Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-15, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

It doesn't seem like there's a definitive answer or at least I can't find one. A lot of people seem to think a few days or so which makes sense to me, but then I read that Kirshner regretted not making it clear that the amount of time it took for the Millennium Falcon to make it to Bespin without hyperdrive was supposed to be like six months. So who really knows as it's not clear cut and there's no indication given as to how much time elapsed. I guess to me the way the film presents itself has always seemed to be taking place over a few days, maybe a week tops.
Old 10-22-15, 08:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

I always assumed it was at least several weeks, if not a few months. If only Kirshner had included a montage of Luke training interspersed with shots of pages falling off of a daily calendar!
Old 10-22-15, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't mean like that but there just doesn't seem to be much to indicate that a lot time is passing. I think partly because the pacing of the film is pretty fast that it just seems like less time. Maybe I'm wrong though.
Old 10-22-15, 08:22 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I always assumed it was at least several weeks, if not a few months. If only Kirshner had included a montage of Luke training interspersed with shots of pages falling off of a daily calendar!
this made me laugh.

then it made me sad because it didn't happen.

queue: ".... there's no easy way out... there's no shortcut home..."
Old 10-22-15, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

If it took 6 months, Leia would've found a change of clothes or at least undone her hair.
She was still wearing her damn Hoth snowsuit when she arrived on Bespin.

Last edited by GuessWho; 10-22-15 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-22-15, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Yes, and the whole thing could have been set to a peppy pop-rock song called "The Eye of the Gundark."
Old 10-22-15, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
It doesn't seem like there's a definitive answer or at least I can't find one. A lot of people seem to think a few days or so which makes sense to me, but then I read that Kirshner regretted not making it clear that the amount of time it took for the Millennium Falcon to make it to Bespin without hyperdrive was supposed to be like six months. So who really knows as it's not clear cut and there's no indication given as to how much time elapsed. I guess to me the way the film presents itself has always seemed to be taking place over a few days, maybe a week tops.
Also keep in mind that, without the "hyperdrive" on the Falcon, we could be looking at relativistic physics where the journey to Bespin could have taken three or four days for Han and Leia, but six months could have passed for Luke on Dagobah.

Which would also mean that Bespin was really close to Hoth, or the hyperdrive was only usable in short bursts.
Old 10-22-15, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

fan-made video with all footage from the teasers & trailer

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XIRoASL90EI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-23-15, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

yup, thats definitely all the footage from the teasers and trailers.
Old 10-23-15, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Also keep in mind that, without the "hyperdrive" on the Falcon, we could be looking at relativistic physics where the journey to Bespin could have taken three or four days for Han and Leia, but six months could have passed for Luke on Dagobah.
True. I didn't think about that but that could be a reasonable explanation.
Old 10-23-15, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

After watching the Force Awakens trailers, posters, toys, etc., and from the OT,

Spoiler:
Luke has turned to the dark side.

Just a hunch.
Old 10-23-15, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This would've been an awesome teaser:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DVl4MYER0Zc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-23-15, 11:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mapasu
After watching the Force Awakens trailers, posters, toys, etc., and from the OT,

Spoiler:
Luke has turned to the dark side.

Just a hunch.
Spoiler:
I doubt it. One earlier promo pic showed Luke in the traditional brown Jedi robes. He was also sporting a beard and looked very much like Obi-Wan.

One thing I would LOVE to see in one of the upcoming movies is Luke destroying an AT-AT walker using only the Force like he did in the Dark Empire comic. That was so badass.
Old 10-23-15, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mega nerd answers here about Hoth-Bespin:

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/quest...out-hyperdrive
Old 10-23-15, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

Obi-Wan went into hiding
Yoda went into hiding
Why do people think it's so weird for Luke to go into hiding?

I would guarantee Luke does not turn to the dark side...
Old 10-23-15, 11:41 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Obi-Wan went into hiding
Yoda went into hiding

Well Obi-Wan and Yoda had all the more reason to be in hiding. By the end of RotJ, Luke doesn't have any reason to hide. Not that we know of yet.
Old 10-23-15, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ganondorf
Spoiler:
I doubt it. One earlier promo pic showed Luke in the traditional brown Jedi robes. He was also sporting a beard and looked very much like Obi-Wan.

One thing I would LOVE to see in one of the upcoming movies is Luke destroying an AT-AT walker using only the Force like he did in the Dark Empire comic. That was so badass.
Yes, but

Spoiler:
JJ Abrams is know to play tricks with audiences trying to figure out plots. And also to bring balance to the force he could either be a ying/yang entity since there cannot be only one. Could Leia be the Jedi and Luke the Sith?
Old 10-23-15, 12:11 PM
Banned

.... I'm not sure I could take her serious in such a role considering what she looks like. Hamill is one thing... Fisher is another.
Old 10-23-15, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
What about her kids, if there are any?
Old 10-23-15, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
Obi-Wan went into hiding
Yoda went into hiding

It seems like some people just want it to be that Luke has turned to the dark side. I really don't see it happening at this point. Like I've said before I think at this point it'd be kind of a cheap move to turn him especially in the first film where his character is brought back. Maybe if it was done in a future sequel but even then there'd have to be a really good storyline reason for it or I'd think it was dumb personally.
Old 10-23-15, 12:45 PM
Banned

Spoiler:
Then...yes?

We've a young guy being a Sith and a girl being a good guy. So maybe the latter hasn't developed that part yet... but I dunno. Maybe they're familia? I really can't guess much aside from what we've gotten. But no way a story, that you mentioned earlier, would work out. It has to make sense.
Old 10-23-15, 01:05 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

With less than two months to go before the theatrical debut of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” Disney and Lucasfilm trumpeted the record-busting pre-sales and the huge viewership of the latest trailer for the film, which premiered during halftime on “Monday Night Football.”

An announcement Friday deemed the “Star Wars” creators at Lucasfilm “totally overwhelmed by the enthusiasm we’ve seen from fans this week and throughout the lead-up to this film.” That included a monstrous 112 million views of the new trailer online in just the first 24 hours, building on top of the nearly 16 million viewers who had access to the preview via the football broadcast on ESPN, another part of the Disney family.

“Thank you all for making the ‘Star Wars’ universe what it is, for keeping it alive and growing and meaningful,” said a statement from the company. “‘Star Wars’ is back and beginning an exciting new journey, and it’s because of you.”

“Episode VII” of the “Star Wars” series had set new presales records by Tuesday, bypassing “The Hunger Games” in first-day ticket sales, according to Fandango. The J.J. Abrams-directed picture obliterated the “Games” mark by more than eight times and traffic on Fandango’s site surged to seven times above its peak level in less than 24 hours.

Lucasfilm said the fervor for tickets was worldwide. It reported that in the United Kingdom, more than 200,000 tickets were purchased on day one. Fans in Norway reportedly went out in sub-zero temperatures to get early tickets. Even with the record-setting sales, the company said tickets remain available for the opening weekend, following the Dec. 18 debut.

Lucasfilm and Disney rhapsodized about the sales, and reaction to Monday’s new trailer. “But more than numbers, there was discussion, there were reaction videos, there were fun memes,” said a statement. “There were cheers and there were tears from fans young and old. We saw and loved it all, and it meant the world to creators of the film. And we were equally blown away by the advance ticket sales.”
http://variety.com/2015/film/news/st...ks-1201625077/
Old 10-23-15, 01:15 PM
Banned

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I would be shocked and amazed if Rey is anything but the daughter of Han and Leia, and Rey is a Jedi.

The poster and trailer play up Finn as the one with the lightsaber, but I believe that is misdirection. Rey is the Jedi, not Finn.
Old 10-23-15, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm willing to bet that people skeptical on this breaking box office records due to being a December release as opposed to a summer release will be eating their words. The reception from this last trailer has people fucking stoked.
Old 10-23-15, 01:38 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I'm willing to bet that people skeptical on this breaking box office records due to being a December release as opposed to a summer release will be eating their words. The reception from this last trailer has people fucking stoked.
Given it's being released a week before Christmas, with college and most k-12 schools starting on winter break as well, I don't see why this can't break box office opening records either.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.