Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-15, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fis

I don't really know why anyone would expect him in a future Star Wars film. The Force Awakens is obviously after the Original Trilogy so there wouldn't be much reason to show his version of Obi-Wan unless it was a flashback, but even in a flashback it would make more sense for it to be old Ben which couldn't happen unless it was CG or something. I doubt they'll make future films using Obi-Wan in the Prequel Trilogy era either and his character had a pretty full story arc through the films. The only thing that could be done is if Disney ever decided to do a film that bridged the gap between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.
Old 01-26-15, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fis

Originally Posted by mcnabb
That is why it will be interesting to see what Disney does with TFA? I had no faith in Lucas to make this trilogy, as I feel it would have suffered the same problems as ROTJ/PT. But if TFA suffers the same problems under Disney, then we can kind of just say that in the end they went to the well with too many movies in this franchise and should have just stopped in 1983. But if TFA and the ST turn out good, then we will all look back and wished Lucas sold the franchise before the PT.
What's interesting about this to me is that there are plenty of great stories in the Expanded Universe that would have made great movies. I realize that these aren't popular with some, but there are at least 3 movies in there somewhere that would have been great.

That said, I do have high hopes for the new ones. I definitely feel the right people are involved.
Old 01-26-15, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
The only thing that could be done is if Disney ever decided to do a film that bridged the gap between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.
This exactly. And that kind of seems like a no-brainer for Disney considering the popularity of the character.
Old 01-26-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I don't really know why anyone would expect him in a future Star Wars film. The Force Awakens is obviously after the Original Trilogy so there wouldn't be much reason to show his version of Obi-Wan unless it was a flashback, but even in a flashback it would make more sense for it to be old Ben which couldn't happen unless it was CG or something. I doubt they'll make future films using Obi-Wan in the Prequel Trilogy era either and his character had a pretty full story arc through the films. The only thing that could be done is if Disney ever decided to do a film that bridged the gap between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope.
If they ever did anything new with force ghost Obi-Wan, personally I would rather that they made up McGregor to look old rather than cast a third actor in the role. Why cast a new actor when you still have an actor that audiences will accept as Obi-Wan?
Old 01-26-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

I recall that an Obi-Wan Kenobi solo movie was mentioned as a possibility, along with a young Han Solo movie and a bounty hunters movie, when it was announced that they were doing movies apart from the numbered saga. Presumably Ewan would star in one of those, most likely set between RotS and ANH.
Old 01-26-15, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

I guess I thought an Obi-Wan film had been talked about but only quite some time ago, before Disney even bought Lucasfilm. I could be wrong though. I just sort of assumed it was brushed off to the sidelines for now. I could see it happening eventually maybe but it sort of seems like the strategy is to not focus too much on the Prequel Trilogy for now. Maybe that'll change down the line.
Old 01-26-15, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah sure they figured bringing in Ewan would just trigger bad memories of the PT.
Old 01-26-15, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Yeah sure they figured bringing in Ewan would just trigger bad memories of the PT.
Thank you Dr. Ranger ... I think you found the cause of my PTSD ... Prequel Trilogy Stress Disorder!
Old 01-26-15, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Wouldn't mind seeing an Obi-Won pic or two, but there's no rush with Ewan, he was already 10+yrs too young to be playing him in the prequels. We can wait awhile longer for him to at least look a little older, lol.
Old 01-27-15, 10:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Wouldn't mind seeing an Obi-Won pic or two, but there's no rush with Ewan, he was already 10+yrs too young to be playing him in the prequels. We can wait awhile longer for him to at least look a little older, lol.
I never understand why people think Ewan was too young. I think these people just have faulty memories and incorrectly think Alec was some super old dude, which I guess is kind of understandable since most of us saw the Star Wars OT when we were kids, and kids always think anyone who looks remotely old is super old.

Alec really wasn't that old at all.

According to wikipedia, Ewan was born in 1971 and Alec was born in 1914. So Ewan would have been 28 in The Phantom Menace, and Alec would have been 63 in Star Wars '77.

So if Ewan/Obi-Wan was 28 in TPM, and AOTC was 10 years after TPM, then he would be 38 in AOTC. Another 3 years (I think) are between AOTC and ROTS, so he would be 41 in ROTS. Then 20 years between ROTS and ANH would make him 61, which is only two years short of Alec's age at the time.
Old 01-27-15, 11:23 AM

I take more issue with Joel Edgerton and Bonnie Piesse as young Owen and Beru. Both actors were a good 10-15 younger than they should have been. Slaving away on those moisture vaporators must really age a person.
Old 01-27-15, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
I take more issue with Joel Edgerton and Bonnie Piesse as young Owen and Beru. Both actors were a good 10-15 younger than they should have been. Slaving away on those moisture vaporators must really age a person.
Could well be. Stress can age a person. There's a manager at my job that we all swore was in his early 50's. It turns out he's only 30 years old.
Old 01-27-15, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Not to mention all the years of exposure to 2 suns on a desert planet.
Old 01-27-15, 01:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't apologize for any of the shit in the Prequels. Lars and Beru were poorly cast, period.
Old 01-27-15, 03:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why would you need a flashback to include Obi-Wan? Holocron, bitches!
Old 01-27-15, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Why would you need a flashback to include Obi-Wan? Holocron, bitches!

Or guidebooks.
Old 01-28-15, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 01-28-15, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
That's enough to encourage a few more ...

Han: "Chewie. Chewie! CHEWIE! Hey, you remember that time we were running through the Death Star and ran into ten battallions of Stormtroopers?"
Chewbacca: "Rrrrraaawwww. Waaaaarrrrraaaaawwwaaaa." (Translation: We ran into a dead end, you old coot.)
Han: "Ran into a what? What are you talking about. I got a hero's medal; you didn't! If I say it was ten battallions, it was ten battallions. And we could have taken them all!"

Han: "After eating some of the 'shrooms, we all started wigging out and saw these magic teddy bears who helped us defeat the Empire."
Leia: "No dear. That one actually happened."
I'm late but this stuff was awesome.
Old 01-30-15, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
According to wikipedia, Ewan was born in 1971 and Alec was born in 1914. So Ewan would have been 28 in The Phantom Menace, and Alec would have been 63 in Star Wars '77.

So if Ewan/Obi-Wan was 28 in TPM, and AOTC was 10 years after TPM, then he would be 38 in AOTC. Another 3 years (I think) are between AOTC and ROTS, so he would be 41 in ROTS. Then 20 years between ROTS and ANH would make him 61, which is only two years short of Alec's age at the time.
They filmed ROTS in 2003, so Ewan was 32ish... about 10yrs younger than the story called for. That isn't a bad thing - Ewan is about the only thing anyone would have interest in re-visiting from the prequels after all. I was just suggesting that there isn't any rush to feature him in one of these spin-offs. He's only 44 now, and looks much younger any ways.
Old 01-30-15, 06:50 AM

MakingStarWars posted the first description of what one of Leia's costumes looks like:

Spoiler:
Princess Leia is wearing a solid jumpsuit. It is grayish blue. She wears a black vest which hangs below her waist. The vest is more in the style of the Tantive IV trooper than Han Solo’s classic vest. The jumpsuit has an open button-down collar and the cuffs are rolled up about two inches at her wrists. She has a thick black belt with a silver belt-buckle (very 1980). Her hair is braided and pulled over to the side so it hangs over her left shoulder in a ponytail. Her hair is grey with dark blonde tones to it. She has dark black boots on with a darker black band around the top of them.
With those duds, it sounds like she might be seeing some action. Nice.
Read the full article here (including descriptions of Han and Chewie):

http://makingstarwars.net/2015/01/st...-descriptions/
Old 01-30-15, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

There's a rumor that the Hutts (multiple ones) will appear in The Force Awakens...hopefully, just a cameo - maybe Han needs to deal with them over something.

http://www.latino-review.com/news/st...m-newest-hutts
Old 01-30-15, 03:43 PM

^ And practical, no less. If the Special Editions taught us anything, it's that a CG Hutt can't hold a candle to a rubber one.

As for what role they might play, there was an old rumor about a piece of concept art depicting Leia and two guards standing before several Hutts. After killing Jabba, she might still be persona non grata with their kind... or maybe they're cool with it and just grateful she finally got rid of the bastard.
Old 01-30-15, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 01-30-15, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Did anyone that actually saw Leia kill Jabba actually survive though? I don't see Leia bragging about killing him.

Also, I still think that the average Hutt should not be morbidly obese like Jabba. Otherwise, Jabba is nothing out of the ordinary for his species. Plus I thought Jabba was killing Jedi when he was younger. Hard to do that if you're a big blob that can barely move around.
Old 01-30-15, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by windom
Did anyone that actually saw Leia kill Jabba actually survive though? I don't see Leia bragging about killing him.
True. At the very least, the rest of Jabba's court that wasn't on the sail barge would know Luke and company were responsible. That might cause some interesting complications if Leia and the Republic ever needed to call on the Hutts for something.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.