Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 08-10-18, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Surprised a smaller movie like Van Wilder got a UHD release.
Based on the picture quality, it really didn't take advantage. But Ryan Reynolds is now an A-lister so it's Lionsgate hoping to cash in on his popularity.
Old 08-10-18, 11:34 PM

Received 798 Likes on 521 Posts

Last week my 14yo son and I watched all 5 of the Mission: Impossible movies and then we saw a matinee of Mission: Impossible - Fallout today.

Staying in a similar vein, we just watched The Bourne Identify (2002)... and are now starting The Bourne Supremacy (2004).
Old 08-11-18, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried watching this in the theater one time but when they saw I was the only one there and that I was trying to get a double feature the movie was turned off. Usually love Clint's stuff. In addition to the use of the real guys and them not being actors, the "actors" they chose for the kids were terrible. I had a rental only version so it had no extras. I think a documentary would have been better than the movie.

I'm curious of the ending. It showed the footage of the real life presentation by the French President to 4 recipients for the French medal of honor. Not sure who the fourth guy was at all since I didn't see anyone who resembled him in the movie.

Damn that was a fun and funny movie.
Old 08-11-18, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

The Invitation - 4/5

A man and his girlfriend are invited to attend a dinner party by his ex-wife and her current husband. While there strange things start to happen and he starts to suspect that something is not right. Are his suspicions correct or is he just being paranoid? Really good well made slow burn psychological drama/thriller.
Old 08-11-18, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Transfiguration - 4/5

An African-American teen who lives with his older brother in the projects has a disturbing obsession with vampires. On some evenings, he goes out preying on victims and drinking their blood. Is he really a vampire or just mentally deranged? An interesting take on the vampire genre that feels like George Romero's Martin meets Barry Jenkins' Moonlight.
Old 08-11-18, 10:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Sundays and Cybèle (1962)...wow this was dark. i had no idea what to expect. mom said this was the first movie that made an impression on her and changed the way she saw foreign and domestic films. saying foreign is much more creative, innovative and daring. i agree, especially with Sundays. It made me feel awkward and uncomfortable being school teacher, but i'm glad they didn't cross the true line in this one. the cinematography, the shots and framing were magnificent. you just don't see that a lot in American movies, especially of the independent nature. this was emotional, sad, uncomfortable and really well made. this is one that stays with you for sure. glad it won best foreign pic Oscar...

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-11-18 at 10:19 PM.
Old 08-11-18, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
The Invitation - 4/5

A man and his girlfriend are invited to attend a dinner party by his ex-wife and her current husband. While there strange things start to happen and he starts to suspect that something is not right. Are his suspicions correct or is he just being paranoid? Really good well made slow burn psychological drama/thriller.

I hated this when it came out but it has started to grow on me.
Old 08-12-18, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

American Guinea Pig: The Song of Solomon (2017)

The FX work by Oddtopsy FX & Jerami Cruise is top notch but the varying level of performances hurts it a bit.
Old 08-12-18, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

I watched Alex & The List today. I'm glad I had a digital code and only paid fifty-five cents to rent this from Redbox. It was not very good. I thought it had an interesting premise, but it was basically a raunchy version of a bad Hallmark movie. 2.5/5
Old 08-12-18, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

BlackkKlansman - 4/5

An African-American detective infiltrates the KKK in the 1970’s. A scathing critique in America’s current political climate and Spike Lee’s best since 25th Hour.
Old 08-12-18, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On Chesil Beack (2018) — Good performances by both leads and some quality production and costumes designs are marred with poor editing choices (using flashbacks) and an ending that should have been more emotional than it was. This is a case where the studio should've hired a professional screenwriter rather than the author adapting his own novel. Real shame as I loved the adaption to another one of his novels, Atonement. 3.0/5
Old 08-12-18, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Ritual - 2.5/5

A group of college buddies go to Sweden on a hiking trip after the death of their friend. While there they encounter an evil force in the woods that preys upon their deepest fears. Mediocre horror film that starts off promising and then goes for the typical cliches.
Old 08-13-18, 12:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Walk The Line 5/5 - I've never been a fan of country music but I love this movie, One of my all time favorites.

Deadpool 2 3.5/5 - Not as funny as the first, I think they tried a bit too hard in spots to top the first movie but I enjoyed it non the less

The Music Within 5/5 - little known movie about the man who started the Americans With Disabilities Act. Michael Sheen steals the show though with his performance.

Tag 3/5 - group of friends play the same game of tag for 30 years, seems like a weird premise for a movie, but its enjoyable and light.
Old 08-14-18, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched Mission: Impossible - Fallout last night and I loved it. It has some of the best action sequences that I have seen in quite some time. 4.5/5
Old 08-14-18, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I watched Shane this afternoon for the first time. I loved it. It's in my top five Westerns of all time.
Old 08-14-18, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Watched the three Predator movies over the last couple of days. Had been years since I saw the first one and found it as entertaining as ever; Predator 2 had its moments but having it taking place from the jungle to the concrete jungle did not work, however I did like it was trying something different and expanded a bit on the mythos; and last Predators was a movie I thought was only okay back in 2010 but thoroughly enjoyed it with its flawed characters and some decent fights with the Predators, shame we won't see what comes of the two survivors, guess they'll join Elizabeth Shaw in the afterlife...

Predator (1987) — 3.75/5
Predator 2 (1990) — 3.0/5
Predators (2010) — 3.5/5
Old 08-14-18, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Just me but I am not a big fan of the MI movies. Tom Cruise would not have a career anymore if Hollywood stopped MI movies.

It was alright but too long
Old 08-14-18, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

American Guinea Pig: Sacrifice (2017)

If you enjoy watching an individual mutilate themselves for 1 hour in the name of Ishtar, this might be your film!

Solid FX work and doesn't outstay its welcome. The only issue I had with the film was the sometimes corny (or inadvertently silly) voice-overs. The film could have cut a few of them and been a bit stronger, as some of the lines are in striking contrast to the tone (and look) of the film.
Old 08-15-18, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was finally able to get The Room from Netflix's dvd rental service. I wanted to watch it before I watch The Disaster Artist. I watched it today and it's awful. Horrible writing and acting. If you had a drink every time a character said "I don't know", you would probably die of alcohol poisoning. I don't know if you can make a worse movie than this... 0/5
Old 08-15-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Submission (2018) — Great performances from both Stanley Tucci and Addison Timlin marred by a substandard script that could've been better, though don't know if it's due to the screenwriter or if it adhered to the source novel. Still, worthy of a rental. 3.0/5
Old 08-15-18, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

It was on Showtime.

Was this suppose to be a drama or a thriller?
Old 08-15-18, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Miles Ahead (2016)

Not your usual biopic but a weird (and interesting) combination of caper film and psychological drama. Directed by and starring Don Cheadle as jazz legend Miles Davis it tells of the time when Davis took a 5 year break from music to do coke and be an asshole in general. Having read a Davis biography short time after, I was surprised to see how fucked up/bad ass he was. He was a pimp at one time in his life, beat his wives and sometimes hit his musicians, badmouthed everyone he didn't like, was a heroin and coke addict and an overall asshole. But he was a musical genius, probably the greatest jazz musician/composer of all time. Equaled only by Kenny G maybe
Old 08-15-18, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Le trip à trois (The Threesome) (2017)

Local Québec comedy about a married woman who finds her life a bit of a bore so decides to spice it up with a threesome ... but not with her husband. Not very funny o
Old 08-15-18, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Easy Riders, Raging Bulls: How the sex, drugs & Rock'n'roll generation saved Hollywood (2003)

Awesome documentary about early 70s Hollywood when a bunch of young film students and lovers of European author-cinema (Scorsese, Spielberg, Lucas. Milius, etc.) shook the foundations of the studio system for a few years ... only to become the new masters of that hated corporate-run monster.

Lots of great anecdotes and insightful comments by a lot of the people who were there at the time. I love Roger Corman's comment at the end about when Jaws and Star Wars came out. Something along the lines: "we knew then that B-movies had come through the big door with big money and that was the end of something"

Based on a supposedly excellent book.
Old 08-15-18, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cartouche (1964)

Amusing and typical Philippe de Broca/Jean-Paul Belmondo film with the usual adventures, stunts and clever banter. A young Claudia Cardinale stars and sizzles! Fun but not a masterpiece by far.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.