Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 10-19-18, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

To Hell and Back: The Kane Hodder Story (2017)

Oddly enough, I felt myself wanting more personal stories of Kane Hodder's non-Horror life, which ends up being a bit more engaging than all the bits dedicated to his Fandom or depictions of Horror Characters.
Old 10-19-18, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Boots On The Ground (2017)

The Found Footage style of this film generates some fantastic moments of tension, mostly due to a fantastic (and labyrinthian) set.

The film is quite muddled out that, topped off with convenient flickering light sources, that get immensely grating over the film's run time.
Old 10-19-18, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Night Comes For Us (2018)

A film light on Plot but ridiculously high on menace & gore.

The characters here have such great looks that I wish more time was devoted to the development of them.

Even so, Timo Tjanjanto is still an exciting Director to watch and continues to find different ways to dispose of people on-screen.
Old 10-19-18, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

Where the Boys Are (1984)

Currently available on Amazon Prime video. Cheesy as hell, but I kind of liked it. Nice to see some gorgeous looking 80's girls. Lisa Hartman was a hottie back then.

It's basically your typical 80's Spring break comedy.
Old 10-19-18, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 584 Posts

Justin Lin got half of the Fast and Furious cast for this.
Old 10-20-18, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rift (Rökkur) (2017)

The Cinematography (and accompanying set pieces) are gorgeous.

Two leads are solid but the film rarely answers any of the questions that it deems important throughout the 111-minute run-time.

Doesn't help that the conversations in the film become repetitive quickly.
Old 10-20-18, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cat Sick Blues (2016)

If the Director's goal was to create a film that was odd, nasty and misogynistic, he succeeded.
Old 10-20-18, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

House on Haunted Hill (1999) — Decent enough supernatural horror film... until the really stupid finale made worse by some laughable, even by late 90s standards, CGI effects, not to mention "ghost Kattan". 2.5/5
Old 10-20-18, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 584 Posts

It held my interest until Chris Pine showed up and it became boring and pointless.
Old 10-21-18, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Game Night (2018)

Second time watching this film. Definitely as enjoyable as the first.

Bateman & McAdams are great here.
Old 10-21-18, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Helter Skelter. Love the book. Have read it several times. But this TV Movie really drags, in my mind. Maybe today they could do it justice, but when it was made (1976), they really couldn't show a lot of what happened, which took away from it. And at 3-hours long (I know it was originally shown as a two-parter, over two consecutive nights), it's way too long. It's interesting to watch once, but I wouldn't recommend buying the DVD...

Dante's Peak. Love this movie. One of my absolute favorite disaster movies...Pierce Brosnan is great, as is Linda Hamilton...The effects still hold up today...I really like this movie...Soooooo much better than the other disaster movie it was competing against the summer it was released (Volcano)...It actually does a great job with the characters, whereas Volcano was just a stupid, stupid movie in which you didn't give a s**t who lived or who died...

The Fog. Classic John Carpenter. I probably watch this one a half dozen times a year and it never gets old. Just a perfect movie. Love the setting. Love the soundtrack (I even purchased the vinyl for like $150 and it's awesome)...Adrienne Barbeau is marvellous...plus, Jamie-Lee, Tom Atkins, etc...Fantastic movie...

Smashed. Great movie about a girl with a drinking problem. Never gets overly sentimental...And Nick Offerman is really great in this...As is Aaron Paul...Just a very touching movie...
Old 10-21-18, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

It held my interest until Chris Pine showed up and it became boring and pointless.
To each his own, but I loved this movie. I thought it was great. One of the better "apocalyptic" movies I've watched...
Old 10-21-18, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Game Night (2018)

Second time watching this film. Definitely as enjoyable as the first.

Bateman & McAdams are great here.
Don't know why, but aside from their neighbour, I really did NOT enjoy this movie. I remember watching it the same day I watched Tag (which I watched first), but I remember I couldn't stand either of those movies, although Game Night was much better than Tag...Maybe my expectations were too high, as I had heard how great Game Night was, but I just couldn't stand either...If there's a Jason Bateman comedy I like, it would have to be Office Christmas Party...Even though that movie still wasn't THAT good, I still prefer it over Game Night...But I seem to be in the minority because most of my friends loved that movie...Oh well...
Old 10-21-18, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
A Field In England (2013)

The first 25-minutes of this film were a bit sluggish for me but the final hour was fantastic.

Great performances from Reece Shearsmith & Michael Smiley
Loved that movie, but you are right, the first part of the movie really dragged...It's too bad he followed it up with that "shoot'em up" in the warehouse movie (whatever the hell it was called)...I still like Ben Wheatley...Just hope he goes back to his roots...That other movie he did, Kill List was phenomenal...As was Downton Terrace...
Old 10-21-18, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69

Marlene May Marcy Martha (2012)

Nice slow psychological drama about a young woman who runs away from a commune she lived in and where she was under the influence of a dominating leader. She ends up at her sister's summer house and tries to 'deprogram' herself from the pernicious teachings of the guru. Well acted by Olsen.
Great movie. Loved this one, and really felt it was Elizabeth Olsen's "coming out" party. This is the one where she really proved what a great actress she can be. A very disturbing movie. And an awesome one.
Old 10-21-18, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69

Easy Riders, Raging Bulls: How the sex, drugs & Rock'n'roll generation saved Hollywood (2003)

Awesome documentary about early 70s Hollywood when a bunch of young film students and lovers of European author-cinema (Scorsese, Spielberg, Lucas. Milius, etc.) shook the foundations of the studio system for a few years ... only to become the new masters of that hated corporate-run monster.

Lots of great anecdotes and insightful comments by a lot of the people who were there at the time. I love Roger Corman's comment at the end about when Jaws and Star Wars came out. Something along the lines: "we knew then that B-movies had come through the big door with big money and that was the end of something"

Based on a supposedly excellent book.
Yes, it's a great book. But you need to watch/purchase Under the Influence. It's ten times better than this movie. One of the last movies directed by Ted Demme before he passed. Highly recommended. It's a three-parter. I think it was made for IFC. You need to check it out. While I love this movie, Under the Influence was a thousand times better...
Old 10-21-18, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not a huge Amy Schumer fan but this one was OK. A lot better than Snatched.

Very fun entry in the MCU even though the story is kind of like Indiana Jones. Constant chasing and stealing back the prize only to have some really simple ending where none of it mattered. Still thoroughly enjoyable.

Old 10-21-18, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Home (2016)

While it's missing a little backstory, the film is more effective in its 8-minute run-time than most Feature Films.
Old 10-21-18, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He Took His Skin Off For Me (2014)

Loved this Short Film. Thematically strong and filled with (memorable) Practical FX work.
Old 10-21-18, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

House Shark (2017)

If you've seen any of Ron Bonk's films previous to this one, you'll know what to expect.

While it does have humorous moments, it overstays its welcome long before the 111-minute run-time is through.
Old 10-21-18, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pengabdi Setan (Pengabdi Setan) (2017)

Remake of 1980 Indonesian Horror film.

While the film's originality & final act are a bit suspect, I couldn't deny how effective this film was.

Cinematography, Soundtrack, Sound Design and Performances were fantastic, which helped create one of the creepiest films I've seen in years.

It was released in 2017 in Indonesia but has started making the Film Festival Circuits in 2018. Definitely will make my End-of-Year List.
Old 10-22-18, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Malice. Had seen sporadic parts of this on TV over the years, but never had the chance to sit down and watch it in full until now. What can I say? It's a great early '90s thriller, featuring great performances by Alec Baldwin, Nicole Kidman, and Bill Pullman (George C. Scott and Peter Gallagher are also great, in smaller roles...And Tobin Bell was just as creepy back then as he is now). While the plot does become somewhat predictable, and most people will see some of the twists coming a mile away, but the writing (by Aaron Sorkin and Scott Frank) and direction (by Harold Becker) are so effective that you really don't mind. It's just a joy to watch such a mature, well-made thriller. Love the settings, too, especially the house that appears near the end of the film. By a lesser director, this movie probably would've come across as melodramatic, but Becker manages to hold it all together...A pleasant surprise, and the Kino Lorber disc looks pretty great...
Old 10-22-18, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spies Like Us. Bad John Landis movie starring Chevy Chase and Dan Aykroyd. Watched the Blu-Ray that is a double-feature with the vastly superior Funny Farm, which is my second favorite Chase movie after Fletch. This one was just a horrible parody "spy movie" that hardly has any laughs. Chase's role was originally meant for John Belushi and it shows. Some filmmakers make small cameos, as per usual when it comes to Landis movies. But really, there's no reason to watch this. I will say that I thought the image on the Blu-Ray looked pretty decent (at least, way better than the DVD looked like; I know the reviewer on this site said the image was awful but it's really not that bad).
Old 10-22-18, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The Commuter - Liam Neeson.. watched on the Epix App ... Terrible - D+
Old 10-22-18, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 'Burbs. Another one where I've seen many of the parts on TV at one time or another, but never actually sat down and watched it beginning to end until now. I'm pretty hit-or-miss with Joe Dante films, and this one I felt was a bit of a miss. I like the late '80s/early '90s atmosphere and setting, but I didn't care for a lot of the humour. In my mind, the best part of the movie was Bruce Dern and his constant insults hurled towards Corey Feldman. He was a blast. Carrie Fisher was solid, albeit she didn't have a lot to do. Hanks was okay. Ducummon was funny. I just struggled to maintain interest in the movie. I prefer Dante's Gremlins and The Howling over this one...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.