Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread
17.65%
33.09%
27.94%
6.62%
9.56%
1.47%
0.74%
1.47%
0
0%
1.47%
0
0%
Skydon’t
0
0%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

Old 11-12-12, 11:02 AM
  #176  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 688
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by FRwL View Post
Waitaminute waitaminute! As long as we're talking positively about the colors it's allowed!
Pretty much. And let's just ignore the teal push in everything else in that explosion pic (except for the explosion).

It's like around the year 2000 or so, everyone went colorblind.
Old 11-12-12, 11:11 AM
  #177  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by FRwL View Post
Waitaminute waitaminute! As long as we're talking positively about the colors it's allowed!
I didn't say you couldn't talk about the colors in Skyfall. I told wm_lopez to take talk about coloring in other movies to the coloring thread. Discuss the colors in Skyfall to your heart's content.

Although personally I think you're beating a dead horse on that issue.

Last edited by Supermallet; 11-12-12 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-12-12, 11:29 AM
  #178  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 42,892
Received 285 Likes on 203 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

I love Albert Finney, but I was thinking how amazing it would've been had that character been played by Sean Connery as his final role. And of course he would've had to die. But how great would it have been? He'd be playing a grizzled Scottish dude, and it would've been full circle for both Connery and Bond.
Old 11-12-12, 11:30 AM
  #179  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DaveyJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 19,260
Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

It would have taken me out of the movie. I don't need my Bond films to get meta.
Old 11-12-12, 11:30 AM
  #180  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,124
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

The "I was ready before you were born" line seemed like it was written just for him. And it probably was, since they were courting him for the role.
Old 11-12-12, 11:35 AM
  #181  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,850
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Creepy and weird = Menacing.
Not to me.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Bi-sexual.
Semantics.
Old 11-12-12, 01:00 PM
  #182  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 7,249
Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

Saw this Sunday. Going in I had a vague sense that it was well-reviewed, but I had avoided reading anything specific and I came away really impressed. I think it was the best of Craig's Bond movies, as it had a tighter narrative and better direction than Casino Royale in my opinion. The cinematography was gorgeous, with some extremely striking and memorable visuals. I liked that it mixed throwbacks to some classic Bond with modern and original elements that kept it from being completely formulaic and predictable.

Silva was a formidable villain and I thought his plot to discredit, embarrass, and then assassinate M was plenty worthy of a Bond film. It involved a good mix of both international and personal implications.
Spoiler:
Although there were bumps along the way and he didn't quite live to see it, his plot ultimately succeeded, which is perhaps a first in a Bond film if memory serves. I thought that was pretty interesting.


There were some flaws, but all in all, I loved this and feel it has to potential to hold up as the best Bond film since the Connery era.
Old 11-12-12, 01:06 PM
  #183  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,383
Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
Spoiler:
Although there were bumps along the way and he didn't quite live to see it, his plot ultimately succeeded, which is perhaps a first in a Bond film if memory serves. I thought that was pretty interesting.
It does seem that:

Spoiler:
He never intended to live to see it through anyway.
Old 11-12-12, 01:22 PM
  #184  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Boba Fett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 6,131
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
It would have taken me out of the movie. I don't need my Bond films to get meta.
This. It would have also undermined Craig's hard work through sheer novelty value.
Old 11-12-12, 02:13 PM
  #185  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,134
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
It would have taken me out of the movie. I don't need my Bond films to get meta.
Agreed. I mean, just the whole "we're going to go back in time" line coupled with seeing Scotland on the screen took me out of the movie since I viewed it as an allusion to Connery.

If Connery then showed up there would have been no getting me back into the movie.
Old 11-12-12, 02:35 PM
  #186  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,108
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

A nice article outlining comparisons to The Dark Knight and discussing Silva's character in more detail:

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/questio...e-dark-knight/
Old 11-12-12, 02:37 PM
  #187  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 7,249
Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
If Connery then showed up there would have been no getting me back into the movie.
I agree. However, I think it would have been cool if Connery made had a silent, subtle Hitchcock-like cameo in the movie somewhere.
Old 11-12-12, 02:45 PM
  #188  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,134
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by gp1086 View Post
A nice article outlining comparisons to The Dark Knight and discussing Silva's character in more detail:

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/questio...e-dark-knight/
Aside from the 3rd act introduction of orphanage and Bond Manor, these Skyfall - Nolan's Batman film comparisons are pretty silly.

I mean, the majority of comparisons are simply elements that just exist in the overarching action genre or escapist action films like espionage or super heroes. The villains generally are always drawn to be extreme or memorable in various ways, usually they have a personal ax to grind due to some past slight, etc, etc.

Even in the linked article, the author recognizes this in a single throwaway line in the middle of a full article dedicated to what he basically admits is just intrinsic similarities. You know you're reaching with lines like, "Just as Batman had to travel to Hong Kong for information, Bond must travel to Shanghai as another high wire act involving tall buildings and glass takes place." Yes, the hallmark of Nolan's Batman...tall buildings and glass.


I think people are just trying to grab some TDK fanboy site traffic with these comparison articles.
Old 11-12-12, 02:47 PM
  #189  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Shannon Nutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17,854
Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
Agreed. I mean, just the whole "we're going to go back in time" line coupled with seeing Scotland on the screen took me out of the movie since I viewed it as an allusion to Connery.
Yep, the Scotish locale and the car were a nod toward Connery, just as the final scene was a nod toward Roger Moore. No love for Dalton.
Old 11-12-12, 02:50 PM
  #190  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 7,249
Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Yep, the Scotish locale and the car were a nod toward Connery, just as the final scene was a nod toward Roger Moore. No love for Dalton.
You could argue that
Spoiler:
Bond holding the dying M in his arms was a nod to George Lazenby as well.
Old 11-12-12, 02:52 PM
  #191  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 34,969
Received 644 Likes on 501 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

And Mendes has officially said that Skyfall was inspired by The Dark Knight. Very cool interview, but has spoilers for those that haven't seen it.



http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Direc...-34061-p1.html
Old 11-12-12, 02:55 PM
  #192  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,134
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Yep, the Scotish locale and the car were a nod toward Connery, just as the final scene was a nod toward Roger Moore. No love for Dalton.
I didn't catch the Moore nod, what was it?
Old 11-12-12, 03:16 PM
  #193  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 22,907
Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
I didn't catch the Moore nod, what was it?
I think

Spoiler:
The office of the new M was the one from the Moore era. Also, there was the line where Bond said :"For her eyes only."



I hope that the critical and commercial success of this movie inspires the producers to continue to hire reputable actors and directors for future installments. Royale was mostly good, but Le Chifre was too conventional a villain, and the one in QoS was forgettable(hence I do not know his name). Also, Bonds tend to be made by hired gun directors, which I feel kind of attributed to the monotony in their later years. Mendes was able to add his own style without greatly affecting the Bond structure, so it can be done.
Old 11-12-12, 03:16 PM
  #194  
Senior Member
 
celmendo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 626
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

Saw it at the IMAX and it was really good. Had very few gripes and I liked the nods to the past films. The teal and orange immediately bugged me. Beating a dead horse or not, that really needs to die already. How long has that been a trend already? And two minor plot points bugged me:
Spoiler:
`1 - Bardem brags about taking out governments and economies by tapping on the computer and he's so brilliant he can plan far ahead of the authorities but he can't search/scan Bond for a transmitter?!
2 - I guess this isn't a plot point but just stupidness perpetuated in movies now...the car and helicopter going up in massive explosions at the end just went way beyond credibility for me.


the bad chick was super hot and underused. I found her more interesting than Bardem. Still a great time at the movies.
Old 11-12-12, 03:18 PM
  #195  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by BambooLounge View Post
Aside from the 3rd act introduction of orphanage and Bond Manor, these Skyfall - Nolan's Batman film comparisons are pretty silly.

I mean, the majority of comparisons are simply elements that just exist in the overarching action genre or escapist action films like espionage or super heroes. The villains generally are always drawn to be extreme or memorable in various ways, usually they have a personal ax to grind due to some past slight, etc, etc.

Even in the linked article, the author recognizes this in a single throwaway line in the middle of a full article dedicated to what he basically admits is just intrinsic similarities. You know you're reaching with lines like, "Just as Batman had to travel to Hong Kong for information, Bond must travel to Shanghai as another high wire act involving tall buildings and glass takes place." Yes, the hallmark of Nolan's Batman...tall buildings and glass.


I think people are just trying to grab some TDK fanboy site traffic with these comparison articles.
It's more than just superficial similarities, and Mendes has outright said TDK was a big point of reference for this film.

It's not surprising. TDK is one of the biggest films of recent years, and for many set a new standard for action filmmaking. I except Skyfall won't be the last film to take its cues from TDK.
Old 11-12-12, 03:22 PM
  #196  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,124
Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by celmendo View Post
Spoiler:
`1 - Bardem brags about taking out governments and economies by tapping on the computer and he's so brilliant he can plan far ahead of the authorities but he can't search/scan Bond for a transmitter?!
2 - I guess this isn't a plot point but just stupidness perpetuated in movies now...the car and helicopter going up in massive explosions at the end just went way beyond credibility for me.
Spoiler:

Are you referring to the first time Bond gets captured? If so then Bardem wanted to get caught that time around, so he wouldn't have any reason to call attention to the transmitter if he knew about it.
Old 11-12-12, 03:58 PM
  #197  
Senior Member
 
celmendo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 626
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Spoiler:

Are you referring to the first time Bond gets captured? If so then Bardem wanted to get caught that time around, so he wouldn't have any reason to call attention to the transmitter if he knew about it.
That's def. a good point but still feels sloppy. And now I feel stupid.

Last edited by celmendo; 11-12-12 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-12-12, 04:05 PM
  #198  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 19,940
Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

Perfect Bond movie. Five stars. Loved it. Still stewing on it. Man I have to poop
Old 11-12-12, 04:09 PM
  #199  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DaveyJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 19,260
Received 133 Likes on 96 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Perfect Bond movie. Five stars. Loved it. Still stewing on it. Man I have to poop
Whoa, that was like my... exact reaction to seeing the movie.
Old 11-12-12, 04:17 PM
  #200  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,982
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Skyfall (Mendes, 2012) — The Double-O Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by celmendo View Post

the bad chick was super hot and underused. I found her more interesting than Bardem. Still a great time at the movies.
My favorite Bond bad girl of all-time.
I never seen or heard of that actress and she had me believing she was really a real life woman of the house.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.