Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 10-22-18, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Originally Posted by Goonies85
Yes, it's a great book. But you need to watch/purchase Under the Influence. It's ten times better than this movie. One of the last movies directed by Ted Demme before he passed. Highly recommended. It's a three-parter. I think it was made for IFC. You need to check it out. While I love this movie, Under the Influence was a thousand times better...
Thanks for the tip. I'"ll definitely look it up.
Old 10-22-18, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Sleeper. Finally watched this Woody Allen movie, and am not a fan. I'm not a die-hard Woody Allen fan, but there's probably five or six movies of his that I very much enjoy. This one is not one of them. Definitely one of his most slapstick movies, and I don't think Woody is the best when it comes to physical comedy. Diane Keaton was okay. I maybe chuckled once during this movie. The only thing that really impressed me was the futuristic homes and cars and whatnot. They really did a good job with what must've been a limited budget. Nevertheless, I'd advise most people skip this one...
Old 10-22-18, 01:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 959 Likes on 801 Posts

Halloween (2018)...what a hell of a good movie. stuck with the simple old school formula and DGG made it work so well. JLC was outstanding. even though it seemed familiar, it was fresh at the same time. the music cues were phenomenal and really set a tense atmosphere from the beginning. loved how he ended it. not open, yet who the hell knows. simple effects, no CGI, this was a damn fine, no bells or whistles horror movie.

ps) thanks to the fucking trailers, i know how Happy Death Day ended because they showed the trailer for sequel. in what world would a studio do that? spoil an entire movie in a trailer for it's sequel...

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-22-18 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-22-18, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anomalisa (2016)

I definitely have a 'penchant' for bizarre filmakers that try different things and don't mind straying from the path of straightforward story telling. Here, Charlie Kaufman (Being John Malkovich) does it again with a strange animated tale of mid-life crisis mixed with a not-so-real environment. Not for all tastes for sure but worth it for the curious adventurous cinevores.
Old 10-22-18, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Desperate Hours (1955)

Nowadays William Wyler, like Robert Wise, is often disregarded in the lists of great filmakers of past Hollywood because he directed such various films. True he didn't have too much of a personal style like Welles or Capra or Wilder but he was a more than competent craftsman and certainly could spin a tale and maintain a suspense.
Here Bogey plays the leader of a trio of convicts who crash into a suburban house and hold the family hostage. Frederick March plays the father who tries to save his family and get rid of the villains.
Brilliant. My teenager who was in the room playing video games on his Ipod while I was watching it even put down his device after a while to watch. He just kept glancing back and forth from his game to the TV but decided the film was more captivating!

Last edited by rogerrobert69; 10-22-18 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-22-18, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Poltergeist 2 (1986)

Never a fan of the first one, can't say I was awestruck by this. Only good bit was the old man/beast but he had a very small role.
Old 10-22-18, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Postal (2007)

I don't mind over the top humor but senseless unending violence gets boring after a while. It started out rather well (and crude) but rapidly lost momentum and degenerated into a pseudo-comical gore fest. I guess you can only squeeze out so much 'juice' out of video games!!!
Old 10-22-18, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,745 Likes on 2,687 Posts

Rented the Unrated version of Jade from Vudu. It's about 15 minutes longer than the regular version. The regular version you can watch for free on Amazon Prime.

Anyways, I've never seen the Unrated version and it was mostly some extended shots of the sex scenes. Nothing too graphic.

Overall, it was a pretty dull movie considering the cast and creative team behind it. Although Linda Fiorentino at the time was quite sexy, the movie itself was neither sexy nor suspenseful.
Old 10-23-18, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Halloween (2018)...what a hell of a good movie. stuck with the simple old school formula and DGG made it work so well. JLC was outstanding. even though it seemed familiar, it was fresh at the same time. the music cues were phenomenal and really set a tense atmosphere from the beginning. loved how he ended it. not open, yet who the hell knows. simple effects, no CGI, this was a damn fine, no bells or whistles horror movie.

ps) thanks to the fucking trailers, i know how Happy Death Day ended because they showed the trailer for sequel. in what world would a studio do that? spoil an entire movie in a trailer for it's sequel...
I can't wait to watch the new Halloween, as I'm a giant David Gordon Green fan.

And don't worry about Happy Death Day. That movie sucked.
Old 10-23-18, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69

Poltergeist 2 (1986)

Never a fan of the first one, can't say I was awestruck by this. Only good bit was the old man/beast but he had a very small role.
We agree. I also never much cared for Poltergeist, aside from the opening 20 minutes or so. I loved the opening but it just went downhill from there...I still think Craig Nelson was good, and I liked the suburban setting...But the movie just never came together...Never bothered with the sequels...
Old 10-23-18, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the tip. I'"ll definitely look it up.
You will NOT be disappointed. I think I watched it in like 2003 or something like that, and it showed me sooooo many movies that I needed to watch. The best thing is, since it was released, so many of the movies shown in it were eventually released on DVD or Blu-Ray. It really, really expanded my movie-watching experience...So many amazing clips and great interviews...Just remember that it's three parts, cause the first time I watched it the credits started after about an hour and I was like, "what the hell?", but then the second part started and I was good. It's honestly the best documentary I've ever seen regarding the so-called "Golden Age of cinema" which was the '70s...And they interviewed the key actors/writers/directors...I still watch it every few years and it's always compelling...You will really enjoy it...
Old 10-23-18, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Coffy. Damn good blaxploitation movie, and dammit Pam Grier was a hottie back in the day (she still kinda is). Just a great movie. And Sid Haig is also in it (not sure why, but he shows up in tons of blaxploitation movies). This one really holds up. Very violent at times. I'm a big fan of this one. The Olive Films Blu-Ray is pretty good, although the transfer is a little "iffy" at times...
Old 10-23-18, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A Most Violent Year (2015)

Rather ordinary suspense/drama about an immigrant in NY trying to make his oil business grow without giving in to the dirty, vilent, illegal practices of his competitors. Although his Gandhi-like non-violence approach his commendable, it doesn't make for a great subject.
Gotta agree with you on this one. I love Oscar Isaac, but this one was not very good. The filmmaker did a much better job with Margin Call and All Is Lost...This one was pretty boring...I still look forward to whatever J.C. Chandor does next...
Old 10-23-18, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lost City of Z (2016)

Another one that misses the mark. This time, true story of early 20th century British explorer who believed there was a city or ancient civilisation in 'savage' land Amazonia forest. The downer ending and lack of warmth in the direction make it hard to get into the film. Much better films about explorers are 'Mountains of the Moon' and the BBC mini-series 'Shackleton' with Kenneth Branagh in the lead.
I actually thought this one was okay. Gray does a lot of movies, and I thought this one was almost like a "Herzog" movie. I still think Two Lovers is the best thing he's ever done...but this one was okay...
Old 10-23-18, 04:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jaws 2 (1978)

Jaws 3 (1983)

A clear case of sequels ruining the experience! No 2 was boring and No 3 was ridiculous. I read that it was initially pitched as a parody and they had a working script and all but Spielberg threatened to leave Universal if they made it funny and the studio canned the spoof version to come up with a serious in your face 3D thriller.
Gotta say, I love Jaws 2. I think that movie is fantastic, as far as sequels go. I loved the interaction between all the teens that were sailing and whatnot, and I'll always love Keith Gordon. Jaws 3D wasn't even that bad...It was not great, but it was okay. If you want to see a horrible "Jaws" movie, watch Jaws: The Revenge. Now that movie sucked. But it did have Mario Van Peeples, who I like...But God, that movie sucked...Apparently it was mainly made because the lead actress was dating/married to the head of the studio (although it does blow my mind that Michael Caine missed the Oscars for getting nominated for Hannah and Her Sisters because he was busy filming this...that must've sucked...) ...

Last edited by Goonies85; 10-23-18 at 04:33 AM. Reason: added thoughts
Old 10-23-18, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hellraiser (1987)

I know its a classic for some but I could never gather any interest in it, even after two screenings. Bad acting, bad direction, common script, cheapish looking 'baddies' and low-budget effects just don't make it for me. I just read on wiki that they are up to 9 sequels and still counting! I have 2 and 3 but I think I'll give them a pass...
Really couldn't stand the first one. Sat through the second one and still didn't like it. I, too, own the third one but it's gonna be a while till I watch that one. The only Clive Barker movie I feel is decent is Nightbreed...I didn't even really care for The Lord of Illusions...And I really only like Nightbreed because I think a bunch of it was filmed in Alberta, so I recognize some of the scenery...His writing/books are great, but I don't think they translate that good to movies...
Old 10-23-18, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

McCabe & Mrs Miller (1971)

Decent Altman film set up north in the frontier development period (19th century) when towns rose in the middle of nowhere as decided by a few settlers. Here, a willing but small thinking businessman (Warren Beatty) sets up a whore house in a small growing village with the help of a knowledgeable prostitute (Julie Christie). But land developers have other plans for the town...

I liked the slow rhythm and the unclear relation between the two leads. Also the not so happy ending...
This is one of the best movies ever made, and the Criterion Blu-Ray is fantastic. If you liked this one, you need to watch The Long Goodbye, which is one of my favorite movies ever. Elliot Gould is terrific in it. It's tough to rank Altman movies, because he made so many great ones. But these two are some of the best movies ever. And then you have to add Nashville, Short Cuts, The Player, A Wedding, Thieves Like Us...He definitely made some duds, but he also made some of the best movies ever...He's missed...

All things considered, one of the movies of his I really don't like is MASH, which is almost sacriligeous...Can't really say why, but I don't really like that movie...But dammit I love Brewster McCloud...to each his own...And I also love That Cold Day in the Park...Altman was a genius...

Last edited by Goonies85; 10-23-18 at 05:15 AM. Reason: added thoughts
Old 10-23-18, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri...amazing. Deftly written. Brilliantly acted. Superior directing. Dark, sad, with slight bursts of comedic boldness. Unexpected. Surprising. Tragic. Powerful. Mesmerizing. A real achievement. Just excellent in every way. Somewhat hopeful, maybe.

This WILL win Best Picture. I guarantee. Sam Rockwell will win Supporting Actor. Maybe another for McDormand. Harrelson great as well.

Loved this movie. I think he makes awesome movies...A lot of people throw shit at Seven Psychopaths, but I think they just need to watch it a couple more times. The first time I watched it, I was like, okay, this is a pretty good movie. The second time, I was like, damn, this is a good movie. The third time? F**k, this is a great movie. It's very "meta"...Love that movie...And "Three Billboards" is fantastic...
Old 10-23-18, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One False Move...nice Bill Paxton starrer. Great little crime thriller. Much more brutal than I expected. Would have liked the final act not wrap so quickly, but well done, good movie.
Classic. I love that movie. I really miss Bill Paxton...He was great in this gem...
Old 10-23-18, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not much on last night so I popped in a disc which is unusual for me during the week. Hadn't seen this in quite some time.

Old 10-23-18, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 760 Likes on 620 Posts

It was ok. Jessica Rothe is nice eye candy.
Old 10-24-18, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts

Halloween (2018)

Safe & serviceable addition to the franchise.

Doesn't have anything new or different to say but it's a quick 105-minutes.
Old 10-24-18, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts

The Godfather (1972)

Never get tired of watching this film.
Old 10-24-18, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agree though you can't watch it all in one sitting.

It is more fun to watch in Winter.

Saw this on Showtime but a messed up ending.
Old 10-25-18, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is there a separate thread for this?

I can't find it

Dinklage should get a Emmy nomination. I bet he put some of his real life experiences into this role.

Funny and sad.

Jaime Dornan's best work and he acquitted himself for those bad 50 shades movies.

Andy Garcia was terrible and miscast as Ricardo Montalban.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.