Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-15, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I know I am a piece of shit, society has told me that my entire life. I will do my best to enjoy the movie tonight, the whole idea that a stormtrooper quits doesnt make any sense since they are clones. Guess I will have to wait and see in the movie.
At this point of time within the canon they are not all clones. IIRC it's said about 30% clones, but I could be off on that.
Old 12-19-15, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

None of them are clones. It was mentioned in the movie.
Old 12-19-15, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

They're not clones. They weren't clones in the OT. They were only clones in the prequels. That is canon.
Old 12-19-15, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Apparently I was off on that. Way off.
Old 12-19-15, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Actually it is much worse ... They are female clones.
Old 12-19-15, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Come to think of it, the entire movie was a clone of A New Hope.
Old 12-19-15, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
It's a dystopian look at a possible future where the feminazis and SJW's rule our worlds.

Last edited by rocketsauce; 12-20-15 at 01:07 PM.
Old 12-20-15, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

I just got home from the movie and it was fine. Rey and Finn were both good characters. Something about it didnt quite feel like Star Wars, and it did feel like a copy of a New Hope. I will see it again next time in 3d.
Old 12-20-15, 03:08 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoa now. I hear it wasn't worth it for the 3D. So maybe save some money on that.
Old 12-20-15, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Whoa now. I hear it wasn't worth it for the 3D. So maybe save some money on that.
The 3-D was very good in spots. The aerial shots of following Xs & Ties from behind looked great, but they weren't held as long as they should have been.

And I don't remember if it was this thread or the reviews thread, but there's a lingering frontal shot of a Star Destroyer that does indeed look like it was sticking out of the screen.
Old 12-20-15, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I'm listening to the soundtrack right now. Sad to say it, but it feels like Williams phoned most of this score in. None of the new themes are particularly stirring or memorable.

Also, J.J. shared some new details about Rey's vision sequence with Entertainment Weekly. They had Ewan McGregor record a new line of dialogue that played over that scene. I'll have to listen for this when I see the film again:

Spoiler:
"Rey, these are your first steps."

He also explains what suddenly woke up Artoo.

Spoiler:
BB-8 just asked him if he happened to have the missing piece of the map, which brought him out of low-power mode. Mmkay...

Last edited by joe_b; 12-20-15 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-20-15, 03:36 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
I'm listening to the soundtrack right now. Sad to say it, but it feels like Williams phoned most of this score in. None of the new themes are particularly stirring or memorable.

Also, J.J. shared some new details about Rey's vision/flashback sequence with Entertainment Weekly. They had Ewan McGregor record a new line of dialogue that played over that scene. I'll have to listen for this when I see the film again:

Spoiler:
"Rey, these are your first steps."
I agree, there were no complete themes on the soundtrack at all. I guess Rey's theme is okay, but it is nothing to brag about. This is the only strength the PT has over TFA. Duel of the Fates from TPM, Across the Stars (Love Theme from AOTC), and even Battle of the Heroes or Anakin's betrayal in ROTS had more memorable themes than TFA. I'm not saying the score was bad, but it was a lot of little themes that sounded appropriate for their scenes, but weren't like you said, memorable. I need to see TFA again, because I didn't find the score being lackluster while watching.

And as far as that spoiler, they used both Alex Guinness (the first line in a previous SW film where he said "afraid") and Ewan McGregor did the rest, according to an EW interview with JJ.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20...-force-awakens
Old 12-20-15, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

There is a great deal on tickets via Fandango today, so I bought a pair of tickets to see it for the fourth time.

This time taking one of my best friends to see it in (true) IMAX 3-D

He also explains what suddenly woke up Artoo.

Spoiler:
BB-8 just asked him if he happened to have the missing piece of the map, which brought him out of low-power mode. Mmkay...
I assumed
Spoiler:
Rey showing up at the Resistance Base is what 'woke up' R2. Which goes with the theory that folks are throwing around about her being related to Luke.
Old 12-21-15, 05:11 AM

Here's some deleted scene info (originally reported in August of last year). Yet another "homage" to A New Hope:

In the rumor pile, someone on the StarWars7News message board claims to have seen some footage and posted a description of a scene. This same story was posted on TheForce.net message boards about a month ago, but it may be the same guy spreading it again.

Spoiler:
Daisy Ridley's character walks into a cantina with Chewie (who has his arm in a sling). She is confronted by an alien and points a blaster at him. He tells her not to point that thing at someone if she's not prepared to use it, then snatches it from her. Chewie steps up to the guy, but he says "What good is a one-armed Wookiee?" Chewie then proceeds to rip the alien's arm from it's socket and hand the blaster back to the girl.

At first, I thought this read like fanfic because it's way too similar to the scene where Luke gets confronted at the bar in A New Hope. It also sounds a bit graphic, but I guess that would depend on how it's shot and what the alien looks like.
Well, that exact scene is in the novelization.

Spoiler:
The alien in Unkar Plutt (the scrap dealer played by Simon Pegg). He had placed a homing device on the Falcon before the kids took it and follows them to Maz Kanata's castle. Rey can't fire the blaster because the safety is still on. This takes place right before the female spy tells the First Order that BB-8 is at the pub.

Here's a still of them preparing to shoot the scene. You can see Chewie just over Abrams head:

Last edited by joe_b; 12-21-15 at 06:00 AM.
Old 12-21-15, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Easily the "worst" - or the most unremarkable - Star Wars score Williams has composed. Here's one area where prequel lovers can say their movies were better.

This new Star Wars score may actually be WORSE than Williams' score for INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL...and that's saying a lot.
Old 12-21-15, 06:51 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm suprised at how many kids/teenagers love this movie. I talked to my nephews (they range from 10 to 16) and all of them and their friends love the movie. None of them saw any PT movies in the theater so this is their first experience, and alot of them are saying they really feel this trilogy is their trilogy and the OT is our trilogy.

And the PT is no one's generation.

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Easily the "worst" - or the most unremarkable - Star Wars score Williams has composed. Here's one area where prequel lovers can say their movies were better.
The score was a bit underwhelming as there is usually one theme that is memorable like Duel of Fates was to the terrible TPM movie. I wonder if JJ pushed a more subtle score so it doesn't define the movie, where Lucas always wanted the music to define each scene as he looked at it more as a space opera. I haven't seen much of JJ's previous movies, but are all his scores more subtle like TFA?
Old 12-21-15, 09:09 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not really. They're pretty much right there w/ everything else. It doesn't hide.
Old 12-21-15, 09:55 AM

I took a 16yo to see TFA. His primary exposure to the SW universe has been the Clone Wars series. He's seen the PT trilogy once, and only aware of the OT via the Family Guy parodies. He loved TFA and now wants to see the OT to get Luke's story.
Old 12-21-15, 05:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Unknown, S: Unknown)

Originally Posted by DJariya
I wonder how many pages this thread will be by the time the movie opens in 2015.

It's going to be a total Geek wish list for all the Star Wars Nerds here.
i see 245!
Old 12-21-15, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

This new Star Wars score may actually be WORSE than Williams' score for INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL...and that's saying a lot.
Couldn't disagree more. I think it was the best score Williams has done SINCE "Duel of the Fates." Outside of that the prequel scores were extremely forgettable, almost like he phoned them in.
Old 12-22-15, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I think it was the best score Williams has done SINCE "Duel of the Fates." Outside of that the prequel scores were extremely forgettable, almost like he phoned them in.
Wow, I feel the exact opposite. If anything, the scores were the strongest part of the prequels. I consider "Across the Stars" to be a very memorable theme. Then there's the intense, drum driven music from the Coruscant speeder chase (with a hint of electric guitar)... the haunting female vocals when Dooku meets Sidious in the hanger bay. Just rich, beautiful stuff -- and that's only what I recall off the top of my head.

So far, "The Jedi Steps" is the highlight from the TFA soundtrack for me. Even that track is very simple and subdued.
Old 12-22-15, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Wow, I feel the exact opposite. If anything, the scores were the strongest part of the prequels. I consider "Across the Stars" to be a very memorable theme. Then there's the intense, drum driven music from the Coruscant speeder chase (with a hint of electric guitar)... the haunting female vocals when Dooku meets Sidious in the hanger bay. Just rich, beautiful stuff -- and that's only what I recall off the top of my head.

So far, "The Jedi Steps" is the highlight from the TFA soundtrack for me. Even that track is very simple and subdued.
Have to agree here. I love the prequel scores almost as much as the OT scores. So many great themes.

I think the lacking score for TFA maybe be why some people feel the film is a little "off". The score is really a huge part of the Star Wars feel - more so than in most films IMO.
Old 12-22-15, 01:47 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Old 12-24-15, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I just went back and read the first couple pages of this thread. There's some pretty funny comments considering the movie is out and crushing it, especially the posts by Terrell, lol
Old 12-25-15, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Star Wars: Episode VII (2015, D: Unknown, S: Unknown)

Originally Posted by Finisher
Toys. Merchandising. Video games. The movies have always just been promotion for the toy/merchandising empire. ILM also must be a cash cow.

I could see them getting JJ Abrams to do for Star Wars what he did for Star Trek. I'd personally be more interested in seeing someone like Fincher, but as long as Lucas is still involved you'll see someone safe.
Good call man!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.