Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015, McQuarrie) S: Cruise, Rhames, Renner, Pegg

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015, McQuarrie) S: Cruise, Rhames, Renner, Pegg

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-15, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015, McQuarrie) S: Cruise, Rhames, Renner, P

Question about the stars/directors that go to all these screenings. Do they actually sit there watching the film or just duck out after it starts or stay out of the theater until it ends to do a talk. They do all these showing and at least if it was me, I would be soo sick of seeing it over and over.

Back when my family first got a VCR, I recorded Short Circuit. Having a VCR was all new to me and I saw the movie probably 6-7 times in a short amount of time. Totally burntout on that film. Never want to see it again. Its been 25 years since I've seen it and if given a choice between watching it now or going to the dentist, I'd probably pick dentist.
Old 07-26-15, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015, McQuarrie) S: Cruise, Rhames, Renner, P

Well Tom showed up as well!

He and McQ told some great stories about making the film. We did not get to ask any questions just the interviewer. Tom was great even stayed around after to sign some autographs and shake some hands.

The interview will be on this podcast soon if you want a listen,

As for the movie, I found it meh. Your standard action flick but noting special that made it stand out.

The night was fun though and everyone had a great time.

Last edited by TheGuy; 07-26-15 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-26-15, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I'm off Friday through Sunday this week so I'll probably catch this first and then Vacation

Really looking forward to this. It's amazing this franchise is approaching 20 years now.
Old 07-27-15, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Question about the stars/directors that go to all these screenings. Do they actually sit there watching the film or just duck out after it starts or stay out of the theater until it ends to do a talk. They do all these showing and at least if it was me, I would be soo sick of seeing it over and over.
McQ said that when he arived during the last 10 minutes he was happy to hear all the laughter and applause, so I assume they arrive later.
Old 07-28-15, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a blast with the flick, bit rough around the edges but I love the Mission movies and this was no exception. Cruise and McQuarrie had a shit ton of press to do today in New York and Toronto, so the Q&A was relatively short but fun. Got them both to sign my Edge of Tomorrow steelbook

Old 07-28-15, 04:12 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

This is still tracking at only $40mil. I find that unbelievable, especially with how well the last one did. Hopefully the estimates are way off.
Old 07-29-15, 12:30 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/du1-ScWU-p0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-31-15, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Chris Farley edition.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GVz5Cumo4Y8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-31-15, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Saw it this afternoon in a packed house. It is a lot of fun and everyone I was with enjoyed it. Seemed the audience really enjoyed it as well.
Old 07-31-15, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Saw this today at The Village in Meridian and it was off the hook. In Dolby ATMOS - VIP 21 hall. Man, Village Cinema makes ArcLight pale in comparison.

Rebeca Ferguson was epic - and hot.

Sign me up for MI6.
Old 08-03-15, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I went to see it last Thursday afternoon at a packed screening. It was a total blast from start to finish and i found it had very few moments that i was feeling bored. As much as i loved Ghost Protocol i think i might prefer this one. The sound in the new cinema i went to was amazing and really added to the movie. I have loved all the movies in the series, even though the second movie was a mis-step it still had its moments as well. Tom Cruise is great in this role and you can see he loves playing the character. I cannot wait for Mission Impossible 6.
Old 08-03-15, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Saw this today at The Village in Meridian and it was off the hook. In Dolby ATMOS - VIP 21 hall. Man, Village Cinema makes ArcLight pale in comparison.
Are you visiting Boise, or have you moved from LA? But yeah, The Village Cinema is all kinds of awesome, and on Friday we had a free outdoor concert before the movie, too. Pretty sweet.
Old 08-03-15, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Are you visiting Boise, or have you moved from LA? But yeah, The Village Cinema is all kinds of awesome, and on Friday we had a free outdoor concert before the movie, too. Pretty sweet.
I was just visiting. I'm glad we picked Village over Edwards. There's no way Edwards Cinema can compare to the Village experience.
Old 08-04-15, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow! This was a great summer movie. I thought it had a decent enough plot and the action scenes were fantastic (I especially liked the opening plane scene even though it is somewhat spoiled by the trailers, and the later motorcycle chase scene). Also Rebecca Ferguson as Ilsa was amazing - I hope she gets more action roles like this in the future.

For a movie franchise in which I don't even like the first 2 movies and was disappointed by the 3rd one (#1 was too convoluted and it killed all the great characters from the tv show; #2 was too "John Woo-ish" even for John Woo; and #3 was trying so hard to be extra gritty that a lot of it wasn't very enjoyable to watch), I'm amazed how much I liked the 4th movie and this new 5th movie in the series.

If I had to decide which movie is best in the series, I would have to give a tie to #4 and #5 until I can rewatch both back-to-back.
Old 08-04-15, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Sign me up for MI6
By MI6, do you mean the next movie featuring IMF agent Ethan Hunt or the upcoming new movie Spectre featuring MI6 agent James Bond?

Old 08-04-15, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 624 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
Wow! This was a great summer movie. I thought it had a decent enough plot and the action scenes were fantastic (I especially liked the opening plane scene even though it is somewhat spoiled by the trailers, and the later motorcycle chase scene). Also Rebecca Ferguson as Ilsa was amazing - I hope she gets more action roles like this in the future.

For a movie franchise in which I don't even like the first 2 movies and was disappointed by the 3rd one (#1 was too convoluted and it killed all the great characters from the tv show; #2 was too "John Woo-ish" even for John Woo; and #3 was trying so hard to be extra gritty that a lot of it wasn't very enjoyable to watch), I'm amazed how much I liked the 4th movie and this new 5th movie in the series.

If I had to decide which movie is best in the series, I would have to give a tie to #4 and #5 until I can rewatch both back-to-back.
M:i only featured one character from the TV series. Although the original script did call for the demise of every character from the show. That's why Peter Graves and Martin Landau turned it down. That and Landau disliked that it was to be an action movie instead of a con movie.
Old 08-04-15, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

By MI6, do you mean the next movie featuring IMF agent Ethan Hunt or the upcoming new movie Spectre featuring MI6 agent James Bond?

Both! Actually I was referring to Mission Impossible 6.
Old 08-04-15, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
M:i only featured one character from the TV series. Although the original script did call for the demise of every character from the show. That's why Peter Graves and Martin Landau turned it down. That and Landau disliked that it was to be an action movie instead of a con movie.
Ok, I wasn't clear enough but the thing that really bugged me was what the movie did to the main character Jim Phelps

this character was played by Peter Graves in the M:I tv series

but was played by Jon Voight in the 1996 M:I movie

And what the movie did to this character was entirely a "fuck you" to fans of the original tv series and completely unnecessary. Why not just write a new character for the movie instead?
Old 08-04-15, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I knew you were referencing Jim Phelps and how he was butchered in the movie, dhmac. I just thought you believed the rest of the initial team were characters from the series as well.

Incidentally, Peter Graves was willing to cameo as a retired Jim Phelps who suggests someone to recruit in his stead. Given the constant script changes (as well as on-set "rewrites") it's unknown if he would suggest "Jim" or Ethan in said hypothetical scene.

Last edited by RocShemp; 08-04-15 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-05-15, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I knew you were referencing Jim Phelps and how he was butchered in the movie, dhmac. I just thought you believed the rest of the initial team were characters from the series as well.
Yeah, I thought that more of the original team killed early on was based on characters from the tv show, but mainly it's what the movie did to Jim Phelps that really bugged me. It was like if a James Bond movie had a plot twist in which M turns out to be the villain killing British agents.

Incidentally, Peter Graves was willing to cameo as a retired Jim Phelps who suggests someone to recruit in his stead. Given the constant script changes (as well as on-set "rewrites") it's unknown if he would suggest "Jim" or Ethan in said hypothetical scene.
Now that would've helped the movie at least in respect to the tv series, but the convoluted plot would still be a problem with the film.
Old 08-05-15, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The plot itself was rather easy to follow. And I feel that the vault scene is still the most tense setpiece of the entire franchise. My only issue (outside of the butchering of Phelps) was how
Spoiler:
Kristing Scott Thomas' character died. No way could Jean Reno have stabbed her. Even with the shot from the flashback of her getting closer to the fence. Unless Reno's character was secretly a villanous Mr. Fantastic (or Elongated Man), there's no way he could have grabbed her.
Old 08-09-15, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had forgotten about this but stumbled across it again today. It's Ben Stiller's comedy bit as Tom Crooze along with the real Tom Cruise in a recording for the MTV Movie Awards 2000

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W9kQf_te2EA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(And it shows that Ben Stiller and Tom Cruise are both the same height: 5' 7")
Old 08-10-15, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok, I wasn't clear enough but the thing that really bugged me was what the movie did to the main character Jim Phelps

this character was played by Peter Graves in the M:I tv series
Yeah, that sort of bugged me, too. They should have just killed off the Daniel Briggs character from the 1st season since nobody really remembers him as the original team leader.
Old 08-10-15, 06:24 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno. I barely remember MI1. And I never saw the show. So all that didn't bother me. But again... I don't really remember the movie. I think it plays fine in the overall as a stand alone, no?