Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Old 12-08-15, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Yes, they were put into a canon.
Old 12-08-15, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Let me reiterate my theory that Jakku is what's left of Endor after seven hundred billion tons of Death Star debris rained down upon it.
Nope, the cannon books say otherwise.
Old 12-08-15, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
What is up w/ Ewok films? Were those even ever canon?
Whether they were canon or not is kind of irrelevant since I don't think they really have anything to do with the other films in any way other than the fact that they star the Ewoks.
Old 12-08-15, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QfN-14LxTxY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
What's up with some (maybe all) these Stormtroopers coming across as elite assassins? They partake in lightsaber battles now??? I'm guessing that all of them can at least hit the broad side of a barn with their blasters.
Old 12-08-15, 01:35 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
Then the Ewok films wouldn't be canon!

I loved the Ewoks as a kid, including those awful movies. I don't hate them now, I even kind of like them, but it does irk me when they whip a couple of stones into the storm troopers and they fall over. I can live with the rest of their primitive contraptions.
Those films apparently took place before RoTJ.
Old 12-08-15, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Those films apparently took place before RoTJ.
Did they? Wasn't Wicket talking in one of them? And why were they trying to barbeque Luke and company when they were buddied up with a bunch of humans earlier? Evil little things!
Old 12-08-15, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
What's up with some (maybe all) these Stormtroopers coming across as elite assassins? They partake in lightsaber battles now??? I'm guessing that all of them can at least hit the broad side of a barn with their blasters.
I guess the First Order really really gave a damn about quality control. These guys may actually hit what they're aiming at. ON PURPOSE!
Old 12-08-15, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
So that's why they call him Goldenrod.
Old 12-08-15, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
Depends on which age group your talking about. I was 10 years old when I saw ROTJ, and didn't notice the Ewoks being lame until I was in high school. But man my older brothers friends (who were in High School when ROTJ came out) hated the movie and the Ewoks. The difference was there was no internet back then so people who didn't like the movie moved on.

Trust me most of my older brothers friends never saw the Prequels or even cared about them in 1999 (They will probably see TFA cause Han, Luke, and Leia are back). It was kids my age who beared the torch of the SW fandom that kept it going years later.
I noticed something similar with the PT in terms of age groups. Myself and a lot of friends who went to see TPM were in early grade school when ROTJ was released. While we might have been in a state of denial at the time, I remember us all liking TPM initially. It wasn't until later viewings (and Red Letter Media ) that we came to the conclusion :" Yeah, these pretty much sucked." However, most people I knew in their early to mid-30s who were adolescents when the OT was released seemed to despise the PT from the get go. They also didn't care much for ROTJ as we young'uns did.
Old 12-08-15, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

George Lucas seems to be throwing some shade at TFA in his "review". I wonder if he's feeling butthurt now that he no longer has any say in the franchise.
Old 12-08-15, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
George Lucas seems to be throwing some shade at TFA in his "review". I wonder if he's feeling butthurt now that he no longer has any say in the franchise.
Old 12-08-15, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Lucas quote going around:

Spoiler:
I think the fans are going to love it. It’s very much the kind of movie they’ve been looking for.

What a myopic douche.
Old 12-08-15, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by George Lucas

The issue was ultimately, they looked at the stories and they said, ‘We want to make something for the fans.’ People don’t actually realize it’s actually a soap opera and it’s all about family problems – it’s not about spaceships.
He really seems out of touch or in denial. Out of ALL the criticisms made by Star Wars fans and general film goers about the wooden performances, horrendous dialogue, weak story, and over reliance on CGI in the prequels I never heard people complain their weren't enough spaceships.

It's like he's speaking down to people.
Old 12-08-15, 11:09 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

George acts like making a film fans actually might enjoy is catering to the lowest common denominator. I hate to say this (because without him there would be no Star Wars) but I hope TFA breaks every record and is a critical darling so Lucas can eat his heart out.

He's come across as a poor sport with resentment for the fanbase throughout the lead-up to this movie. If anybody was guilty of cramming in needless fan service (Yoda and Chewie were buddies on Kashyyyk?) it's Lucas. Remember that deleted scene where little Ani gets in a street fight with young Greedo? How dumb was that shit?
Old 12-08-15, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I think it must eat at him to know that fanboys are likely going to love this film more than any of the entries from the Prequel Trilogy and that the film was done in a way that deviates from his vision. He won't outright say that most likely but he comes across as almost somewhat resentful of giving the fans what they want to see and only wants people to enjoy things the way he presents them. Just like with the alterations to the Original Trilogy and being so damn stubborn about putting them out in their original forms.
Old 12-08-15, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If anybody was guilty of cramming in needless fan service (Yoda and Chewie were buddies on Kashyyyk?) it's Lucas. Remember that deleted scene where little Ani gets in a street fight with young Greedo? How dumb was that shit?
Yeah, it seems like he was trying to write for fanboys, thinking they wanted to see all these dots connected. Not to mention giving the fans what they wanted by inserting Boba Fett in A New Hope, and then pretty much having another Boba Fett, Jango, in the prequels. He's full of it.

About the Ewoks movies, I saw the second one on TV as a kid and thought it was awesome. Saw it later and it doesn't feel like it exists in the same universe as the films.

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think it must eat at him to know that fanboys are likely going to love this film more than any of the entries from the Prequel Trilogy and that the film was done in a way that deviates from his vision. He won't outright say that most likely but he comes across as almost somewhat resentful of giving the fans what they want to see and only wants people to enjoy things the way he presents them.
But damn, how can he be resentful when he treated ROTJ and the prequels as a merchandising come up and not as a somewhat serious series of films, just to make $$$$$$? He started making story decisions based on how it affected toy merchandise.

Just like with the alterations to the Original Trilogy and being so damn stubborn about putting them out in their original forms.
I can sympathize with that though. Usually these artists are never satisfied with a finished work but have to turn it eventually in. If given the chance they want to keep further refining it, never completely satisfied, always finding a flaw to correct. The reason why most artists don't Special Edition there work is because they have other work they want to get done. Lucas hasn't done anything besides Star Wars, not including writing Indy's Crystal Skull adventure.

But yeah, I still don't get why he never wanted to give people the option of owning both versions on home media? Most big movies that are offered in boxed sets and what not, usually have Theatrical and Director's Cut available, like Blade Runner, Aliens Collector's Editions, etc.

Last edited by brayzie; 12-08-15 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-08-15, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XSaaa_OBkzw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-09-15, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by van der graaf
That's deliciously passive-aggressive.
Old 12-09-15, 12:17 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I can sympathize with that though. Usually these artists are never satisfied with a finished work but have to turn it eventually in. If given the chance they want to keep further refining it, never completely satisfied, always finding a flaw to correct. The reason why most artists don't Special Edition there work is because they have other work they want to get done. Lucas hasn't done anything besides Star Wars, not including writing Indy's Crystal Skull adventure.
I think you're selling him very short. He was incredibly hands on with all the Indy films, plus Willow, ILM, and THX, and lots of other major projects that helped change the face of cinema. I know the temptation is to trash him because the prequels turned out so badly and he's mutilated the OT, but let's give credit where credit is due.

The irony of course is that if Lucas were the caretaker of any other filmmaker's legacy, he'd make sure that their work were preserved in the best possible condition, in their original form. It's only his own work that he thinks should be shown in whatever form took his whimsy the last time it was released on home video.
Old 12-09-15, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I think you're selling him very short. He was incredibly hands on with all the Indy films, plus Willow, ILM, and THX, and lots of other major projects that helped change the face of cinema. I know the temptation is to trash him because the prequels turned out so badly and he's mutilated the OT, but let's give credit where credit is due.
I was too general. I meant with regards to film making, particularly directing and thinking more from that period when Indiana Jones ended (Last Crusade) to when the prequels started. Other directors move on to their next film but he stopped directing to handle the Star Wars merchandise-and-related-products empire, in addition to building up his other companies that you mentioned.

It seems to me he never found his next Star Wars (Indiana Jones films being shared with Spielberg) so just went back retooling it, and retooling it so that it would be perfect.

On a side note I really liked Willow.
Old 12-09-15, 02:52 AM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Snoke's appearance revealed?

Spoiler:

Probably not, but I read that Collider heard from a few sources that this was at least an approximation of the final character design... and they apparently claim Disney requested the Snoke discussion be edited out of their recent podcast. Regardless, the drawing is clearly a copy of this old EU depiction of Darth Plagueis:

Honestly, I'd be fine if Snoke turned out to be Plagueis. It would tie the three trilogies together in a subtle way, since the average moviegoer probably wouldn't remember who Plagueis was anyway. Having Palpatine's former master resurface in a deteriorated state would pack more punch than an entirely new Sith lord. It does seem doubtful they would go with the old EU design for the character, though.

Sunday's press conference:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hZT49069aXw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by joe_b; 12-09-15 at 03:11 AM.
Old 12-09-15, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I have not read any info or spoilers on Star Wars: The Force Awakens for about A month.
did not read any post in this thread.Want to to be surprise and enjoy the new Star Wars movie.

Have not been to the theater since the Drive-in in Dallas,Oregon over the last summer.Really enjoyed the time spent with my family their.

Looks like it is starting showing on at my local theater on Thursday, December 17.
12 showings with most being in 3-D.
Might go to either the 11pm or midnight showing.I live in a fairly small town,and most people are
home in bed around 9pm.But not me.
Old 12-09-15, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by van der graaf

What a myopic douche.
I think it's George's form of self-therapy. It's like when a girl ditches you and winds up with someone better looking and with more money.
Old 12-09-15, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XSaaa_OBkzw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
"My heart was beating. It's still beating now."

Well that's great. I'm glad you're not a zombie. But how was the movie?

"Eh. Kinda sucked."
Old 12-09-15, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Snoke's appearance revealed?

Spoiler:

Probably not, but I read that Collider heard from a few sources that this was at least an approximation of the final character design... and they apparently claim Disney requested the Snoke discussion be edited out of their recent podcast. Regardless, the drawing is clearly a copy of this old EU depiction of Darth Plagueis:

Honestly, I'd be fine if Snoke turned out to be Plagueis. It would tie the three trilogies together in a subtle way, since the average moviegoer probably wouldn't remember who Plagueis was anyway. Having Palpatine's former master resurface in a deteriorated state would pack more punch than an entirely new Sith lord. It does seem doubtful they would go with the old EU design for the character, though.

Sunday's press conference:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hZT49069aXw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Interesting. ..

Spoiler:
Didn't know Snoke was a force user.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.