Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hollywood Reporter Awards Roundtable / Variety Interviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-12, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Every awards season The Hollywood Reporter puts together these roundtable discussions with major players across the movie industry in specific fields. These tend to get past the generic talking points and actually lead to interesting conversations. I remember in 2011 Christopher Plummer went off on Terrence Malik, how little he enjoyed the experience of working with him.

- Ryan Coogler ('Black Panther'), Yorgos Lanthimos ('The Favourite'), Alfonso Cuarón ('Roma'), Spike Lee ('BlacKkKlansman'), Marielle Heller ('Can You Ever Forgive Me?'), and Bradley Cooper ('A Star Is Born').

Spoiler:

- Evgeny Afineevsky ('Cries From Syria'), Greg Barker ('The Final Year'), Yance Ford ('Strong Island'), Matthew Heineman ('City of Ghosts'), Amanda Lipitz ('Step'), Brett Morgen ('Jane') and Peter Nicks ('The Force').

- Kyle Balda ('Despicable Me 3'), Chris McKay ('The LEGO Batman Movie'), Lee Unkrich ('Coco'), Lore Forti ('Ferdinand'), Nora Twomey ('The Breadwinner'), and Tom McGrath ('Baby Boss').

- Guillermo del Toro ('The Shape of Water'), Angelina Jolie ('First They Killed My Father'), Patty Jenkins ('Wonder Woman'), Greta Gerwig ('Lady Bird'), Denis Villeneuve ('Blade Runner 2049'), and Joe Wright ('Darkest Hour').

- Tom Hanks ('The Post'), James Franco ('The Disaster Artist'), Gary Oldman ('Darkest Hour'), John Boyega ('Detroit'), Sam Rockwell (Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri'), and Willem Dafoe ('The Florida Project').

- Jessica Chastain ('Molly's Game'), Saoirse Ronan ('Lady Bird'), Mary J. Blige ('Mudbound'), Jennifer Lawrence ('mother!'), Allison Janney ('I, Tonya'), and Emma Stone ('Battle of the Sexes').

Spoiler:

- Lin-Manuel Miranda, Donald Glover, Issa Rae, and Damien Chazelle, hosted by Jon Favreau.

- Mel Gibson ('Hacksaw Ridge'), Oliver Stone ('Snowden'), Denzel Washington ('Fences'), Damien Chazelle ('La La Land'), Mira Nair ('Queen of Katwe'), and Barry Jenkins ('Moonlight').

- Rodrigo Prieto ('Silence,' 'Passengers'), Linus Sandgren ('La La Land'), John Toll ('Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk'), Charlotte Bruus Christensen ('Fences,' 'The Girl on the Train,'), Bradford Young ('Arrival') and Caleb Deschanel ('Rules Don't Apply').

- Seth Rogen ('Sausage Party'), Byron Howard ('Zootopia), Garth Jennings ('Sing'), Travis Knight ('Kubo and the Two Strings'), Mike Mitchell ('Trolls'), John Musker ('Moana') and Mark Osborne ('The Little Prince').

- Casey Affleck ('Manchester by the Sea'), Jeff Bridges ('Hell or High Water'), Andrew Garfield ('silence' 'Hacksaw Ridge'), Dev Patel ('Lion'), Joseph Gordon-Levitt ('Snowden'), and Mahershala Ali ('Moonlight').

Spoiler:
- Donna Langley (Universal Pictures), Tom Rothman (Sony Pictures Motion Picture Group), Rob Moore (Paramount Pictures), Stacey Snider (20th Century Fox), Alan Horn (The Walt Disney Studios), and Rob Friedman (Lionsgate Motion Picture Group).

- Ice Cube ('Straight Outta Compton'), Steve Golin ('The Revenant', 'Spotlight'), Simon Kinberg ('The Martian'), Christine Vachon ('Carol') and Scott Cooper ('Black Mass')

- Pete Docter (‘Inside Out’), Steve Martino (‘The Peanuts Movie’), Roger Allers (‘The Prophet’), Peter Sohn (‘The Good Dinosaur’), Charlie Kaufman (‘Anomalisa’), Richard Starzak (‘Shaun the Sheep Movie’) Group).

- Amy Schumer ('Trainwreck'), Aaron Sorkin ('Steve Jobs'), Emma Donoghue ('Room'), Tom McCarthy ('Spotlight'), Meg LeFauve ('Inside Out') and Nick Hornby ('Brooklyn').

- Quentin Tarantino ('The Hateful Eight'), Tom Hooper ('The Danish Girl'), Alejandro G. Inarritu ('The Revenant'), Ridley Scott ('The Martian'), Danny Boyle ('Steve Jobs') and David O. Russell ('Joy')

- Jennifer Lawrence ('Joy'), Brie Larson ('Room'), Kate Winslet ('Steve Jobs)', Cate Blanchett ('Carol', 'Truth'), Jane Fonda ('Youth'), Helen Mirren ('Trumbo', 'Woman in Gold'), Charlotte Rampling ('45 Years') and Carey Mulligan ('Suffragette')

- Will Smith ('Concussion'), Mark Ruffalo ('Spotlight'), Benicio Del Toro ('Sicario'), Joel Edgerton ('Black Mass', 'The Gift'), Samuel L. Jackson ('The Hateful Eight'), and Michael Cain ('Youth')

- Robert Richardson ('The Hateful Eight'), Alwin Kuchler ('Steve Jobs'), Danny Cohen ('The Danish Girl,' 'Room'), Linus Sandgren ('Joy'), Masanobu Takayanagi ('Black Mass,' 'Spotlight') and Mandy Walker ('Truth')

- Alex Gibney ('Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief'), Michael Moore ('Where to Invade Next?'), Liz Garbus ('What Happened, Miss Simone?'), Amy Berg ('Prophet's Prey', 'Janis: Little Girl Blue'), Chai Vserhelyi ('Meru'), and Kirby Dick ('The Hunting Ground')

Spoiler:
- Jim Gianopulos (Fox), Brad Grey (Paramount), Alan Horn (Disney), Donna Langley (Universal), Jonathan Sehring (IFC Films) and Kevin Tsujihara (Warner Bros.)

- Anthony McCarten (The Theory of Everything), Jon Favreau (Chef), Gillian Flynn (Gone Girl), Jonathan Nolan (Interstellar), Chris Rock (Top Five) and Graham Moore (The Imitation Game)

- Julianne Moore (Still Alice), Laura Dern (Wild), Patricia Arquette (Boyhood), Hilary Swank (The Homesman), Felicity Jones (The Theory of Everything), Reese Witherspoon (Wild) and Amy Adams (Big Eyes)

- Bonnie Arnold (How To Train Your Dragon 2), Jorge Gutierrez (The Book of Life), Travis Knight (The Boxtrolls), Tomm Moore (Song of the Sea), Dan Lin (The Lego Movie) and Don Hall (Big Hero 6)

- Eddie Redmayne (The Theory of Everything), Ethan Hawke (Boyhood), Timothy Spall (Mr. Turner), Benedict Cumberbatch (The Imitation Game) Channing Tatum (Foxcatcher) and Michael Keaton (Birdman)

- Angelina Jolie (Unbroken), Christopher Nolan (Interstellar), Richard Linklater (Boyhood), Mike Leigh (Mr. Turner), Bennett Miller (Foxcatcher) and Morten Tyldum (The Imitation Game)

- Peter Chernin, Eric Fellner, John Lesher (Birdman), Marc Platt, Cathleen Sutherland (Boyhood) and Emma Thomas (Interstellar)

- Roger Deakins (Unbroken), Dion Beebe (Into the Woods), Jeff Cronenweth (Gone Girl), Benoit Delhomme (The Theory of Everything) Matthew Libatique (Noah) and Dick Pope (Mr. Turner)

- Marco Beltrami (The Homesman), Danny Elfman (Big Eyes), John Powell (How To Train Your Dragon 2), Trent Reznor (Gone Girl) and Hans Zimmer (Interstellar)

Spoiler:
- Jake Gyllenhaal (Prisoners), Forest Whitaker (Lee Daniels' The Butler), Matthew McConaughey (Dallas Buyers Club), Jared Leto (Dallas Buyers Club), Josh Brolin (Labor Day) and Michael B. Jordan (Fruitvale Station)

The Writers - George Clooney and Grant Heslov (The Monuments Men), Jonas Cuaron (Gravity), Julie Delpy (Before Midnight), Nicole Holofcener (Enough Said), John Ridley (12 Years a Slave) and Danny Strong (Lee Daniels' The Butler)

The Directors - Steve McQueen (12 Years a Slave), Paul Greengrass (Captain Phillips), David O. Russell (American Hustle), Ben Stiller (The Secret Life of Walter Mitty), Alfonso Cuaron (Gravity) and Lee Daniels (The Butler)

The Cinematographers - Barry Ackroyd (Captain Phillips), Sean Bobbitt (12 Years a Slave), Bruno Delbonnel (Inside Llewyn Davis), Phedon Papamichael (Nebraska) and Stuart Dryburgh (The Secret Life of Walter Mitty)

The Producers - David Heyman (Gravity), Mark Wahlberg (Lone Survivor), Charles Roven (American Hustle), Pam Williams (The Butler), Michael De Luca (Captain Phillips) and Dede Gardner (12 Years a Slave)

The Actresses - Octavia Spencer (Fruitvale Station), Emma Thompson (Saving Mr. Banks), Julia Roberts (August: Osage County), Oprah Winfrey (Lee Daniels' The Butler), Lupita Nyong'o (12 Years a Slave), and Amy Adams (American Hustle)

Breakthrough Performers - Olivia Wilde (Drinking Buddies), Adele Excharpoulos (Blue Is the Warmest Color), Kathryn Hahn (Afternoon Delight), Greta Gerwig (Francis Ha), David Oyelowo (Lee Daniels' The Butler), Barkhad Abdi (Captain Phillips)

The Studio Executives - Fox's Jim Gianopulos, Universal's Donna Langley, Disney's Alan Horn, Paramount's Rob Moore and Sony Pictures Classics' Tom Bernard

The Documentary Directors - Errol Morris (The Unknown Known), Lucy Walker (The Crash Reel), Alex Gibney (The Armstrong Lie, We Steal Secrets: The Story of Wikileaks), Morgan Neville (20 Feet From Stardom), Teller (Tim's Vermeer), James Toback (Seduced and Abandoned)

The Casting Directors - Juliet Taylor, Ellen Lewis, Patricia DiCerto, Laura Rosenthal and Jennifer Euston

The Composers - Hans Zimmer (12 Years a Slave, Rush), Christophe Peck (Frozen), Henry Jackman (Captain Phillips), Thomas Newman (Saving Mr. Banks), Steven Price (Gravity) and Alan Silvestri (The Croods)

Spoiler:

The Writers - Judd Apatow, Mark Boal, David Magee, Chris Terrio, Michael Haneke and John Krasinski

The Actresses - Anne Hathaway, Amy Adams, Sally Field, Naomi Watts, Rachel Weisz, Helen Hunt and Marion Cotillard

The Actors - Alan Arkin, John Hawkes, Jamie Foxx, Matt Damon, Denzel Washington and Richard Gere

The Executives - Michael Barker of Sony Pictures Classics, Rob Friedman of Lionsgate Motion Picture Group, Jim Gianopulos of Fox Filmed Entertainment, Jeffrey Katzenberg of DreamWorks Animation, Donna Langley of Universal Pictures and Paramount's Rob Moore

The Directors - Quentin Tarantino (Django Unchained), David. Russell (Silver Linings Playbook) , Ben Affleck (Argo) , Ang Lee (Life of Pi) , Tom Hooper (Les Miserables) and Gus Van Sant (Promised Land)

The Producers - with Grant Heslov (Argo), Philippa Boyens (The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey), Eric Fellner (Anna Karenina and Les Miserables), Stacey Sher (Django Unchained), Joanne Sellar (The Master) and Bruce Cohen (Silver Linings Playbook)

The Agents - with Hollywood agents Maha Dahkil (Motion Picture Agent, CAA), Leslie Siebert (Managing Partner, Gersh), Debbee Klein (Co-head Literary Department, Paradigm), Lorrie Bartlett (Partner, ICM), Sharon Jackson (Partner WME), Blair Kohan (Motion Picture Agent, UTA)

Last edited by sauce07; 01-14-19 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-26-12, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
re: The Hollywood Reporter Awards Roundtable / Variety Interviews Thread

Thanks, these are always fun.
Old 11-26-12, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome. I love these. I always end up loving the one they do for the actors the most. Especially if they get a great old actor. Duvall and Plummer have made those enjoyable, much more so, for me.
Old 11-26-12, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy shit, this interviewer won't shut the fuck up about Zero Dark Thirty. Stop hounding the guy.
Old 11-26-12, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

He probably just saw ZDT with everyone else so it's fresh in his mind.
Old 11-26-12, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

He hasn't seen it though, he's asking the writer whether we see Bin Laden in the movie. I liked the responses, but the interviewer talks over other people before they finish way too much. And not in a good way like Howard Stern.
Old 11-26-12, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He does question Mark Boal heavily on ZDT but I can't blame him, the project is fascinating and very little detail has come out about it. Plus it sparked an interesting conversation about portraying controversal subjects on film and how you go about it.
Old 11-26-12, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Actors are also up as well, this was really good: Alan Arkin, John Hawkes, Jamie Foxx, Matt Damon, Denzel Washington and Richard Gere.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/vid...terview-387453
Old 11-26-12, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I realize they can't just get everyone they want, but the actors lineup seems kind of disappointing without Daniel Day-Lewis or Joaquin Phoenix. The directors one should be good, as they seem to get most of the people that end up with the nominations.

BTW, the movie that Marion Cotillard hated doing was The Last Flight, right?
Old 11-26-12, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The actresses roundtable was pretty good too except for Amy Adams's freakout about the paparazzi. I really like her but that...was weird.
Old 11-27-12, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
BTW, the movie that Marion Cotillard hated doing was The Last Flight, right?
Yes

I just added The Executives roundtable to the original post
Old 11-28-12, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watched the first 20 minutes of the director roundtable so far. Fantastic.
Old 11-28-12, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Watching the Directors one. Stellar.
Old 11-28-12, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Love listening to Tarantino talk about film. Sounds like he doesn't want to risk blemishing his filmography so we may not be getting many more films from him.
Old 11-28-12, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, loved that Director's roundtable, could have watched them talk all day long. On to the Execs.
Old 11-28-12, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tarantino's 6 hour HBO miniseries
Old 11-28-12, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Would have been awesome to have Spielberg in there...it's not too soon for another session is it?
Old 11-28-12, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I was really impressed by David O. Russell. Dude had to hit rock bottom in all facets of his life so that he could see that he wasn't hot shit after Three Kings. Dude seems humbled now. I hope he stays that way, because that Huckabees fiasco is messed up.

Affleck was the bomb, too.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 11-29-12 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-29-12, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe I misunderstood or am taking it poorly out of context, but I was turned off when David O. Russell mentioned he doesn't read or pay attention to any reviews. Isn't criticism and learning where you can improve or what you can continue to do well part of any job? Doesn't it help in the long-run to hear people from outside the studio or those close to you give their opinion?
Old 11-29-12, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by gp1086
Maybe I misunderstood or am taking it poorly out of context, but I was turned off when David O. Russell mentioned he doesn't read or pay attention to any reviews. Isn't criticism and learning where you can improve or what you can continue to do well part of any job? Doesn't it help in the long-run to hear people from outside the studio or those close to you give their opinion?

Yeah, it's in the context. I wish I could articulate it better myself, but I just read Seth Godin's new book and in it he mentions riding high after speaking to about 10,000 people at a convention and as the twitter and social media comments started pouring in on how wonderful his speech was he read the one negative comment that popped up and became fixated on that ONE negative comment, which derailed him for a bit afterward.

I'm thinking that's where Russell was going with his no longer reading negative reviews.
Old 11-29-12, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Directors' convo was indeed awesome.

Interesting to hear QT say that Death Proof wasn't just a commercial failure, but at an outright failure.

And hell, I certainly would've had some interest if Ang Lee ended up granting that journalist's wish:

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I was really impressed by David O. Russell. Dude had to hit rock bottom in all facets of his life so that he could see that he wasn't hot shit after Three Kings. Dude seems humbled now. I hope he stays that way, because that Huckabees fiasco is messed up.
By the end of the interview, he had won back my respect too. Now get that Russ Meyer project going, Dave!
Old 11-29-12, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 281 Likes on 180 Posts

Apparently Tarantino wants out of the business.

<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=1993159562001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hollywoodreporter.com%2Fvideo%2Fdirectors-quentin-tarantino-leaving-film-394722&playerID=1257205077001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAC3bNtw~,c0hgCOyLwy4Lde_FJ6Ombu5W_uQUkX83&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1993159562001&linkBaseURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hollywoodreporter.com%2Fvideo%2Fdirectors-quentin-tarantino-leaving-film-394722&playerID=1257205077001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAC3bNtw~,c0hgCOyLwy4Lde_FJ6Ombu5W_uQUkX83&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="560" height="315" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>
Old 11-29-12, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah. He said the same thing in the 2009 roundtable, that he's leaving by age 60 maybe sooner if digital takes over completely. Surprised that the interviewer himself didn't know that even if he wasn't in that roundtable. Or that for example, Denzel Washington doesn't really watch movies. It's strange for sure, but he's said it before.

Similarly it seems like a lot of them had a hard time understanding what Tarantino meant when they were sitting right next to him.
Old 11-29-12, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I like how David O. Russell looks like he's gonna kill Tarantino at around the 3:30 mark after Russell makes a joke about his own well known temper, and Tarantino proceeds to say how he doesn't think anyone can respect a filmmaker who does that shit.
Old 12-02-12, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This isn't THR but it's an L.A. Times Animator's roundtable. Haven't seen it yet, but I bet there will be more roundtables here:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5h93zu_wGa0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.