Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-15, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

^ Not to delve into spoiler territory, but it's clearly Anakin/Luke's old saber. We see Leia being handed it in the second teaser. She might loan it to Finn to use in the finale, though it's probably Rey's fate to inherit the thing. While they could both have Force abilities, I suspect Finn is just being used as misdirection in the marketing campaign and Rey will turn out to be the only future Jedi in the cast.

Last edited by joe_b; 11-11-15 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-11-15, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I dunno. I could tolerate an Obi-Wan film but also... he was in self exile or whatever during that time... so what adventures could he have during RotS and SW?

Not much that are worth a damn.
He could have to leave Tatooine to go on some kind of quest. Look for some Jedi artifact or somethng. Runs afoul of Inquisitors or bounty hunters or something. Boba Fett looking for revenge. Darth Maul in his cyborg body.
Old 11-11-15, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Surprised Rey isn't freezing in that snow.
Old 11-11-15, 03:41 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

22 photos from EW.
Old 11-11-15, 04:07 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

shit, he's still got it. badass.
Old 11-11-15, 04:10 PM
Banned

Was there any question to it?
Old 11-11-15, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Love the covers of EW. Can't wait until mine comes in on Friday.
Old 11-11-15, 07:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
He could have to leave Tatooine to go on some kind of quest. Look for some Jedi artifact or somethng. Runs afoul of Inquisitors or bounty hunters or something. Boba Fett looking for revenge. Darth Maul in his cyborg body.
It's clear in AOTC and ROTS that Obi-Wan loves adventuring, and in A New Hope he tells Luke that he's "getting too old for this sort of thing" (emphasis mine to show that Obi-Wan only feels he's now becoming too old when Princess Leia asks for help). I doubt a guy like that wouldn't end up taking off from Tatooine every once in a while on an adventure, when one presents itself.
Old 11-11-15, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

I really don't want to go to the theater to see this but I don't know how to stop myself.
Old 11-11-15, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
shit, he's still got it. badass.
Yeah, his appearance/costume really is perfect. Ford's in great shape, the costume is cool, they kept the hair pretty natural looking, etc. Just hope he gets to fire his blaster during some action scenes... something similar to taking off from Mos Eisley.
Old 11-12-15, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Here's the back of the soundtrack CD. Looks out for spoilers!

That actually got me at first. I was all "Holy shit! Jakku really is Tatooine!"
Old 11-12-15, 07:39 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

It's so great to see Han Solo back in a SW movie, as fans forget how he elevated the OT movies. What he brought to the movies were coolness and humor, as they would have been just as serious and boring as the Prequels without him.
Old 11-12-15, 09:58 AM
Banned

A bit of spoiler type stuff from the actors and Abrams. Neat.

http://geektyrant.com/news/the-force...tails-revealed
Old 11-12-15, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
It's clear in AOTC and ROTS that Obi-Wan loves adventuring, and in A New Hope he tells Luke that he's "getting too old for this sort of thing" (emphasis mine to show that Obi-Wan only feels he's now becoming too old when Princess Leia asks for help). I doubt a guy like that wouldn't end up taking off from Tatooine every once in a while on an adventure, when one presents itself.
He ran off with Luke to try and save Leia with no hesitation. He wasn't afraid to leave the planet. Plus didn't he say that Uncle Owen was afraid that Luke would follow him on some foolish crusade? They could easily show Obi-Wan running off on crusades and it wouldn't be a stretch based off of what we already know.
Old 11-12-15, 12:52 PM

Andy Serkis shares some details on why Snoke was done as a mo-cap character:

He is large. He appears tall. And also just the facial design – you couldn’t have gotten there with prosthetics. It’s too extreme. Without giving too much away at this point, he has a very distinctive, idiosyncratic bone structure and facial structure. You could never have done it [in real life.]”
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/12...e-leader-snoke
Old 11-12-15, 12:57 PM
Banned

Fuck. I keep forgetting he's in this.
Old 11-12-15, 04:56 PM
Banned

About the character Lupita Nyong'o plays:

http://geektyrant.com/news/new-detai...-force-awakens
Old 11-12-15, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by joe_b
^ Not to delve into spoiler territory, but it's clearly Anakin/Luke's old saber.
Not likely as that lightsaber (along with Luke's hand) would be somewhere on Bespin.
Old 11-13-15, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

A bit of spoiler type stuff from the actors and Abrams. Neat.

http://geektyrant.com/news/the-force...tails-revealed
About the character Lupita Nyong'o plays:

http://geektyrant.com/news/new-detai...-force-awakens
So basically this site just quotes stuff from EW articles?
Old 11-13-15, 03:39 AM

New EW article focusing on the mystery surrounding Luke:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/12...lker-star-wars

Interesting tidbit from Abrams:
“It was the thing that struck me the hardest, which was the idea that doing a story that took place nearly 40 years after Jedi meant that there would be a generation for whom Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Leia would be as good as myth,” Abrams says. “They’d be as old and as mythic as the tale of King Arthur. They would be characters who they may have heard of, but maybe not. They’d be characters who they might believe existed, or just sounded like a fairy tale.”
So it takes less than four decades for the heroes of a galaxy-spanning conflict to pass into the realm of Arthurian legend... even when one (Leia) remains a leading figure in the Resistance? Oh, well... the Jedi were spoken of like they were some ancient relic a mere twenty years after the fall of the Old Republic. I guess a decent news broadcasting service doesn't exist in a galaxy far, far away and everyone relies on foggy oral history?

Here's a new TV spot that premiered on ABC last night. You can spot Admiral Ackbar on the far right at 0:48. Carrie Fisher's daughter Billie Lourd is in the same shot (between Han and Leia):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z6rNlK_Rjnc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IMAX release poster:

Originally Posted by Jon2
Not likely as that lightsaber (along with Luke's hand) would be somewhere on Bespin.
That happened over thirty years ago. It's probably been passed around quite a bit since then.

Spoiler:

Old 11-13-15, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joe_b
Interesting tidbit from Abrams:So it takes less than four decades for the heroes of a galaxy-spanning conflict to pass into the realm of Arthurian legend... even when one (Leia) remains a leading figure in the Resistance? Oh, well... the Jedi were spoken of like they were some ancient relic a mere twenty years after the fall of the Old Republic. I guess a decent news broadcasting service doesn't exist in a galaxy far, far away and everyone relies on foggy oral history?
Do you remember members of terrorists organizations from 3 plus decades ago? The Empire is the US government and the rebellion was Al quaeda. We may remember the leaders of Al quaeda 30 years from now but we won't remember the foot soldiers like Luke Skywalker or Han Solo.
Old 11-13-15, 08:25 AM
Political Exile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Do you remember members of terrorists organizations from 3 plus decades ago? The Empire is the US government and the rebellion was Al quaeda. We may remember the leaders of Al quaeda 30 years from now but we won't remember the foot soldiers like Luke Skywalker or Han Solo.
You mean the two guys who were responsible for one of the greatest victories by the Rebellion against the Empire, Gen. Skywalker and Gen. Solo?
Old 11-13-15, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Philzilla
You mean the two guys who were responsible for one of the greatest victories by the Rebellion against the Empire, Gen. Skywalker and Gen. Solo?
Right but who knew about that? They didn't destroy the Empire, the Empire just evolved. The "Resistance" is still a small backwater operation training it's agents on monkey bars.

Even as far back as ANH Luke was surprised that 3PO knew of the rebellion against the Empire. This "war" is not something that is widely known, especially on these outer rim planets.

Last edited by Timber; 11-13-15 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-13-15, 09:18 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

that tv spot gave me chills!
Old 11-13-15, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Timber
This "war" is not something that is widely known, especially on these outer rim planets.
Like Tatooine? Wasn't there a whole victory montage with people celebrating in the streets?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.