Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-14, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fis

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Meh, nothing special.
Agreed. The Falcon shot was cool but otherwise it's just a bunch of random shit tossed together. It looks like a fan made trailer/teaser.
Old 11-28-14, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fis

That shot of the Falcon with the Star Wars theme behind it was literally breathtaking.
Old 11-28-14, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Strevlac
I can't believe there are people dumping on this teaser, it was awesome. It looks like everything the prequels aren't. Complete opposite.

I love the fact that the first shot is a black dude popping in to the frame in the middle of the desert, looking crazy distressed. It teases the situation perfectly: who the hell is this black dude, why is he in the desert, why is he wearing a stormtrooper uniform, and why is he so upset? Why am I seeing real acting in star wars for the first time in 34 years? Did anyone in the prequels have a visible drop of sweat on them or look genuinely distressed in any way?

Then the little soccerball droid. That shit looked genuinely funny. Like, they meant it to be funny and not on accident. See? Complete opposite of the prequels again.

X Wings. Falcon. How can anyone not like that?
Wow, you're extrapolating a lot from a few scenes. Methinks you're projecting far more what you want and expect this to be over what is actually presented on screen.
Old 11-28-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I can't believe there are people dumping on this teaser, it was awesome. It looks like everything the prequels aren't. Complete opposite.

I love the fact that the first shot is a black dude popping in to the frame in the middle of the desert, looking crazy distressed. It teases the situation perfectly: who the hell is this black dude, why is he in the desert, why is he wearing a stormtrooper uniform, and why is he so upset? Why am I seeing real acting in star wars for the first time in 34 years? Did anyone in the prequels have a visible drop of sweat on them or look genuinely distressed in any way?

Then the little soccerball droid. That shit looked genuinely funny. Like, they meant it to be funny and not on accident. See? Complete opposite of the prequels again.

X Wings. Falcon. How can anyone not like that?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gZEdDMQZaCU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-28-14, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Wow, you're extrapolating a lot from a few scenes. Methinks you're projecting far more what you want and expect this to be over what is actually presented on screen.
What am I extrapoliting?
Old 11-28-14, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Seriously.
Old 11-28-14, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, that teaser was better than most full films I've seen recently! LOVE that shaky cam is back, that was the best part of the Ep2 battles. It's gonna be a looonnng year wait
Old 11-28-14, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I love the fact that the first shot is a black dude popping in to the frame in the middle of the desert, looking crazy distressed. It teases the situation perfectly: who the hell is this black dude, why is he in the desert, why is he wearing a stormtrooper uniform, and why is he so upset?
Old 11-28-14, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM

Looks promising. Not sure why they felt compelled to give significant screen time to that robot ball guy tho.
I hope that is not this generation of R2
Old 11-28-14, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hell, all you really had to do was do some voice over work, and a 2 second clip of the falcon dodging Tie Fighters and you have me sold.
Old 11-28-14, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haters gonna hate. Then again I'm pretty much that guy in the BvS threads so I really shouldn't complain.
Old 11-28-14, 11:11 AM

I'm reading that the voice over is Andy Serkis, which I can't believe I didn't place before reading it.

And the Official SW twitter confirmed that was some new John Williams score.
Old 11-28-14, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

Old 11-28-14, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That trailer felt more like Star Wars than all the prequels combined. I'm down for this!
Old 11-28-14, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

What am I extrapoliting?
Everything. I don't see how anyone can say it looks the opposite of the prequels after a few scenes (remember, Darth Maul looked bad ass when the first Phanton Menace trailers came out too). And judging the acting already from a few seconds of a panic'd guy in the desert? "Genuinely funny" from a little ball droid rolling on the ground? I hope you're just trolling

It's a teaser that showed a bunch of scenes out of context, some visually cool and some were just blah. I don't think it was anything super amazing or particularly dull. Like DaveyJoe said, the internet has to work in extremes
Old 11-28-14, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

For the first few moments, I thought it was Harrison Ford narrating, which would not have made sense. By the second line I realized it wasn't.

No issue here with this film (series?) having a different look, although the Falcon shot was too distinctively JJ Abrams-style.

I didn't care for the rolling droid at all. Felt as if it was a function of a needed joke not a working function of the world it is in. That felt very prequel-ish. Now, if there is a scene of Harrison Ford running away from him, I will be OK with the in-joke.

Everybody is creaming over the Falcon, I was popping over the X-Wing shot ...

Verdict -- Tease successful!
Old 11-28-14, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

My wife said it looked more real than the prequels. I feel the same. The Falcon shot was great.
Old 11-28-14, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

As someone who has felt SW has sucked hairy goat balls from 1983 thru, I actually find my interest piqued by this.
The only negative is the amount of screentime , in a very short teaser, devoted to that ball droid. Would have rather seen quick glimpses of some of the other new characters.

Definitely a good thing they aren't focusing on the older characters. If people don't think they are going to be getting the equivalent of Crystal Skull era Karen Allens with those guys (with the possible exception of Hamill), they're fooling themselves. Anything more than cameos from Ford and Fisher is likely to be very embarrassing. And even cameos will likely drag the forward momentum of the narrative down while the audience is allowed to gawk at 'their old favorites'.
Old 11-28-14, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Wow they fucked up the lightsaber. They trying to make it look like a sword? It looks stupid.
Old 11-28-14, 11:27 AM
Banned

Am I the only one that recognized the probe droid signal from The Empire Strikes Back?
Old 11-28-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by antspawn
Wow they fucked up the lightsaber. They trying to make it look like a sword? It looks stupid.
Might be some ancient force relic or something like that.
Old 11-28-14, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by antspawn
I realize a lot of people are annoyed by the attempt at giving a saber a broadsword aesthetic, but it doesn't bother me.
The light saber itself seems to be a huge contrivance in universe where the ability to blast something accurately from a distance is fully viable.
Old 11-28-14, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I kinda liked the lightsaber
Old 11-28-14, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mrhan
That trailer felt more like Star Wars than all the prequels combined. I'm down for this!
That's just the thing: I think the exact opposite.

I think you could easily make the case that stuff like PT-era Tattooine and all the full-circle ANH fan service in ROTS was much more stylistically consistent.

The way I see it, the PT is inherently different. Everything about the story justifies the obvious aesthetic differences. The unofficial promise implied by the existence of this movie is that it is designed to embrace the OT and will intentionally match the aesthetic. And there's just so much in that trailer that feels "off" and incongruous when compared to the OT.

Star Wars is a big universe and there's room for a lot of different stories to be told in different styles in that universe, and I certainly don't have any substantial objections to Star Wars JJ Abrams style, but I don't care how you slice it, this thing has a different feel.

I compared it to a fan film but it also gives off an EU vibe. Like something created by somebody with a mandate to use certain iconography while still making it different. That droid is a perfect example. It's like "we came up with a new kind of droid but we put an R2 head on it so its Star Wars."
Old 11-28-14, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

There was more acting in that 3-second shot of John Boyega than there was in the entire prequel trilogy.

Also, I think the droid we see is Daisy Ridley's character's in the new movie, so we'll be seeing a lot of it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.