Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Clerks III (2022, D: Kevin Smith)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Clerks III (2022, D: Kevin Smith)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-14, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Clerks III (Smith, Sometime this Decade)

http://www.slashfilm.com/clerks-3-ne...f-yoga-hosers/

Weinsteins don't want to fund it
Old 07-07-14, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kickstarter
Old 07-07-14, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm in.
Old 07-07-14, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My allegiance to Kevin Smith has waned over the past few years, but I would probably contribute to a Kickstarter to get the ball rolling.
Old 07-08-14, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
My allegiance to Kevin Smith has waned over the past few years, but I would probably contribute to a Kickstarter to get the ball rolling.
Old 07-08-14, 02:03 PM

Received 4,966 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Jesus Buddy Christ.... how many stories do I have to read about him this week!?
Old 07-08-14, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,319 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Jesus Buddy Christ.... how many stories do I have to read about him this week!?

Hey, he's an egomaniac. If you're reading or talking about him then his work is done.

Personally, I wouldn't help fund Clerks III. There's better shit out there that needs funding. I'm surprised that Weinsteins didn't want to give him 6 million for the flick. That's less than some films' marketing budget.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 07-08-14 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-08-14, 02:21 PM

Received 4,966 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Yea... I would give to the Kickstarter too. The Weinsteins wipe their ass with 6 million dollars. It's kind of insane and insulting that they couldn't give that out to someone they've been in business with for so long.
Old 07-08-14, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Kickstarter
I'd chip in for a Clerks III
Old 07-08-14, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

stretch goals = cameos from different characters from the View Askew Universe.
Old 07-08-14, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just saw this article from 2013:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...lerks-3-577315

The director explains why he's hesitant to use the crowdfunding site: "If I don't use my own money, I can always hit up some of my famous friends."

Even with the success of the Zach Braff and Veronica Mars movie projects, Kickstarter just isn't for Kevin Smith right now.

"I love the idea and I want to do it so desperately, but I think I've missed the window based on the fact that I do have access to materials, I do have access to money," he said to The Hollywood Reporter's Kim Masters on KCRW radio. "I don't know, I feel like I should leave that for the cats that really need it at this point."

Smith was elaborating on why he decided against using the crowdfunding website to help finance Clerks III. The Weinstein Co., he was informed by his lawyer, has the first look rights for the possible sequel.

"It feels like me trying to have a second bite at the apple by going, 'All right man, now I'm going indie again with this Kickstarter thing.' Like, the truth of it is, after all this time, 20 years later, I have access to money," Smith said in the interview. "If I don't use my own money, I can always hit up some of my famous friends."
So Smith has money to make it himself apparently, now that Weinstein has passed. Still hope he goes the KS way.
Old 07-08-14, 02:42 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,277 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Personally, I wouldn't help fund Clerks III. There's better shit out there that needs funding. I'm surprised that Weinsteins didn't want to give him 6 million for the flick. That's less than some films' marketing budget.
Agreed, but with the way he described his conversation with Weinstein, I think he's clearly setting it up for a Kickstarter thing, building hype. And if he does, he'll have no problem getting his fans to pony up the cash (and more).

V-Mars deserved my money. Clerks III does not.
Old 07-08-14, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

If there was a Kickstarter, I'd probably chip in. I've had zero interest in the other movies funded that he mentioned, but I still like Kevin Smith enough that i'd throw in my $20.
Old 07-08-14, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,227 Likes on 955 Posts

Fuck that. Kevin Smith has more money than most of us can ever dream of. He shouldn't have to raise it via Kickstarter if he really wants to make this film. I don't mind some of his work and would probably see Clerks III but stuff like that is getting old where big names are asking for money for projects.
Old 07-08-14, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,319 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Fuck that. Kevin Smith has more money than most of us can ever dream of. He shouldn't have to raise it via Kickstarter if he really wants to make this film. I don't mind some of his work and would probably see Clerks III but stuff like that is getting old where big names are asking for money for projects.
But it's all about using OTHER PEOPLE'S MONEY. It's the golden rule of business.
Old 07-08-14, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I saw a story about a guy getting $23,000 this week to make a potato salad via Kickstarter.

At this point, I couldn't care less where people want to throw their money. Not that I cared much before, but if Smith goes that route I doubt he'll have any issues getting what he wants.
Old 07-08-14, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was listening to Zach Braff on the radio and he addressed the notion that people have that because he was on a successful TV show in the past and made a fairly movie before that it was easy to get funding to make another movie (it's not). And hence the Kickstarter. I wouldn't expect Smith to throw $6 million of his own money in to a movie project.
Old 07-08-14, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
If there was a Kickstarter, I'd probably chip in. I've had zero interest in the other movies funded that he mentioned, but I still like Kevin Smith enough that i'd throw in my $20.
Same here.

I don't want Hollywood to rely on crowd funding to get films backed but if studios show a genuine disinterest in getting a project made that I'd like to see then I can spare a few bucks to contribute.
Old 07-08-14, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My whole beef with Kickstarter is it's one thing if it's a small project that has little to no viable options other than to raise money. When it's some like Kevin Smith or Zach Braff I'm sorry but I have a hard time buying they can't come up with the money somehow. Whether it's done with their own or negotiations with the studios or whatever there's a way for guys like that to do it a hell of a lot easier than if it was a small project.
Old 07-08-14, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 520 Likes on 342 Posts

Didn't people like Orson Welles and John Casevettes use to work in other people's projects in order to raise the money to finance their independent films? Not saying they wouldn't have used Kickstarter if it was around back then, but there is something about their fund raising that seems a lot more respectable.
Old 07-08-14, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

My whole beef with Kickstarter is it's one thing if it's a small project that has little to no viable options other than to raise money. When it's some like Kevin Smith or Zach Braff I'm sorry but I have a hard time buying they can't come up with the money somehow. Whether it's done with their own or negotiations with the studios or whatever there's a way for guys like that to do it a hell of a lot easier than if it was a small project.
I don't know, I imagine it's the difference between these guys having creative control over the project they want to make versus a studio calling the shots and making final calls on things.

Of course, that's the beauty of something like Kickstarter. You don't have to contribute if you don't want to, and there's nothing wrong with people that would and no reason to have "beef" about it. Worst case it doesn't get made, best case it does and you can evaluate the product/project on your own when it's complete without any impact to you
Old 07-08-14, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just feel like it's a way for studios to take advantage of fans in cases like this. Basically fans want something made but rather than fork out the money themselves studios rely on fans to raise money and reap the benefits of whatever profits are made. I guess whatever though, I'm just not a big fan of it personally.
Old 07-08-14, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 426 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Didn't people like Orson Welles and John Casevettes use to work in other people's projects in order to raise the money to finance their independent films? Not saying they wouldn't have used Kickstarter if it was around back then, but there is something about their fund raising that seems a lot more respectable.
Add to that John Sayles who takes writing gigs to fund his own projects.
Old 07-08-14, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just feel like it's a way for studios to take advantage of fans in cases like this. Basically fans want something made but rather than fork out the money themselves studios rely on fans to raise money and reap the benefits of whatever profits are made. I guess whatever though, I'm just not a big fan of it personally.
Other then helping with distribution though, isn't the idea that the studio wouldn't be reaping much of the benefits and profits?

That's the way the video game ones work, anyway. It's to make a game without depending on a publisher's money; although distribution is a little easier in that field.
Old 07-09-14, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 871 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I saw a story about a guy getting $23,000 this week to make a potato salad via Kickstarter.

At this point, I couldn't care less where people want to throw their money. Not that I cared much before, but if Smith goes that route I doubt he'll have any issues getting what he wants.
It's actually up over $57,000 now, with 24 days still to go:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...9/potato-salad

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.