DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Woman leaves kitchen to name Cloud Atlas and John Carter the worst films of 2012 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/607002-woman-leaves-kitchen-name-cloud-atlas-john-carter-worst-films-2012-a.html)

Matthew Chmiel 12-04-12 05:18 PM

Woman leaves kitchen to name Cloud Atlas and John Carter the worst films of 2012

Link to IndieWire.

Originally Posted by IndieWire
Well, you can't have the best of the year without the worst, and while Cahiers Du Cinema got the ball rolling on the top films of the year, Time Magazine has dropped their rundown of the worst. And topping it all? The Wachowskis and Tom Tykwer's "Cloud Atlas."

To be certain, the movie was divisive, and even among The Playlist there were wildly differing opinions. Meanwhile, a European distributor said last month that maybe the movie was too smart for American audiences. But the new-agey, we're-all-connected motif didn't jibe with Mary Pols, who wrote that the conceit of the film was so much like "bong-fueled conversations I had in college that I almost ordered a Domino’s pizza afterward." She also thought for all the razzle dazzle, it was a "bloated fantasia of special effects and makeup wizardry." Ouch.

Check out her best of the worst below, and as always, let us know what you think in the comments section.

Time Magazine's Worst Films Of 2012

10. One For The Money
9. The Odd Life Of Timothy Green
8. What To Expect When You're Expecting
7. Alex Cross
6. The Lorax
5. This Means War
4. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
3. Hyde Park On Hudson
2. John Carter
1. Cloud Atlas

First: Who does this **** think she is? Armond White?

Second: Cloud Atlas was the best film (I've personally seen) this year along with other films like The Avengers, The Cabin in the Woods, The Dark Knight Rises, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World, and more.

Third: Did this **** not see such Academy Award winners like: The Amazing Spider-Man? Casa de mi Padre? The Devil Inside? Detention? Nitro Circus 3D: The Movie? Piranha 3DD? Red Tails? Savages? Snow White and the Huntsman? The Watch? I feel there were a lot worse films to be released in 2012 than Cloud Atlas or John Carter. Hell, even The Lorax.

Fourth: John Carter is completely underrated.

islandclaws 12-04-12 05:21 PM

Re: Woman leaves kitchen to name Cloud Atlas and John Carter the worst films of 2012

Anyone who thinks John Carter is a terrible film has not seen John Carter.

Drexl 12-04-12 05:22 PM

Re: Woman leaves kitchen to name Cloud Atlas and John Carter the worst films of 2012

She didn't see that Oogieloves thing, did she?

Shannon Nutt 12-04-12 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 11494029)

I would offer the same comment about Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

Surprised Battleship didn't make that list (although I thought it was cheesy fun).

bluetoast 12-04-12 05:27 PM

What a safe "worst of" list.

Matthew Chmiel 12-04-12 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 11494034)
I would offer the same comment about Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

While I didn't like Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, I don't think it's in the top ten worst films of the year. At least the 7.1 sound mix was rockin'.

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 11494038)
What a safe "worst of" list.

It's more of a "let's get page views and piss off the internet!" list.

cungar 12-04-12 05:56 PM

So the 50% of critics that didn't like it didn't see it?

islandclaws 12-04-12 06:05 PM

Of those 50%, I'm sure at least 35% would agree it's not a "terrible" film. Bad? Maybe to some, but not terrible.

Osiris3657 12-04-12 06:15 PM

Cloud Atlas was amazing, fuck the haters.

Atlas has a 63% fresh rating on RT (with 76% of users liking it), 8.2 on IMDb, and 55/100 on Metacritic for a "generally favorable" rating. It's a polarizing film for sure, you may not like it, but it is not a poorly made film.

Chrisedge 12-04-12 06:27 PM

I liked Snow White.

TheBang 12-04-12 06:32 PM

What's with the misogynistic thread title?

Tom Creo 12-04-12 06:35 PM

Why get your panties in a bunch? Quite whining and make your own list so people can call you "****".

PopcornTreeCt 12-04-12 06:40 PM

Stay classy, Matthew.

Dragon Tattoo 12-04-12 06:57 PM

So this what a fanboy breakdown looks like. I want to see someone put The Avengers on a worst-of list and see half the internet implode.

Arpeggi 12-04-12 07:09 PM

Calling someone a "****" makes you so cool.

Hokeyboy 12-04-12 07:33 PM

****!

MrSmearkase 12-04-12 07:35 PM

Thread Title of the Year! :up:

golden_rod 12-04-12 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 11494042)
It's more of a "let's get page views and piss off the internet!" list.

Saying Cloud Atlas was a shitty film won't do that, you dumb ****.

Giles 12-04-12 08:11 PM

+1

'The Watch' was flat out unnecessary and a waste of 8 dollars and talent (if you can call it that).

gryffinmaster 12-04-12 08:24 PM

:lol:

Cloud Atlas has some issues, sure, but it doesn't deserve to be anywhere near a "Worst Of ..." list. This is just strategic flame-baiting and hit-grabbing.

story 12-04-12 08:40 PM

Woman leaves kitchen to name Cloud Atlas and John Carter the worst films of 2012 Woman leaves kitchen to name Cloud Atlas and John Carter the worst films of 2012
That's a really unfortunate thread title and I don't think it or the insult the OP used is necessary. Really disappointing.

I haven't seen any of the movies on that list (much less many at all; a new baby in the house will do that) yet it looks like a lot of easy targets without much in terms of bold choices. :shrug:

Hokeyboy 12-04-12 08:53 PM

Hahaha no, but seriously....****! :banana:

Crocker Jarmen 12-04-12 08:56 PM

Stupid thread title, unbelievably stupid comment. Why highlighting her being a woman? You think she's a "****"?

I'm sure you'll laugh it all off, finding people's oversensitivity hilarious, but the truth is you must be a rotten person.

Hokeyboy 12-04-12 09:03 PM

Really but seriously...if the writer was a dude and Matthew called him a prick, would you still be this offended?

auto 12-04-12 09:04 PM

What do you guys expect from the Movie Pass guy? He's a joke. :lol: