Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-15, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Originally Posted by Timber
Seriously, this guy is insane. Different spaceships and planets? Really???
Planets need to be habitable. When humans have the ability to project ourselves to other planets (outside our solar system) they will be similar in geography to Earth.
Old 12-31-15, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Darth Icky?

Jeezus.
I like Darth Icky. Obviously the twist would be he is the offspring of Luke and Leia.
Old 12-31-15, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I like Darth Icky. Obviously the twist would be he is the offspring of Luke and Leia.
Old 12-31-15, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
nton -- I figured somebody would trot out the "mine vs. theirs" point, and it is a legitimate one. However, Lucas states he was technically limited when he made his films but now he has the technology to perfect his vision. Weren't filmmakers just as technically limited by black and white before color? Maybe their visions were to have their films in color ...

I don't mind George tampering. In fact, I like the idea of taking another pass without doing an out-and-out remake. I do have an issue with destroying history though.
I do agree with almost all of that (particularly denying/destroying history). Effects and colour still seem like wholly different areas to me, but that may be a side issue.

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
A podcast I listen to (Now Playing ... plug!) said Lucas only intended to revisit Star Wars (ANH) with his digital wizardry. When Fox saw the potential to re-release the other films ($$$), they offered to pay for the special editions of ESB and ROTJ. Lucas saw this as an opportunity to improve his digital effects processes (on somebody else's dime) in preparation for the prequels, so he jumped on it.
That does not surprise me - nice to see Fox spending money, though.
Old 12-31-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
If Disney does do it, I hope it's not like how they're rolling out animated movies. I couldn't believe Aladdin took so long to be released on Blu ray in the states.
Disney also sometimes edit their films - albeit for "sensitivity" rather than other reasons. But ai wouldn't place a bet on getting the original versions from Disney... even if they could.
Old 12-31-15, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

George Lucas Apologizes for ‘White Slavers’ Remark About Disney
http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news...id=mailsignout
“I want to clarify my interview on the Charlie Rose Show. It was for the Kennedy Center Honors and conducted prior to the premiere of the film. I misspoke and used a very inappropriate analogy and for that I apologize. I have been working with Disney for 40 years and chose them as the custodians of Star Wars because of my great respect for the company and Bob Iger’s leadership. Disney is doing an incredible job of taking care of and expanding the franchise. I rarely go out with statements to clarify my feelings, but I feel it is important to make it clear that I am thrilled that Disney has the franchise and is moving it in such exciting directions in film, television and the parks. Most of all I’m blown away with the record breaking blockbuster success of the new movie and am very proud of JJ [Abrams] and Kathy [Kennedy].”
Old 12-31-15, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Planets need to be habitable. When humans have the ability to project ourselves to other planets (outside our solar system) they will be similar in geography to Earth.
True, but the thing that really made me scratch my head was the fact that Tatooine was heavily featured in 4 of his 6 movies. Naboo looks like Endor which looked like Yavin 4. I'm just not seeing this "vision" that he's now talking about. If TFA was a retro movie then what was RotJ?
Old 12-31-15, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GuessWho
George Lucas Apologizes for ‘White Slavers’ Remark About Disney
http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news...id=mailsignout
Ah, it's your standard public apology: a "clarification" that is really backpedaling.
Old 12-31-15, 03:06 PM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts

"They wanted to do a retro movie. I don't like that. Every movie I work very hard to make them completely different, with different planets, with different spaceships, make it new."
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vj7G35H-Q-g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-31-15, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

The father of “Star Wars” also opened up about why he and Disney were split on their decisions for the franchise’s future.

“They looked at the stories, and they said, ‘We want to make something for the fans,’” Lucas said.
Maybe it's just me, but what's wrong with making something for the fans?
Old 01-14-16, 10:26 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/151732579" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'll just leave this here:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9_XMTN0QeWI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-15-16, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

Yeeeeeeeaaaaah.. there's a lot of green screen in that behind the scenes.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/p0cpRamEur4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-15-16, 01:25 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure what the argument is here?

He had a lot of practical stuff and then CGI were it was needed. Mad Max 4 did the same thing. What they couldn't do physically they did w/ set extensions and cgi. Not really griping for.
Old 01-15-16, 05:45 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I honestly don't know what the ratio of CGI are in the PT and TFA, but I just go by how the movie looks and does it look real? I have always said that TPM probably holds up the best and AOTC & ROTS look like one big videogame. TFA looked pretty real as it blended better with the OT then the PT.
Old 01-15-16, 06:08 AM
Banned

TPM had more sets than AoTC and RotS combined probably.

TFA looked like a very well balanced production in what it used and for what in terms of elements.
Old 01-15-16, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

I finally got a chance to go see the movie last night and all I can say is Wow! This is the Star Wars film I've waited 35 years to see! I didn't care much for ROTJ and I won't even get started on how bad I hate the prequels. This is easily the best Star Wars movie since The Empire Strikes Back!
Old 01-15-16, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One question I do have is this. Did I somehow miss it or does the film tell who Rey's parents are?

Spoiler:
Is she the daughter of Han Solo and Leia or is she Luke's daughter?
Old 01-15-16, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
One question I do have is this. Did I somehow miss it or does the film tell who Rey's parents are?

Spoiler:
It has recently been discussed in this thread. It wasn't mentioned in the movie.
Old 01-15-16, 10:49 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Spoiler:
JJ knows but will let Rian Johnson tell us when the time comes

Star Wars: J.J. Abrams knows Rey's secret parentage
Old 01-15-16, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
I honestly don't know what the ratio of CGI are in the PT and TFA, but I just go by how the movie looks and does it look real? I have always said that TPM probably holds up the best and AOTC & ROTS look like one big videogame.
This is so true of the prequel trilogy. I tried to watch some fan edits recently just to see if I could stomach them with a different edit and no amount of fan editing can fix the visual problems with those movies. Some shots are literally just the actors in front of an entirely digitally painted background and it's painfully obvious. The lighting in particular just always feels off. It's brutal.
Old 01-15-16, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
It has recently been discussed in this thread. It wasn't mentioned in the movie.
Thanks Tom. I have stayed away for this thread since early December to avoid spoilers.
Old 01-15-16, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks Tom. I have stayed away for this thread since early December to avoid spoilers.
That couldn't have been easy. I guess you can spend a few days (or a week) to read back on the thread. There are some interesting theories.
Old 01-15-16, 12:23 PM
Banned

Old 01-15-16, 01:27 PM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
This is so true of the prequel trilogy. I tried to watch some fan edits recently just to see if I could stomach them with a different edit and no amount of fan editing can fix the visual problems with those movies. Some shots are literally just the actors in front of an entirely digitally painted background and it's painfully obvious. The lighting in particular just always feels off. It's brutal.
Aside from the stilted acting/dialogue, this is like the cherry on top. It's not that there were so many set extensions and/or completely CG environments, it's that they take you right out of it with their poor quality/integration. They went overboard trying to make everything look "new". Just because everything is more "advanced" doesn't mean it can't look lived in.
Old 01-15-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
If the franchise weren't so carefully curated, I'd say that's a possibility, if only because then you could maybe understand why she's abandoned.

If she's Luke's, even if you're all messed up because your pupils turned against you, why abandon your daughter? It can't be to protect her, people couldn't even find you in the first place.

If she's Leia's, again, why abandon her when you're already heartbroken about your son.

If she's another Midichlorian baby, screw this franchise.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.