Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 08-23-18, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Sicario (2016)

Heard much about this, directed by local boy Denis Villeneuve, so had to check it out. Pretty well-made, with interesting visuals and characters, but way too violent for me. I liked the bit where the 'good guys' are not necessarily that good. Untypical for Hollywood.
Old 08-23-18, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sister Street Fighter (1976)

Brainless fun, with no script whatsoever - a girl must fight a whole bunch of vilains to free her kidnapped brother - but awesomely funny and silly baddies with each his or her own costume and style. Marvel could certainly resurrect a few of those!
Old 08-23-18, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fleuve Noir (2018)

Good if unoriginal french polar (thriller) about a drunk - and smelly! - detective who must find a young teenager who has disapeared. The prime suspect being one of his bizarre neighbour who was also one of his teachers at school and who might have pedophiliac tendencies.
Nice cast and well structured story with wicked twisted ending.
Old 08-23-18, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 788 Likes on 640 Posts

You won't miss anything if you don't watch this movie though it is rare you see a movie set in Boston with an African American cast.
Old 08-23-18, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

Upgrade (2018) — Fun little B-movie sci-fi horror from Saw writer Leigh Whannell featuring a great performance by Logan Marshall-Green (where has he been hiding? Guess Tom Hardy was stealing all of his roles ) and a nice little (dark) twist at the end. 4.0/5
Old 08-23-18, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,896 Likes on 2,782 Posts

The Joy Luck Club (1993)

Watched a new 4K print of it at the 25th anniversary reunion/celebration in Los Angeles last night. Most of the key cast and crew had a Q&A panel prior it.

Disney asked Wayne Wang, the director, to oversee the remastering of this new print. Not sure if this will be released commercially or not.

Not a movie I can watch all the time, but still just as compelling as when I first saw it when I was in college in the early 90's.
Old 08-24-18, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad Churchill did not listen to all those pussies in the UK government telling him to negotiate a peace settlement with Hitler.

I forgot Oldman was playing the role and he deserved the Oscar.
Old 08-24-18, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was alright but kind of slow until the fireman took a shit in Howard E. Rollins car and then it got interesting.

Probably the first James Cagney movie I have ever seen.

Surprised this got a PG rating with the gratuitous topless scene with Elizabeth McGovern.

Samuel L Jackson is in this too after I saw him listed in the closing credits.
Old 08-24-18, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 183 Posts

The Hunt for the Red October (1990) — Seen this movie a few times over the years and still a decent political-thriller with some suspenseful scenes and Alec Baldwin was good in the role though Connery's character had more depth than Jack Ryan, yet can't say it's anything all that memorable. 3.5/5

Patriot Games (1992) — Harrison Ford taking over the role after Baldwin had to pass due to scheduling conflicts, this entry was, like the last, had some good scenes and never a bad thing having Sean Bean as a villain, and yet Ford being an analyst was difficult to buy especially at the end. 3.5/5
Old 08-24-18, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 316 Posts

In The Mouth of Madness (1994)

It's been a long while since I re-watched this film.

Love it. Lovecraftian through and through.
Old 08-24-18, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Meg (2018)

Loved that nutty final act but the film felt way too slow & talky.
Old 08-24-18, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dead Night (2018)

Way too many ideas crammed into one Horror film and not a single one done well.

I remember a few years ago when I sat on a Q&A with Barbara Crampton, she was pushing this film (back when it was called Applecart). Read up on what happened to it since then and after a lot of negative reviews from Fantastic Fest, the film was re-edited and then re-titled.
Old 08-24-18, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Godzilla: City On The Edge of Battle (2018)

Oddly enough, I enjoyed this a bit more than Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters, even though it isn't Kaiju-heavy. Pacing was a bit better.
Old 08-25-18, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Incident In A Ghostland (2018)

Even though it plays off common Horror Genre Tropes, Pascal Laugier's film might one of the most exhausting cinematic experiences I've had to sit through this year.
Old 08-25-18, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I watched The Beyond on Netflix Thursday night. The synopsis is misleading; it’s actual thoughtful science fiction told in a faux-documentary style. I really enjoyed it, especially for something I’d never even heard of until Netflix recommended it to me in an email.
Old 08-25-18, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Road Movie (2016)

Made up completely of footage from Russian Dash Cams.

Lots of car accidents and some interesting moments that I wish I knew were in context.
Old 08-25-18, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ruin Me (2017)

Tonally all over the place.

As far as Meta-Slasher films go, The Final Girls & Behind The Mask: The Rise & Fall of Leslie Vernon do it better than what is on display here.
Old 08-25-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Timeline (2003)

Someone here has mentionned this as a favorite yearly rewatch so I thought I'd give it another go. Especially since it was filmed around Montréal and I have friends who'd worked on it. Can't say I was thrilled nor impressed on second viewing. Shallow characters and story with improbable fight scenes between nerdy archeologists and medieval army veterans (guess who wins?). Funny too to see local boreal forest and landscape posing as french countryside which is totally different!
Old 08-25-18, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Insomnia (2002)

Although Nolan is a talented craftsman, I did prefer the original norwegian one. It felt more like a depressing psychological drama. Here all the added material feels more hollywoodian and actionish. Still worth watching though.
Old 08-25-18, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Le Diable et les 10 commandements (1962)

VERY average 60s french comedy with a series of sketches about the 10 commandments. Some bits had me smiling but no heartfelt laughs. Mildly entertaining. A few big stars of the era like Alain Delon, Michel Simon, Lino Ventura, Charles Aznavour, Louis deFunès and Fernandel
Old 08-25-18, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mission Impossible: Fallout (2018)

I know a lot of people liked this but to me it was just too improbable and I lost interest after a while. The helicopter scene at the end is so ridiculous I started laughing in the cinema. I don't mind 'suspension of disbelief' but here, they just take me for an idiot and that irritates me.
Old 08-25-18, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Priest (2011)

This could have been excellent, but it lacks a little something. Still, I like the aesthetics and the idea of an all powerful religion. Which, to be frank is pretty much what we have in this world (all-powerful religionS though) in this day and age. I remember reading the results of a (dodgy) survey done in the USA a few years ago evaluating who people would LEAST vote for to be their president. Voters had choices of 'athypical' candidates like 'muslim', 'gay', 'transgender', 'black', 'handicapped', etc. but 'atheist' won the poll!
Old 08-25-18, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation (2015)

Such a fun film. Not sure why it took me so long to finally watch it.
Old 08-26-18, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Horrible Bosses. Way better than I thought it would be. This is a solid comedy. Jason Sudekis, as per usual, really steals the movie, but Colin Farrell and Jason Bateman are also quite good (as is Kevin Spacey, god forbid). I was actually surprised that I liked Jennifer Aniston in this, as I've pretty much hated everything she's ever done. This made me actually appreciate her. I don't really have much of a desire to see the sequel, but this was solid entertainment.

The Death of Stalin. Probably the most disappointing movie I've watch in the past couple of years. I loved In The Loop, and I love the first four seasons of Veep (once Iannucci left and David Mandel took over, it got increasingly weak; I really hated the last season and don't hold up much hope for the final season). I barely laughed at all while watching this, and yet I'm a giant Steve Buscemi fan. Don't understand why this has attained such positive reviews.

Hellboy. Finally, finally got around to watching this. It was okay, but a lot of people overrate this just because it's a Del Toro movie. If I'm going to watch a Del Toro comic book movie, I'd take Blade 2 over this one any day. I prefer Del Toro's movies that are based on original stories he comes up with...I loved The Shape of Water...

Evilspeak. Didn't know much about this early '80s horror movie starring Clint Howard until Scream Factory released it. It was surprisingly good...and incredibly gory...But just bear with the opening, which makes it seem like a completely different movie...

Deadly Eyes. Amazing horror movie about killer rats in the Toronto subway system. Released in 1982. I went in with very low expectations, but this was a very pleasant surprise. Lots of great shots, and the gore is there but not overwhelming. No real stars to speak of (aside from a cameo from Scatman Crothers), but the Scream Factory Blu-Ray was quite good.

The Squad. Columbian horror movie. Very atmospheric, but the plot takes forever to get somewhere. It really only picks up steam after the first hour and twenty or so...I wouldn't highly recommend this one...But the cinematography was great, and I'm amazed they were able to make this on the budget that they had...This was another movie released by Scream Factory...

Red Riding 1974. Pretty solid beginning to the trilogy, about a series of child murders in Britain in the '70s. Andrew Garfield is quite good in this, as is Sean Bean. Very atmospheric...Nevertheless, the follow-ups were much better...

Red Riding 1980. Paddy Considine is great in this, which is probably the best of the trilogy. This one delves into the Yorkshire Ripper, who murdered over a dozen women in the '70s and '80s. Really great, but tragic story...The ending is a killer...

Red Riding 1983. Great ending to the series. I can't remember the name of the main actor (who plays a "solicitor", which I think is some sort of lawyer in British-parlance")...Still a tragic ending but it's well worth seeing...

Creature. Relatively weak TV movie based on a Peter Benchley novel. Aired in two parts in the late '90s (I remember this being one of the last TV movies that actually had hype and I made an effort to watch). Craig T. Nelson is pretty good...But overall it's not really worth watching...

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. A complete bore. Peter Weir has only made a few movies I like (i.e Gallipoli, Witness...maybe The Truman Show), but oftentimes I find his movies boring (I absolutely hate Picnic at Hanging Rock). Avoid this one. The sound on the Blu-Ray is outstanding, though...Demo-quality...

Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 4: Initiation. Pretty awful horror movie starring Clint Howard. Just beyond bad. I like the first three parts of the series, but this was just brutal, and it barely has anything to do with Christmas. And the DVD image looks horrible...

Silent Night, Deadly Night Part 5: The Toy Maker. Wow, Mickey Rooney is one of the stars in this one, despite being one of the most vocal critics of the first movie, claiming it sent a horrible message to kids (even though the movie was obviously rated-R and not intended for kids). His issue was that the original commercials had images of an axe-wielding Santa Claus, and he assumed that would corrupt children. Anyway, there's nothing good about this movie, and the image is just as bad as the previous movie.

Always For Pleasure. One of the so-so movies in the Les Blank Criterion Blu-Ray. Around 50 minutes. Didn't really did this one, which largely seems to revolve around a parade in New Orleans.

Deadpool 2 (Extended Cut). Loved the first one, but this was kind of a letdown. First off, the theatrical cut could very well be better, as this felt like it was 20 minutes too long. I liked Domino and Cable, but it seemed to take forever for them to appear in the movie. As per the first movie, I liked Colossus and Negasonic Teenage Warhead, but again, they weren't in the movie long enough. The only part of the movie I was really happy with and laughing out loud was the "X-Force sequence". I won't spoil it, but that part was hilarious...

The Sender. Somewhat decent horror movie (I've heard Tarantino is a fan). Largely about telepathy and whatnot. I didn't enjoy this that much, but have to admit that the Olive Films Blu-Ray looked and sounded pretty damn good. If you're looking for a somewhat cheesy horror movie to watch on a rainy day, you could do much worse...

Sprout Wings and Fly. My favorite from the Les Blank Criterion Blu-Ray set. This was fantastic, and at only 30 minutes, it really just breezes by. I love the musician that is featured in the movie (a violin player). Very old guy. Very cool. Lots of great life stories. Highly recommended.

Last edited by Goonies85; 08-26-18 at 10:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-26-18, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69

Insomnia (2002)

Although Nolan is a talented craftsman, I did prefer the original norwegian one. It felt more like a depressing psychological drama. Here all the added material feels more hollywoodian and actionish. Still worth watching though.
Good movie, but yeah, the original is way better. But I really thought Robin Williams was good in the remake...Not Pacino so much...This was the year or two when Robin was on a tear and did this, Death to Smoochy (a little underrated) and One Hour Photo (an amazing movie; I love this Mark Romanek flick and wish he went on to greater things, but haven't liked what he's done since)...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.