Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016, Bobin) S: Wasikowska, Depp, Carter, Hathaway

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016, Bobin) S: Wasikowska, Depp, Carter, Hathaway

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-12, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Disney mad for 'Alice' sequel with Woolverton
Mouse House go-to scribe penning sequel to $1 billion hit
By Marc Graser, Justin Kroll

Disney wants Alice to return to Wonderland.

Mouse House stalwart Linda Woolverton is penning a sequel to Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland," the 2010 hit that starred Mia Wasikowska as Alice and Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter. The 3D film went on to earn $1 billion worldwide and scored Oscars for art direction and costume design.

Woolverton has a long history with Disney, having previously written the studio's "Beauty and the Beast," "The Lion King," "Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey," and "Maleficent," and contributed to toons "Mulan" and "Aladdin." Sequel's plot details are under wraps, but first film was inspired by Lewis Carroll's "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" and its sequel "Through the Looking-Glass," with Alice fleeing real-world pressures by returning to Wonderland.

Joe Roth, Suzanne Todd and Jennifer Todd would return as producers.

Disney's first "Alice" pic is already is being developed as a musical by Disney Theatrical Prods, with Rob Ashford set to direct based on a script that Woolverton also wrote. Stage version will follow the plot of the "Alice" movie.

The "Alice" sequel is the latest fantasy tale Disney is currently lensing or developing along with big budget fantasy tales, including "Maleficent," "Cinderella," "Peter and the Starcatchers" and "Magic Kingdom" that feature characters found in its theme parks. It has "Oz the Great and Powerful" bowing in March.
Old 12-07-12, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Alice in Wonderland: Revenge of the Hatter.... news, rumors, cast

I know many here didn't like the movie, but I thought it was great. If Burton and Depp are back, I'll be there.
Old 12-07-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The first film managed to gross a billion dollars thanks to a perfect storm of interests almost unrelated to the actual film itself - the notion of a live-action Alice film, Depp/Burton, Disney, 3D being incredibly hot at the time due to Avatar.

Unfortunately, it's a fucking mess. A pretty mess, but as unwatchable as anything I've ever seen.
Old 12-07-12, 11:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

My 9 year old daughter would beg to differ. She enjoyed it a lot, I thought it was just okay. I don't think it was a mess, but it definitely had something missing from it. As for a sequel, I'm sure my daughter will like it as well.
Old 12-08-12, 12:00 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I still can't believe the movie grossed over $1 billion. I mean, jesus christ, what movie was everyone else watching?
Old 12-08-12, 05:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i really liked the first, not sure why at the moment, but i would be down for another.
Old 12-08-12, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Didn't care much for the first movie. Based on the title, i'm even less interested in a sequel that continues to focus on Johnny Depp being weird and wacky.
Old 12-09-12, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Enjoyed the first (Didn't see it in the theaters and they got my $19.99 for the 3D BD on sale so not complaining about my $ contribution).
I'll watch a sequel. Not sure on "Revenge of the Hatter" will probably be changed to "Return of the Hatter" as they decide Hatter's don't seek revenge but the promo posters will go for big bucks in the future.
Old 12-09-12, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

What a horrible movie. Alice in Wonderland was just Burton and Depp just shitting in my eyes for however long the movie was. Just an ugly looking movie and the story is festered shit. Instead of forcing The Mad Hatter on us as a main character just because for some reasons, Johnny Depp has to play him, I'd rather see an Alice with Depp in drag. If your movie needs Depp, just fucking dress him up in drag. You pretty much already did the first time around.
Old 12-09-12, 02:23 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

But that's not ZANY enough!
Old 05-30-13, 07:39 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

James Bobin directed Disney‘s successful reboot The Muppets and is shooting the follow-up to that one now. Now he’s talking with the studio to helm Alice In Wonderland 2, another Disney sequel. This time it’s one of the studio’s all-time biggest moneymakers: the 2010 Tim Burton-directed pic starred Johnny Depp and it topped $1B in grosses worldwide.
Old 11-22-13, 03:00 PM

It's been brewing for a while now, and this afternoon it has become a lot more real: "Alice In Wonderland 2" now has a 2016 release date, with plans to send you down the rabbit hole once again.

Johnny Depp and Mia Wasikowska are returning to reprise their roles in the film, a followup to the 2010, billion dollar smash hit, which was the first post-"Avatar" 3D box office sensation (even though it was converted). No word yet on who will direct, but the project has original 'Alice' writer Linda Woolverton penning the script for the flick that will drop on May 27, 2016. Don't ask about plot details either, but we're sure they'll give plenty of opportunity for Depp to dress up. Speaking of which, with this announcement, it would appear that the already delayed "Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales"—originally set for a 2015 release—could be even further off at this point. Directors Joachim Ronning and Espen Sandberg could probably start looking for another gig.
Old 01-21-14, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Variety
Sacha Baron Cohen Eyes ‘Wonderland’ Sequel ‘Through the Looking Glass’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Sacha Baron Cohen is in early talks to join the cast of Disney’s sequel to “Alice in Wonderland,” “Through the Looking Glass.”

Johnny Depp and Mia Wasikowska will return for the “Alice” sequel, which will be directed by “The Muppets” helmer James Bobin.

Plot details are being kept underwraps. Pic will bow on May 27, 2016.

Baron Cohen has been developing a handful of projects, including the Louis Leterrier-directed “Grimsby” that is not expected to start filming until the end of the year — thus allowing Baron Cohen to squeeze in “Through the Looking Glass.”

He is also developing “The Lesbian” at Paramount, which he will star in and produce.

Baron Cohen’s commitment would also mean a reteam for him and Depp. The two had previously worked together on Warner Bros. “Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.”

The WME-repped Baron Cohen was last seen in “Les Miserables.”
Old 01-21-14, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I enjoyed the movie overall but disliked the ending. It felt rushed.
Old 03-13-14, 05:55 AM

Re: Through The Looking Glass (2016, Bobin) S: Wasikowska, Depp - Wonderland Sequel

Helena Bonham Carter looks ready return to her role as the evil Red Queen, as the actress is in final negotiations to join Johnny Depp and Mia Wasikowska in Disney’s “Through the Looking Glass,” the sequel to 2010′s “Alice in Wonderland.”

James Bobin is on to direct with Joe Roth returning as producer.

Plot details are being kept under wraps. Pic will bow on May 27, 2016.

Besides Bonham Carter, Depp and Wasikowska, it’s unknown at this time which actors in the original, such as Anne Hathaway and Alan Rickman, will reprise their roles in this installment.

The first pic grossed more than a billion dollars at the worldwide box office, including $334 million at the domestic B.O.

Bonham Carter has several films set to bow in the next year including “Suffragette,” with Carey Mulligan, and Disney’s “Cinderella,” in which she plays the Fairy Godmother.

She is repped by WME, the Schiff Co. and Conway van Gelder Grant.
http://variety.com/2014/film/news/he...ss-1201130477/

Last edited by dex14; 03-13-14 at 06:02 AM.
Old 03-13-14, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Through The Looking Glass (2016, Bobin) S: Wasikowska, Depp - Wonderland Sequel

Damn, thought it was going to be the further adventures of John Holmes.
Old 03-13-14, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Never heard of James Bobin. Why'd they pick him? And, more importantly, why isn't Burton directing this? It's not like he hasn't directed sequels to his own blockbusters before. (BATMAN RETURNS, anyone?)
Old 03-13-14, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Never heard of James Bobin. Why'd they pick him? And, more importantly, why isn't Burton directing this? It's not like he hasn't directed sequels to his own blockbusters before. (BATMAN RETURNS, anyone?)
He directed the 2 latest Muppet movies. And worked on Flight of the Concords and Ali G.
Old 03-13-14, 10:54 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Great, Johnny Depp giving another gothed out "performance."
Old 03-13-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

I didn't really care for the first one but if Burton isn't directing I'm a little more interested in the sequel.

It'll take a couple great trailers and terrific word of mouth to get me to see it in theaters though.
Old 03-13-14, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Most of the time I can see why a movie is a BO hit even if I wasn't that thrilled over it. The first movie, I thought was okay but it made over $1 billion ww. I just don't get how it was so popular or was it mainly 3D surcharges? I like Depp in pretty much most of his movies but never cared what he brought to this character.
Old 03-13-14, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I thought I read somewhere that Burton doesn't really like directing sequels and that the only reason he did Batman Returns is that Warner gave him full control of it whereas with the first one he was more of a hired hand (which is also in my opinion why Batman is infinitely better than Batman Returns was).

As far as a sequel to Alice in Wonderland I don't really care about seeing it. I liked the first one when I initially saw it but didn't think it was as enjoyable on subsequent viewings. I just don't really care much for Depp.
Old 03-13-14, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86
I thought I read somewhere that Burton doesn't really like directing sequels and that the only reason he did Batman Returns is that Warner gave him full control of it whereas with the first one he was more of a hired hand (which is also in my opinion why Batman is infinitely better than Batman Returns was).

As far as a sequel to Alice in Wonderland I don't really care about seeing it. I liked the first one when I initially saw it but didn't think it was as enjoyable on subsequent viewings. I just don't really care much for Depp.
It depresses me that this is what it has come to...
Old 03-13-14, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
It depresses me that this is what it has come to...
I've honestly always found him overrated. He has some good films (particularly Ed Wood and Sleepy Hollow, which are also some of the only Burton films I like) but he's never been an actor that draws me in.
Old 05-30-14, 07:20 AM

“The Amazing Spider-Man” villain Rhys Ifans has signed on to play Johnny Depp's father in “Alice in Wonderland 2,” TheWrap has learned.

James Bobin (“The Muppets”) is directing the sequel, which will find Mia Wasikowska and Helena Bonham Carter reprising their roles as Alice and the Red Queen, respectively. Sacha Baron Cohen will play a villain named Time.

Ifans is set to play Zanik Hightopp, the Mad Hatter's father, who cannot hide his bright-colored hair beneath a top hat. Ifans is actually four years younger than Depp in real life, though the actors’ ages don't really matter, as both will be covered in makeup and other prosthetics.

Mark Rylance had previously been in talks to play Zanik in the Joe Roth-produced sequel, which Disney will release on May 27, 2016.

Ifans, who recently starred opposite Wasikowska in “Madame Bovary,” will soon be seen alongside Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence in “Serena.” Ifans is also preparing to play Dylan Thomas in the indie movie “Dominion.” He's repped by UTA, Brillstein Entertainment Partners and 42.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.