Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Clerks III (2022, D: Kevin Smith)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Clerks III (2022, D: Kevin Smith)

Old 09-15-22, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 872 Likes on 634 Posts
Re: Clerks III (2022, D: Kevin Smith)

Yeah, that Convenience Tour is pricy. I guess if you've never seen him in person, might be worth it. But I've seen him many times at San Diego Comic-con for free.
Old 09-15-22, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 666 Likes on 400 Posts

Agreed. My $80CDN ticket was pricey for Kev but for all the entertainment he's given me over the years via the films and podcasts, this is one guy I am fine tossing money at.
Old 09-15-22, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

Okay, let me start this by saying that I HATED the Reboot movie. I laughed maybe two or three times during it, but for the most part thought it was horrible. Hated Yoga Hosers (his worst film, I think), hated Tusk, was so-so on Red State....

I LOVED this movie. Not only do I think it's as good as the original CLERKS, there's parts of it that I think are better than the first film. There's an argument to be made, I think, that this is Kevin's best film. I knew the big spoiler going in, so that moment wasn't shocking to me (and knowing it, I could see how it was telegraphed throughout ever so subtly), but I was still moved by it.

Brian O'Halloran gives his best performance ever in this film - and one of the better performances I've seen this year in a movie.

CLERKS III is going to wind up making my top-10 list for 2022. It's that good.
The following 3 users liked this post by Shannon Nutt:
Brack (09-15-22), JeremyM (09-15-22), Xander (09-19-22)
Old 09-15-22, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 464 Likes on 239 Posts

This was ok. I'm a sappy person though and the sappy parts didn't really work for me. In truth, I have been kinda done with Smith for a while. I'm glad I saw it to finish out the trilogy, but if he never made another movie, I would be good with that.

I'm glad I was able to catch it at the Fathom Event screening instead of the tour. As much as I like listening to Kevin just talk, I'm not paying all that money to sit thru this again and then get an abbreviated live show.
Old 09-15-22, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 236 Posts

Has there been a date for this on digital posted yet?
Old 09-15-22, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Agree with Shannon, I really enjoyed it and thought both leads did well but O'Halloran really stood out. This was way better than it should have been.
The following users liked this post:
Shannon Nutt (09-17-22)
Old 09-16-22, 10:26 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Please tell me Elias talks about pillowpants and listerfiend.
John Pannozzi (09-16-22)
Old 09-16-22, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

I remember being really emotional towards the end of Clerks 2. Probably because itís totally me. Looking forward to seeing this over the weekend.
Old 09-17-22, 12:52 AM

Received 3,035 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Saw it tonight. I swung by the Quick Stop beforehand as well.

I liked it overall. Definitely more than the second one, which I don't even like that much. It hits the emotional beats well. I'm still kind of letting what happens sink in.

Smith did a 3.5 hour Q&A after. Man... can he talk. Some tidbits from that:
- He went through the original Clerks III script. That sounded terrible. And to use his words... it was Clerks fan fiction (as was Clerks II). This version is much more personal and steals from his life, obviously.
- The 4:30 Movie starts shooting next spring and Tusk$ (yes, with the dollar sign, according to Smith) is aiming for 2024.
- Moose Jaws was discussed as if it were still happening.
- It really sounds like Lionsgate is trying to work something out to co-finance and distribute with Universal to get Twilight of the Mallrats happening. Lionsgate seems to want to stay in business with him.
- Paramount (which now owns the Miramax library) wants to cash in on the Affleck/J. Lo recent news. They came to him about putting back all the cut J.Lo scenes from Jersey Girl back in for a Blu-ray re-release.
- Hit Somebody (now titled The Plumber) is still something that may come to fruition as an 8 episode series.

It sounds like they will be doing some cool events at the theatre when he fully takes over and they rebrand.
John Pannozzi (09-17-22)
Old 09-17-22, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Smith did a 3.5 hour Q&A after. Man... can he talk.
I always wondered if getting trapped in a room with Kevin Smith and Quentin Tarantino would be heaven or hell.
The following 2 users liked this post by TomOpus:
John Pannozzi (09-17-22), tommyp007 (09-17-22)
Old 09-17-22, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I always wondered if getting trapped in a room with Kevin Smith and Quentin Tarantino would be heaven or hell.
The Q&As would be great if wasnít for the fucking audience question askers.
The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
JeremyM (09-17-22), John Pannozzi (09-17-22)
Old 09-17-22, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
The Q&As would be great if wasnít for the fucking audience question askers.
Know what you mean. Going to SDCC for years, they can be super annoying or cool. I was an asker at the old DVD Producers panel. I even name dropped this place but it didn't come very smooth.
The following 2 users liked this post by TomOpus:
John Pannozzi (09-17-22), story (09-17-22)
Old 09-17-22, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whotony View Post
Has there been a date for this on digital posted yet?
I have the same question. With it leaving theaters on 9/18, assuming it'll be very soon...but haven't seen any official announce yet.
Old 09-17-22, 04:26 PM
Premium Member

Received 373 Likes on 262 Posts

I saw it yesterday evening, it was better than I thought it would be. I thought it was well done for the most part
Old 09-17-22, 04:52 PM

Received 1,100 Likes on 649 Posts

I can't make it to the live tour when it comes to our neck of the woods. If I go to the Fathom events, is it just the movie or is it also a Q&A afterward and/or other presentation on either end of the movie, too? Is the Q&A live or is it from a prerecorded tour stop already completed or something prerecorded specifically for this? The descriptions I've found are confusing to me.
Old 09-17-22, 05:31 PM

There is a short behind the scenes feature after the Fathom event screenings.

The Q&A events are only when Smith is present.

What I was describing was an event with Smith at the theatre he recently bought in NJ. This was not officially a part of the Convienance Tour.
Old 09-20-22, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to ITunes, the movie will be available digitally on October 14.
Old 09-20-22, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by seltzer77 View Post
According to ITunes, the movie will be available digitally on October 14.
I heard it's only available as a rental then. To actually buy it on digital, you need to wait until December 6, when the Blu-ray is also scheduled for release. So my guess is the rental may be at a premium price ($19.99 or $14.99) until December.
Old 09-21-22, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 297 Likes on 203 Posts

I liked it. It wasnít perfect. But it was good and a fitting addition to the view askewniverse. Marilyn Ghigliotti is a good actor. Iím glad they brought her back.

I saw it with KS in attendance. I got on the mic and asked a couple questions and got a good laugh from Kevin and the theater. It was fun.

Also, looks like Affleck is onboard with a Mallrats sequel. He was the only one who didnít do the photo op years back when they were trying to get it made, but Kevin said Ben wanted to work with him again and told him about Twilight of the Mallrats.

Apparently Moose Jaws, The 4:30 movie, Mallrats 2, Tusk 2 and Hit Somebody are all still possibilities.

The best news of the whole thing was when someone asked Kevin about the infamous Prince footage from 22 years ago and he said that the director of OJ Made in America is doing an 8 part doc on Prince and that the footage Kevin shot was so amazing and so unlike anything that exists of Prince that itís going to be the basis for an entire episode. Kevin already sat down for a 5 hour interview.

Even though his films can be hit or miss these days, Iíll always be rooting for him. Heís seems like, and by all accounts is, a really nice guy. Furthermore, as a stand up comedian (something he absolutely is, but not a lot of people refer to him as), heís one of the absolute best out there.
JeremyM (09-22-22)
Old 09-22-22, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I have to say, this movie really struck me in what is maybe an odd way. I am in my early 40s, but the last few years have had me facing my mortality--lost one of my good friends, my mother-in-law out of the blue (same type of heart attack as in the film), my dad (who I had a minimal relationship with due to his alcoholism, but still), my uncle that was always there for me before dementia hit him, my brother-in-law, the in-home daycare provider for all 3 of my kids over the years, and various other people I knew and liked. That stuff weighs on you. And then seeing how much older the returning actors were, not even referring to the leads necessarily but people like the Chewley's gum guy, Veronica, and so on. I don't know, it affected me more than seeing the returning actors in Star Wars, Cobra Kai, and so on did.

Seems like some of the critics say there isn't a ton of substance here, but the life-is-short message definitely hit home with me.
The following 3 users liked this post by JeremyM:
Crocker Jarmen (09-22-22), emachine12 (09-23-22), milo bloom (09-22-22)
Old 09-23-22, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM View Post
I have to say, this movie really struck me in what is maybe an odd way. I am in my early 40s, but the last few years have had me facing my mortality--lost one of my good friends, my mother-in-law out of the blue (same type of heart attack as in the film), my dad (who I had a minimal relationship with due to his alcoholism, but still), my uncle that was always there for me before dementia hit him, my brother-in-law, the in-home daycare provider for all 3 of my kids over the years, and various other people I knew and liked. That stuff weighs on you. And then seeing how much older the returning actors were, not even referring to the leads necessarily but people like the Chewley's gum guy, Veronica, and so on. I don't know, it affected me more than seeing the returning actors in Star Wars, Cobra Kai, and so on did.

Seems like some of the critics say there isn't a ton of substance here, but the life-is-short message definitely hit home with me.
Yeah. It hit me hard too. Iím approaching my mid 40s and lost my brother a year ago to COVID. Iím not in the greatest shape and neither is my best friend. The doctorís speech,
Spoiler:
Becky in the graveyard
, and the fact that we grew old with these people too was emotional.
JeremyM (09-24-22)