DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/606070-star-wars-episode-vii-force-awakens-2015-abrams-s-hamill-ford-fisher.html)

Oliver Clothesoff 10-31-12 09:30 AM

Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Unknown, S: Unknown)

only 9 pages so far? blu-ray.com is already at 41 pages of whining.

Rob V 10-31-12 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind (Post 11448994)
I hope they cast mostly unknown actors.

Mark Wahlberg as C3PO or I'm OUT!

WeylandYutani 10-31-12 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by troystiffler (Post 11449149)
I need set pics!

Terrell 10-31-12 10:13 AM

Should there be more movies?- Probably not. Lucas had a lovely idea that was a mostly very well-executed hero myth in the Original Trilogy. He decided he had to round it out and turn it into a sadder guy-falls-and-is-redeemed-because-his-son-is-a-wimp-and-couldn't-take-a-few-volts-of-blue-lightning epic. A studio pumping out a film "every 1-2 years, FROM NOW ON" is whoredom and would be absurd and will ruin the entire enterprise for the future. The original novel of Dracula was gorgeous, but 8,000 shitty movies have made it a joke. On the off chance that Lucas has written a beautiful treatment for a new trilogy, then cool, make 'em. What do you want from me?
That's how I feel. People say it can't get buried any deeper after the prequels. Well yes, yes it can by a long shot. Imagine a new mediocre to bad Star Wars film every 2 years until not even Star Wars fans can stomach anything Star Wars anymore. That's a very real possibility, and it doesn't even include whoring it out in parks and in retail far worse than Lucas did.

People have this notion that all you need for a great Star Wars film is to remove Lucas from the equation. I think those people are about get get a tough lesson. The studio who pumped out John Carter, Prince of Persia, and Tron, all soulless and tepid movies does not inspire confidence. It would be hilarious to watch the people who think simply removing Lucas will result in a great Star Wars film, if Episode VII ends up sucking. I love Disney. I love their animated film, their parks, and many other aspects of their business. However, when it comes to big budget live-action event films, they are as hit and miss as it gets, and they miss far more often than they hit.

When it's all said and done, if Episode VII stinks, you can hang it up, because any Star Wars film they make after that won't be worth a damn.

Oliver Clothesoff 10-31-12 10:14 AM

http://handson.provocateuse.com/imag...on_ford_05.jpg
http://home.lifegoesstrong.com/sites...e_williams.jpg

Lemdog 10-31-12 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by WeylandYutani (Post 11449196)

You sir just won this thread. Congratulations! :lol:

TGM 10-31-12 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lemdog (Post 11449222)
You sir just won this thread. Congratulations! :lol:

:lol: good job, sir.

mcnabb 10-31-12 10:37 AM

Saw a joke on Twitter, "I thought Disney bought the rights to the Star Wars Films during Return of the Jedi and the creation of the Ewoks?"

Solid Snake 10-31-12 10:46 AM

That's not funny. Meh.

Why So Blu? 10-31-12 10:54 AM

Well played.

RocShemp 10-31-12 11:10 AM

:lol::up:

Shazam 10-31-12 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Terrell (Post 11449218)
That's how I feel. People say it can't get buried any deeper after the prequels. Well yes, yes it can by a long shot. Imagine a new mediocre to bad Star Wars film every 2 years until not even Star Wars fans can stomach anything Star Wars anymore. That's a very real possibility, and it doesn't even include whoring it out in parks and in retail far worse than Lucas did.

People have this notion that all you need for a great Star Wars film is to remove Lucas from the equation. I think those people are about get get a tough lesson. The studio who pumped out John Carter, Prince of Persia, and Tron, all soulless and tepid movies does not inspire confidence. It would be hilarious to watch the people who think simply removing Lucas will result in a great Star Wars film, if Episode VII ends up sucking. I love Disney. I love their animated film, their parks, and many other aspects of their business. However, when it comes to big budget live-action event films, they are as hit and miss as it gets, and they miss far more often than they hit.

When it's all said and done, if Episode VII stinks, you can hang it up, because any Star Wars film they make after that won't be worth a damn.

If 7 bombs, then that'll be it for more SW films for a while.

And every studio makes stinkers.

foofighters7 10-31-12 11:16 AM

Sadly, this "episode VII" will be a huge hit. How could it not? Impossible to not make a billion worldwide, probably more like 1.5+ Billion.

mcnabb 10-31-12 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 11449256)
That's not funny. Meh.

It's more ironic then funny, I guess.

Supermallet 10-31-12 11:32 AM

So. Don't. See. It.

Most of us aren't seeing removing Lucas is the ONLY factor in making a great Star Wars film, but it's a HUGE fucking start. At this point, I'll settle for not embarrassing when it comes to Star Wars.

Originally Posted by mcnabb (Post 11449302)
It's more ironic then funny, I guess.

How is it ironic?

GoldenJCJ 10-31-12 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 11448838)
My big concern is that a Disney made Star Wars film turns out to be some toddler friendly bullshit like "John Carter"

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 11448867)
That being the exception. I'm hoping that since Lucas doesn't have creative control anymore a talented director/screenwriter combo can deliver a mature (no, that doesn't mean R rated) film set in the Star Wars universe. I'm hoping Disney will give a crew the creative freedom to do that.

While my expectations are still in check for the time being, I'm cautiously optimistic that Disney will do their Star Wars with a darker edge (ala Ep. V and VI) and not too kiddy friendly.

I hope they take the Pirates of the Caribbean route, it was made with a darker bent than anyone expected and kids ate it up. Hell, Jack Sparrow is this generation's Luke Skywalker!

If Disney uses Pirates as their model (in terms of tone), these new Star Wars films could be fantastic.

foofighters7 10-31-12 11:39 AM

^

POTC is rather idiotic.

Slightly darker yeah, but keep the corny stuff away.

IF they keep the goofy comic relief stuff to the bare minimum then MAYBE it won't be a Total waste of time.

Who knowens, Jar Jar in might be back along wit.

Or a reincarnated Greedo to pull a gun and shoot first at Han's son, or whatever.

Shazam 10-31-12 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by foofighters7 (Post 11449299)
Sadly, this "episode VII" will be a huge hit. How could it not? Impossible to not make a billion worldwide, probably more like 1.5+ Billion.

If it sucks it will bomb. There is no goodwill left in regards to SW. And with social media being the way it is these days, word will spread fast as to whether or not the movie is worth seeing.

Supermallet 10-31-12 11:47 AM

Shazam, you underestimate the legion of fans who will watch anything SW and not care whether it's good or bad.

bluetoast 10-31-12 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Shazam (Post 11449335)
If it sucks it will bomb. There is no goodwill left in regards to SW. And with social media being the way it is these days, word will spread fast as to whether or not the movie is worth seeing.

If it sucks, no it will not necessarily bomb, how is that a certainty at all? I didn't see it but I heard the latest Pirates movie sucked and that crossed $1 billion. People weren't too fond of Alice in Wonderland either from what I remember.

But aside from that, with the amount of money Disney paid, they are probably going to try very hard to make sure it does not suck.

Shazam 10-31-12 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11449337)
Shazam, you underestimate the legion of fans who will watch anything SW and not care whether it's good or bad.

I dunno, how did that Clone Wars movie do? Or the 3D versions of the prequels?

foofighters7 10-31-12 11:52 AM

Yeah, Shazam you are really underestimating this.

It WILL be a huge hit, Over a Billion worldwide no if's ands or buts no matter if it sucks.

Shazam 10-31-12 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 11449340)
If it sucks, no it will not necessarily bomb, how is that a certainty at all? I didn't see it but I heard the latest Pirates movie sucked and that crossed $1 billion. People weren't too fond of Alice in Wonderland either from what I remember.

But aside from that, with the amount of money Disney paid, they are probably going to try very hard to make sure it does not suck.

The last POTC movie was mediocre. It wasn't godawful.

Shazam 10-31-12 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by foofighters7 (Post 11449343)
Yeah, Shazam you are really underestimating this.

It WILL be a huge hit, Over a Billion worldwide no if's ands or buts no matter if it sucks.

Well we'll see, I guess. I'm expecting a half-decent movie that should be a fair bit better than any of the prequels anyhow.

covenant 10-31-12 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Supermallet (Post 11449337)

I guess that good will didn't extend to the SWTOR mmo.