.

Leprechaun Returns (2018)

Excited to see that Steven Kostanski (The Void & Manborg) was behind the lens for this. Plot is pretty awful but at least it gives a place for The Leprechaun (played by Linden Porco) to pour on buckets of gore and speak cringe-worthy rhymes.

Old 01-13-19, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Creed (2015)

Not sure why it took me this long to finally view this film. Glad I did. Fantastic directing from Ryan Coogler and great performances throughout.
Old 01-13-19, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Night Comes For Us (2018)

Second-time viewing. Although I still feel there are more caricatures than characters in this film, it's an immensely fun & wild ride that was even better on a repeat viewing.

Assassination Nation (2018)

While I didn't care for the overly-stylized final act, the film's core message is fairly strong with equally strong performances from Odessa Young & Hari Nef.
Old 01-13-19, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Death House (2017)

I'm curious how much of Gunnar Hansen's original script differed from the final product.

Even so, this film was awful. Less money should have been put into the assembling of 'The Expendables of Horror' (many of whom have very brief Cameos) and into the FX work as well as the overall Plot & Direction.

Cold Ground (2017)

Found Footage film that has a few strong elements, especially its sometimes endless & labryinthian landscape. Still, many of the shots of the Main Characters walking, or having on-the-nose conversations about why filming was still taking places after specific events were very distracting.
Old 01-13-19, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Next of Kin (1982)

A bit slow-paced but rife with fantastic visuals and consistent sense of dread.

Wild final act.
Old 01-13-19, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bird Box (2018)

Everything that takes place in present day is fairly engaging. When the film flashes back to flesh out more of the story, it seeps itself into a maddening level of predictability.
Old 01-13-19, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Detonator II: Night Watch
(1995)
— Certainly a C-grade James Bond movie, this sequel actually wasn't half bad. The humor worked and Brosnan seemed a bit looser whereas he seemed a bit too stiff in the first movie. Nothing mind-blowing but kept me entertained for the 90-minute duration. 3.25/5
Old 01-14-19, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Images - Not one of my favorite Robert Altman movies, but it's grown on me the more I've thought about it since viewing it yesterday. Was really impressed by Susannah York's performance, but the really standouts were the tremendous cinematography and the very unusual score. The Irish countryside looked beautiful, and Altman's direction was sublime (his camera placement was nearly perfect throughout the entire movie). Only drawback is that the story takes a little while to get going, and it is a bit difficult to understand all aspects of it...I'd take his 3 Women film over this one, and it's in a similar vein, but with what I would consider a slightly more compelling story...
Old 01-14-19, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonies85
Images - Not one of my favorite Robert Altman movies, but it's grown on me the more I've thought about it since viewing it yesterday. Was really impressed by Susannah York's performance, but the really standouts were the tremendous cinematography and the very unusual score. The Irish countryside looked beautiful, and Altman's direction was sublime (his camera placement was nearly perfect throughout the entire movie). Only drawback is that the story takes a little while to get going, and it is a bit difficult to understand all aspects of it...I'd take his 3 Women film over this one, and it's in a similar vein, but with what I would consider a slightly more compelling story...
I agree
Old 01-14-19, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

I disagree. 3 Women is interesting and offbeat, but nowhere near as compelling as Images.
Old 01-15-19, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Three Identical Strangers (2018)

Fascinating Documentary on a set of Triplets. The story has so many surprises that I wasn't even prepared for.
was pleasantly surprised by this movie...great storyline and execution
Old 01-15-19, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

I watched Pledge (2018), a serviceable but slight and mostly predictable horror-thriller about three nerdy wanna-be frat boys who are invited to a party they believe will open doors to social acceptance and all kinds of debauchery. Instead they are subjected to a hazing that won't end well. Worth a look on a slow night, but nothing more. The only novel aspect was the surviving character. 5.5/10
Old 01-15-19, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

Where Fear grows
Old 01-15-19, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A shame Kietel did not get a Oscar nom for this 1992 performance. That 1992 best actors nominees list was loaded with Pacino (Scent of A Woman), Denzel (Malcolm X), Robert Downey Jr (Chaplin), Eastwood (Unforgiven), and Stephen Rea (Crying Game).

Maybe they could have added another nominee or replaced Rea with Kietel.

This is me after every 49ers loss in the NFC Championship.

Old 01-16-19, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Deep End (1970)

Can't say I was taken by this coming of age british film by Polish scriptwriter turned director Jerzy Skolimoski (Polanski's first film: Knife in the Water). The main character is rather annoying and the leading female character is also confused in her actions and sentiments. Had heard much good said about it but not impressed.
A prude young man falls for his older co-worker in the public bath where they work and gets jealous of her 'friends' and what she does with them to turn a little extra money. His obsession will have dire results.
Old 01-16-19, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the artwork above though wish they showed more of the girl

Jonah Hill was a blimp back in 2010 and glad he lost the weight
Old 01-16-19, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Midnight Express (1978)

Hadn't seen this in decades. Still very gripping and dark and depressing. Although much has been said about Oliver Stone's screenplay (which won an Oscar) and its false biased depiction of Turkish people in general, its still a bloody well-made film. Awesome performance by John Hurt (aren't they always!) and surprising one from unknown (and sadly departed at a young age) Brad Davis. Exciting from start to finish. Whatever happened to Alan Parker? He hasn't directed a film since 2003 I think.
In 1970, a young American gets caught in Turkey trying to 'export' piles of haschich he has stuck to his body. His 3 years of hellish prison are commuted into thirty and he starts going mad. He must find a way to get out...
Old 01-16-19, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dragon Heat (2005)

Worst fiilm I have seen in a long time. Awful script and direction and acting. They tried to look cool but its a mess cliches and annoying style.
A group of young Interpol cops will go after a drug lord that has been kidnapped to try and bring him back to justice.
Old 01-16-19, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Last American Hero (1973)

Not especially inventive nor well-made story of southern booze-runner who will try his hand at Nascar driving. Jeff Bridges was quite good as the young cocky upstart but the film wasn't particularly appealing for me. Maybe if I had any love for motor cars and racing but since I have none, couldn't bother to be interested. Valerie Perrine had a certain something though...
Old 01-16-19, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hard Core Logo (1996)

Nice mockumentary by canadian director Bruce MacDonald about punk-rock group that does a comeback tour of 5-6 cities and self-destroys again all the while. Although its always easy to compare with This Is Spinal Tap when it comes to rock mockumentaries, this one still holds its own. Maybe because they went less for the comic effect than for the drama and the despair. Worth a check.
Old 01-16-19, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Karakara (2012)

NOt particularly successful attemp by québécois filmmaker Claude Gagnon at a philosophical movie of aging man who goes to Japan to find himself after the death of a good friend. Although his trip is hampered by a young japanese woman who ran away from her abusive husband and uses him as a life buoey, he'll finally find a different peace of mind through the ordeals brought on by this invasive woman. Watchable but nowhere as nice as the similarly-themed german film by Doris Dorrie: Cherry Blossoms.

Old 01-16-19, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Suicide Song (2007)

Another pretty bad film, but nowhere as terrible as Dragon Heat. This time a supposedly evil song will make people kill themselves every time they hear it. A group of journalists will look into that story while protecting a group of young schoolgirls (what is it with Japanese movies and mangas and their obsession with schoolgirls? Pretty unhealthy if you ask me!) who might be plagued by this cursed song. Confusing characters and awful subtitles.
Old 01-16-19, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Venom (2018)

Saw this at the cinema back when it came out. Pretty lame story and character. I am definitely not a spiderman fan nor of his universe. Although its Marvel's most popular character I find him boring (a bit like Superman for DC). NOt much redemption here.
Old 01-16-19, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Suspiria
(2018)
— Still not sure what to think of it. On the one hand, loved the bizarre finale but on the other, had absolutely zero emotional connection with any of these characters and knowing it was
Spoiler:
Tilda Swinton under the make-up playing the old man
was rather distracting and odd. I don't know. I kind of appreciated the original for being a bit more simplistic (by comparison) though there are some nice visuals here as well. 3.5/5

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.