Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-12, 08:36 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Unknown, S: Unknown)

you would have thought Spielberg would have pulled George aside and told him it was shite.
Old 12-01-12, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Yeah, like the time he saved Indy 4 from being crap.
Old 12-01-12, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
you would have thought Spielberg would have pulled George aside and told him it was shite.
And yet he still went along and directed Crystal Skull for Georgie.
Old 12-01-12, 12:14 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Yeah, like the time he saved Indy 4 from being crap.
good point, sir.
Old 12-01-12, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

"Good God I wish the internet wasn't invented, cause there is a going to be a blood bath after fans watch this 2 hour piece of shit."
Old 12-20-12, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

possible plot details:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/...in-4-storyline

Spoiler?
Spoiler:

Disney has not yet confirmed the storyline for Star Wars: Episode VII and some websites have speculated that Reuters does not have its facts straight. The usually reliable agency's story reads: "Yavin 4 and the rebel base return to the Star Wars plot in the forthcoming Episode VII, announced in October by the Walt Disney Co, in which Skywalker comes back to the planet to build a Jedi knight academy."

Reuters may have confused the storyline for Episode VII with Yavin 4's involvement in the "expanded" Star Wars universe as depicted in dozens of books released in the wake of the original trilogy that hit cinemas between 1977 and 1983. Here, Yavin 4 is indeed the location for a Jedi school, but there has been no suggestion from Disney that the new films will follow the direction of the novels, which Lucas himself never entirely accepted as canonical.

apparently it follows some of the novel direction, but I have not read that so I am not sure this would be a good direction for the movies to go? People that have read about this...would this be a good direction to go?
Old 12-20-12, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

There's no real spoiler there. Yeah, Luke does that on the planet mentioned but that's a pretty general description/direction to take it. I wouldn't assume they are following some of the novels based on that basic concept.
Old 12-20-12, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

It's not really a spoiler. Based on Episode VI's subtitle: "Return of the Jedi," it's pretty much a given that Luke would most likely take on apprentices and start rebuilding the Jedi Order.

However, due to Lucas's tampering of that movie, it's now shown that the original Jedi Temple on Coruscant still stands, so it would make the most sense for Luke to re-occupy that:
http://www.sgcollect.com/forum/index...howtopic=49238
Old 12-20-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Sounds as exciting as all the taxes and trade federation bullshit from Episode I!

Who wants to see lightsaber battles when we can get old Luke Skywalker sitting down for lengthy land appropriation committee meetings and dealing with building zoning codes!
Old 12-20-12, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
It's not really a spoiler. Based on Episode VI's subtitle: "Return of the Jedi," it's pretty much a given that Luke would most likely take on apprentices and start rebuilding the Jedi Order.

However, due to Lucas's tampering of that movie, it's now shown that the original Jedi Temple on Coruscant still stands, so it would make the most sense for Luke to re-occupy that:
http://www.sgcollect.com/forum/index...howtopic=49238
Not really, if he wants to avoid the mistakes of the past and keep the Jedi away from the political influence of the New Republic government.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Sounds as exciting as all the taxes and trade federation bullshit from Episode I!

Who wants to see lightsaber battles when we can get old Luke Skywalker sitting down for lengthy land appropriation committee meetings and dealing with building zoning codes!

Well, it is an abandoned planet, you know, squatter's rights and all that.

But seriously, I have read the Jedi Academy books in many years, but there was plenty of Jedi action going on.

Also, this would be a good way to slide new stories into the novel/comic canon. Just find an empty slot in the timeline and put it there. You pay homage to the books but still chart a new path.
Old 12-20-12, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

I doubt the movie is actually going to focus on the building/restoration of a Jedi Temple, anymore than ROTJ focused on the construction of the new Death Star. It'll be part of the overall setting and universe though.

I could see a story involving a new Jedi apprentice arriving at a finished or work-in-progress temple in order to learn under Master Skywalker. Although hopefully the first film will focus on an emergency both new and old characters will have to resolve.
Old 12-20-12, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no way the next trilogy won't be about Han and Leia's kid. Maybe there will be an academy sequence but no one wants to watch Harry Potter with aliens.
Old 12-20-12, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

David Lynch should direct since he didn't do Jedi.
Old 12-20-12, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts

The main point of establishing a new Academy in the book is to bring more Jedis into the story. At the end of the OT, it's just Luke (and the books establish Leia as a Force-user too).

So I'm fine with doing that in the next movie, as it has the potential to bring some cool characters in.
Old 12-20-12, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Exactly. McCallum was a "yes" man through and through. Things are looking very promising with both him and Lucas stepping down.
You must not work in Hollywood. You don't tell someone as powerful as Lucas "no" and expect to have a career afterward.
Old 12-20-12, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want nothing from the mind of Kevin J. Anderson as part of an official Star Wars film.

Last edited by KnightLerxst; 12-20-12 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-20-12, 12:43 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KnightLerxst
I want nothing from the mind of Kevin J. Anderson as part of an offcial Star Wars film.
Too late. The double-bladed lightsaber first appeared in the Tales of the Jedi comic book series written in the mid 1990s by Kevin J Anderson.
Old 12-20-12, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
There's no way the next trilogy won't be about Han and Leia's kid. Maybe there will be an academy sequence but no one wants to watch Harry Potter with aliens.
Well I do now! Now that you've brought it up!

... maybe there's a fanfic out there...
Old 12-20-12, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Oh! Oh! So there could be this Sith Lord that gained some power and a following after the chaos caused by the fall of the Empire. And he learns that it's foretold that a young Jedi will defeat him, so he goes to kill Han and Leia's infant children, but they sacrifice themselves to save them, and the Sith Lord is defeated and thought dead. But this Sith lord learned some secrets of immortality....

Flash forward several years and the kids are off to train at a fantastic school overseen by a wise old wizard Jedi...
Old 12-20-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh! Oh! So there could be this Sith Lord that gained some power and a following after the chaos caused by the fall of the Empire. And he learns that it's foretold that a young Jedi will defeat him, so he goes to kill Han and Leia's infant children, but they sacrifice themselves to save them, and the Sith Lord is defeated and thought dead. But this Sith lord learned some secrets of immortality....

Flash forward several years and the kids are off to train at a fantastic school overseen by a wise old wizard Jedi...
Is that the plot of Harry Potter? It sounds like The Terminator.
Old 12-20-12, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is that the plot of Harry Potter? It sounds like The Terminator.
Harry Potter is some dark shit. People think that just because it's a "children's story" it's all about fluffy clouds and rainbows and unicorns.

...well, okay there is a unicorn, but it gets killed.
Old 12-20-12, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Harry Potter is some dark shit. People think that just because it's a "children's story" it's all about fluffy clouds and rainbows and unicorns.

...well, okay there is a unicorn, but it gets killed.

I gave up after the first two movies because there didn't seem to be a story.
Old 12-20-12, 03:43 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom

... maybe there's a fanfic out there...
There actually are EU novels that are a kind of mix of Harry Potter and Star Wars. The Young Jedi Knights series is about Jacen and Jaina (Han and Leia's kids) training at Luke's academy.

I gave up after the first two movies because there didn't seem to be a story.
You gave up too soon. The first two books/movies WERE intended for young kids. Its after that when things start to get darker and more adult. You can tell that by the book length too since the first two books were barely 300 pages long. The later books were all 600+ pages.
Old 12-20-12, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
You gave up too soon. The first two books/movies WERE intended for young kids. Its after that when things start to get darker and more adult. You can tell that by the book length too since the first two books were barely 300 pages long. The later books were all 600+ pages.
I hear that a lot, but I put five hours into the franchise and got nothing in return.
Old 12-20-12, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This was so funny. I just had to say so. It made me laugh out loud (as in, I actually laughed out loud).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.