Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Clerks III (2022, D: Kevin Smith)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Clerks III (2022, D: Kevin Smith)

Old 02-21-13, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Clerks III (Smith, Sometime this Decade)

/\ I don't think Smith is the only one he was difficult with. It seems much more feasible that Smith is the only one willing to talk about it.

That said, Willis did at least have good reason to be displeased with Smith's lack of camera knowledge.
Old 02-21-13, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Good point. I like Smith, but I found his whole rant on Bruce Willis to be very strange. It's fun when a celebrity is willing to talk out of school, but it seems like Willis has worked with a lot of great directors and keeps getting work. I wonder if Smith is the only one he was difficult with, or if it's Smith who's a nut and Willis the sane one.
Based upon John Moore's recent comments, it's safe to say that even as much of a hack that Smith is now, Willis is the insane one who demands 100% creative control despite being the star.
Old 02-22-13, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Based upon John Moore's recent comments, it's safe to say that even as much of a hack that Smith is now, Willis is the insane one who demands 100% creative control despite being the star.
John Moore is a bad example. Both John Moore and Kevin Smith made bad Bruce Willis movies so it still kind of seems to me that they didn't know what the hell they were doing thus pissing off Willis. If Terry Gilliam started bad mouthing Willis then I'd think maybe Willis is an asshole.
Old 02-22-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts

Smith's thoughts are that Willis is great with writer/directors but horrible if the one directing the pic is a hired hand.
Old 03-08-13, 09:48 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

THE BEGINNING OF THE END
20 years ago today, we started shooting CLERKS.
20 years later, with no plan or provocation, I jumped out of bed at 4:20 this morning and started writing CLERKS III.
It's been like hanging out with old friends.
And after 2 hours of tapping the keys and giggling, I have come to a conclusion...
CLERKS III will be the best film I'll ever make.

Old 03-08-13, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you guys talking about Willis? Is Todd Bridges going to be in Clerks III??

Last edited by Buttmunker; 03-08-13 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-08-13, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Asked about their relationship, Willis told Time Out: "Poor Kevin. He's just a whiner, you know? We had some personal issues about how we approached work.

"I don't have an answer for him. I'm never going to call him out and lay him out in public. Sometimes you just don't get along."

During production, Smith had branded Willis "undirectable" and "the most intimidating actor I've ever worked with".

He was later rumored to have called Willis "a f**king d**k" in his absence at the film's wrap party.

In his book Tough S**t: Life Advice from a Fat, Lazy Slob Who Did Good, Smith said of Willis: "He turned out to be the unhappiest, most bitter and meanest emo-bitch I ever met at any job I've held. And mind you, I worked at Domino's."

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/new...#ixzz2MxtRxZkl
Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook
Old 03-08-13, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only problem I see is that not enough time has gone by between the second film, and what will be the third.

Before, in the first film, they were in their 20s; in the second film, they were in their 30s. A lot happens between 25 and 35, and these two films caught it all! (the "Flying Car" sequence was a great interlude because it showed them before the "big changes" occurred in their lives.)

But after the second film, they're back to the front - except they own the store they're slaving in instead of just slaving there for a meager salary.

What else can be said? I don't particularily want to see them engaged or married (although that would be somewhat realistic, but Kevin Smith films are rarely that), but that's the logical next step in a person's life. Randal has to move out of his mother's house eventually, and a woman would be the key to such a move.

The new film will explore their 40s. The 40s are pretty hum-drum: you're married, with kids, and you are saddled with a mortgage and responsibilities. Fun stuff.

I would be more interested if Smith waited until the characters are 50 or even 60. Because, let's face it - your life doesn't really change all that much between 30-something and 50-something. You go to work, you come home. Maybe you play a little hockey if you're single, but if you're married, you're stuck at home with the wife and kid(s).
Old 03-08-13, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd expect Dante to be married. Clerks 2 left them owning the minimart. I guess Clerks 3 could be more of #1 but this time, they should be more concerned with what happens to the store since they are the owners. Maybe Randal could running the now DVD/Blu Ray rental shop attached but since people are switching to Netflix, that business is dying and he is doing all he can to keep it going.
Old 03-08-13, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Except that doesn't sound like Randal at all. If anything Netflix taking over is a boon to his laziness.
Old 03-08-13, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I can see him: "You can rent that movie for $5, or pay $9/month to Netflix and watch that and more movies...just saying!".
Old 03-08-13, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck
"Asked about their relationship, Willis told Time Out: "Poor Kevin. He's just a whiner, you know? We had some personal issues about how we approached work."
Kevin Smith is the king of the whiners. He still brings up the Too fat to fly nonsense. It's so fucking pathetic.
Old 03-08-13, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Cool. I'd rather this be a film.
Old 03-08-13, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Terminal
Kevin Smith is the king of the whiners. He still brings up the Too fat to fly nonsense. It's so fucking pathetic.
To be fair he fills a LOT of audio time and it was a pretty big deal to him. Something tells me if it happened to you and you were in front of a mic for 10+ hours a week talking about your life and interests it might come up from time to time.

As far as what Clerks 3 will be about he's said
Spoiler:
it will be about his love of movies
in a podcast he did on Clerks 3 a month or so ago. Since then it's turned into a book and then back into a movie so who knows if that's still the case.

Doubt he'll top Chasing Amy. If it's as good as Clerks 2 I'll be more than satisfied though.
Old 03-09-13, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Except that doesn't sound like Randal at all. If anything Netflix taking over is a boon to his laziness.
But I could see him realizing without the video store, his life has no meaning. Its his whole life. Sure he is lazy about it but he dreads not having it to be lazy about. Maybe if he realizes if he doesn't have it, he'd have to do something else which would be real work.
Old 03-11-13, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by resinrats
But I could see him realizing without the video store, his life has no meaning. Its his whole life. Sure he is lazy about it but he dreads not having it to be lazy about. Maybe if he realizes if he doesn't have it, he'd have to do something else which would be real work.
Not at this juncture of his life. He is co-owner of the store, and if the video aspect went under, he'd just work alongside Dante in the store. No big deal.
Old 03-11-13, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
As far as what Clerks 3 will be about he's said
Spoiler:
it will be about his love of movies
in a podcast he did on Clerks 3 a month or so ago. Since then it's turned into a book and then back into a movie so who knows if that's still the case.
I wouldn't mind if they did a parody mashup. Something like Community (the tv show) does all the time. The Clerks cartoon did it all the time, too (I think). Just don't make it all about John Hughes and Star Wars.
Old 03-11-13, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Isn't that pretty much what J&SBSB is?
Old 05-13-13, 09:15 AM

Kevin Smith
IT IS ACCOMPLISHED! CLERKS III, FIRST DRAFT!
At 137 pages, it plays like THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK of what's now become the Clerks Trilogy. And I am SO in love with it. Pictured is the script with the clapboard we used on the original CLERKS. Both the old clapboard and the old filmmaker are ready to go back to Jersey for the last time...

Last edited by dex14; 05-13-13 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-13-13, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

If it's the third movie how can it be " THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK of what's now become the Clerks Trilogy"? Or is he saying the second one was good but not great, like ROTJ?
Old 05-13-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I like Kevin Smith, but he needs a dose of humility when plugging his own stuff - maybe we wouldn't be so disappointed every time if he toned it down (okay, probably not, but still).
Old 05-13-13, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 597 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I like Kevin Smith, but he needs a dose of humility when plugging his own stuff - maybe we wouldn't be so disappointed every time if he toned it down (okay, probably not, but still).
We?

Mouse in your pocket?
Old 05-13-13, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
We?

Mouse in your pocket?
Tell Shannon Nutt about the rabbits again.
Old 12-31-13, 11:56 AM

Per a lengthy post on Smith's Facebook: he looks to start shooting in May of 2014.
Old 12-31-13, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Apparently, he has another film in the works: Helena Handbag (a.k.a "Christzilla") with humanity and the denizens of Hell banding together to take on gigantic Rapture Jesus.

Kevin, get on the wagon, man. You had a sterling comic mind once.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.