Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Old 04-28-15, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (12/18/2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fi

I just read somewhere that Abrams shot this on film. Does this mean we'll (hopefully) get some 35mm releases (or even 70?!?) like we did with Interstellar? Also, can they even do the modern form of 3D with film projection?
Old 04-28-15, 02:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (12/18/2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fi

Dunno if Disney wants to do something beyond regular 35 when it comes to film.
Old 04-28-15, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by lamphorn
I just read somewhere that Abrams shot this on film. Does this mean we'll (hopefully) get some 35mm releases (or even 70?!?) like we did with Interstellar? Also, can they even do the modern form of 3D with film projection?
If there are more than a dozen prints of it made, I'll be amazed, even IMAX aren't making prints anymore. Abrams apparently shot most of it on 35mm and some of it on 70mm . But apparently, that required a lot of kicking and screaming to get Disney to do, so the chances of them actually pushing the format rather than just indulging his desire to shoot on it are probably slim and none. Mostly none. Did any of those Interstellar celluloid showings make any noise? I regret not getting to see any 35mm prints, but I did get to see a 15/70 IMAX showing, probably the last major film that'll be a release in the format.
Old 04-28-15, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
If there are more than a dozen prints of it made, I'll be amazed, even IMAX aren't making prints anymore. Abrams apparently shot most of it on 35mm and some of it on 70mm . But apparently, that required a lot of kicking and screaming to get Disney to do, so the chances of them actually pushing the format rather than just indulging his desire to shoot on it are probably slim and none. Mostly none. Did any of those Interstellar celluloid showings make any noise? I regret not getting to see any 35mm prints, but I did get to see a 15/70 IMAX showing, probably the last major film that'll be a release in the format.
Good point about Disney, though if he insists the way Nolan did, he's certainly in a position to get them to budge. In L.A. the 35/70mm showings of Interstellar were a big deal. They opened a few days earlier in those formats, so that's how most of us in town saw it, if we went during opening week. I saw it in 70mm in the IMAX at Universal Studios, and that was pretty glorious. I also caught the 70mm run of Inherent Vice at the Arclight Dome in Hollywood. I assume the film/digital thing isn't a big deal outside of L.A. but there's still a very active film appreciation community here. Most of us work in digital or TV, but we grew up idolizing the cinema so I think that accounts for it. That said, we had a disaster of a 70mm 2001 screening on sunday which was shut down by the projectionists union. I was PISSED because I'm worried that'll just scare theatres away from these celluloid screenings.
Old 04-28-15, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oi7KPDi_yQI?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-28-15, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

If they do, the AFI in Silver Spring will probably get their hands on a print. They had Ep IV in 35 mm last August.
Old 04-28-15, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

MSW has a new report with shot descriptions that may shed some light on the connection of two characters. It's a bit obvious if you've kept up with the alleged spoiler reports, but don't read if you want to be surprised.

Spoiler:
http://makingstarwars.net/2015/04/st...ling-a-pirate/

- If old rumors are true, Rey is kidnapped by Kylo Ren after the lightsaber duel.

- At the Resistance (no longer Rebellion) base, Leia gives Finn the lightsaber and Han promises to hurry back.

- In the First Order castle dungeon, Rey uses her "special skills" (ie, Jedi mind trick) to get stormtroopers to leave their post.

- The Falcon makes an "emergency stop" to get near the castle where Rey is being held. This location may also house the enemy's new super weapon.

- It sounds like the Falcon comes out of lightspeed near the location (probably to evade being detected), which causes Han, Finn and Chewie to scream at their sudden arrival.

- The ship crashes through trees before coming to a stop. Finn then takes a moment to console Han about Kylo Ren.

So why would Han need to be consoled about Kylo Ren - who is apparently still alive - if he didn't just discover this masked villain was his son? It's also the first mention we've heard of Rey using the Force in the film (other than her amazing fighting skills).
Old 04-29-15, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts

^
Not surprising...

Spoiler:
Always thought Adam Driver sort of has a Harrison Fordy look. Daisy Ridley also looks a bit like Natalie Portman, so it's probably a given that she's either Kylo Ren's sister or cousin.
Old 04-29-15, 09:14 AM

^

Spoiler:
It does feel a bit ironic that they discarded the old EU, yet are apparently recycling the Solo son becomes a Sith storyline. From past spoilers, I'm guessing Kylo and Rey were both training at a Jedi academy several years earlier and then got separated during an attack that left the other padawans dead. Perhaps Kylo was abducted by the new baddie (Serkis?) due to his relation to Vader and was assumed dead by Han and Leia. Maybe the guilt from that is why Luke exiled himself?

Still not sure what the deal is with Rey. If Han is her dad, why is she living an isolated life as a scavenger? Even if she was in hiding, you'd think she would be put in less dangerous surroundings. But if she's really a Force user and former student of Luke's, it's too coincidental that she would randomly end up stealing the Falcon without knowing who it belonged to (as the earlier reports suggested). Still a lot of missing pieces to this puzzle...
Old 04-29-15, 12:33 PM

Just from these latest spoilers, my thought was

Spoiler:
It sounds like a cousin thing: Rey being Luke's daughter and Kylo, Han and Leia's son. Not knowing where her dad is could be a reason why Rey's on her own as a scavenger.

Probably wrong, but that's my impression.
Old 04-29-15, 12:40 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redcon1
Just from these latest spoilers, my thought was

Spoiler:
It sounds like a cousin thing: Rey being Luke's daughter and Kylo, Han and Leia's son. Not knowing where her dad is could be a reason why Rey's on her own as a scavenger.

Probably wrong, but that's my impression.
Spoiler:
It's a cousin-brother-sister thing.

Kylo is Han and Leia's son.
Rey is Luke and Leia's daughter.

Spoiler:
Finn is also Lando and Leia's son.
Old 04-29-15, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 306 Posts

^^ Star Wars-tucky?
Old 04-29-15, 01:09 PM

Star WArkansas
Old 04-29-15, 01:15 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well that would explain why Leia looks the way she does today. Especially w/ Lando around.
Old 04-29-15, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey once you go black you can never go back.
Old 04-29-15, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam
Hey once you go black you can never go back.
Lando's just paying Han back for stealing the Falcon.
Old 04-29-15, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good point about Disney, though if he insists the way Nolan did, he's certainly in a position to get them to budge.
For now

In L.A. the 35/70mm showings of Interstellar were a big deal.
I was privileged to see it in 70mm, I think it'll be IMAX's last major release on film.

They opened a few days earlier in those formats, so that's how most of us in town saw it, if we went during opening week. I saw it in 70mm in the IMAX at Universal Studios, and that was pretty glorious. I also caught the 70mm run of Inherent Vice at the Arclight Dome in Hollywood. I assume the film/digital thing isn't a big deal outside of L.A. but there's still a very active film appreciation community here.
Must be nice ;( .

Most of us work in digital or TV, but we grew up idolizing the cinema so I think that accounts for it.
The whole entertainment industry is largely base there, so it's not supervising.

That said, we had a disaster of a 70mm 2001 screening on sunday which was shut down by the projectionists union. I was PISSED because I'm worried that'll just scare theatres away from these celluloid screenings.
Well, there are just as many possible problems with digital projection, but they and Dave Norris are probably the three remaining projectionists around, so they aren't in much of an enviable position. I doubt that if a cinema specifically advertised a film screening, it'd draw any more dollars than usual, and would be a lot more expensive to set up.

Originally Posted by bluetoast
If they do, the AFI in Silver Spring will probably get their hands on a print. They had Ep IV in 35 mm last August.
No doubt of the 1997 version .
Old 04-30-15, 03:56 AM

The first press conference for The Force Awakens is supposed to happen in Tokyo some time today. One report claims George Lucas personally chose Japan and that he will be joining Daisy Ridley and Kathleen Kennedy in answering questions.

Sounds pretty doubtful to me. Lucas has told reporters they aren't using his stories and has seemingly kept his distance from the production. Unless it's just a courtesy to Kennedy, I'm not sure why he'd want to participate in a press conference for this movie. Guess we'll find out shortly.

http://www.starwars7news.com/2015/04...-april-30.html

EDIT: Seems they're already there, but still no Lucas sighting:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eDPMMRDm3d0?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by joe_b; 04-30-15 at 04:15 AM.
Old 04-30-15, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

No doubt of the 1997 version .
Sadly, true. On Twitter the theater said that the studio only gives out SE prints.
Old 04-30-15, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lucas went out of his way to acquire and destroy every print of the originals he could find.
Old 05-01-15, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Lucas went out of his way to acquire and destroy every print of the originals he could find.
And if you listen between the lines to people doing showings, they'll officially rent the SE prints from Lucasfilm/Fox, but then show a private copy of the original versions.

If Disney will be doing the UOT on Bluray, this is one source they'll be able to use: quietly reaching out to a private collector.

Also, I've little doubt Fox themselves stashed away their own copies "just in case".
Old 05-01-15, 10:03 AM

Our first look at C-3PO in The Force Awakens comes from a children's furniture catalogue:

Spoiler:

What's with the red arm?

And why does Chewie look calico?

The official teaser poster is just the logo. I saw it hanging in my local theater last night:

Probably the weakest Star Wars movie poster ever. I'd understand if this was released with the first trailer last November, but they really should have put out something more creative by this point.
Old 05-01-15, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by joe_b
Our first look at C-3PO in The Force Awakens comes from a children's furniture catalogue:

Spoiler:

What's with the red arm?

And why does Chewie look calico?

The official teaser poster is just the logo. I saw it hanging in my local theater last night:

Probably the weakest Star Wars movie poster ever. I'd understand if this was released with the first trailer last November, but they really should have put out something more creative by this point.
Could be worse. It could be shot of a character from the back.
Old 05-01-15, 12:30 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Got a source for that?
Old 05-02-15, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

At the showing of Avengers: AoU, saw the trailer in IMAX 3D and, man, did it look great. I got goosebumps all over again

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.