Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-14, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher, Serkis, von Syd

Originally Posted by mcnabb
As the Mr. Verson said in 'The Breakfast Club' says to Carl the custodian, "You know what keeps me up at night, these kids are going to be running the country someday!"
At least you can rest assured that your next cruise will be goo-free.
Old 09-25-14, 01:00 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher, Serkis, von Syd

Old 09-25-14, 01:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Latest Cyberdyne Stormtrooper I presume.
Old 09-25-14, 02:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
As the Mr. Vernon said in 'The Breakfast Club' says to Carl the custodian, "You know what keeps me up at night, these kids are going to be running the country someday!"
I hate it when people say stuff like this. No, these kids are not future leaders at all. Every generation has lots and lots of idiots. The "new" generation is hardly unique in that regard. The idiots of previous generations did not grow up to become leaders of the country. The idiots of this generation will also not grow up to be leaders of the country. These people will not fill leadership positions; instead they will fill the unskilled, low wage positions across the country. (Yes, I do realize I left myself open for jokes about Obama/Bush/whoever being an idiot running the country.)
Old 09-25-14, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
I hate it when people say stuff like this. No, these kids are not future leaders at all. Every generation has lots and lots of idiots. The "new" generation is hardly unique in that regard. The idiots of previous generations did not grow up to become leaders of the country. The idiots of this generation will also not grow up to be leaders of the country. These people will not fill leadership positions; instead they will fill the unskilled, low wage positions across the country. (Yes, I do realize I left myself open for jokes about Obama/Bush/whoever being an idiot running the country.)
The best minds of the Baby Boomer and Millennial generations do not seem to have gone into politics.
Old 09-25-14, 02:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
The best minds of the Baby Boomer and Millennial generations do not seem to have gone into politics.
Not the best minds, but not the worst minds either... Idiots of any generation are not going to be running the country or ever going to be in any leadership position, except as perhaps a shift leader at McDonalds.
Old 09-25-14, 02:58 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey. Those people are the hands to our fat fuck nature.
Old 09-28-14, 05:58 PM
Cool New Member

Idiots of any generation are not going to be running the country or ever going to be in any leadership position
Oh my, where to even start?

8 of the Dumbest Things Ever Said By Politicians:
http://www.realclear.com/politics/20...ians_8692.html
Old 09-29-14, 08:42 AM

Maybe they will, maybe they won't. But what I find equally frightening is that these stupid fucks are the ones that are going to be picking our future leaders and that is just as bad.
Old 09-29-14, 09:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by HopToIt
Oh my, where to even start?

8 of the Dumbest Things Ever Said By Politicians:
http://www.realclear.com/politics/20...ians_8692.html
I am unsure, but some of those could have been taken out of context. Also, everyone says stupid stuff once in awhile. Even incredibly bright people will occasionally say something stupid. Especially if you're thrown into the headlight without time to prepare, something stupid might roll out of your mouth.

Originally Posted by Binger
Maybe they will, maybe they won't. But what I find equally frightening is that these stupid fucks are the ones that are going to be picking our future leaders and that is just as bad.
How is that any different than the past or present? Idiots of all generations are eligible to vote.
Old 09-29-14, 09:03 AM

MOD NOTE: Lets drop this conversation please. This is not a political forum.
Old 09-29-14, 09:07 AM
Banned

But the prequel trilogy was full of politics...
Old 09-29-14, 09:10 AM

Touche... but this is getting off topic. Thanks.
Old 09-29-14, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

David Fincher spoke with Total Film and mentioned his hesitation when he was approached about Episode VII.

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/david-...isode-vii#null

"I talked to Kathy about it, but I think that it's a different thing from... I don't know what Disney-Lucasfilm will be like," he says of the studio merger that resulted in a new batch of Star Wars films being greenlit.

"It's tricky," he adds. "My favourite is The Empire Strikes Back. If I said, 'I want to do something more like that,' then I'm sure the people paying for it would be like, 'No! You can't do that! We want it like the other one with all the creatures!'

"I always thought of Star Wars as the story of two slaves [C-3PO and R2-D2] who go from owner to owner, witnessing their masters' folly, the ultimate folly of man... I thought it was an interesting idea in the first two, but it's kind of gone by Return Of The Jedi."
I really don't agree with his assessment of the first two films. Rising up against tyranny and the hero's journey were the major themes, which can hardly be viewed as folly -- even through the eyes of a prissy coward like Threepio. Fincher may be a talented filmmaker, but I truly feel he would have been all wrong for this. I'm confident Abrams is at least more in tune with what makes Star Wars tick.

It seems Kennedy was casting a wide net when looking for directors for this thing. I'm still in disbelief they actually approached Cronenberg about it. While perhaps more ill-suited than Fincher, part of me would be curious to see what kind of movie the master of venereal horror would've turned this into.
Old 09-29-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Yeah, Cronenberg is a very interesting choice. It seems bizarre but he does have a solid background in Science Fiction, and they also approached him to direct Return of the Jedi. I would love to see a Cronenberg Star Wars movie.
Old 09-29-14, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

David Cronenberg should remake The Phantom Menace
Lars von Trier should remake Attack Of The Clones
David Lynch should remake Revenge Of The Sith
Old 09-29-14, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Apparently, Lynch actually was talked about to direct ROTJ at one point. I think Rian Johnson is about as "arty" a director as we're going to be seeing, Disney don't want to toss any chances with this franchise, I'm fairly sure.
Old 09-29-14, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't embed the image right now but John Boyega posted on his Instagram yesterday a pic of an IMAX camera on a desert setting.
Old 09-29-14, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I have zero interest in those directors with a franchise like Star Wars
Old 09-30-14, 02:46 AM

In the rumor pile, someone on the StarWars7News message board claims to have seen some footage and posted a description of a scene. This same story was posted on TheForce.net message boards about a month ago, but it may be the same guy spreading it again.

Spoiler:
Daisy Ridley's character walks into a cantina with Chewie (who has his arm in a sling). She is confronted by an alien and points a blaster at him. He tells her not to point that thing at someone if she's not prepared to use it, then snatches it from her. Chewie steps up to the guy, but he says "What good is a one-armed Wookiee?" Chewie then proceeds to rip the alien's arm from it's socket and hand the blaster back to the girl.

At first, I thought this read like fanfic because it's way too similar to the scene where Luke gets confronted at the bar in A New Hope. It also sounds a bit graphic, but I guess that would depend on how it's shot and what the alien looks like.

Last edited by joe_b; 12-21-15 at 05:03 AM.
Old 10-01-14, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

^^ That sounds awesome!!!
Old 10-01-14, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
According to your avatar, everything is awesome.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 10-01-14 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-01-14, 10:27 AM

From the Golden Heart Gala in LA last night:

I suspect a small family of birds are living in Hamill's beard. Not sure if those two are done filming, but principal photography should be wrapping up soon. I read that Anthony Daniels and Oscar Isaac completed their scenes last week.
Old 10-01-14, 10:37 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
According to your avatar, everything is awesome.
did the cop ever say that?
Old 10-01-14, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Yeah, Cronenberg is a very interesting choice. It seems bizarre but he does have a solid background in Science Fiction, and they also approached him to direct Return of the Jedi. I would love to see a Cronenberg Star Wars movie.
http://www.totalfilm.com/news/david-...rn-of-the-jedi

David Cronenberg explains why he turned down Return Of The Jedi

...A long time ago I was approached for one second to do a Star Wars movie, which at that time was called Revenge Of The Jedi and then became Return Of The Jedi.
I was approached by Lucasfilm about that and it didn't take them long to realize that maybe that wasn't a good idea. You're really restricted by the format that's been established.
So for a really inventive or innovative director, that's being put in a straitjacket. And the visual style has been established and the characters have been cast - I mean,
you're not involved in casting the leads, which is of course, for a director, a hugely important thing...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.