Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Jackson, 2012) The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Jackson, 2012) The Reviews Thread
8.89%
19.26%
34.81%
21.48%
7.41%
1.48%
0.74%
1.48%
0%
0.74%
0.74%
The Hobbled: An Unexpected Crippling
2.96%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Jackson, 2012) The Reviews Thread

Old 12-17-12, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Jackson, 2012) The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
By the time he'd seen ROT, he said he had revised his opinion of the entire trilogy. He understood why certain scenes were included and why certain seemingly insignificant plot points were belabored. Is that potentially the case here? Or is the movie just not that good?
Well, it is just one part of a whole that we have yet to see, so there's no way to know if by the time the trilogy ends what our collective opinions will be. The story is naturally unfinished in this first entry, so I think the sense of incompleteness is much more prevalent.

With that said, I thoroughly enjoyed The Hobbit, despite some personal quibbles about characters, pacing. The HFR 3D was crystal clear, which made some of the actions sequences especially dizzying.
Old 12-17-12, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I think this one is a lot less accessible to non-readers than it should have been, as well as to potential newcomers who haven't seen LOTR. Many lines and instances are allusions to book lines/chapters that seem to prove corny if you don't have the inside track. The movie is not awful , but it feels very big for the small story it is trying to tell, and a lot of the extra stuff they add is only there to build to LOTR. Hope that makes sense.
Old 12-17-12, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
^ I think this one is a lot less accessible to non-readers than it should have been, as well as to potential newcomers who haven't seen LOTR.
Good point. I've read the Hobbit/LOTR books more than a few times over the years, so I didn't have that sort of disconnect.
Old 12-17-12, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post
^ I think this one is a lot less accessible to non-readers than it should have been, as well as to potential newcomers who haven't seen LOTR. Many lines and instances are allusions to book lines/chapters that seem to prove corny if you don't have the inside track. The movie is not awful , but it feels very big for the small story it is trying to tell, and a lot of the extra stuff they add is only there to build to LOTR. Hope that makes sense.
This is my point. As some who has read and enjoyed everything from The Annotated Hobbit to The Children of Hurin to LOTR to The Silmarillion, I'll probably have a much different reaction to this film than someone going in cold. Also, my tolerance for narrative asides and excruciating detail is certainly going to be higher than non-readers. Given that most of the critical complaints seem to be about the perceived extraneousness of some of the plot and the overall length of the movie, this seems like something to keep in mind.

Also, if you havent read The Hobbit, give it a try. It's a seemingly simple book that actually has lots of wise and deep points about human nature, society, ambition and what is truly worth living for. Tolkein was a smart guy and someone who's values I share.
Old 12-17-12, 11:24 AM
Banned by request

They should have cut the dwarves down to five or six. Although I know the hardcore fans of the book would be screaming bloody murder.
Old 12-17-12, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

saw it in 48fps 3d and loved it. i can see how non-tolkien nerds wouldnt like it, though.
I was happy the dish washing song was in it since i love that song from the old cartoon version
Old 12-17-12, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is my point. As some who has read and enjoyed everything from The Annotated Hobbit to The Children of Hurin to LOTR to The Silmarillion, I'll probably have a much different reaction to this film than someone going in cold. Also, my tolerance for narrative asides and excruciating detail is certainly going to be higher than non-readers. Given that most of the critical complaints seem to be about the perceived extraneousness of some of the plot and the overall length of the movie, this seems like something to keep in mind.

Also, if you havent read The Hobbit, give it a try. It's a seemingly simple book that actually has lots of wise and deep points about human nature, society, ambition and what is truly worth living for. Tolkein was a smart guy and someone who's values I share.
I agree that people who haven't read The Hobbit should do so. My main problem with this one was that they took what is probably the most non-initiated accessible Middle-Earth based book and made it into something that requires both book reading and viewing of the prior movies to full enjoy. When FOTR ended I was elated that two more movies were on the way, as I could not get enough of the world. This time I felt kind of irked that I was going to have to trudge through two more to get what I know could have been resolved in two movies, and that's with extra stuff added.
Old 12-17-12, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
That doesn't make it any less stupid. It pulls you out of the movie and is something that should have been excised in the translation to the screen.
Golf was invented in the 15th century (some claim it's actually based on an ancient Roman game), so that reference didn't seem that out of place to me.

I saw this Saturday in a regular theater (no 3D, no 48 fps). I thought it was fantastic. Casting was great, many of the dwarves stood out when I wasn't sure I would remember any of them except for Thorin. It's way more light-hearted in ways than LOTR, yet has the same great Middle-Earth look and feel.

I actually liked the stuff with Radagast and the White Council, even though it was a bit goofy. It feels (as someone else already said) more like a LOTR prequel than just a re-telling of the Hobbit.

I was skeptical about making three movies out of the material, but this one seemed to fly by (even my 8.5 months pregnant wife thought so) and we only just got out of the goblin kingdom. I'm anxiously looking forward to the other two films!
Old 12-17-12, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

For those who complain about the movie being silly in places I wonder if they would have liked it more if Gandalf had to push the vertebrae of all of the dwarfs back in their backs once the bridges fell on top of all of them?
Old 12-17-12, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
For those who complain about the movie being silly in places I wonder if they would have liked it more if Gandalf had to push the vertebrae of all of the dwarfs back in their backs once the bridges fell on top of all of them?

Well played.
Old 12-17-12, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Or if Bilbo dressed up as a clown and talked funny, while Samwise showed up dressed up as a bat and tried to capture him.
Old 12-17-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That doesn't make it any less stupid. It pulls you out of the movie and is something that should have been excised in the translation to the screen.
What else should be removed besides miles and golf? Pints? Biscuits? Longbows?

Picking on golf or miles is being a bit arbitrary.

It's actually a pet peeve of mine when a fantasy book insists on replacing a common word with "insert-made-up-word-here-for-no-reason". It's better to stick to familiar terms.

I wasn't a fan of Radagast showing up or Azog chasing them around. I liked the original being-treed-by-evil-wolves vs Azog. I liked the original "grabbed by Goblins right under Gandalf's nose" in the mountain cave (IIRC)...wasn't a fan of movie Bilbo "I'm gonna leave!" syndrome at the cave in the mountains, either.

The repeated dwarf flashbacks were fun for me but I see how reviewers would be annoyed (the pacing suffered for it).

I think PJ & co. was trying to cram in a lot that is given in story/song/etc later in the book - the Arkenstone, the Dwarf kingdoms, etc and it made for awkward pacing. Hopefully it'll pay off in the long run.
Old 12-17-12, 02:49 PM
Banned by request

Plenty of people complained about that plot point in TDKR.
Old 12-17-12, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't seen this yet, one initial question:

Is there a sense that it might be tough to truly assess these movies without being able to see all of them? If you think back to the LOTR trilogy, FOTR got some mixed reviews as (non-reader) critics couldn't see the full narrative arc that PJ was trying to build. Ebert's a good example. By the time he'd seen ROT[K], he said he had revised his opinion of the entire trilogy. He understood why certain scenes were included and why certain seemingly insignificant plot points were belabored. Is that potentially the case here? Or is the movie just not that good?
I think that is entirely it. These 3 new films are interconnected not only to each other but are prequels to the 3 films already made, so it'll be tough to judge them well until they are all done.

In a sense, this seems to be more a prequel trilogy to Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings films than any sort of straightforward film adaptation of The Hobbit novel. It might be a deeper and more expansive approach ultimately, but it also might completely lose the sense of fun and adventure that is J.R.R. Tolkien's novel The Hobbit.
Old 12-17-12, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FOTR didn't get overall mixed reviews; it was quite positively received. Even a Best Picture nomination.
Old 12-18-12, 02:10 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post

In a sense, this seems to be more a prequel trilogy to Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings films than any sort of straightforward film adaptation of The Hobbit novel. It might be a deeper and more expansive approach ultimately, but it also might completely lose the sense of fun and adventure that is J.R.R. Tolkien's novel The Hobbit.
This is what worries me as well. I'd rather that they have made The Hobbit as two films, then made a third film that dealt with the appendices and acted as a bridge from The Hobbit to LOTR.
Old 12-18-12, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked it a lot. I was not that excited about seeing it, as I had just re-watched all three extended editions of LOTR with friends, and found myself bored through quite a bit of them. I was expecting this movie to be more of the same, but I was pleasantly surprised. Yeah, it feels like it caters more to a younger crowd, but that's kind of what I liked most about it. It gave me that kid feeling again, and during a time in my life when I couldn't possibly be suffering with more adult problems, it was a much welcomed escape.
Old 12-18-12, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
What else should be removed besides miles and golf? Pints? Biscuits? Longbows?

Picking on golf or miles is being a bit arbitrary.

It's actually a pet peeve of mine when a fantasy book insists on replacing a common word with "insert-made-up-word-here-for-no-reason". It's better to stick to familiar terms.
Why are those arbitrary? "insert-made-up-word-here-for-no-reason" words work just fine in other films(sci-fi mostly), why not here? Rhetorical question - Would lacrosse have worked better in Harry Potter or does the made up word/game work better?

I'd have to watch it again, but there were a couple other modern references(3 Stooges is a good one I forgot). I'm the clearly your opposite. My pet peeve is having references to modern earthly things in a fantasy world not of our own.

And yes, it's a silly complaint, I mentioned as much when I stated it.
Old 12-18-12, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Saw this in 48fps 3D in New Zealand last weekend. I don't know if it was me getting used to it or Jackson grasping the technology better, but the second half of the movie gave me less problems than the first.

Overall the problem with the movie is the tone. I can't put my finger on it, but it seems to be an imbalance of being too serious at times and not serious enough at others.
Old 12-18-12, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My pet peeve is having references to modern earthly things in a fantasy world not of our own.
Middle Earth IS our world. The events in the Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Silmarillion, etc happened thousands of years ago on the planet Earth. The men in the books and movies could be thought of as our ancestors.

As far as golf goes, apparently it was around back then but then was reinvented by modern man in the 14th century or whenever it was.
Old 12-18-12, 08:31 AM

Saw it yesterday is 3D IMAX HFR. I was excited because according to theonering.net's chart there was a theater playing it in IMAX 3D HFR and ATMOS. Come to find out the HFR and ATMOS were two separate showings. Dammit.

Anyway my opinion was that the HFR was initially a little jarring, and it does remind one of video at first. Since I've been trained to think movies should have a certain motion since I've been going to movies it took me a bit to try and forget that. But, later on in the movie- especially in the battle scenes, the goblin cave, and the last orc battle- it really shines.

I've noticed- especially in the LOTR movies they use lots of wider special effects/miniature shots, where the characters look tiny and they are running/walking through the frame- the motion is sometimes off. It's like they move slightly faster than they should- at least in a standard 24fps movie. HFR really helps to integrate the special effects with the live or miniature shot plates. A large scale special effect movie like The Hobbit (which often cuts together wide large scale battle sequences with hand to hand combat), benefits from the HFR more than a standard film. Twice the frame rate also helps to cut down on motion blur so a lot of the quick shots are much more visually coherent.

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Saw this in 48fps 3D in New Zealand last weekend. I don't know if it was me getting used to it or Jackson grasping the technology better, but the second half of the movie gave me less problems than the first.
I agree with this. Some of the early scenes even look sped up. Not every shot, but a few. Almost like they shot it in 24fps and then "converted" it to 48fps. I'm inclined to believe it was much more than "getting used to it." Many scenes early in the movie don't look quite right. I'll definitely see the next film (video?) in HFR.
Old 12-18-12, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
This is what worries me as well. I'd rather that they have made The Hobbit as two films, then made a third film that dealt with the appendices and acted as a bridge from The Hobbit to LOTR.
Well, the first part of The Hobbit with Frodo and Bilbo is right before Fellowship, so there's a segue right there. I'm sure it'll be bookended properly when the third Hobbit film is released. 2 years left to go!
Old 12-18-12, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Well, the first part of The Hobbit with Frodo and Bilbo is right before Fellowship, so there's a segue right there. I'm sure it'll be bookended properly when the third Hobbit film is released. 2 years left to go!
Actually only a year and a half. I believe the next one will come out December 2013 and the final one will come out May 2014.
Old 12-18-12, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why would they do that? Seems odd, given the release sched for LotR.
Old 12-18-12, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
Why would they do that? Seems odd, given the release sched for LotR.
Actually I just looked and IMDB has it as July 2014. Not really sure why they'd do that, but I believe other trilogies have had similar release dates. 2nd movie 1 year after the first and then the 3rd movie 6 to 7 months after the second. I think the Star Wars prequels had that schedule.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.