Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 02-14-18, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Watched the Unrated Cut of the new Dawn of the Dead Shout Factory BD that I just ordered recently.

Hadn't seen the movie since about 2005 when it came out on DVD. And I still own the DVD as well.

It was still entertaining.

Looks like most of the extras from the DVD were ported over, but they are in 4:3 and SD. There are some new extras on the theatrical cut disc.
Old 02-14-18, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

No you are not missing anything here
Old 02-14-18, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Flight of the innocent (1992)

Okay italian thriller about a young boy who runs away from his home in the countryside after a rival neighbouring family has killed all his relatives over the ransom of a kidnapped rich boy from the city. He then ends up in Rome where he thinks he'll be safe with his cousin but one of his cousin's 'friends' betrays them to the rival gang and he must run again. Will he dare seek the family of the kidnapped son...?

Story was not bad and pace was well maintained but the directing a bit tacky at times. Still, watchable, if you ever stumble upon it.

Last edited by rogerrobert69; 02-14-18 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-14-18, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes' Smartest Brother (1975)

Mildly amusing Gene Wilder rump about Sigerson Holmes, the third Holmes brother - and less popular!- and how his well known detective sibling used him as a bait to solve the mystery of some missing government papers. The usual slapstick and showbusiness antiques from Wilder, Madeleine Kahn and Marty Feldman.
Old 02-14-18, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Black Friday (1940)

The Raven (1935)

A pair of old Universal horror films with Karloff and Lugosi. Nothing to write home about but always nice to watch on a late friday night when all the family is in bed. The Raven, from Edgar Poe, is the most interesting of the two.
Old 02-14-18, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fury (1936)

Fritz Lang's take on the 'wrongfully accused dead man'. Here Spencer Tracy plays average Joe who gets imprisoned and then almost burned alive with the jail when a lynch-mob sets fire to it. He'll then try and bring all those responsible to justice to see them hang.
Well directed but script has too many incongruities and weak plot twists to make it a solid Lang thriller. Gets marks for good intentions though.
Old 02-15-18, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 91 Posts

Big Hero 6 (2014) on Movies Anywhere. We saw it theatrically with our kid, but he was too young to remember watching it, so we revisited it. It's fun and inoffensive (and I'm not at all familiar with the comic, so hopefully those aren't fighting words). The scenery looks great, but a lot of the facial animation is surprisingly poor considering how recent it is.
Old 02-15-18, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Reset (2017)

I watched Reset late night night on Prime video. Paid a few bucks to rent it. A very well made and compelling science fiction time travel thriller from China produced by Jackie Chan.

Mi Yang, who is the lead of the film, gives a really heartfelt and compelling performance as a young mother doing whatever it takes to rescue her kidnapped son.

I didn't expect much from a sci-fi thriller made in mainland China, but I thought this was really good.
Old 02-15-18, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-15-18, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

I went with my dad to watch Hostiles today. I loved it. Christian Bale and Rosamund Pike are fantastic in this. Rory Cochrane also gives a nice supporting performance too. 4.75/5
Old 02-16-18, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-16-18, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,006 Likes on 624 Posts

The Circle, starring Emma Watson with Tom Hanks, Patton Oswalt, Karen Gillan, and John Boyega in supporting roles.

It was bad. Really bad. I'm no fan of the way companies like Facebook, Google, etc. have infiltrated themselves into so many aspects of people's lives, but this movie gets really paranoid really fast. At first it seemed like a mildly exaggerated version of the corporate tech culture. The overbearing 'social' aspects of Hermione's new job were kind of amusing and Hanks' introductory scene was a fun send-up of Steve Jobs and all his wannabes. But then it just gets more and more ridiculous. Poor character development left me thinking that everyone, including Watson's character, were just very shallow horrible people.

Also, it was kind of depressing to realize that the two actors who portray Watson's character's parents--Bill Paxton and Glenne Headly--both died last year.
Old 02-16-18, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Professor Marston and the Wonder Women (2017) — As with most "Based on True Story" movies, not entirely sure how accurate this was, but it is well acted by Luke Evans, Rebecca Hall and Bella Heathcote to go along with impressive production design.

3.75/5, (B+, 7.7/10, 3/4)
Old 02-17-18, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Living Among Us (2018)
The Child Remains (2017)
Old 02-17-18, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Other than Rodents Of Unusual Size, they threw quite a few obstacles at these two. Not bad but basically predictable storyline.
Old 02-17-18, 09:24 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Lady Bird...I didn’t get it. Can’t believe highest rated rotten tomatoes of all time. I mean it was ok, but didn’t seem realistic. Everything Ronan said sounded forced. And not sure why the Metcalf hype. I mean she’s good, but nothing great. Thought father, Tracey Letts, was actually quite good and could have got some recognition. Just didn’t click and I had high hopes. While not realistic I enjoyed Edge of 17 much more as coming of age story.
Old 02-19-18, 06:58 AM

Received 804 Likes on 523 Posts

In the last three weeks I’ve watched a few fantastic movies: Darkest Hour, The Post, and Bridge of Spies.

All three were 5 stars for me!
Old 02-19-18, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Black Panther - very good but not better than Capt. America IMHO.
15:17 to Paris - I started watching this after Panther. I heard complaints about the guys not being actors. The adults weren't that bad. The kids that played them were terrible. An usher came in about half way through, about 5 minutes later the movie was turned off and the lights came on. Apparently they didn't like me catching a double feature
Jumanji - caught the last half after getting kicked out of 15:17. Goddamn that Karen Gillian I'd hot in those shorts. Already saw this once and have preordered the 4K disc for next month.
Old 02-19-18, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Replace (2017)
Derelicts (2017
Night of the Comet (1984)
Butterfly Kisses (2017)
Baba Yaga Origins (2017)
Late (2017)
Daeva (2017)
C Is For Clown (2017)
Stillborn (2017)
Maniac (1980)
Fandango (1985)
Old 02-20-18, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Bleeding Steel (2017)

Sci-Action movie starring Jackie Chan. Filmed on location in Sydney, Australia.

I liked it, but it gets very silly and over the top at times.
Old 02-20-18, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Black Panther - very good but not better than Capt. America IMHO.
15:17 to Paris - I started watching this after Panther. I heard complaints about the guys not being actors. The adults weren't that bad. The kids that played them were terrible. An usher came in about half way through, about 5 minutes later the movie was turned off and the lights came on. Apparently they didn't like me catching a double feature
Jumanji - caught the last half after getting kicked out of 15:17. Goddamn that Karen Gillian I'd hot in those shorts. Already saw this once and have preordered the 4K disc for next month.
You're an almost 60 year old man and sneaking into movies?

Just get Movie Pass. $10/month and it will save you the embarrassment.
Old 02-20-18, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Mr. Mom (1983)

It's currently airing on Cinemax and I watched it tonight.

Let's say I'm glad I didn't buy the recent Shout Factory Blu-Ray. This movie has not aged well at all. Very dated. I hadn't seen this since seeing it on VHS back as a kid, so I didn't recall very much about it. It had some cute moments, but it's not something I would need to own or watch again. I don't think it has much replay value. I would have only watched the disc once.

Although Teri Garr at age 36 at the time did look pretty hot.
Old 02-20-18, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Le corbeau (1943)

Henri George Clouzot's (of "Les diaboliques" and "Wages of Fear" fame) suspenseful and apparently light tale of small village affected by anonymous letters sent to most of its citizens by mysterious 'Corbeau' (Crow) character. Although some take the denonciations lightly, some start repeating the rumours these letters carry and suspicion and discord and hatred soon arise. Although light and amusing on the surface, I suspect it is a direct attack on such anonymous informants who, for egotistical reasons, had their neighbours or enemies arrested by the german-friendly police in occupied France during WW2.
Fun watch alhtough you have to like older films.
Old 02-20-18, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Black Jack (1979)

Although a huge fan of Ken Loach, I can't say that, for me, this film (even on second viewing) is up to par with the rest of his filmography. Tale set in 18th century England about a young boy forced in helping a runaway from the law who ends up saving a young girl from a lunatic asylum where she was badly taken care of.
The acting of the non-professional young children on which most of the movie rests was not convincing enough to make it work. Plus, the running around back and forth of some of the characters made it a bit ennerving.
Old 02-20-18, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Othello (1951)

Orson Welles' take on the Shakespearan play. I'm not a Shakespeare scholar (english isn't even my first language !) so I don't know how it stands as an adaptation, but filmwise it is certainly a visual masterpiece. Every shot is incredibly composed/lit/purposeful/meaningful. The natural sets are well used and even though the production was marred with financial problems (the italian producer went bankrupt after a few days into the shoot and Welles financed it himself by taking the odd acting jobs that came his way over the next 3-4 years thus halting production when he needed to work for more money) it doesn't show. It is a great and beautiful film.
As a bonus for me, I had the chance to work with québécoise actress Suzanne Cloutier (Desdemona) before she passed away. A nice and gentle lady.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.