Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-15, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fis

New pinch of salt rumor posted on MakingStarWars, but BIG SPOILER if true:

Spoiler:
The movie features a weapon based on a remote planet. The weapon can detect Jedi across the Galaxy and is used by the Empire to hunt them down. This is why some Jedi are in hiding.

A major new ship codenamed ‘the mirror’ is also somehow connected to the weapon. The weapon is either too large or too powerful to be destroyed. So…….the planet must be destroyed. And how do you destroy a planet in Star Wars? A Death Star. Leia, has to make an incredible decision to use a Death Star to destroy a planet. The planet is inhabited apart from Imperials. The Death Star? It was being built in secret by the New Republic. Leia discovers whats been going on and then has to make a decision whether to use it or not.
A THIRD Death Star? At least using it as a weapon for the good guys sounds like an interesting twist (mainly the moral dilemma it would present, especially for Leia), but a plot like that would have felt a lot more novel if they hadn't already rehashed the Death Star in RotJ. Which brings me to another part of the article:

This might come as a shock considering what all the actors have been saying but not everyone is entirely happy with the way the movie is heading. Several people have told me they feel like they are just ‘going over old ground’ with the things they are being asked to work on. The feeling is that The Force Awakens is a rehash of the original movie and doesn’t have enough new ideas in it.

The prequels were full of new ideas and concepts but as one person put it to me there’s a ‘lack of imagination’ around The Force Awakens and everything is just a riff on what’s already been done.
Sounds a lot like 'Rebels'.

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/02/st...super-weapons/
Old 02-02-15, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fis

Originally Posted by joe_b
New pinch of salt rumor posted on MakingStarWars, but BIG SPOILER if true:

Spoiler:
A THIRD Death Star? At least using it as a weapon for the good guys sounds like an interesting twist (mainly the moral dilemma it would present, especially for Leia), but a plot like that would have felt a lot more novel if they hadn't already rehashed the Death Star in RotJ. Which brings me to another part of the article:

Sounds a lot like 'Rebels'.

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/02/st...super-weapons/
This sounds more like something that was in the now-abandoned Lucas treatment. It also doesn't mesh will all the rumors we've heard about the script being too good for Abrams (and Anthony Daniels' comment that the story is better than THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK).
Old 02-02-15, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
Most would. Rebels really blows
The latest episode (which can only be streamed on the Disney XD app as far as I know) is great Star Wars, period.
Old 02-02-15, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Spoiler:
I think that article is bullshit to be honest. The idea of a third Death Star seems like too much of a re-hash, plus the idea that the Rebels would be using it doesn't sound right to me.
Old 02-02-15, 05:33 PM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Re-hashing old stuff and lack of imagination in a J.J. Abrams film? Perish the thought.
Old 02-02-15, 05:36 PM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
(and Anthony Daniels' comment that the story is better than THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK).
What were you expecting him to say about the new movie he was appearing in? "No, it's a piece of shit, but I want you to go see it anyway."?
Old 02-02-15, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PatD
Re-hashing old stuff and lack of imagination in a J.J. Abrams film? Perish the thought.
Except I think Disney is smart enough and is keeping a close eye over what Abrams is doing. They don't want to fuck up the first Star Wars film under their banner and especially with it being a comeback film.
Old 02-02-15, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Misinformation. Nobody would be stupid enough to do that spoiler.
Old 02-02-15, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Huge corporations dump money onto horrible works of entertainment all the time. Suggesting that Disney couldn't possibly mess up a Star Wars movie is naive to the extreme.
Old 02-02-15, 06:14 PM
Suspended

If that spoiler is true, which I wouldn't put it past them. Because they want stuff that is familiar

I hope
Spoiler:
it's Tatooine, so we never have to see it again.
Old 02-02-15, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Huge corporations dump money onto horrible works of entertainment all the time. Suggesting that Disney couldn't possibly mess up a Star Wars movie is naive to the extreme.
I'm not saying that they can't mess it up, however I don't think its very likely that they will. At this point they know they're basically resurrecting Star Wars in the eyes of many fans after the Prequel Trilogy. I would bet that they're doing the best that they can to make sure that they don't fuck up this film. Plus I have quite a bit of faith in Disney after what they've done with the MCU. They've managed to churn out great films on a consistent basis with that license and are still going strong with it. Plus not to mention they've been producing decent films under their own banner as well as with Pixar for quite some time.
Old 02-02-15, 06:47 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Plus I have quite a bit of faith in Disney after what they've done with the MCU. They've managed to churn out great films on a consistent basis with that license and are still going strong with it. Plus not to mention they've been producing decent films under their own banner as well as with Pixar for quite some time.
The MCU was pretty well established before Disney bought Marvel. From my understanding, Feige and co. are the ones steering that ship and Disney is letting them do their thing as long as the films continue to turn a profit. Why mess with success? They also clearly have immense faith in the Pixar crew, as evidenced by the huge budget and creative freedom they gave Andrew Stanton for 'John Carter' when he wanted to make the leap to live action. That decision clearly didn't pay off for the studio.

As for the creative team here: Abrams, Kennedy and Kasdan have all worked on good and not so good films over the years. We're all just keeping our fingers crossed this movie is one of the good ones. I can easily see the studio wanting to rehash the crap out of the OT to appeal to what they think the Joe Sixpack audience expects from a Star Wars movie. I'll prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Last edited by joe_b; 02-02-15 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-02-15, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joe_b
The MCU was pretty well established before Disney bought Marvel. From my understanding, Feige and co. are the ones steering that ship and Disney is letting them do their thing as long as the films continue to turn a profit. Same with the Pixar crew.
Regardless though, if Disney wanted to step in and throw their weight around and say certain things can't be done in the MCU or whatever I'm sure that they would have by now. It doesn't really seem like that's been the case thus far though. Some of the new Marvel films contain fairly dark elements, and it looks like Age of Ultron is only going to expand that. I think that speaks to what Disney is willing to do with these brands (within reason) to keep them on a successful track.

Disney isn't a dumb company by any means and I think some people aren't giving them enough credit to be honest. They realize that Star Wars is a huge brand and that they have the potential to make it even bigger, but the way to do that is by not hindering it and telling great stories for all ages. I'm sure in some ways The Force Awakens will be a nostalgia trip just because it is the comeback film, but I fully expect that the franchise will go in a somewhat new direction after this film.
Old 02-02-15, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

If there is a death star in the film I will rip my seat out of the floor and charge the screen with it.
Old 02-02-15, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
The weapon is either too large or too powerful to be destroyed. So…….the planet must be destroyed. And how do you destroy a planet in Star Wars? A Death Star. Leia, has to make an incredible decision to use a Death Star to destroy a planet. The planet is inhabited apart from Imperials. The Death Star? It was being built in secret by the New Republic. Leia discovers whats been going on and then has to make a decision whether to use it or not.
Great. So first JJ turns Star Trek into a Star Wars-style action series, now he's going to turn Star Wars into a Star Trek-style story about moral dilemmas.
Old 02-02-15, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
If there is a death star in the film I will rip my seat out of the floor and charge the screen with it.
Can I go see it with you? I really just want to see you do this.
Old 02-02-15, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Great. So first JJ turns Star Trek into a Star Wars-style action series, now he's going to turn Star Wars into a Star Trek-style story about moral dilemmas.
Maybe he's from the Mirror Universe?
Old 02-03-15, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I knew it was just a matter of time before those spoilers burst their way out into the open.
Old 02-03-15, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I can't believe they would have another death star. The way I look at it (since Lucas is out of the picture) everyone involved in this is not going to rehash the mistakes of ROTJ or the PT. I would even go as far to say that everyone involved in this film would say that SW'77 and ESB are their favorites. The problem with the PT is that there were all yes men (including Rick McCallum), as there was nobody to say, "George, this Jar Jar Binks guy in Episode 1 is really ridiculous, we need to tone him down!"

JJ & everyone else is aware of what the fans hated from the previous 4 movies. We don't want more Ewoks, we don't want another Death Star, we don't want Jar Jar, we don't want Hayden Christenson ghost in this movie, etc. Now of course I'm not saying it can't happen because I could be totally wrong, but I think the only nostalgia things we will see from the OT is Luke, Leia, Han, Chewy, The Falcon, Stormtroopers, etc.
Old 02-03-15, 10:58 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In other words.... the good shit.
Old 02-03-15, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't really mind the Death Star II in Return of the Jedi to be honest. I think doing it a third time might be stretching it though.
Old 02-03-15, 11:32 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

yeah, because the previous Death Stars were so successful.
Old 02-03-15, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Spoiler:
If they use a new Death Star to destroy a planet it better be Tattoine after the villain strands Luke on another planet so he has to watch. Then Han and Chewy can go searching for Luke and magically land the Falcon right in the spot where his is at.
Old 02-03-15, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
yeah, because the previous Death Stars were so successful.
Exactly! Third time's the charm. This time, maybe they'll learn to close all the tunnels, vents, etc. that lead directly to the reactor.
Old 02-03-15, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
Eh, even if he pulls a Star Trek and rehashes, at least it'll be entertaining, unlike the last 3 4 entries in this franchise.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.