Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-14, 04:31 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher, Serkis, von Syd

you've got to keep in mind that people ARE creatures of habit.

Look, young Luke craved excitement and adventure off of the dusty planet that he grew up on. Then he got that excitement, in spades. Now, as an older guy, he wants something mundane and familiar so he gravitates back to his home world. I don't see why people have such an issue with that.

but I am telling you, he's living out at old Ben's place, off the grid, and will have to begrudgingly come out of retirement to help fight a new threat.
Old 06-03-14, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher, Serkis, von Syd

The movie could go in any direction, but I'm hoping they don't turn Luke into another desert-dwelling hermit. I'm betting some other circumstances lead the new crew to Tatooine. Luke having the desire to return to a planet he clearly disliked and desperately tried to get away from (let alone hanging up his lightsaber and retiring there) just doesn't feel like the right choice to me. Not to mention it's where his surrogate parents were brutally murdered.

I'm curious to see how much screen time Hamill will have in this movie. All the official casting announcements list him last out of the big three. The trades claimed Abrams/Kasdan bulked up the roles of the original trio, but I wonder if they are still saving Luke for the end of the film as was previously rumored.

Last edited by joe_b; 06-03-14 at 06:53 AM.
Old 06-03-14, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is going to be my last look at spoiler photos:

http://www.tmz.com/2014/06/03/star-w...on-set-photos/
Old 06-03-14, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here. With all the leaks the last few days, the script is bound to hit the net soon. I'm staying out of this thread.
Old 06-03-14, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Knowing Abrams, he may distribute misinformation and false script.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 06-03-14 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-03-14, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Have to admit, going back to Tatooine seems lame unless it is for less than 5 minutes.
If Luke is indeed in hiding/hasn't been seen for years, it would certainly make sense that he's on Tatooine. There's probably a team sent there (led by Han?) to find him.
Old 06-03-14, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

It's way too speculative at this point to make any judgments about the film based on the notion that there are possibly some scenes on Tatooine. Frankly, it would be ridiculous if the new episodes didn't at least reference key locations from the OT in some form, so I'm not worried.

I also am really liking the visual elements I'm seeing in the photos. It seems much more in keeping with the look and feel of the OT than with the absurd over-used CGI of the prequels.
Old 06-03-14, 08:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by joe_b
The movie could go in any direction, but I'm hoping they don't turn Luke into another desert-dwelling hermit. I'm betting some other circumstances lead the new crew to Tatooine. Luke having the desire to return to a planet he clearly disliked and desperately tried to get away from (let alone hanging up his lightsaber and retiring there) just doesn't feel like the right choice to me. Not to mention it's where his surrogate parents were brutally murdered.
Luke didn't hate Tatooine. Anakin did, but not Luke. Luke was just incredibly bored with "small town" life, which is common for a lot of young people. Luke wanted to go off and adventure the "big city" but once he gets older it makes sense that he might want to settle down and return to the quieter life.

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
If Luke is indeed in hiding/hasn't been seen for years, it would certainly make sense that he's on Tatooine. There's probably a team sent there (led by Han?) to find him.
If he really wanted to hide, it makes more sense to me that he would go to Dagobah since it seems much more isolated than Tatooine.
Old 06-03-14, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
It's way too speculative at this point to make any judgments about the film based on the notion that there are possibly some scenes on Tatooine. Frankly, it would be ridiculous if the new episodes didn't at least reference key locations from the OT in some form, so I'm not worried.
I wanted them to go in a new direction entirely. The OT is great and we'll always have it, but Star Wars is a huge world that's rich with opportunity. Science Fiction is a great genre for creativity, I would have loved to see a new story with new locations and new characters. Instead it looks like the franchise is destined to live in the past, because people seem to want to watch the same thing over and over again. I mean really, a Boba Fett movie? And frankly, after six movies I'm sick of the Skywalkers.
Old 06-03-14, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I also am really liking the visual elements I'm seeing in the photos. It seems much more in keeping with the look and feel of the OT than with the absurd over-used CGI of the prequels.
The more I see these pics, the more convinced I am that they are out to marginalize the prequels and their look. If they do release the OOT, I could even see the SE's being left to wither as well.
Old 06-03-14, 09:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I wanted them to go in a new direction entirely. The OT is great and we'll always have it, but Star Wars is a huge world that's rich with opportunity. Science Fiction is a great genre for creativity, I would have loved to see a new story with new locations and new characters. Instead it looks like the franchise is destined to live in the past, because people seem to want to watch the same thing over and over again. I mean really, a Boba Fett movie? And frankly, after six movies I'm sick of the Skywalkers.
The "Episodes" have always been the story of the Skywalkers. The PT was Anakin. The OT was Luke. The ST should be Luke's or Leia's kids. That's the way it should be.

The spin-offs can handle other stories and characters, but the "Episodes" should definitely remain the Skywalker story.

It's not like these spin-offs are going to be few in number. Disney will probably make them until the end of time (or at least probably for the rest of our lifetimes).

I mean look at the MCU for example. Disney has been pumping out two MCU movies per year lately. We've had nine MCU movies since 2008 with the tenth coming in this August, and they have said they plan to continue with it until at least 2026. Star Wars is going to be the same.

Last edited by taffer; 06-03-14 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-03-14, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by taffer
The "Episodes" have always been the story of the Skywalkers. The PT was Anakin. The OT was Luke. The ST should be Luke's or Leia's kids. That's the way it should be.

The spin-offs can handle other stories and characters, but the "Episodes" should definitely remain the Skywalker story.
Says who? George Lucas? He sold off the rights, and after suffering through the prequels, I don't care about his vision anymore. Disney could have gone in any direction they wanted to. They chose this direction, not because the integrity of the story demanded it, but because they thought they'd make more money by including the original cast, and they're probably right.
Old 06-03-14, 09:47 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Some pics of the construction of the Falcon and other ships here: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...news/?a=101189
Old 06-03-14, 09:55 AM
Banned

Says who? George Lucas? He sold off the rights, and after suffering through the prequels, I don't care about his vision anymore. Disney could have gone in any direction they wanted to. They chose this direction, not because the integrity of the story demanded it, but because they thought they'd make more money by including the original cast, and they're probably right.
It's just tradition. You don't fix what isn't broken.
Old 06-03-14, 10:05 AM

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I love that Tatooine is this central location in the saga for three reasons:

1. I like that this outer rim nothing-of-a-planet appears to be the nexus of the universe. It reminds me of how the early Harry Potter films seem to revolve around everything happening in the girls' lavatory. Tatooine is just one of those places that collects a wide variety of energies all trying to hide away but get sucked right into it all.

2. And of course, perhaps that energy we call The Force is involved in this somehow. If the Force can be so strong in that cave on Degobah (and I recall there was speculation that's what helped Yoda hide there) is it possible it's the same with Tatooine and that's why Ben and now Luke could hide there? It strikes me that maybe the Force, like greatness, etc. appears in the places people least expect it.

3. Finally, in a film series where the characters could literally fly anywhere in the galaxy, where the heroes are on the run hiding on Yavin then Hoth then simply as a fleet, in a galaxy where whole planets get taken over or blown up, Tatooine is home. Tatooine is the closest semblance to "home" we get in any of these movies and I think that counts for something.
Old 06-03-14, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's just tradition. You don't fix what isn't broken.
I think it's safe to say that the Star Wars franchise is pretty broken.
Old 06-03-14, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by story
I love that Tatooine is this central location in the saga for three reasons:
Ugh. No. This series takes place in an entire galaxy and they've returned to this one (boring) planet in six out of seven movies. It is the embodiment of the small-universe problem Star Wars has. It also invalidates what made the place relevant to Luke's character in IV. It was a backwater, "flyover" planet. The whole point was our main character wanted to get away from there, because the galaxy had greater adventures to offer. But whatever; the Star Wars galaxy and it's planets are just as nuanced as levels out of a Super Mario Bros. game.
Old 06-03-14, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also from TMZ - Its the friggin Falcon!

Old 06-03-14, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If Luke is indeed in hiding/hasn't been seen for years, it would certainly make sense that he's on Tatooine.
No, if he wants to hide it'd make sense for him to settle on a planet he has no previous connection with. Returning to Tatooine would be like if Obi Wan decided to hide Anakin's son by sticking him with Anakin's only living relatives without even bothering to change the kid's last ... name.

Yeah, Luke's totally hiding on Tatooine.
Old 06-03-14, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder how pissed JJ is about the leaks.
Old 06-03-14, 11:03 AM
Banned

I think it's safe to say that the Star Wars franchise is pretty broken.
Ignoring personal bias, there is nothing fundamentally broken about it. The idea of exploring Anakin's past is good in theory, but in practice it just wasn't directed well.

Also, the movies still made a metric shit ton of cash, so it's hardly broken from a commercial prospective either.

Originally Posted by slop101
Ugh. No. This series takes place in an entire galaxy and they've returned to this one (boring) planet in six out of seven movies. It is the embodiment of the small-universe problem Star Wars has. It also invalidates what made the place relevant to Luke's character in IV. It was a backwater, "flyover" planet. The whole point was our main character wanted to get away from there, because the galaxy had greater adventures to offer. But whatever; the Star Wars galaxy and it's planets are just as nuanced as levels out of a Super Mario Bros. game.
But the ST Luke isn't the same as the OT Luke. OT Luke was young, so he wanted to explore like young people do. ST Luke is old and settled down and past his adventurous youth.

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
No, if he wants to hide it'd make sense for him to settle on a planet he has no previous connection with. Returning to Tatooine would be like if Obi Wan decided to hide Anakin's son by sticking him with Anakin's only living relatives without even bothering to change the kid's last ... name.

Anakin would never return to Tatooine. He absolutely hates the place. I don't remember if ROTS mentioned that or one of the books. Also, Anakin thought Padme died before she gave birth. As far as he knows, he has no children. So why would he go looking for them if he doesn't even know they exist. As far as the citizens know, Anakin is dead. They don't know Vader is Anakin, so nobody is going to run off and tell Vader that there is a Skywalker kid on Tatooine.
Old 06-03-14, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Tatooine was the safest place to hide Luke because Anakin hated sand.
Old 06-03-14, 11:15 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

please tell me Abrams isn't done with Star Trek movies. I freaking loved them and want more.
Old 06-03-14, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

But the ST Luke isn't the same as the OT Luke. OT Luke was young, so he wanted to explore like young people do. ST Luke is old and settled down and past his adventurous youth.
How does that even make sense? If you have to go into hiding you don't go hide at your last known address. He has an entire galaxy, and I'm sure funding enough to go where ever he pleases.

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara

Exactly. Can't wait to revisit Mos Eisley instead of somewhere new.

The Superman Returns analogy is a good one. Hopefully they don't fall into that trap.

Also, Anakin thought Padme died before she gave birth. As far as he knows, he has no children. So why would he go looking for them if he doesn't even know they exist. As far as the citizens know, Anakin is dead. They don't know Vader is Anakin, so nobody is going to run off and tell Vader that there is a Skywalker kid on Tatooine.
That doesn't make it any less stupid.
Old 06-03-14, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by Damed
Also from TMZ - Its the friggin Falcon!

chanster beat you back on post 3686

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.