Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Old 01-18-16, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Finally got to see it last night. Waited all this time because of health issues and couldn't really get out of the house. I'm so glad I went to see it. I really enjoyed it. Didn't have huge expectations for it, but I really like the way the story is unfolding. Abrams did a decent job too. That last scene with Rey and Luke... no dialogue needed, Rey just extending her hand out with the saber appealing for Luke's help, and the wide shot from above to end the movie... that was perfect.
Old 01-18-16, 02:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Originally Posted by Autotelik
Finally got to see it last night. Waited all this time because of health issues and couldn't really get out of the house. I'm so glad I went to see it. I really enjoyed it. Didn't have huge expectations for it, but I really like the way the story is unfolding. Abrams did a decent job too. That last scene with Rey and Luke... no dialogue needed, Rey just extending her hand out with the saber appealing for Luke's help, and the wide shot from above to end the movie... that was perfect.
Old 01-18-16, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Old 01-18-16, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fuck, all SNL videos on YT once again not available in Canada.
Old 01-19-16, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

I'm not going to quote that giant interleaving post, but what Transformers movies had a plot, much less one that was rewritten to accommodate what toys were selling? Are you saying they gave Bumblebee a bigger role in later movies because his toy sold so well? Because I'm pretty sure they were pushing Bumblebee and the Camaro down our throats, so if they didn't know how popular he and Optimus were going to be, they were pretty clueless to begin with.

Unless you're talking about Transformers the Animated movie, who's entire purpose (besides being awesome and having the greatest soundtrack of all time) is to wipe away the old toys and usher in the new ones.
Old 01-19-16, 04:36 PM
Banned

I still get a bit hurt when Prime dies. Goddamn you, Hot Rod.
Old 01-19-16, 04:42 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I still get a bit hurt when Prime dies. Goddamn you, Hot Rod.
i always yell "out of the way Hot Rod!" when Prime does. but it never works; ends the same way each time
Old 01-19-16, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cry when Starscream dies. My favorite character finally achieves all his dreams and Megatron comes back from the dead and ruins it. It's worse than the opening of Alien3.
Old 01-19-16, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Holy shit
Huh?
Old 01-19-16, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm not going to quote that giant interleaving post, but what Transformers movies had a plot, much less one that was rewritten to accommodate what toys were selling?
Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Transformers Animated, Transformers: Prime, any Simon Furman comics.

Unless you're talking about Transformers the Animated movie, who's entire purpose (besides being awesome and having the greatest soundtrack of all time) is to wipe away the old toys and usher in the new ones.
There is work being in on Transformers fiction outside of Michael Bay's crap.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 01-20-16 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-20-16, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
[i]Beast Wars, Beast Machines, Transformers Animated, Transformers: Prime[/i\, any Simon Furman comics.

There is work being in on Transformers fiction outside of Michael Bay's crap.
I am a gigantic transformers fan, but I thought we were talking about theatrical releases? I'm also familiar with all of those and I don't remember major rewrites due to toy popularity (unless you're talking the original Marvel Transformers comic which was again mainly to feature and sell toys anyway). The one time I can remember a drastic shift because of popularity was when they brought back Optimus at the end of the original series, but that wasn't even because of a toy, that's because everyone hated Rodimus Prime.
Old 01-20-16, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 395 Likes on 264 Posts

Speaking of Star Wars breaking records. This thread is 64 posts away from 10,000. I can't think of a way to search function this, but that could be a dvdtalk record in and of itself.
Old 01-20-16, 05:43 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 662 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
Speaking of Star Wars breaking records. This thread is 64 posts away from 10,000. I can't think of a way to search function this, but that could be a dvdtalk record in and of itself.
Halfway through researching, I decided you must know how easy it is to view by posts and were just tricking a gullible sap like me into doing your grunt work.

The Batman vs Superman thread actually has 7513 posts already, and isn't out yet, so perhaps it'll surpass this one?

But anyway, neither thread has a chance against the daily post count bump threads like Last DVD Watched at 14,000 or Random Pic and Animated GIFwhich are both around 20,000 posts. The GIF thread is approaching 2 million views! This thread is about a quarter that.

For non-random bump threads, one leader is the B&N Coupon Thread at almost 12,000 posts and over 1.5 million views. Somehow, the Alex Rodriguez Steroids threads is only about 300 posts but over a million views; had to be some sheninigans there.

Oddly, the number one all-time post count winning thread here at DVDTalk from the feedback forum! The Frontiers advertisement thread has 24,000 posts.
Old 01-20-16, 06:44 AM

Received 4,475 Likes on 3,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
Just click on the REPLIES link on the main forum and it will list them from greatest to least.
Old 03-15-16, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 90 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
I really hope they bring her relation to Vader out in the open. I don't know how that could be uncovered (maybe a private conversation is overheard), but it would make for some good drama if Leia's colleagues cause her to be shunned by the very Republic she spent her life trying to rebuild by revealing her birth father was one of the galaxy's greatest monsters. It's too interesting an angle not to explore, imo.
This appears to be one of the topics covered in a new novel called "Bloodline". Pity, I would have loved to see the fallout from this play out on screen.

Last edited by joe_b; 05-06-16 at 03:05 AM.
Old 05-04-16, 01:29 PM

Remember the rumor that this movie opened with Luke's severed hand floating through space? Well, Mark Hamill just confirmed that was actually a thing:

Q: Do you think you could have kept the secret safe the first time around if social media had been around -- about you being Darth Vader's son?

HAMILL: Absolutely not. No, not a chance in the world. 'Cause when I first started reading - I won't name the websites - but you'd read the leaks and stuff and go "That's rich. It's so wrong." And then one day, I read the first fifteen minutes of the film absolutely accurately. And I can tell you now -- in the original opening shot of VII, the first thing that came into frame was a hand with a lightsaber. A severed hand that enters the atmosphere and the hand burns away and the bone and everything burns away and it goes sticking into the surface of Jakku, the desert planet that Rey lives on -- the Daisy Ridley character. And this alien hand comes in. I don't know if it was Maz, but it was an alien hand that takes the lightsaber away and then the movie proceeds as you see it.
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-Hospital.html

Per the old MakingStarWars leaks, the Force vision scene at Maz's castle was originally supposed to show the path of Luke's lightsaber. The alien hand taking the saber was a farmer named Naka (possibly a production codename), who sold it off to a "wealthy man".
Old 05-04-16, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never heard that rumor, but I tried hard to avoid spoilers. I would question how Luke's hand would fall out of Bespin's gravity and into outer space.
Old 05-04-16, 01:39 PM
Banned

Yeah. That doesn't even make sense how it could hit Jakku.
Old 05-04-16, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,646 Likes on 1,832 Posts

Yeah, it doesn't make much sense how it could drift from Bespin to Jakku unless they're in the same planetary system, never mind how it could get out into space. Unless someone found it, and then it somehow got tossed off of a spaceship or something. Still kind of a cool image.

Not surprised that scene was planned at one point. Lots of folks were shooting it down, but when the lightsaber turned out to play an important role in the movie I tended to believe it wasn't bullshit.

Makes me nervous about those Ep VIII spoilers I've read...
Old 05-04-16, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Those rumors are probably in this thread...

Edited (Again) to add: I think it started here http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...l#post12174436

This replaces the much later post I just had in the link.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2014/07/...tails-revealed

July of 2014...

Last edited by Chrisedge; 05-04-16 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-05-16, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So this happened today:

Full version available to stream on starwars.com or download it on iTunes

I think it's pretty fucking awesome that 5 months after the movie's come out, we're still getting little gems like this.
Old 05-05-16, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 418 Posts

Meh. Not that great.
Old 05-05-16, 02:10 AM

I agree. The Modal Nodes, they sure ain't.

Old 05-05-16, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi's Main Villain Was Supposed to be Boba Fett.

Iconic Star Wars character Boba Fett met what looked like his demise near the beginning of Return of the Jedi, but according to fan relations director Craig Miller, the galaxy's deadliest bounty hunter originally had much grander plans in place for him.

In an interview with Inverse, Miller talked about George Lucas's original plans for the space fantasy series, which were much different than what actually came to be. Miller said that Boba Fett was originally intended to be the villain in Return of the Jedi and that Luke and Darth Vader's clash would happen in another trilogy.

"Originally Boba Fett was set up in Empire [Strikes Back] as a character, and the third movie’s plot was going to be more about Boba Fett rescuing Han Solo and all of that," Miller said. "Boba was going to be the main villain… That was set up, why he was taking Han Solo away, why there was a thing with him in the Christmas special.

"When George decided not to make a third trilogy, he completely jettisoned that story line, which is why in the first ten minutes, Boba Fett gets bumped into and falls into the mouth of a giant monster... So he took what was planned for the third trilogy, which was the confrontation between Luke and Darth Vader, and the battle with the Emperor, and that got squished down from three movies to one movie. And that became the plot of [Return of the] Jedi."

Miller added that Lucas had planned to make 12 movies but decided he'd only make one more (Return of the Jedi) after he felt fatigue from the series' popularity.

I remember sitting in a mixing room with George, working on Empire, and he told me he was just going to make the third movie, which didn’t have a title at that point, and then stop," Miller said. "He was going to retire from making big movies and make experimental movies. And that’s why the whole plot of the third movie, what became Return of the Jedi, completely changed."

The Star Wars creator would eventually make more movies in the series, though it was 15 years until the next movie, The Phantom Menace, was released. He went on to make two more movies, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, before he sold Star Wars to Disney. You can read the rest of the interview over on Inverse.

Lucas confirmed last year that The Force Awakens strayed from his original vision for Episode VII. Despite the creative differences, Lucas "really liked" the new Star Wars movie and said, "[T]he fans are going to love it." The Force Awakens was well-received critically, garnering an 81 on GameSpot sister site Metacritic. It was also a hit at the box office and passed Avatar as the highest grossing movie in the US this past January.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sta...tag=YHF6738a5f
Old 05-05-16, 09:38 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

From my understanding and years of research everything stated there is true, except for the stuff about Bobba Fett.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.