Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Clerks III (2022, D: Kevin Smith)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Clerks III (2022, D: Kevin Smith)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-14, 01:16 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Clerks III (Smith, Sometime this Decade)

Looks like we'll be seeing this after the Canadian trilogy. Tusk led to Clerks III getting financed.

http://comicbook.com/2014/09/29/kevi...g-due-to-tusk/
Old 09-29-14, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Fuck the comedy, make it dark and kill either Randall or Dante in some horrific manner.
Old 09-29-14, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Looks like we'll be seeing this after the Canadian trilogy. Tusk led to Clerks III getting financed.

http://comicbook.com/2014/09/29/kevi...g-due-to-tusk/
This is Smith's latest "turning lemons into lemonade" rant: "You may hate TUSK, but it's the reason you'll be getting CLERKS 3!" Guess what, Mr. Smith? CLERKS 3 will bomb at the box office too. Nobody cares anymore.
Old 09-29-14, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Haven't we had enough of Dante, sulking about his pathetic life while Randall just bags on him about it.
Old 09-29-14, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
This is Smith's latest "turning lemons into lemonade" rant: "You may hate TUSK, but it's the reason you'll be getting CLERKS 3!" Guess what, Mr. Smith? CLERKS 3 will bomb at the box office too. Nobody cares anymore.
Somebody does.

I do and like his movies.
Old 09-29-14, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Somebody does.

Old 09-29-14, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
Somebody does.

Me too. I don't care about Tusk, but glad it helped him get Clerks 3 financed.
Old 09-29-14, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,174 Likes on 4,203 Posts

I wonder if Smith missed the point. He thinks people who note that Tusk failed at the box office were hoping it would fail because they hate him -- on the contrary, they like him and they just weren't interested in that sort of a movie. At least I'm not.

Last edited by Decker; 09-29-14 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-29-14, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 478 Likes on 314 Posts

I really hoped he'd make Clerks 3. Despite being underwhelmed by Clerks 2, I love the characters and I'm an eternal optimist, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt it'll be a good movie.

I tired watching that Jay and Silent Bob Groovy Cartoon movie and gave up after 5 minutes because I hated the animation style so much. I was worried he'd wind up doing Clerks 3 as a shitty internet cartoon, so I'm glad to hear it's back on (Unless he means he got financing to do a shitty internet cartoon).
Old 09-29-14, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved Clerks II so I'll be there day one. Although the last 20 minutes of 2 was just about perfect in my eyes.

Like I said in the Tusk thread, I still don't really know my opinion of the flick. I know I didn't hate it, on the contrary, I liked it but I still haven't really wrapped my head around it. I haven't stopped thinking about since I saw it the day that it came out, so in that regards, the flick was a smashing success.
Old 09-29-14, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Yeah I was a pretty big fan until he screwed over Carolla. If his pompous ass can't work with a guy that will sign on for pretty much anything, you know there is something wrong.
Old 09-29-14, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah I was a pretty big fan until he screwed over Carolla. If his pompous ass can't work with a guy that will sign on for pretty much anything, you know there is something wrong.
What was the feud about?
Old 09-29-14, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Is this it?

http://variety.com/2012/tv/news/kevi...ot-1118049335/

Seems like they talked about it together on Adam's podcast so they seem ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vvTtEIr64Y

As for me, I think people overreact to Smith and I still don't get the hate that he draws. Seems like any thread about his movies results in some strong negativity. Yeah he talks a lot and seems to hold petty grudges, but to me he still does it in the context of a normal dude in an otherwise shitty industry.

Last edited by fumanstan; 09-29-14 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-29-14, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't know how you write Jay and Silent Bob into a Clerks 3 without a gigantic shoe horn. I thought they were shoe horned into 2. The characters are just too unrealistic as slackers hanging out infront of convenient stores when they're pushing 40 in 2 and pushing 50 in 3.
Old 09-29-14, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
As for me, I think people overreact to Smith and I still don't get the hate that he draws. Seems like any thread about his movies results in some strong negativity. Yeah he talks a lot and seems to hold petty grudges, but to me he still does it in the context of a normal dude in an otherwise shitty industry.
Yeah, I don't get it either. I guess I'm a Smith apologist. I welcome anything in the View Askewnaverse -- if anything his movies in that realm are consistently entertaining.
Old 09-29-14, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah. Carolla had Smith on but they hardly worked it out. It was an awkward podcast to say the least. IIRC (didn't relisten to the YT vid), there was some dispute over an email or tweet about getting together to work on the project that went unanswered on Adam's part (he's claimed for years he doesn't email so it's silly for Kevin to assume he got said email and just ignored it) so Smith moved ahead without him. In the end it's he said vs. he said, but one person walked away with $500k and a development deal and the other did not.
Old 09-29-14, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I wonder if Smith missed the point. He thinks people who note that Tusk failed at the box office were hoping it would fail because they hate him -- on the contrary, they like him and they just weren't interested in that sort of a movie. At least I'm not.
Honestly though, some of his fans need to just get over it. I don't see what's so wrong with him branching out and trying other things than just raunchy comedies. Like I said in the Tusk thread I was actually losing interest in him for quite a while but after Red State and Tusk I can appreciate the fact that he's trying new things outside of his comfort zone and the View Askew universe.
Old 09-29-14, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recently watched Clerks 2 again, I have the hd-dvd, and was surprised how much I liked it. I have always liked the movie, but I hadn't watched it in a long time.

I think I will watch JASBSB next.
Old 09-29-14, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah. Carolla had Smith on but they hardly worked it out. It was an awkward podcast to say the least. IIRC (didn't relisten to the YT vid), there was some dispute over an email or tweet about getting together to work on the project that went unanswered on Adam's part (he's claimed for years he doesn't email so it's silly for Kevin to assume he got said email and just ignored it) so Smith moved ahead without him. In the end it's he said vs. he said, but one person walked away with $500k and a development deal and the other did not.
I tried to listen to it but the podcast was boring and annoying with both guys going off tangent and rambling about other things. From what I got out of it, basically they had an email exchange about working on a new show together, Smith says he called Adam but didn't leave a message, 6 days pass and Adam just emails "call me" but by then Smith moved on since he didn't hear anything and both of them get pissed at each other for not contacting each other. Either way at the end I don't think a show ever got made so I don't see any reason to hate Smith for it. And i'm a Carolla fan from listening to him on the radio before he got famous
Old 09-30-14, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

IMO Smith is one of those artist who is known for one thing and that's all the public wants out of him. He seems to want to make other films and be taken seriously, but not many care.

So back to the well, which in turn creates negativity.

In college I worshiped his films, now I just really enjoy Mallrats. I will watch Clerks III but he seems like such a woe is me person, its off putting and overshadows his work.
Old 09-30-14, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Agree; Smith knows what he is and never claimed to be more. But I do love all the venomous comments that people on this forum leave about him. Its great comedy.
Old 09-30-14, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Agree; Smith knows what he is and never claimed to be more. But I do love all the venomous comments that people on this forum leave about him. Its great comedy.
Sorry, but that's BS...every new project Smith does, he goes online and through his podcasts and proclaims "it's the best thing he's ever done" - then it turns out to be subpar or, at best, very average. Then he does it again with his next project. You can only cry wolf so many times before people call you on it. It's one thing to be enthusiastic about your work, it's another to keep claiming your next thing is "the best thing ever."

I like Kevin, and I enjoy his stand up/public appearances, but he sucks as a director (and he's not half the writer people think he is).
Old 09-30-14, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Sorry, but that's BS...every new project Smith does, he goes online and through his podcasts and proclaims "it's the best thing he's ever done" - then it turns out to be subpar or, at best, very average. Then he does it again with his next project. You can only cry wolf so many times before people call you on it. It's one thing to be enthusiastic about your work, it's another to keep claiming your next thing is "the best thing ever."

I like Kevin, and I enjoy his stand up/public appearances, but he sucks as a director (and he's not half the writer people think he is).
Well what do you expect him to say when promoting a new film? That it sucks and is the worst one he's done or something? Its just marketing the film to try and spread positive word of mouth and of course he or anyone in that position are going to talk themselves up.
Old 09-30-14, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I guess I don't expect Kevin Smith to act professional, so i'm not surprised when he says things otherwise. Yeah there's some ego there, but as I mentioned before he strikes me as having the ego of a regular nerd that got famous for dick and fart jokes and speaking his mind out loud. A lot of his audience grew up, but obviously he arguably didn't. I'm ok with him being a bit of a douche about things, because I don't expect otherwise from him other then being blunt over whatever is on his mind at the time.

Last edited by fumanstan; 09-30-14 at 04:37 PM.
Old 09-30-14, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I tried to listen to it but the podcast was boring and annoying with both guys going off tangent and rambling about other things. From what I got out of it, basically they had an email exchange about working on a new show together, Smith says he called Adam but didn't leave a message, 6 days pass and Adam just emails "call me" but by then Smith moved on since he didn't hear anything and both of them get pissed at each other for not contacting each other. Either way at the end I don't think a show ever got made so I don't see any reason to hate Smith for it. And i'm a Carolla fan from listening to him on the radio before he got famous
I relistened to about 30 minutes. Man it was a bore. I was a Smodcast guy first and Ace fan second around that time and towards the end Kevin gets all whiny and woe is me and just came off as petty. He also went to Telepictures and said he didn't want to work with Adam after a contract had already been signed. KS got a half mil and the development deal and left Adam out in the cold.

But yeah, they're both alpha males who have terrible communication skills when a half mil is on the line.

It is kinda funny though, Smith has feuded with Carolla, Prince, Bruce Willis, Howard Stern, Jenny McCarthy and complained about stars in his films like Linda Fiorentino & Jeremy London. There's only one common denominator in all these feuds.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.