DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/606070-star-wars-episode-vii-force-awakens-2015-abrams-s-hamill-ford-fisher.html)

Draven 09-15-13 08:00 PM

Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

The Thrawn series is great, and most of the New Jedi Order is solid. There are some misses along the way but for the most part, the EU books have been fine. 99% of them are better than the prequels.

And I too like the X-Wing series. In fact, they should have just made the X-Wing books into a BSG-eque TV show. That would have kicked ass.

Obi-Wanma 09-15-13 08:34 PM

Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Abrams, S: The casts of Star Trek, Lost, Felicit

Originally Posted by taffer (Post 11835673)
So you have only read three books (two of which are by the same author) and came to that conclusion? :lol:

Shadows of the Empire isn't really that good. It was hyped up as a big multimedia event with action figures, a video game, a comic book series, and a novel. The novel itself has never been regarded as being one of the good pieces of EU.

They repeated that whole multimedia event thing a few years ago with The Force Unleashed. It wasn't very good either.

Try reading the X-Wing series by Michael Stackpole and Aaron Allston. Those are good EU books from the 90s Bantam era. They are better than Zahn's trilogy. Zahn was okay, but I feel his work is overrated. He basically created the EU, but his Thrawn trilogy is far from the best EU out there.

I read Shadows when it was all the rage, and I barely brought myself to finish it. I tried again with Thrawn, because people hold it in such high regard, and I gave myself two full books before I decided I wasn't interested enough to finish it, and I figured that if it represented some of the best of the EU, then the EU wasn't for me.

Not saying I won't ever try again or that none of it is any good, but it's hard to motivate myself to do it when I've been let down so hard twice.

taffer 09-15-13 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 11835827)
Not saying ... that none of it is any good...

You did say none of it was good.

I never liked Shadows of the Empire either, and I don't really know that many people that actually did like it. It was an overhyped multimedia event, but it doesn't seem like many actually liked it. Similarly the whole Forced Unleashed thing from a few years ago was overhyped crap.

My biggest problem with Shadows is how the author seemed to have such a raging boner for Xizor. I don't think he could write more than ten pages without going into this elaborate description of Xizor's physique, his "perfectly sculpted muscular body," or how badass he is. By the end of the book I was just thinking that the author and Xizor need to get a room already.

MLBFan24 09-15-13 10:10 PM

My favorite EU book is Luceno's "Labyrinth of Evil" (leads up to Episode III). Felt like a movie when I was reading it.

Obi-Wanma 09-16-13 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by taffer (Post 11835948)

I said Snake's statement was true, in regards to what I read. Snake said none of it was good, but that's not necessarily what I said. Semantics maybe, but IMO, the Thrawn Trilogy does read like a fanfic.

joe_b 09-19-13 07:20 AM

Latino Review is back at the rumor mill and are reporting that Saoirse Ronan went in for a part. Some are speculating that she could play a female villain. I'd rather see her in that kind of role than Han and Leia's daughter. Considering she's possibly the most acclaimed actresses in her age bracket, she was bound to be linked to this project at some point. Might explain why the talk of her playing Scarlet Witch in The Avengers II suddenly went away.

The also mention the production is looking at New Mexico to possibly film in The City of Crosses, Las Cruces. In regards to the Cumberbatch news, they say his denial is just a smokescreen -- which isn't too hard to believe. The actor never said doing Star Wars was out of the question, just that nothing was set and that Abrams hadn't contacted him about it.

EDIT: Bleeding Cool also confirmed the Saoirse Ronan news and said the part she went in for was (to the best of their knowledge) the lead role. They also mention other well known actresses have gone in already. I like Saorise (and would take her over Chloe Moretz), but would still prefer they cast lesser known actors. Kind of disappointed we haven't heard more about Rachel Hurd-Wood. :(

taffer 09-19-13 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by joe_b (Post 11840454)
EDIT: Bleeding Cool also confirmed...

That's not confirmation. Rumors are never confirmation. Two websites reporting the same rumor is still a rumor and not confirmation.

Its not confirmation until its officially revealed by Lucas or Disney.

joe_b 09-19-13 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by taffer (Post 11840469)
That's not confirmation. Rumors are never confirmation. Two websites reporting the same rumor is still a rumor and not confirmation.

Its not confirmation until its officially revealed by Lucas or Disney.

Call it separate independent acknowledgments of a rumor, then. :p

Originally Posted by Bleeding Cool
This was first reported by Latino Review but, for what it’s worth, I’ve also had a rather telling, silent nod from one of my own sources near the casting of this project.

I'm well aware Disney isn't going to announce who took a meeting for a role. Unless it's a misinformation campaign, multiple "insiders" reporting the same name just might know what they're talking about. Or it could all be a bunch of BS. Either way, it's something to chew on while we wait for something official.

Kal-El 09-19-13 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by joe_b (Post 11840454)
Latino Review is back at the rumor mill and are reporting that Saoirse Ronan went in for a part. Some are speculating that she could play a female villain. I'd rather see her in that kind of role than Han and Leia's daughter. Considering she's possibly the most acclaimed actresses in her age bracket, she was bound to be linked to this project at some point. Might explain why the talk of her playing Scarlet Witch in The Avengers II suddenly went away.

The also mention the production is looking at New Mexico to possibly film in The City of Crosses, Las Cruces. In regards to the Cumberbatch news, they say his denial is just a smokescreen -- which isn't too hard to believe. The actor never said doing Star Wars was out of the question, just that nothing was set and that Abrams hadn't contacted him about it.

EDIT: Bleeding Cool also confirmed the Saoirse Ronan news and said the part she went in for was (to the best of their knowledge) the lead role. They also mention other well known actresses have gone in already. I like Saorise (and would take her over Chloe Moretz), but would still prefer they cast lesser known actors. Kind of disappointed we haven't heard more about Rachel Hurd-Wood. :(

Interesting. For what it's worth, I would take Hanna over Hit Girl.

joe_b 09-20-13 08:36 AM

Latino Review is now reporting that Michael B. Jordon (Chronicle) and David Oyelowo (The Help) had meetings with J.J. Abrams. Assuming they're up for the same part, I'd go with Oyelowo. BTW, they both worked for Lucasfilm on Red Tails.

http://www.essence.com/sites/default...240x340_42.jpg http://www.thebritishblacklist.com/w...id_oyelowo.jpg

anomynous 09-20-13 08:44 AM

lol,Red Tails

DaveyJoe 09-20-13 09:14 AM

Michael B. Jordon was excellent in The Wire, I would not mind seeing him cast. I haven't seen the other guy in anything.

Obi-Wanma 09-20-13 09:17 AM

Lando's kid? ;)

Josh-da-man 09-20-13 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 11841688)
Lando's kid? ;)

No, Han and Leia's.

(But it's one of those things that nobody ever brings up since that night Leia had too many Colt 45s...)

TGM 09-20-13 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by josh-da-man (Post 11842023)
no, han and leia's.

roflmfao!

Josh-da-man 09-20-13 04:47 PM

Sneak peek at the new Star Wars film:

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/u7...sons-40171.jpg

L to R: Han Solo, Jr; Han Solo; Grando Solo; Londo Solo

Goldberg74 09-20-13 06:14 PM

In all of the EU books I've read (most of them 90s era), The Courtship of Princess Leia was my favorite... followed by Outbound Flight (which only makes sense if you've read the Zahn Trilogy).

I still reread The Tales From Jabba's Palace every couple of years, too. Another favorite.

RocShemp 09-20-13 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 11842271)
Sneak peek at the new Star Wars film:

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/u7...sons-40171.jpg

L to R: Han Solo, Jr; Han Solo; Grando Solo; Londo Solo

Luke: Han, those kid's dicks are bigger than these light sabers!

joe_b 09-23-13 12:09 PM

According to Bleeding Cool, Disney is reaching out to agencies who specialize in actors with "extraordinary physiques" to cast a slim built 7 foot tall actor for Episode VII.

Could be a random Wookiee or a new character all together, but it's likely they are looking for an actor to play Chewbacca. As much as the fans would like it, I'm not sure Peter Mayhew will be physically able to reprise the role. He underwent double knee surgery a couple weeks ago.

RichC2 09-23-13 01:38 PM

They should just get Nathan Jones to do it, and dub the roar.

Of course, they'd have to ignore his whole 7 years in maximum-security prison (in Australia), probably isn't what Disney wants.

islandclaws 09-23-13 02:04 PM

Too bad Kevin Peter Hall is dead. How about Tyler Mane or Brian Steele?

joe_b 09-23-13 03:29 PM

Bleeding Cool has a quote from Mayhew, passed along from the director who is documenting his surgery and recovery: "I intend to pursue the role of Chewbacca for Episode VII." Hopefully his rehabilitation goes smoothly and he can don the hairy suit once more. At the very least, it seems he could play Chewie in close-ups or in the co-pilot chair of the Falcon -- then have a double step in for anything strenuous.

BTW, the Hollywood Reporter wrote that David Oyelowo is up for a voice role in the Star Wars Rebels animated series. That was probably the meeting he went in for at Lucasfilm. A website called Jedi News has a source claiming that Oyelowo has already been cast in both projects, but no other site has followed up on that story.

Originally Posted by islandclaws (Post 11845239)
Too bad Kevin Peter Hall is dead. How about Tyler Mane or Brian Steele?

Tyler's frame is probably too large for Chewie. I met him at a convention last year and can certainly vouch for that. I'm just under six feet tall and looked like a child standing next to him. :lol:

dex14 10-01-13 04:03 PM

Saoirse Ronan confirmed she auditioned.

Sullivan Stapleton and Daniel Day Lewis are now being thrown into the mix as rumors.

TGM 10-01-13 04:30 PM

Daniel Day Lewis? holy fucking shit!

stvn1974 10-01-13 05:01 PM

I know Lucas isn't writing or directing but just imagining Daniel Day Lewis reciting the shit dialogue Lucas would have written makes me chuckle.