Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jack Reacher (McQuarrie, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Jack Reacher (McQuarrie, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
4.65%
9.30%
41.86%
23.26%
11.63%
6.98%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Jack 'Outof' Reacher
2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Jack Reacher (McQuarrie, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-13, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Jack Reacher (McQuarrie, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
That's a weak reading. The movie sets up NOTHING for that type of information to get from. It was a little gag that one could chuckle from but it was just a quick set up for him to get away and then to the next scene.
Are you talking about mine or GatorDebs assumption?

It just seemed they didn't know how to end it.
I loved it if Reacher stabbed the guy who gave him the hat just because he saw his face for too long or something.

"thanks for helping but now you have to die!"
Old 01-04-13, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Here was my take on the people hiding:
Spoiler:
I think it depends on the neighborhood. Some neighborhoods are distrustful of police for one reason or another and cherish any opportunity to "stick it to the man." So he may have just been at the right place at the right time.
That was how I read the scene and that analysis certainly has basis in reality.
Old 01-10-13, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I liked it a lot, once I put aside the poor casting and enjoyed it for a suspense/action flick.
Cruise was very good, as usual. The supporting cast, less so. Reacher is not only a badass, but he's also supposed to be a terrific investigator, which showed especially when he listened to some info about the victims and immediately made a few correct deductions about why they were in the location at the time.

The bad guys are suitably nasty but, as someone already pointed out, the focal crime deems to dwarf what they were after.

Spoiler:
Once it was revealed that one of the "good guys" was actually part of the "bad guys", it was so obvious that the District Attorney was the turncoat that you KNEW it wasn't going to be him. I hate that cliche.

One complaint is that most of the really badass moments are show in the trailer.
Old 01-11-13, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I liked it a lot, once I put aside the poor casting and enjoyed it for a suspense/action flick.
Cruise was very good, as usual. The supporting cast, less so. Reacher is not only a badass, but he's also supposed to be a terrific investigator, which showed especially when he listened to some info about the victims and immediately made a few correct deductions about why they were in the location at the time.

The bad guys are suitably nasty but, as someone already pointed out, the focal crime deems to dwarf what they were after.

Spoiler:
Once it was revealed that one of the "good guys" was actually part of the "bad guys", it was so obvious that the District Attorney was the turncoat that you KNEW it wasn't going to be him. I hate that cliche.

One complaint is that most of the really badass moments are show in the trailer.

Yeah, I mean I can understand why people who read the books were pissed because Reacher wasn't a 6-5, 240 pound guy, but I thought Cruise did a great job.

He's no Daniel Day-Lewis, but you can tell he works his ass off to make the movies he's in as good as possible.

A very enjoyable action flick, IMO. And I don't usually care for those types of films.
Old 01-11-13, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I enjoyed it. A good example of less is more. I generally like Tom Cruise in movies and i agree with the poster who said that he does seem to give it his best to make the movie the best it can be. I watched a "Culture Show" special over Christmas where they interviewed Lee Childs and i agreed with something he said about the casting of Tom Cruise. He said that for fans of the books they can watch the movie and not like it, but that will not mean they will no longer have the books available to them. The books are one version and the movie is another...people can choose which they prefer. I have not read any of the books and i think this was an advantage. I went in with no preconceived notions and could take the movie for what it was. In the end i found it enjoyable entertainment and i would like to see more of the character in future movies.

Oh, and the one distracting thing that myself and my friends noticed when discussing it afterwards was how in one scene particular Rosamund Pikes boobs seem to be given a boost. One particular friend appreciated this a lot. When he rates a movie out of 10, if it has boobs or a topless scene in it then it will automatically start at 4/10 for that alone. Yes he is a single guy. LOL
Old 01-11-13, 02:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only thing that disturbed the most in terms of visual was the meh cgi on the head baddie's hand. Looked bad.
Old 01-16-13, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoyed it thoroughly.
2 gripes though. The lead female seemed really dumb in this movie considering her job title.
and
Spoiler:
I didn't get how Jack could just swing in and shoot the detective while he was hiding behind the hostage. Would have like to have seen some cunning realism there.
Old 01-19-13, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this tonight with my wife and we both really enjoyed it. I'd give it a solid 4/5. Did anyone else get a bit of a 70's vibe from the movie? It's seemed pretty grounded in reality for the most part, and I thought it had one of the better car chases in recent years.

I couldn't help but think of Sandy Hook during the opening scene, which actually ended up making it that much more chilling.

I guess my only problem was I would have liked to see more of what the bad guys were all about. I really didn't understand what their motivation was other than they were some mysterious corporation that had some nefarious plan, and a spooky leader (didn't know it was Herzog till the credits). Also would have liked to know why the cop decided to work for the baddies.

I'd be interested in seeing more Reacher movies, but maybe I'll take a look at the books someday.
Old 05-09-13, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I really liked this movie. I had no clue that it came from a series of books. I'm not an avid reader. Are the books good? Easy reads? Page turners?
Old 05-11-13, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
I really liked this movie. I had no clue that it came from a series of books. I'm not an avid reader. Are the books good? Easy reads? Page turners?
The books are all very similar in tone. Reacher is a drifter and ends up in similar situations. But there are a few that jump back in time or bring in a different scenario we haven't seen before.

They are decent reads and definitely page turners. There is one weird little quirk about the series which I've never bothered to research. The first book is written in the first person. The rest are written in the third person, except for another one recently that went back to first. It's odd.
Old 05-11-13, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
They are decent reads and definitely page turners. There is one weird little quirk about the series which I've never bothered to research. The first book is written in the first person. The rest are written in the third person, except for another one recently that went back to first. It's odd.
http://www.leechild.com/faqmedia/
Lee says writing in first person is more natural for him. But writing in third person gives him more freedom when building suspense. With third person narrative, the suspense builds easily as the reader can essentially see around corners and anticipate events about which Reacher has no knowledge. With the first person narrative, the reader can only know what Reacher knows. That’s it in a nutshell. The storyline dictates what narrative voice would suit best. Certainly, with first person the story is more graphic and intimate as we’re inside Jack’s head. So far in the series, Killing Floor, Persuader, The Enemy, Gone Tomorrow, and The Affair are in first person narrative. Die Trying, Tripwire, Running Blind/The Visitor, Echo Burning, Without Fail, One Shot, The Hard Way, Bad Luck and Trouble, Nothing to Lose, 61 Hours, Worth Dying For, A Wanted Man are in third person.
Old 05-11-13, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not crazy for it thought the story was weak and the lawyer was way too dumbed down. Tom Cruise did a great performance though as reacher. Interested to see if it becomes a franchise for now I'll stick to Mission Impossible
Old 05-13-13, 03:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

not a bad little whydunit? i liked the methodical, smart approach and not overly action oriented tone. i always like Cruise and though he doesn't fit the character in terms of stature from what i've heard, i think he did a fine job, albeit very reminiscent of Ethan Hunt. i mean he isn't stretching too much here. But it was a smart movie with little action, but what was there was decent.

Old 05-14-13, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I saw this film last night and really enjoyed it. It was very different and far better than what the trailers made it seem. It was refreshing to see so many static shots (even during the action sequences). I really enjoyed the car chase and love that the action sequences were almost totally devoid of music.

If a sequel is made, I hope it's done exactly like this one.

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
That's a weak reading. The movie sets up NOTHING for that type of information to get from. It was a little gag that one could chuckle from but it was just a quick set up for him to get away and then to the next scene.
I have to agree with GatorDeb. The smug smile on the face of the guy who lent Jack his cap pretty much spells it out. Heck, Jack even shrugs at one of the citizenns that looks at him with a look that practically asks "all this because of you?"

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-14-13 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-14-13, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw this recently and was mildly entertained for the duration (the opening was great). But the chick that played that lawyer, despite being stunning, was so awful it really took me out of the movie. She's a freaking mouth-breather. She literally did not close her lips the entire movie! If you watch it again, drink every time her mouth is closed. You'll get through the film completely sober. IT FREAKED ME OUT!!!
Old 05-14-13, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

^ I think she was just inviting you to some oral pleasure.
Old 05-15-13, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Meh...I also got a 70's vibe from this and the trailers ruined every action scene as they were all shown in there. I expected an action movie I got basically an Alex Cross type movie. Not a bad mystery but I didn't expect that. 2.5 out of 5 Average. Cruise was good as usual but this is not something I will watch again.

One thing that got really distracting is there were so many shots of people just standing basically expressionless with a blank stare. Not sure what that was all about. And the lawer gal is a horrible actress and really distracting. She pretty much ruins every scene she is in.
Old 05-15-13, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

They should have just cast an American actress to play Pike's character.

I agree with d2cheer. Saw this in theaters and thought it was average at best. Zero replay value for me. The MI: movies at least have some replay value.
Old 06-01-13, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

I Redboxed this tonight. An enjoyable thriller, nothing more and nothing less. I thought the film ran a bit long and occasionally dragged. Rosamund Pike was looking good. I'm stunned Reacher and her didn't hook up at some point. I'm in the minority, I like Cruise as an actor and I thought he was solid in the role, but from what I understand he was terribly miscast (according to the book readers). Obviously this didn't bother me since I'm not familiar with the character.

It was good seeing Robert Duvall as well, always have liked him. I'm a big fan of Werner Herzog as a director and had never seen him act before. I thought he was good, but it still took me out of the movie whenever I saw him because I have only known the real Werner Herzog. Tough to see him being someone else.

Overall I'd say there's some good action sequences, believable acting (by the main cast), and an interesting story but the pacing and direction could have been better.

I think a more entertaining film of a similar vein is Salt.