Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Now You See Me (June 2013, Dir: Louis Leterrier) (Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Ruffalo)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Now You See Me (June 2013, Dir: Louis Leterrier) (Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Ruffalo)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-13, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Now You See Me (June 2013, Dir: Louis Leterrier) (Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Ruffalo)

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I read that this movie actually beat After Earth for Friday. Sure that was a surprise.
It beat it for the weekend as it got 2nd overall. It opened higher than most projections.
Old 06-03-13, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Now You See Me (June 2013, Dir: Louis Leterrier) (Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Ruffalo)

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Fun movie, but yeah like others said, some parts of the plan were stretching it.
I enjoyed it. Great popcorn flick. The first act was basically a throwaway as you saw most of it in the trailer. The second act had me on the edge of my seat wondering what they would pull off, and how they did it.

Parts that didn't work for me:

Spoiler:

Jack Wilder's fake death with the car. There's no way they could have that all planned in advance. They would have planned the FBI fight and then have him escape in a car and get away. Did I miss something?

Also, it was hard to believe Mark Ruffalo's character was just putting on an act the whole time. Why would he appear so frustrated in scenes by himself if he was truly the mastermind behind the whole thing?

Old 06-03-13, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Movie was pretty interesting till the ending. Blah, they were better off leaving it unexplained.
Old 06-07-13, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thoughts:

Spoiler:
Really enjoyed it until reveal of Ruffalo. HATED that. Also, tons of innocent people could have gotten killed during this whole scenario. That kinda distracted me as well for some reason.

Overall a mild recommendation but expect to be disappointed in the ending.
Old 06-09-13, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Saw this today.

Basically this was like a 2 hour version of the TNT series Leverage except with magicians.

For the most part I enjoyed it. It was a light caper flick with lots of good actors and some decent action.

I was kind of lukewarm on the big twist at the end.

Spoiler:
Ruffalo being the mastermind behind everything.

Plus, the explanation for Jack Wilder faking his death in that car chase sequence was way out there. How many people could have gotten killed because of that stunt?

Overall, if your bored and need something to see it's a decent matinee if you can see it for under $10. But, I wouldn't go out of my way to see this. Without all the A-list actors, this could have been an episode of Leverage.

I would give this a B- mainly because of the cast.
Old 06-09-13, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoiler:
Did everyone pick the 7 of diamonds during Eisenberg's opening card trick?
Old 06-10-13, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Haven't seen this yet, but just saw the Arrested Development episode where GOB says "everyone loves magicians" then there's a flash to a newscast "A recent survey shows that magicians are the number one most hated performers..." LOL.
Old 06-10-13, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked the idea and the concept, and the tricks were well done. But I agree with many here in that the twist ruined the movie for me.
Old 06-18-13, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by filmerp
Spoiler:
Did everyone pick the 7 of diamonds during Eisenberg's opening card trick?
I did but it was easy to see why everyone would. It appeared on the screen longer than the other cards, a good beat or two extra. Just by the length of it on the screen I knew it would be the card he called out.
Old 06-19-13, 08:02 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
Thoughts:

Spoiler:
... Also, tons of innocent people could have gotten killed during this whole scenario. That kinda distracted me as well for some reason.

Funny, but... (Man of Steel spoiler ahead...)
Spoiler:
the same could be said about the ending of MoS - the fight between Zod and Kal.

I'm only saying 'cause I saw a double feature on Saturday, MoS then NYSM.
Old 08-25-13, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I give kudos to Leterrier, I'm not a fan of his but even though the screenplay isn't the greatest, he keeps the tone light and pacing up, and it is a very glossy movie. This is a perfectly good rainy day movie that I think will be very popular on video (past its unexpected box office success - $274m worldwide, $116m domestic).

The cast is uniformly excellent, though they should have focused more on the Four Horsemen, they almost feel like secondary characters.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-25-13 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-25-13, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

This movie made way more than I would've predicted. I liked the movie but would've enjoyed it more if the tricks weren't so obviously CGI.
Old 08-26-13, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Saw this last night and it was entertaining, but a few things distracted the hell out of me. Eisenberg was obviously wearing a retainer or had dental work done during filming, because when he would talk he'd sound like Daffy Duck in a few instances.

I don't like Dave Franco. He comes off as a smug twerp thinking he's all hard and shit. I figured that shtick was just for the 21 Jump Street movie but can now see that that's how he really is in everything. He's a jagoff.

Laurent was great and I didn't mind the final payoff.
Old 08-26-13, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts

I'm looking forward to this one hitting disc so I can watch it again. I'm sure I missed stuff the first time in the theater. Regarding the twist:

Spoiler:
I knew Ruffalo was in on it at the scene where the blond pointed out his watch during the show.
Old 09-04-13, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Just got this as a Redbox rental. Really enjoyed the flick and didn't hate the twist ending (mainly because I started to suspect it towards the tail end). Also, it was weird that Elias Koteas appeared in a picture but not the actual movie. I wonder if he appears in any deleted scenes (the rental disc has no special features).

ANyhoo, I might pick it up once it's under $20 because it was light breezy fun.
Old 09-04-13, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He's briefly in a flashback in the Extended version.
Old 09-04-13, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
He's briefly in a flashback in the Extended version.
Thanks. How was the extended version? Better? Worse? Or pretty much the same?
Old 09-04-13, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Redboxed this last night. Nothing to write home about, one cool set piece when Ruffalo has the showdown with the magician leading into the chase. Mélanie Laurent was luminous, and she and Ruffalo had great chemistry. If Tarantino has given her a start in American movies like Christoph Waltz, then more power to him, whatever you say about the man, he sure can cast. The version I watched was presumably the extended version, it felt a bit long, wonder what was new. Freeman and Caine only had one scene together, but talk about two heavyweights colliding. Freeman explains a bunch of stuff as usual. Busy, noisy, loud, flashy, superficial, lightweight, but fun enough. Last-act twist was kind of stupid and illogical, but made about as much sense as anything else in the movie at that point. Two DPs? Wonder why. Looked good, looks like Leterrier is evidently the one from the Besson stable who'll have the most success after all is said and done, at least commercially. Nothing worth getting excited about, good cast though. Disposable but entertaining.
Old 09-05-13, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Thanks. How was the extended version? Better? Worse? Or pretty much the same?
I never saw the theatrical unfortunately so I cannot compare.
Old 09-05-13, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 846 Likes on 591 Posts

I agree with some of the thoughts on this film.

Some of the tricks were way too far out there. Especially the cars on the bridge. Pulling it off without killing or hurting anyone badly is extremely unlikely and I'd throw their asses in jail just for that.
The twist was dumb - it makes you wonder why that character was so hell-bent on catching them even when no one was around for him to act that way.

And Dave Franco isn't much of an actor. He sounds like he's talking while his jaws are wired shut and he's pretty wooden in his delivery. Surprised they thought he was good enough for that big a role.
Old 09-05-13, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 728 Likes on 532 Posts

Maybe they can explain the stupid secret society and why any magician would care to be a part of it, enough that they blindly do whatever is asked of them in order to join. Then they can all appear on Penn and Teller's Bullshit show.
Old 09-07-13, 05:28 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Film was great until the last 20 mins which ruined it

Good performances from a likeable cast
Old 10-12-13, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

For some reason this was off my radar during the theatrical window, but in the DVD publicity the big cast caught me eye, and I'm always a sucker for a caper flick. I thought it was light fun, like Ocean's 11 with magic, right down to the music, cast, and stunt explanations (except unlike Ocean's 11, the explanations come multiple times throughout the movie). I didn't see the twist coming and didn't mind it either. I had no idea who Dave Franco was.

The Netflix BD was 116 minutes, so I guess that's not the extended version (which IMDb says runs 125). No special features either. I am interested in seeing what the extra footage entails...

Solid B grade.
Old 10-14-13, 01:45 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Light interesting movie, for one time to watch
Old 10-27-13, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love heist and caper flicks so I knew I'd enjoy this. Had a feeling about the reveal but as someone else said, there were scenes he was alone and still looked confused. Definitely a check your brain at the door kind of movie. As far as the CGI goes. Is there some union requirement that at least a % of a movie has to be done with CGI? It seems they employ it even when they don't need to.

This was a rental but I'd like to see it again some time. I know there was a lot I missed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.