Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-15, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

If George stayed involved, we may have had these two Darths

“The team threw a Hail Mary to George, saying the game would have more credibility if the apprentice had a ‘Darth’ title,” a Force Unleashed team member says. Lucas agreed that this situation made sense for Sith royalty, and offered up two Darth titles for the team to choose from. “He threw out ‘Darth Icky’ and ‘Darth Insanius.’ There was a pregnant pause in the room after that. People waiting for George to say ‘just kidding,’ but it never comes, and he just moved on to another point.”
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featur...ostPageIndex=2

Darth fuckin' Icky.
Old 12-30-15, 04:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Jesus. Charlie Rose was coming on kind of strong. I've never seen him be that strong w/ someone.
Old 12-30-15, 04:45 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

meh. The Force Awakens might not be a perfect movie, but it's the best Star Wars movie since ESB. Eventually someone will leak the rough drafts of Lucas' proposed sequel trilogy and we'll all be pissed that we weren't able to see more Viceroy's talking about trade federations and senate hearings on the big screen.

Mr. Lucas, thank you so very much for creating Star Wars. It is something that has been burned into my soul ever I was a little kid. But now, you can just stfu.
Old 12-30-15, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Darth Icky? That would have been the end of the series. Jar Jar vs Darth Icky for supreme control of the galaxy.
Old 12-30-15, 05:03 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

That's insanius.
Old 12-30-15, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Darth Icky?

Jeezus.
Old 12-30-15, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I just got The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens book. The various concepts are divided by month to show how the look of the movie evolved. I've been combing through it looking for clues that might paint a picture of what Lucas intended based on stuff the art department was producing before Arndt (and presumably George) departed. Much of this early work is described as "exploratory" concepts, but a few things seem to reoccur over various pieces:

- Felucia (the exotic planet where Aayla Secura was shot down by clone troopers in RotS) is featured in several paintings. The Falcon is depicted as being parked in a canyon there.

- Heroes are named Sam and Kira. Sam is painted like a young Han Solo (similar outfit and blaster) and Kira looks just like Natalie Portman with a green lightsaber.

- Painting of the Falcon flying over Felucia with a giant jellyfish-looking blob attached to the front.

- Female Twi'lek Sith with red skin and black tattoos (Maul 2.0?)

- What looks like B&W storyboards of the Twi'lek seducing a Jedi and taking his saber.

- The Emperor's throne room from the second Death Star is at the bottom of an ocean. This is where the map to Luke is found (maybe hidden in the green saber he threw away?)
Old 12-30-15, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Darth Icky? That would have been the end of the series. Jar Jar vs Darth Icky for supreme control of the galaxy.
I even found a picture of the planned Darth Icky.

Spoiler:
Old 12-30-15, 06:10 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Darth Icky:

Spoiler:
Old 12-30-15, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TGM
meh. The Force Awakens might not be a perfect movie, but it's the best Star Wars movie since ESB. Eventually someone will leak the rough drafts of Lucas' proposed sequel trilogy and we'll all be pissed that we weren't able to see more Viceroy's talking about trade federations and senate hearings on the big screen.

Mr. Lucas, thank you so very much for creating Star Wars. It is something that has been burned into my soul ever I was a little kid. But now, you can just stfu.
There was a scene filmed of Leia talking to the New Republic Senate and trying to get them to take the First Order threat seriously. I'm betting that was cut simply because of how badly the political nonsense was in the PT.
Old 12-30-15, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31
I see all these interviews with Lucas and I'm not sure what the point is. Are we supposed to feel sorry for him? He's the one who sold his company and he certainly had no remorse over the years for what he did to the Star Wars movies.
Yeah I really don't get Lucas at this point. If he didn't want someone else in control of Star Wars he shouldn't have sold the rights to Disney plain and simple. All I can say is thank the fucking lord that he isn't in charge anymore. Darth Icky and Darth Insanius are seriously two of the names he came up with for potential villains? The guy is off his rocker and I can only imagine that we would have gotten shit as bad or worse than the Prequel Trilogy if he was still involved. The Force Awakens may not be a perfect film but it revived the franchise from being seen as subpar after the prequels to opening the doors for better things to come.
Old 12-30-15, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

Disney raped George Lucas' Star Wars.
Old 12-30-15, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Its funny because seemingly that's the way that he feels. I think ultimately it burns away at him that fans are more satisfied with the vision that Disney and Abrams went with when a lot of the same fans hated what he did with the Prequel Trilogy. I think Lucas has a bad case of tunnel vision and can only see things his way to meet his grand vision for the franchise (even though it seemingly is always changing) and doesn't have any desire to please the fans.
Old 12-30-15, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Considering how much Disney paid, it would be more apt to say that Lucas pimped Star Wars out to Disney.
Old 12-30-15, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Super X
Considering how much Disney paid, it would be more apt to say that Lucas pimped Star Wars out to Disney.
The kicker must be that he already had enough money than he would ever need before selling. I don't know why he just didn't hire someone to film exactly what he wanted.
Old 12-30-15, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Super X
I thought Disney paid fair market value, but man, now I think they got the steal of the century.
Old 12-30-15, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joe_b
I just got The Art of Star Wars: The Force Awakens book. The various concepts are divided by month to show how the look of the movie evolved. I've been combing through it looking for clues that might paint a picture of what Lucas intended based on stuff the art department was producing before Arndt (and presumably George) departed. Much of this early work is described as "exploratory" concepts, but a few things seem to reoccur over various pieces:

- Felucia (the exotic planet where Aayla Secura was shot down by clone troopers in RotS) is featured in several paintings. The Falcon is depicted as being parked in a canyon there.

- Heroes are named Sam and Kira. Sam is painted like a young Han Solo (similar outfit and blaster) and Kira looks just like Natalie Portman with a green lightsaber.

- Painting of the Falcon flying over Felucia with a giant jellyfish-looking blob attached to the front.

- Female Twi'lek Sith with red skin and black tattoos (Maul 2.0?)

- What looks like B&W storyboards of the Twi'lek seducing a Jedi and taking his saber.

- The Emperor's throne room from the second Death Star is at the bottom of an ocean. This is where the map to Luke is found (maybe hidden in the green saber he threw away?)
Interesting. I need to get that book. I have all the others but I've tried to stay low key this time around and go easy on the merch. But that sounds interesting.
Old 12-30-15, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
I thought Disney paid fair market value, but man, now I think they got the steal of the century.
And they haven't even tapped into Lucasfilm's other properties.
Old 12-30-15, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
And they haven't even tapped into Lucasfilm's other properties.
Willow? Ha ha. But didn't the deal include ILM, THX, etc? All appeared to be doing well. And the last Indy made a boatload. This next one will likely do a lot, too.
Old 12-30-15, 10:30 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
Interesting. I need to get that book. I have all the others but I've tried to stay low key this time around and go easy on the merch. But that sounds interesting.
I only pre-ordered it because Amazon had a 30% off coupon for books last month, but I'm glad I did. It nicely put together and the pages are high quality.

BTW, I wonder if the idea of possibly bringing back Felucia was a response to "Avatar" with all the luminescent plant life. The book also describes a scene where Sam/Finn is rescued by a clan of primitive aliens who perform a cleansing ceremony (complete with tribal paint) to make him "reborn" after escaping life as a stormtrooper.
Old 12-30-15, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

The Emperor's underwater throne room sounds like it comes from one of the earlier drafts of the J.J. Abrams film where they returned to Endor to find something in the Death Star II wreckage.

I would be really interested to see George Lucas' outlines for his own sequel trilogy.
Old 12-31-15, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

"They wanted to do a retro movie. I don't like that. Every movie I work very hard to make them completely different, with different planets, with different spaceships, make it new."
Seriously, this guy is insane. Different spaceships and planets? Really???
Old 12-31-15, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

The Emperor's throne room from the second Death Star is at the bottom of an ocean. This is where the map to Luke is found (maybe hidden in the green saber he threw away?)
Which I'm pretty sure you can clearly see on his belt on Endor at the end of the movie.
Old 12-31-15, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Which I'm pretty sure you can clearly see on his belt on Endor at the end of the movie.
Your insight serves you well.

Old 12-31-15, 11:15 AM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Seriously, this guy is insane. Different spaceships and planets? Really???
And it's BS too. If Lucas wanted all of the films to look different, why did he alter the OT to try to match the looks of the prequels, adding planets you only saw in the prequels?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.